HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I guess if they find really quick success , which given the hassles of connecting these days I think they will, is it easy for the airport to add on to a for more gates for them?
That's been a big question for a while. Supposedly there was room to extend to the east, but FAA rules may not allow it, given proximity to the runway and taxiway. Extending west would seem possible, but it starts to become too long of a walk without room for moving walkways. At any rate, the general terminal facilities may become maxed out before the gates do - I am already seeing that the north terminal parking is full and people are being re-directed to park at the south terminal, and we are nowhere near full operations. The pick-up and drop-off areas are routinely a mess, and security and baggage could be a limiting factor as well.

No one likes to admit it, but re-opening concourse D at the south terminal could be the best solution. They could easily move the airlines that have no connecting or international traffic, such as Breeze, Frontier, Allegiant, and Sun Country. Breeze could even make use of office space in the south terminal. Plus it is better positioned if NO-BR rail service ever starts with an airport stop.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 8:52 PM

MSY is NOT using the old terminal for commercial flights. MSY has made this clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
That's been a big question for a while. Supposedly there was room to extend to the east, but FAA rules may not allow it, given proximity to the runway and taxiway. Extending west would seem possible, but it starts to become too long of a walk without room for moving walkways. At any rate, the general terminal facilities may become maxed out before the gates do - I am already seeing that the north terminal parking is full and people are being re-directed to park at the south terminal, and we are nowhere near full operations. The pick-up and drop-off areas are routinely a mess, and security and baggage could be a limiting factor as well.

No one likes to admit it, but re-opening concourse D at the south terminal could be the best solution. They could easily move the airlines that have no connecting or international traffic, such as Breeze, Frontier, Allegiant, and Sun Country. Breeze could even make use of office space in the south terminal. Plus it is better positioned if NO-BR rail service ever starts with an airport stop.
MSY is NOT using the old terminal for commercial flights. They’ve made this VERY clear. It would be a disaster to even think of doing that.

Last edited by RickyJ; May 22, 2021 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
MSY is NOT using the old terminal for commercial flights. They’ve made this VERY clear. It would be disaster to even think of doing that.
As I said, "No one likes to admit it"

The fact is, the North Terminal was underbuilt. Even if they add more gates, there's no simple fix to the pick-up/drop-off traffic issues, not to mention security and baggage claim. The shuttles are slow and get stuck in traffic. A new rental car facility and additional garage on the north side would help, but those are many years away at best, especially with the current rental car facility being fairly new.

MSY has to preserve the newest part of the south terminal anyway due to federal funding. It's not that uncommon for busy airports to have separate terminal for different airlines. I'm not saying they'd reopen the south terminal soon, but don't see any other mid-term solution.

Old Posted May 23, 2021, 3:59 AM

Concourse A is specifically designed to allow for easy expansion. The long range vision is to have another concourse extend south much like B and C and add another 14 gates to the airport. This will require moving the fixed based operators to the southern side of the airport, but that is not a difficult thing to do.

One big issue for parking is that the surface lot on the west side of the terminal remains closed to the public. It made sense to close it when the pandemic hit, but it really needs to be back open now. That would allow for another 1,000 or so spaces of parking. It has been used for employee parking, but they need to go back to having the employees park in the old short term garage and then shuttle them over.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 12:05 AM

Plaza Tower has officially become a public nuisance and not just an eyesore. The fencing and netting is only a temporary solution, and I hope the road closures of two very important arteries (Loyola and Howard) will put more pressure on the owner to either renovate or sell the building. I would have to think that the Domain folks would prefer to have those streets open, so maybe there will be a push on their end to buy the building and renovate it. Either way, something needs to be done given the hazardous condition of the building.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...68bee57a0.html

Quote:
Plaza Tower, the hulking concrete monolith on Loyola Avenue that most city residents would rather forget, came crashing back into their collective consciousness this week when strong winds blew debris off the disused 45-story skyscraper and injured a passing cyclist...On Friday, city officials closed nearby portions of Howard Avenue and the downtown side of Loyola from Calliope to Girod streets. The streets will remain closed until the tower's current owner, local hotelier and developer Joe Jaeger, had installed additional fencing around the building and used netting to try and prevent debris from falling off of it. Also closed was Rampart Street from Howard to Girod.

courtesy nola.com

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 3:58 AM
NOLA Razorback

[QUOTE=SlidellWx;9289554]Plaza Tower has officially become a public nuisance and not just an eyesore. The fencing and netting is only a temporary solution, and I hope the road closures of two very important arteries (Loyola and Howard) will put more pressure on the owner to either renovate or sell the building. I would have to think that the Domain folks would prefer to have those streets open, so maybe there will be a push on their end to buy the building and renovate it. Either way, something needs to be done given the hazardous condition of the building.

Yeah Joe Jaeger's slumlord self is hopefully going to get TF sued out of him. He absolutely needs to sell it to someone that will actually renovate it. Good riddance.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 12:33 PM
-

[QUOTE=jjslonaker;9289690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Plaza Tower has officially become a public nuisance and not just an eyesore. The fencing and netting is only a temporary solution, and I hope the road closures of two very important arteries (Loyola and Howard) will put more pressure on the owner to either renovate or sell the building. I would have to think that the Domain folks would prefer to have those streets open, so maybe there will be a push on their end to buy the building and renovate it. Either way, something needs to be done given the hazardous condition of the building.

Yeah Joe Jaeger's slumlord self is hopefully going to get TF sued out of him. He absolutely needs to sell it to someone that will actually renovate it. Good riddance.
So true. Another example, he just built brick walls around the jung hotel on public property and hasnt gotten any permits to do so and just leaves the floodgates on the walls. I complain because cant even use the sidewalks and it looks like crap, but it still is there. Absolute disregard for public rights of way and public hazards.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 1:02 PM
-

6600 Franklin Ave·NPP Notifications · Project #21-0529 · Ref Code:EKJNQK
Download (5) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
NPP Notifications
Applicant:
Tyler Marquette
NPP Generated
Date Filed:
5/3/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
conditional use for mini warehouse at 6600 Franklin Ave, New Orleans

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 1:39 PM

Quote:
2021 Royal St·HDLC COA · Permit #21-12720-HDLC · Ref Code:TBPTZN
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Mathes Jonathan
Permit not required
Date Filed:
5/13/2021
Closed:
Yes
Description:
100’ pool
Wait ... what? A 100' swimming pool in the Marigny? Is this the Royal Frenchman tearing down the house next door to put in a pool? The neighborhood is going to love this one.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 2:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
Wait ... what? A 100' swimming pool in the Marigny? Is this the Royal Frenchman tearing down the house next door to put in a pool? The neighborhood is going to love this one.
Guess so... i was like damn a 100 foot pool is huge

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyJ View Post
MSY is NOT using the old terminal for commercial flights. They’ve made this VERY clear. It would be a disaster to even think of doing that.
Is there a reason why they have said this? If growth continues at the airport it would make sense for the low cost airlines to move back over to a scaled down version of the old terminal and Concourse D is just sitting there. I can think of a few other airports that have split terminals on different sides of the site. The best example i know of is Sacramento but even Austin TX uses a tiny terminal on the other side of the airport for budget airlines like allegant and Frontier.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 7:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickapedia View Post
Is there a reason why they have said this? If growth continues at the airport it would make sense for the low cost airlines to move back over to a scaled down version of the old terminal and Concourse D is just sitting there. I can think of a few other airports that have split terminals on different sides of the site. The best example i know of is Sacramento but even Austin TX uses a tiny terminal on the other side of the airport for budget airlines like allegant and Frontier.
If the growth and demand is there they would use terminal d for the interim , no question. No airport will turn away the business when they have a terminal sitting there right now. Austins little side terminal is awful but they use it or lose the business.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 9:17 PM
-

4621 Canal St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:T1CT44
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Angela Morton
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
5/24/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior Renovation for new PK-4 classroom, interior renovation for new PK classroom restroom. Interior renovation to add door for Calm Room.

djsnola
1433 St Charles Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:0WRLCY
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Seamus McGuire
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
5/24/2021
Closed:
No
Description:
Interior Renovation of Old St Charles Tavern to New Restaurant. Exterior work includes paint and new signage to replace existing. Other exterior work proposed are new single side door to match french door lite style, and new wooden entry door and restored clearstory above entry door.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 2:18 PM
-

Mercedes Benz Sprinter Dealership

LSU DORM

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:35 PM
-

840 Carondelet St·NPP Notifications · Project #21-0088 · Ref Code:Y36A6R
View Download (3) Print Summary Submit Remove from Watch List
Type:
NPP Notifications
Applicant:
Stephens Garage Building LLC
Meeting Scheduled
Date Filed:
1/27/2021
Closed:
Yes
Description:
The proposed potential use is a 20,000 sf hospitality use.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 6:46 PM
TL;DR

^ What on earth... love to pay top dollar for a windowless hotel room!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think its probably a glorified hostel.. but at least it uses the space... the bar restaurant looks neat though

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 3:08 AM

Quote:
840 Carondelet St·NPP Notifications · Project #21-0088 · Ref Code:Y36A6R
View Download (3) Print Summary Submit Remove from Watch List
Type:
NPP Notifications
Applicant:
Stephens Garage Building LLC
Meeting Scheduled
Date Filed:
1/27/2021
Closed:
Yes
Description:
The proposed potential use is a 20,000 sf hospitality use.
Honestly after his last few tries I’ve lost faith in Wisznia to pull off a good project. We’ll see how this salvaging goes. The Garage wasn’t done right or didn’t have the right market fit to begin with. The Maritime also failed and is now yet another STR in an overcrowded space. Anyone know what happened to Two Saints?

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 6:57 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
Honestly after his last few tries I’ve lost faith in Wisznia to pull off a good project. We’ll see how this salvaging goes. The Garage wasn’t done right or didn’t have the right market fit to begin with. The Maritime also failed and is now yet another STR in an overcrowded space. Anyone know what happened to Two Saints?
I hate to admit it but I agree, especially as a homeowner in the neighborhood. The garage was such a good idea but the actual implementation of it is awful/cheesy. Who would pay $600k+ for cinder block walls and ceiling tiles lmao. Basically everything else in the neighborhood is selling so it's clearly a them problem.

Old Posted May 30, 2021, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Honestly, hotel windows are overrated. When visiting a new city, I’m literally only using the hotel to sleep, s*it, and shower. I’m not normally paying for a view. If two hotels are identical, but the viewless rooms are $5 cheaper a night than one with a view of the wall of the adjacent building, there will be a big market for the less expensive option.

Just my two cents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations