HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:17 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkconno View Post
Some groups on this forum seem to be turning more NIMBY and anti-development (unless done their way) by the day.
I concur. All NIMBYs feel they're justified in opposing new development. Some hate downtown development because they hate tall buildings. Others because of traffic, or what it replaces, or the design.

They are no different than the homeowners living in their million dollar bungalows fighting updating our land development code. They have their reasons as well, and feel absolutely sure that their reasons are sound and justified.

This is why it's so difficult to build world class cities in this country in the modern era. Too many people with too much time on their hands doing everything they can to prevent progress.

People want to hinder progress in road and transit projects. Airport projects as well. Amazingly this city has still made huge strides in spite of it being an uphill battle. As someone who loves this place, hopefully it can continue to do so in spite of all the obstacles ahead.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkconno View Post
Some groups on this forum seem to be turning more NIMBY and anti-development (unless done their way) by the day.
Some groups take themselves too seriously and can't see how some comments are satirical and were obviously poking fun at it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomizer View Post
This is how rumors get started...

"Did you hear that supertall in Austin was cancelled? I read it on the internet, so it must be true!"
Like that Firestone getting cancelled. So sad.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post

Some groups take themselves too seriously and can't see how some comments are satirical and were obviously poking fun at it.
Humor doesn't always carry well over text, so you only have yourself to blame for the misunderstanding. In the future you may want to use or /s to indicate you're joking or being sarcastic.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:07 PM

Quote:

I knew you were kidding. You've been around long enough for us to know you are NOT anti construction.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:11 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
Like that Firestone getting cancelled. So sad.
The Firestone project is cancelled?!? YES!!!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
The Firestone project is cancelled?!? YES!!!
but... But... You were made about it in the other thread?!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Humor doesn't always carry well over text, so you only have yourself to blame for the misunderstanding. In the future you may want to use or /s to indicate you're joking or being sarcastic.
I mean, "cancel everything" should have been the dead give away. But tbh it's kinda more fun when people take you seriously.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:27 PM
Keep It Weird

Quote:
This is how rumors get started...

"Did you hear that supertall in Austin was cancelled? I read it on the internet, so it must be true!"
1 sardonic/sarcastic quote and all hell breaks loose in an otherwise reasonable thread LOL imagine that.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:35 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

Quote:
I mean, "cancel everything" should have been the dead give away. But tbh it's kinda more fun when people take you seriously.
Well, to be honest I didn't take your post seriously in the slightest.

My rant wasn't directed at you, or any single post in particular.

However, there have been posts on here recently that are incredibly NIMBY, and have stated very clearly that if they had it their way only a handful of the buildings constructed in the last 20 years would have moved forward.

Most aren't this extreme, but the overall tone does seem to have shifted into what seems negative imo.

I will never prefer parking lots or drive-thru banks over housing/office/storefronts.

This is very off topic for this thread, though...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Well, to be honest I didn't take your post seriously in the slightest.

My rant wasn't directed at you, or any single post in particular.

However, there have been posts on here recently that are incredibly NIMBY, and have stated very clearly that if they had it their way only a handful of the buildings constructed in the last 20 years would have moved forward.

Most aren't this extreme, but the overall tone does seem to have shifted into what seems negative imo.

I will never prefer parking lots or drive-thru banks over housing/office/storefronts.

This is very off topic for this thread, though...
So... you're being NIMBY about what can be posted on the Forum? Catch the irony there?! I can't recall one moment were someone has lamented a parking lot or drive -thru going away. Bitch about shitty filler architecture? Sure. Comes with the forum. Sorry/not sorry some of us prefer quality to quantity. For the record... I'm looking froward to this building ! And speaking of this building.....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
...And speaking of this building.....
I know it is back a few pages...But, when is the expected start of actual construction?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
I know it is back a few pages...But, when is the expected start of actual construction?
thanks for the volly!
I tried to find start date... failed. Sorry.
I'm sure one of the super sleuths on here will know !

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
The City has a moratorium on ROW permits Downtown during the Spring and Fall festival seasons. Everybody in the industry should be well aware of this by now. They have been doing it for over a decade. Closures that are already in place are allowed to remain for safety reasons, but work has to halt within the ROW, and new closures are not allowed.
That's not good! Would think the developers and construction managers would have known this and planned accordingly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:00 PM

It sincerely wasn't my intention to derail this thread. I thought my dumb comment would just get ignored like most of my comments. Lol

It shouldn't come as a surprise that a project of this caliber will have some setbacks. I'm just trying to imagine the amount of construction going on once all buildings break ground.

I have a lot of questions about this particular permit being denied. Like, why was it denied and what steps do these projects have to do to get the city to approve?

I imagine this is something that should be done over night on a weekday rather than in the day where it will cause more conflict with the traffic.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 11:28 PM

Addition to the mock-up includes more of the facade.

No ongoing work today either, maybe it’s due to the hiccup with the construction trailers.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 1:17 PM

How can there be mockups of the building onsite and no final renderings? Or is the last posted what we will see built.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
How can there be mockups of the building onsite and no final renderings? Or is the last posted what we will see built.
There are obviously final renderings somewhere. But since this project doesn't have condos that need to be sold, I'm not surprised we haven't seen them yet. We didn't see the final version of 321 West until after it started.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
I concur. All NIMBYs feel they're justified in opposing new development. Some hate downtown development because they hate tall buildings. Others because of traffic, or what it replaces, or the design.

They are no different than the homeowners living in their million dollar bungalows fighting updating our land development code. They have their reasons as well, and feel absolutely sure that their reasons are sound and justified.

This is why it's so difficult to build world class cities in this country in the modern era. Too many people with too much time on their hands doing everything they can to prevent progress.

People want to hinder progress in road and transit projects. Airport projects as well. Amazingly this city has still made huge strides in spite of it being an uphill battle. As someone who loves this place, hopefully it can continue to do so in spite of all the obstacles ahead.

Here here! WELL SAID!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin