HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 11:22 PM

I thought that has been the case off and on for years now. Atlanta isn’t number one for air craft movements only for passengers.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 11:37 PM

The dynamic here is that Delta has been replacing smaller regional jets with bigger mainline jets. Often that means fewer flights, but more passengers. At O'Hare, American and United have been adding a lot of new regional jet flying. So lots of new "movements" at O'Hare, but nothing that really impacts relative passenger numbers yet. Once O'Hare finishes its giant redevelopment in a decade or so, It will be well positioned to take on ATL.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetlanta View Post
The dynamic here is that Delta has been replacing smaller regional jets with bigger mainline jets. Often that means fewer flights, but more passengers. At O'Hare, American and United have been adding a lot of new regional jet flying. So lots of new "movements" at O'Hare, but nothing that really impacts relative passenger numbers yet. Once O'Hare finishes its giant redevelopment in a decade or so, It will be well positioned to take on ATL.
Actually Beijing, Istanbul, and Dubai will all pass Atlanta and Chicago in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
I thought that has been the case off and on for years now. Atlanta isn’t number one for air craft movements only for passengers.
A simply google search will Atlanta was the busiest for both for a long time.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Wrong Delta have actually increase flights, but Southwest have been steadily cutting flight since the Air Tran merger.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:52 AM
AK

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:56 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
O’hare is on track to take the World Busiest Airport for aircraft movement - ATL will still be the busiest passenger airport.
This also happened in the year 2014 but Atlanta has been the busiest ever since so I expect it to be short-lived

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Actually Beijing, Istanbul, and Dubai will all pass Atlanta and Chicago in the near future.
Well, since we were specifically taking about Chicago, I was referring to Chicago. If you want to get technical, Beijing will likely NOT pass ATL soon because the 2nd Beijing airport opens next year and nearly all operations for China Eastern, China Southern and their partners are scheduled to move to Beijing Daxing International Airport in late 2019. So Beijing Capitol Airport will see a significant reduction in traffic for a number of years.

Dubai will likely be the airport that replaces ATL at the top of the list, but they are still about 10% behind ATL. At the anticipated growth rate, it will still be a few years.

Istanbul's new airport will be amazing and will likely surpass ATL someday also. But the current airport there only handled 65M passengers last year, 40M fewer than ATL. Turkish Airlines is growing, but doesn't have nearly enough aircraft on order to make up that gap any time soon.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Wrong Delta have actually increase flights, but Southwest have been steadily cutting flight since the Air Tran merger.
I was trying to describe the general dynamic. I was not saying Delta has cut flights at ATL. The point is that Delta is increasing capacity in ATL by using bigger airplanes, while United and American are increasing capacity in Chicago by using smaller airplanes (and more flights). As they get further into their fleet renewals, they will also start replacing smaller aircraft and will see a flattening (or reduction) in the number of operations but a likely increase in seats/traffic,

BTW..I was trying to be helpful in this discussion by providing some context. I'm not an urban development expert so I usually just enjoy reading this forum. But I am a commercial aviation expert, so I occasionally will chime in if I can be helpful. Your tone above was crap. Your point is technically true, but it doesn't contradict mine. There was nothing "Wrong" about the point I made.

In fact, I described one of the most interesting phenomenons in commercial aviation today. Combined with a severe pilot shortage, there is a long-term trend towards larger aircraft that will moderate the number of total operations while still allowing for capacity growth. This is how ATL has maintained its lead over Chicago while Chicago has had more operations. Delta is simply ahead of UA and AA in this fleet upguage process.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:16 PM

Jetlanta - thanks for sharing your insightful comments.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Jetlanta - thanks for sharing your insightful comments.
Thanks. I'm happy contribute. We have the most marvelous piece of aviation infrastructure in the world. It isn't the fanciest, the biggest, or the prettiest...just the most amazing. The ability to squeeze 105M passengers through an airport sitting on that small of a footprint is a marvel of design and engineering. It will someday be eclipsed by airports in more populated, faster growing regions. But it will always be special because it was the first-of-its-kind in terms of airfield and terminal design. Pretty much everything since has been some sort of variation.

And, most importantly, it MADE Atlanta into what it is today and what it will become tomorrow.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks. I'm happy contribute. We have the most marvelous piece of aviation infrastructure in the world. It isn't the fanciest, the biggest, or the prettiest...just the most amazing. The ability to squeeze 105M passengers through an airport sitting on that small of a footprint is a marvel of design and engineering. It will someday be eclipsed by airports in more populated, faster growing regions. But it will always be special because it was the first-of-its-kind in terms of airfield and terminal design. Pretty much everything since has been some sort of variation.

And, most importantly, it MADE Atlanta into what it is today and what it will become tomorrow.
Yes, indeed, Jetlanta..you commercial aviation expert!! And, ATL will forever be the first to serve 100M passengers and to hold the distinction for several years before being surpassed by one of those up & coming, ever expanding airports. Even when that happens, ATL will still grow, for as long as it continues to increase gate capacity and gauging of aircraft generally keeps ticking up.

ATLotb

Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, they did. They cutting some flights during Air Tran merger. So that's why they dropped TYS, PHF, FNT, PWM, DAB, GPT, SRQ, and a few other city, as well.

Quote:
Yes, if they passed 100 millions passengers. As long if they build a new Dubai Airport. Soon, new Beijing Daxing airport is schedule to open for next year. Some airlines will moved to new Beijing airport.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 8:11 PM

We haven't hear any news construction lately. Can we share a new construction photos?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 3:26 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2018, 1:59 PM

That looks amazing/////

Old Posted Dec 25, 2018, 6:46 AM

Wow! It's so beautiful!!!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 4:06 PM

Work on modernizing the North Terminal facade has started.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2018, 10:55 PM

deleted

Last edited by AtlHeel; Dec 27, 2018 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2018, 2:27 AM

God, I hadn't even thought of how the canopy would protect the work below from the elements. Pretty clever! Loved the Christmas colors too

These guys really know what they're doing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta