HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 5, 2011, 4:08 PM
BANNED

THE QUESTION
Should the Goldwater Institute sue Glendale over the Phoenix Coyotes deal?

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...#ixzz1Fk3pT16h

I voted yes (5 times)!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 3:04 AM

The final Hail Mary, by city of Glendale?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...117471753.html

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 4:50 AM

SO are we expecting a crowd at portage and main if and when they make the sale to TNSE official....

Old Posted Mar 6, 2011, 2:55 PM

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 2:24 AM

So the longer they keep losing money, and the more money they lose, affects the sale price? TNSE (or anyone else) has to pay more to the NHL because the NHL has dragged this out for so long?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 5:46 AM
BANNED

Are Winnipeg’s NHL prayers about to be answered?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1931713/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 3:18 PM
Urban Advocate

So without having to read through the past 1800 posts, I've got a question you guys might know the answer to. Is the MTS Centre a limiting factor to getting an NHL team? By that I mean number of seats, luxury boxes, amenities, etc. And if so, has there been any discussion about doing something to address it?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 3:35 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
So without having to read through the past 1800 posts, I've got a question you guys might know the answer to. Is the MTS Centre a limiting factor to getting an NHL team? By that I mean number of seats, luxury boxes, amenities, etc. And if so, has there been any discussion about doing something to address it?
Perhaps.

However it could also potentially help the marketing process as the smaller number makes games at the venue a more exclusive event.

Teams that sell out every game of the year have the ability to increase prices at their home games potentially netting them more money than a team with a bigger arena but 10-20% of the seats being empty every night.

The Calgary Flames played in The Stampede Corral (capacity ~7000) for the first few years of their existence in the NHL but sold out the entire venue on season tickets and game packs alone.

At the end of the day, if the Winnipeg Jets 2.0 need a bigger arena the owners have deep enough pockets to ensure that happens. I also doubt that Chipman and Thomson are looking at acquiring an NHL as a short term 3-4 year experiment without the willingness to cover the losses or any expenses needed to make the team successful.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Personally, I don't think the arena is a limiting factor.

Mark Chipman, who would be the governor for the a NHL team, has stated publicly (several times) that "in their discussions with the league, the arena has never been an issue"

Gary Bettman himself, said on numerous occasions the arena is "NHL standard", and last summer even defended the arena when a reporter from Southern Ontario commented on it being "too small"

Another, and more important, thing to consider is the fact the arena is owned and operated by TNSE, who would also own the team. Not only do they have a monopoly in the city for concerts in the MTS Centre, of which is one of the busiest venues in Canada, but they also will be getting additional revenue streams that no other arenas I know of get.

They will be the driving force behind an entire street of potential redevelopment, pubs, patios, restaurants, word is they will open a boutique hotel, and also renovate nearby shopping hubs among other things to obtain additional revenue streams...plus there is going to be a new tax around the MTS Centre.

these streams conceivably would bring in more than what is needed.

Right now, they recently opened a large multiplex skating ring, which is projected to bring in 2-3million dollars in its first year of operations alone...this is akin to what Canadian NHL teams make from the nosebleed seats.

They really have a well-thought out, long term commitment plan in play that no one knows too much about, but will factor in huge...and make them one of the most profitable NHL teams in the entire league, imo.

So indirectly, the answer to your specific question is no.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 5:16 PM

I completely agree with you roccerfeller, TNSE will be the the strongest owner in the league and has been busy in the background over the last several years putting in place all the necessary touches to allow a winnipeg franchise to succeed in the NHL. Also to note, the "multiplex" skating rink not just for public skating but is a high-end practice facility that will be used by the team, and also many community teams, which bodes well for the future development of hockey players in the peg. To me it appears like a good model for smaller markets where hockey is a part of the culture (ie midsize Canadian teams). But I guess time will tell and hopefully all the preparations translate to success on the ice, it would be a pity to end up with a losing team that fans wouldn't want to stand behind.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 5:36 PM

In my opinion what will ensure Wpg its NHL team is the strength of the Canadian Dollar. When the Jets left in 1996, you had to pay $1.37 to get a US Dollar to pay the players. Now it is 97 cents. I would not be surprised if it is close to .90 by the time next season starts. That is a massive turnaround.

From Wikipedia re: Arena size:

A potential ownership group has emerged, and a number of journalists have identified David Thomson and True North chairman Mark Chipman as its principals. Chipman has stated that the arena's current size is sufficient for an NHL team due to its unique economics. Further supporting the viability of the arena is the reported attendance figures of many struggling teams average below the MTS Centre's capacity.[11] 7 teams or around 23% of the league had lower attendance than the MTS Centre's capacity through the first half of the 2010-11 NHL season.[12]

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
In my opinion what will ensure Wpg its NHL team is the strength of the Canadian Dollar. When the Jets left in 1996, you had to pay $1.37 to get a US Dollar to pay the players. Now it is 97 cents. I would not be surprised if it is close to .90 by the time next season starts. That is a massive turnaround.

From Wikipedia re: Arena size:

A potential ownership group has emerged, and a number of journalists have identified David Thomson and True North chairman Mark Chipman as its principals. Chipman has stated that the arena's current size is sufficient for an NHL team due to its unique economics. Further supporting the viability of the arena is the reported attendance figures of many struggling teams average below the MTS Centre's capacity.[11] 7 teams or around 23% of the league had lower attendance than the MTS Centre's capacity through the first half of the 2010-11 NHL season.[12]
And, just to add to Stormer's point: Those were of course reported attendance figures (which we know are always inflated). And lastly, Winnipeg's tics will be much higher than in a lot of these cities, so that has to be taken into account. i.e. we won't be seeing the current Coyotes offer of 2 regular season games and a playoff game for $49... nor will we be giving out tickets at hotels, hosting $1 beer nights, all you can eat hot-dogs, or free diamond ring giveaways...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 7:48 PM
What could go wrong?

I like how Hot 103 now has a contest for 2011 "Jets or whatever they will be called" NHL season tickets. If there is no NHL here next season they will give you $1,999.

I just thought it was funny.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 10:51 PM
BANNED

the thing I don’t understand is why Matthew Hulsizer is even in the running to buy the team. It’s obvious the guy does NOT have enough money-like 100 million short. I’m waiting for someone somewhere to tell him to get the heck off the stage and let people who have the money come forward. In the meanwhile he can get himself a second job and start saving.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:00 PM
Change is good

from a private source
"The situation here in Atlanta is interesting, as there are apparently up to five groups interested in the entire "package" (Thrashers, Hawks, and Philips Arena) with two of the groups having signed non-disclosure agreements (this, according to both the Atlanta Journal Constitution and the Thrashers radio station, 680 The Fan). Of course, it is very early days - and though the radio reporter who broke the story is suggesting that an offer is imminent - I would think that the process will be much longer than that.

In any event, it looks like the Thrashers will be here next year - but, beyond that is anyone's guess. "

Florida or Dallas might be better bets...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:05 PM
the first stamp is free

^ OK, thanks for the heads up.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:25 PM

revenue wise we will be middle of the pack. we won't be montreal or toronto generating almost 2 million a game but we will be similar in revenue to san jose or buffalo who are good solid nhl markets. i do believe that this summer they will be able to squeeze in an extra 500-1000 seats at the mts centre for little renovation costs.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2011, 11:38 PM
BANNED

So when the inevitable announcement is made within the next 6 weeks that the NHL is returning to Winnipeg, did all of you want to meet at Portage and Main? I expect 10-15,000 to show up for the party.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 12:07 AM

It's going to be the best party in history it will be winnipeg's own mardi gras.I bet 35,000 or more show up.It's so weird though in 1995 i was in grade 5 and our school pembina crest we staged a riot and a save our jets rally at lunch hour with meter sticks and badminton rackets and now we are so close I bet many of us will even cry when the annoucement comes because we are back in the big leagues.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 12:24 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
revenue wise we will be middle of the pack. we won't be montreal or toronto generating almost 2 million a game but we will be similar in revenue to san jose or buffalo who are good solid nhl markets. i do believe that this summer they will be able to squeeze in an extra 500-1000 seats at the mts centre for little renovation costs.
One of the problems is media markets. Edmonton has the smallest media market in the NHL right now (Winnipeg would steal that title), and can't generate the larger revenue from it like other major centres. Another major income source is luxury boxes. This makes way more than piles of nosebleed seats, and are often the main arena revenue generators for teams. That being said, renovations should be addressing this aspect before more nosebleeds, but begs the question if Winnipeg has the corporate market dozens of luxury boxes.

(just asking, not trying to piss on the 'peg at all...)
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan