HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 5:55 PM
Community Guy

It's one consideration.

Excess supply is not healthy as it is costly.

Excess demand indicates that your market is attractive to move to and/or for investors.

It's not about unnecessarily driving up rents and housing prices, but it is one indicator of how attractive your market/city is...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 6:08 PM

What's the impact on rental rates of having a significant amount of older stock because you grew and developed your multi family earlier? Let's call it the curse of the three story walkup, the never to be torn down, but never to be highly desirable structure.

If there was excess supply, why aren't vacancy rates crazy high and why are so many people moving to the area when there isn't a significant amount being built?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 6:51 PM
Community Guy

Those certainly impact the overall average...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
He's making it seem that being an affordable place to live is a bad thing lol
That's his schtick here and on Skyrise as well.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 3:17 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
It's one consideration.

Excess supply is not healthy as it is costly.

Excess demand indicates that your market is attractive to move to and/or for investors.

It's not about unnecessarily driving up rents and housing prices, but it is one indicator of how attractive your market/city is...

no

The only people that care about skyrocketing housing prices are those that are flipping or using real estate as an investment.

People want to live in affordable housing, where they can still have a lifestyle and not be house poor.

IanO, you continue to show just how out of touch with the real world you are.

Stay in Canmore bud.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Those certainly impact the overall average...
Probably fairly substantial as well, though we don't know from this information because there is no parity equalization performed for the available rental stock.
Let's also ask what impact does SFH or Condo pricing have on rental demand?Edmonton has by far the best affordability on SFH and Condos of the five major Canadian cities and so there appears to be lots of demand in the region, but it would be skewed towards ownership.

Wouldn't a better set of data for your conclusion be the rental rates of NEW purpose-built rental of equivalent stock (ie you are probably focused on high rise)? Does that show the same deltas? From my lay intake of information, Edmonton's rental rates for new highrise projects seems to be pretty expensive and uptake seems decent.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
From my lay intake of information, Edmonton's rental rates for new highrise projects seems to be pretty expensive and uptake seems decent.
My impression as well and I am VERY curious to know who is going to rent them as opposed to buying, for less monthly payments, for a detached.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 7:43 PM
Community Guy

^many reasons.

-no down payment (a significant barrier for many)
-cannot meet the 'stress test'
-little risk exposure in terms of maintenance or unforeseen costs
-'set it and forget it' if you travel or the like
-temporary nature of some folks work or locations

It's akin to leasing a car over buying in many ways.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 12:08 AM

Quote:
^many reasons.

-no down payment (a significant barrier for many)
-cannot meet the 'stress test'
-little risk exposure in terms of maintenance or unforeseen costs
-'set it and forget it' if you travel or the like
-temporary nature of some folks work or locations

It's akin to leasing a car over buying in many ways.
Aren't the rents in these new building quite high? I understand that a down payment can be significant for some (some I assume that would not rent a brand new expensive rental), but then these rentals must be for a very niche Edmonton market, no? Or are these renters folks that would otherwise be buying a condo and can afford all the elements that come with a condo but choose not to?

I just assume that if you can afford these rents in Edmonton you can afford a down payment.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 12:45 AM
Community Guy

Not necessarily and like office, there is a 'flight to quality' in rental housing as well for many.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 3:11 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Not necessarily and like office, there is a 'flight to quality' in rental housing as well for many.
Correct.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 5:18 PM
Community Guy

Council to consider new Public Spaces Bylaw
January 19, 2024

City Councillors are set to discuss a proposed new bylaw that would consolidate the rules governing public spaces.

The Public Spaces Bylaw provides clarity around competing uses and acceptable behaviour in public spaces. The change creates a single consistent bylaw around the rules governing public spaces. The consolidated bylaws are:
Conduct of Transit Passengers Bylaw (Bylaw 8353)
Parkland Bylaw (Bylaw 2202)
Public Places Bylaw (Bylaw 14614)

The changes build on Council’s work to improve experiences in public spaces, while reflecting insights from Edmontonians and practices from other jurisdictions. City Administration conducted a full-scale review of bylaws governing transit and other public spaces in 2022, studied similar bylaws in other Canadian municipalities, and sought feedback from Edmontonians.

The proposed bylaw would give Edmontonians new opportunities such as allowing food truck vendors with a valid business license to operate from legal parking locations on public roadways, and allowing operation of Micro- or Mini-drones (under 250 grams) within designated areas.

Other provisions are designed to improve experiences and uses of public spaces, for example new restrictions around the use of sound amplification systems. The bylaw will also add clarity around rules for signage, stickers, decals or posters in public spaces.

Several additions or adjustments have been included to improve public safety:
What is considered a weapon in public spaces will now include pepper spray and devices designed to provide an electric shock.
Panhandling is not permitted on a roadway to ensure the safety of all public space and roadway users.
Restricted dogs are not permitted to enter an off-leash area.
A lifejacket must be worn on any vessel on the North Saskatchewan river or other naturally occurring body of water.

The Public Spaces Bylaw will first be discussed by Council at a non-statutory public hearing on February 2 and If passed there will be a three month period before the bylaw comes into force. It would take effect on May 13, 2024. This will allow time for public education and internal implementation work.

Media contact:
Justin Townell
Integrated Communications
Office of the City Manager
587-873-7099

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 7:46 PM

I hope this ammendment:

Panhandling is not permitted on a roadway to ensure the safety of all public space and roadway users.

Includes those that are on road median panhandling.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
I hope this ammendment:

Includes those that are on road median panhandling.
Found out that it also includes the median.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 6:53 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...lars-1.7081851

Did not realise that the Province has gradually cut funding to the EMRB and forced municipalities to plug the gap. Just another underhanded tactic to pass the buck onto the lower tier of government.

Last edited by foolworm; Jan 20, 2024 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 7:20 AM

But 100 million spent in Needless (BIKE LANES) The CBC lol. They are circling the drain as we speak.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 1:57 PM
Change is good

show us where the bike lanes hurt you.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 4:13 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
But 100 million spent in Needless (BIKE LANES) The CBC lol. They are circling the drain as we speak.
Ha, typical. I bet you're a real gem in your respective field of work. Keep doin' you tho...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 5:28 PM

Black Star has been on my Ignore List for a long while now - I suggest you all do the same if you value your sanity.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2024, 2:24 PM
Community Guy

Another very senior and impactful position will soon be open with Adam's departure. While I might have not always been overly supportive of the department's delivery models and performance, Adam was one of the most thoughtful and kind people at the CEO.
---

Adam Laughlin, the deputy city manager for Integrated Infrastructure Services at the City of Edmonton is set to leave his position on Feb. 2, Postmedia reported. His departure marks the fifth high-ranking official to leave the city’s executive leadership team in the past year, following a series of departures that began in March 2023. Laughlin has been with the city since 2005 and played a key role in Edmonton’s infrastructure projects and pandemic response.-Taproot

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton