HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 28, 2012, 4:11 PM

Mayor Hobbs has proposed a replacement for the James Street bridge in his State of the City address.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/cont...iminary-stages

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
Mayor Hobbs has proposed a replacement for the James Street bridge in his State of the City address.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/cont...iminary-stages
I think this bridge will become an absolute necessity into the future. Traffic between FWFN and Thunder Bay has been growing for years now, with the exception of the loss of traffic attributed to closure of the Abitibi mill. While many travel to FWFN for cheap gas and cigarettes, the number of people employed on the band's territory (ie Resolute mill, Dilico, Cargill etc.) is also growing. It also sounds like the mining strategy being proposed for Thunder Bay will also promote further economic development on FWFN land. Couple all this with the slowly deteriorating condition of the James St. swing bridge, and the time is quickly approaching to build a new link.

What worries me is the mayor is quoted as saying this could be a $100 million project. Not too many years ago the Island Dr. bridge was put up for only $11 million. When you consider that Golf Links and Valley Dr are going to be four-laned in the near future, the Northwest Arterial needs to be built, the Harbour Expressway will need re-surfacing soon in addition to other work around town, is $100 million really affordable? I would hope the city and FWFN would at least approach CN to get a lump of cash to release CN of its liability in looking after the swing bridge for vehicular traffic, but I doubt very much they will cough up a substantial portion of the cost of a new bridge elsewhere.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2012, 10:48 PM
I am a typical

I think the biggest different in the price will be how the bridge is constructed. Island Drive Bridge is a really, really inexpensive type of bridge (integral abutment, the ground supports the ends of the bridge), and typically isn't used for constructions that large aside from overpasses. It was possible for that location because of all the space available (they basically had a blank slate to build that bridge), but working along the Kam River is going to be very different. There are a lot of development along it, there are rail yards, overhead and underground infrastructure has to be accommodated.

If the bridge is going in a completely different location, like my suggestion this time last year for a new bridge to link Syndicate with Mission Road, we're going to need a lot of local road infrastructure improvements to accommodate traffic, so that would factor into the cost as well.

Because the CN Bridge is the only rail link to that side of the river, it can't be shut down by construction, so building a new bridge at the end of James Street is unlikely. It can be done (Winnipeg built its new elevated Disraeli Freeway immediately beside the old one with only minor affects on traffic flow) but is it practical or necessary for a city this size?

Also noticed, it looks like elevator shafts are starting to rise at the Marriott location by Superstore.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 12:53 AM

I figured that would be your response. I realize this project would be a whole lot more complex than the Island Dr. bridge, but ten times the cost still seems a bit high. I think until we start discussing location though, putting a price tag on the project is premature because of the nature of the Kam River and its banks in that area. We would also have to consider some details of the project, like type of bridge, height (for ships as you pointed out in your diagram), and number of lanes, to name a few factors.

I think you may have to add an overpass or underpass to your diagram for traffic pass over or under the railway tracks adjacent to Mission Rd. I would think it would more likely be an underpass due to the limited room between the railway tracks and Mission Rd. To build a brand new bridge to more efficiently move traffic but still stop traffic at that railway line would be somewhat puzzling. Also, I believe the new solar park located on FWFN went along side Darrel Ave., under where "Bridge Ramp" is, so that would have to be taken into consideration if the new bridge was to link to Syndicate. It seems the ROW over to Mission Rd has been maintained though, and the solar park does not extend all the way to the banks of the Kam. It may be a non-issue altogether.

It certainly would increase traffic along Syndicate Ave. and areas around the south core. Perhaps the project could indirectly serve to breathe a little life back into that stretch of Syndicate and help out the south core a little more on top of its intended purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Also noticed, it looks like elevator shafts are starting to rise at the Marriott location by Superstore.
One elevator shaft at the centre of the building and two stairwells and either end. Work has paused for the holidays. A large load of structural steel also arrived on the Friday before Christmas. I'm not sure if its the project manager, developer or the owner, but someone in that realm wants to see the building going up at a pace of one storey per week. This is, of course, not going to happen. There simply isn't the labour and equipment available to do this in Thunder Bay like there would be in Toronto, especially with the very busy local construction scene at the moment. This does mean we should see the building go up fairly quickly though because those higher up the ladder want it done quickly.

Last edited by TbayON; Dec 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 2:03 AM
I am a typical

I think traffic on those lines is light enough that line that an overpass isn't necessary unless they park trains on it all the time. Most of the time I am down there the track is clear. I don't think it will be too much of an issue, as we're not really moving traffic faster, just more safely.

Traffic on Syndicate would certainly help the south core. There is quite a business park in FWFN, and giving them easier access to downtown will boost the lunch scene.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2012, 2:12 AM

Quote:
I think traffic on those lines is light enough that line that an overpass isn't necessary unless they park trains on it all the time. Most of the time I am down there the track is clear.
The line is clear around the swing bridge and Coastal Steel most often. Its not too often you get stopped at the swing bridge to wait for a train. The railway tends to shunt cars around a lot and park trains once you get down around K&A Variety and THP Gas Bar though. I see a lot of trains parked there. The sawmill is also ramping up production quite a bit, which will add to the train traffic. Cargill is doing quite a brisk amount of business as well, which requires additional rail volume. A mining related development on that spur line could really increase traffic too.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2013, 12:39 AM

Funds were announced today to expand St. Martin's School. The province is providing $3.6 million to add kindergarten classrooms and a gymnasium addition. The project will begin in August and be completed by summer 2014.

The Thunder Bay International Airport once again had another record year in terms of passenger volumes. More than 761 000 people went through the airport, an almost 6% increase over 2011, which was also a record year. The airport authority believes 2013 will be yet another record year.

The city experienced a strong year in terms of construction. About $220 million worth of building permits was handed out by the city this year. It is one of the best years on record. The city building dept. believes 2013 will be just as busy with the waterfront development, developments by St. Joe's, the arrival of Target, the construction of the new tower at the hospital in addition to some other apartment buildings, to name a few projects. The city also says the have been in discussions with some more hoteliers who are interested in developing in the city. No names were given by the city, but I heard a rumour Radisson may be looking here.

Another area that helped boost construction this year was home starts. Thunder Bay saw 227 single detached starts, only the third time in almost 2 decades the 200 mark was broken. Total starts in all housing sectors this year was 380 units. The CMHC is predicting next year will see continued strength in home building locally (not that their predictions mean much as they tend to be out of touch with the local situation at times). A significant injection of new building lots is going to be required immediately to meet demand though as there is a very short supply of lots currently.

2013 may also finally see the lumber sector turn the corner and return to better days in Northwestern Ontario. Many industry insiders as well as investment firms and banks is that now is the time to buy into the lumber and OSB sector as demand is forecast to grow and production has been significantly cut nationwide following the recession and crash of the lumber industry. Speculation is swirling around several Northern Ontario mills that may be re-opening, mostly at idled mills in Hudson, Ear Falls, Kenora and Longlac.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 8:28 PM

Does anyone have any information on the planned development north of Sherwood Estates off of Scarlet ave?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Does anyone have any information on the planned development north of Sherwood Estates off of Scarlet ave?
Not I.

======

Construction is beginning on the waterfront condos and hotel. All buildings will go up at the same time. All units in both buildings that have direct views of the lake have been sold (all units will have a lake view, but the ones nearest Lake Superior have all been sold now). Thunder Bay now has the second highest hotel occupancy rate in Canada, so the hotel is desperately needed. Construction is expected to be completed in spring 2014. That is a very tight deadline in this town for 3 mid-rise buildings. Manshield is the general contractor and Brook McIlroy is the architect.

http://www.northernontariobusiness.c...aterfront.aspx

Old Posted Jan 18, 2013, 7:28 PM

Hey, I used to live in Thunder Bay during university and I moved away about 3 years ago. Reading the last few posts would suggest the city might be pulling itself out of the slump it was in when I left. New hotels and apartment units! That's great news! Has anything else changed?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 2:42 AM
I am a typical

This city has seriously changed a lot in the past few years. Compared to 3 years ago, downtown Fort William is quite different with the construction along Brodie Street, the area along Golf Links is quite developed now, and the waterfront is unrecognizable.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 3:21 AM
I am a typical

A more up-to-date render from the Vue Condos website:

http://www.vuecondos.ca/project.htm

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenChurch View Post
Hey, I used to live in Thunder Bay during university and I moved away about 3 years ago. Reading the last few posts would suggest the city might be pulling itself out of the slump it was in when I left. New hotels and apartment units! That's great news! Has anything else changed?
In addition to what Vid said, you should also keep in mind 3 years ago now was around the time most developed economies plunged into a full fledged recession. The city itself was in a slump since the early 2000's. Things are changing quite rapidly. Mining has the potential to make Thunder Bay the Fort McMurray of Ontario. There is potential for around a dozen major mines to be established in the area in the next few years. Estimates of 8000-50 000 new jobs associated with mining have been floated around for Thunder Bay. Thunder Bay recently received a couple significant awards for its mining plans at a major North American infrastructure conference, beating out places like Los Angeles to win.

The hospital and associated research institute have also been growing rapidly. Thunder Bay is quickly becoming well known in the area of medical research. A medical cluster is quickly growing around the hospital, with the likes of the Fort William Clinic and the Spence Clinic moving into the area. The university and college also continue to expand programs, and enrollment is growing at both institutions, as are the number of employees.

Forestry is struggling back to life after 10 dismal years. Resolute Forest Products (which would have been Abitibi-Bowater when you were here) is in a full fledged hiring spree to replace retiring workers. They are also significantly expanding production at their Mission sawmill. Other mills in the region will be re-opening later this year with an improving lumber market.

There seems to be a renewed sense of optimism locally that the future is bright. Of course, there are still naysayers and those who don't want anything to change, but they are slowly being drowned out. Thunder Bay is in the midst of a construction boom that will last quite a few years, and the city is changing fast. I think if you were to come back for a visit in a couple years time, you wouldn't recognize the place.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 8:05 PM

Kenora Forest Products has officially announced they intend to re-open their mill in June of this year. In addition to re-opening, their long-term plans involve a relocation and significant expansion. The re-opening will initially generate 50 new jobs for Kenora, and once full production is achieved, around 115 jobs will be created.

http://www.kenoraonline.com/index.ph...254&Itemid=160

Old Posted Jan 21, 2013, 8:25 PM

It's been rumoured for a while, but Netnewsledger and the CBC have confirmed that Renco is taking over the former Quality Market space in Centennial Square.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 12:18 AM
I am a typical

Heard that at work today. It's not the same. Quality Market had standards. But maybe it will work out. Hopefully they'll have better hours.

Village Market in Current River is closing or has closed. It has really gone downhill in the past few years.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 5:49 PM

Ontario government has announced a study that will focus on the Thunder Bay Expressway. The province is going to look at Highway 11/17 from Balsam St. to the Harbour Expressway and Highway 61 from the Harbour Expressway to Arthur St. A preliminary design study and environmental assessment will be undertaken on "possible improvements that include widening to a four-lane divided roadway and building new interchanges". The study will begin this summer and be complete in 2015.

Problems:
1. Try and find the workforce to do the work post-2015.
2. We need the work done sooner than it will even be considered, and just by coincidence that accident that occurred by John St. last evening is a perfect example why.
3. Similar studies have been completed in the past, with no results yet.
4. Why divide the road? Why not widen the existing roadbed a bit and use a centre barrier and save yourself a whole whack of cash that will otherwise be spent making a second roadbed.
5. Studying to Arthur St. will not be enough. Highway 61 will have to be examined at the very least to the Mountain Rd. and 20th Sideroad intersection by the Nor'wester Hotel, and preferably all the way to the Highway 130 intersection. That is unless the province is still pondering trying to download that section of Highway 61 to the city.

I shouldn't complain too much though, at least they are taking some action.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
I am a typical

I think the project that started in the 90s was going bit by bit down the highway. Starting with Hodder to Balsam (which was completed), then Balsam to Red River (with an interchange at Red River), and at that point the PCs were elected and the whole project was cancelled just after they started moving things to accommodate a ParClo. The Shabaqua Extension also got put on hold at around the same time.

Anyway, I was saying the whole time that the Hodder Avenue interchange was being built so that the province could effectively detour traffic while they finish the highway, and here you go. The province is working on finishing the highway.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2013, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Anyway, I was saying the whole time that the Hodder Avenue interchange was being built so that the province could effectively detour traffic while they finish the highway, and here you go. The province is working on finishing the highway.
Not sure exactly what you mean by that. Where do you think the province is going to detour traffic involving the Hodder interchange?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 2:44 AM
I am a typical

City roads. There will be a few occasions (due to the constricted nature of the urban intersections) where they will be forced to shut down a stretch of the highway. Traffic will have to detour via Hodder Avenue.

I think it's very likely they'll start with Balsam and work their way south from there. A Balsam interchange would be very simple to install. The Arthur Street one will be the most difficult, probably why they are ending the study there. I have a feeling that Arthur won't receive an interchange at all. Red River Road is already partly ready for an interchange so they'll probably do that one sooner than the others as well.

Do you think it is possible they will download 61 and merge it with the Harbour Expressway, so that traffic on 11/17 is seamless?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario