HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 1:39 PM

According to BSL the mystery developer of the lot west of Astra is CW Urban… the bad news is that the tower is 16-17 stories.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 3:51 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
According to BSL the mystery developer of the lot west of Astra is CW Urban… the bad news is that the tower is 16-17 stories.
And the cat's out of the bag.

https://buildingsaltlake.com/cw-urba...regent-street/

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCHenry View Post
Sometimes I think I’m taking crazy pills here. 16 stories, condos, ground floor activation on Regent gets announced and we immediately get complaints. In this building environment. Good lord.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 3:55 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
Sometimes I think I’m taking crazy pills here. 16 stories, condos, ground floor activation on Regent gets announced and we immediately get complaints. In this building environment. Good lord.
Haha yeah. But you won't hear a complaint from me. I didn't want a large tower casting shadows on the Astra pool deck.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 4:18 PM

We as a city could use alot of towers in the 15 to 25 story range. The more of these we get the better.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 5:16 PM

Seems good to me, especially considering they could have proposed something akin to their project on the southwest corner of 200 S 200 E.

Also it's a shame that BSL has implemented a paywall. Do they really think their content is worth $10/month? Guess I'll just have to read the headlines from now on.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 6:31 PM

/\/\/\ I just ran into that, too. I got one free article, and then blocked. We'll see if this bet pays off for BSL.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 9:39 PM

Yeah I haven’t been impressed by anything developed by CW Urban, at least they are aiming for more than 6 stories this time.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 10:39 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
People complain because of what has been previously proposed there and the fact it's a pretty significant lot, which means it'll be taken up by a fairly inconsequential development.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 10:42 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
We as a city could use alot of towers in the 15 to 25 story range. The more of these we get the better.
lol that's pretty much downtown Salt Lake already.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 10:55 PM
Exit 298

In fairness, I'd rather continue to see, say, 4 new 15-story buildings than one 60-story building.

I think downtown looks better with many medium-rises than it one tall building dominating the skyline. And it spreads out residential density across the city which promotes more ground-level retail.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
lol that's pretty much downtown Salt Lake already.
I know I'm playing with fire sparking another height debate, but there's only a handful of residential towers in Salt Lake City that are 15+ stories, and like, what, 3 that are 25+ stories? Astra, Worthington, and 99 West? The South Temple tower conversion might make 4.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I know I'm playing with fire sparking another height debate, but there's only a handful of residential towers in Salt Lake City that are 15+ stories, and like, what, 3 that are 25+ stories? Astra, Worthington, and 99 West? The South Temple tower conversion might make 4.
American Towers makes 6.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
What’s your point?

Every notable building (height-wise) in SLC is in the 15-25 story range.

https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=90

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:00 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
In fairness, I'd rather continue to see, say, 4 new 15-story buildings than one 60-story building.

I think downtown looks better with many medium-rises than it one tall building dominating the skyline. And it spreads out residential density across the city which promotes more ground-level retail.
If we're just making up random options, I'd take four 40 story towers over one 15 story mid-rise.

How about that?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:05 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
What’s your point?

Every notable building (height-wise) in SLC is in the 15-25 story range.

https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=90
Right. The amount of stories is pretty irrelevant to height.

The American Towers have 26 stories, which is the same amount as the Wells Fargo Center and yet, those two towers are 100 feet smaller.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 4:26 PM

The fact that a developer if FINALLY building condos is great for downtown overall. Since there were no other condos being constructed (that I know of) I am not surprised the tower will be in the 15-16 story range, since why would a developer start with a massive 30-story tower from the get go? Too risky.

Same thing happened when I lived in Austin, I remember the "Plaza Lofts" built around 20-years ago and was around 8-stories, then a few others constructed soon after...then BOOM, developers started building 30-40+ story towers. Maybe that will happen in Salt Lake..? Once the green loop is built, the entertainment district, downtown will be hoppin.

Moreover, walking around many of the southern or midwest cities pretty much suck in the summertime, with 95 degree heat and 85% humidity. Even on the hottest day in Salt Lake, in the shade, it feels like absolute paradise compared to places like Austin, Houston, Tampa, Orlando, etc.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurich View Post
The fact that a developer if FINALLY building condos is great for downtown overall. Since there were no other condos being constructed (that I know of) I am not surprised the tower will be in the 15-16 story range, since why would a developer start with a massive 30-story tower from the get go? Too risky.

Same thing happened when I lived in Austin, I remember the "Plaza Lofts" built around 20-years ago and was around 8-stories, then a few others constructed soon after...then BOOM, developers started building 30-40+ story towers. Maybe that will happen in Salt Lake..? Once the green loop is built, the entertainment district, downtown will be hoppin.

Moreover, walking around many of the southern or midwest cities pretty much suck in the summertime, with 95 degree heat and 85% humidity. Even on the hottest day in Salt Lake, in the shade, it feels like absolute paradise compared to places like Austin, Houston, Tampa, Orlando, etc.
Not sure we can even compare SLC to Austin anymore, we are practically lightyears behind when it comes to condo development. As stated by someone else, it’s disappointing to see this particular plot of land taken up by a development that will ultimately be inconsequential. It’ll be better than Eat-A-Burger, but not much better than anything else.

And have you lived here? Summers in Utah are miserably hot, and they are only getting hotter(and fast). Last week, my phone turned itself off after overheating while I sat with it in the shade outside. It’s not humid here, thank god, but this is also the second driest state, which sucks too.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
And have you lived here? Summers in Utah are miserably hot, and they are only getting hotter(and fast). Last week, my phone turned itself off after overheating while I sat with it in the shade outside. It’s not humid here, thank god, but this is also the second driest state, which sucks too.
Utah summers are great. I miss them. Yeah there are some hot days, but mornings and evenings are pleasant. It's Satan's butthole here in South Texas during the summer

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 9:50 PM

Yes, there is a month or two where it can get too hot here in Salt Lake, but I've lived in Austin, Dallas and there is just no comparison. Trees and grass constantly die in Texas, so there is rarely shade, 140 degree concrete and still 90 degrees at midnight. If I were a condo developer looking for an up and coming city where people invest in the location because they want to dine outside, walk, bike and not almost die, I'd be looking at our downtown vs anywhere in the south. Sure Austin has a million high rises, but walking downtown, anywhere for 6-months out of the year just flat out sucks. My friends have all left downtown Austin... many moved north to Colorado, Oregon, Washington, etc. 60 story buildings do not = a great downtown. Even at this point, I would take downtown Salt Lake vs Austin any day of the week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West