HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 2:53 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I would also like to know what the policy is on tributes left at the memorial such as flowers and flags. How long are they allowed to stay in place? In order for everyone to get a fair chance to see the names as they were designed, does the maintenance staff remove the tributes each night? Or are the flowers allowed to age and wither away?
I would assume that they'll adopt a policy similar to the Vietnam Memorial, where the staff collects the mementos every night and stores them in an archive.

Of course, that does occur at a National Memorial administered by the National Park Service; a distinction I hope the 9/11 Memorial will soon have.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:07 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

I'm going on the 30th of September and can't wait to go. Thanks too you that have left feedback on your experience at the memorial. But you left out one important piece. What was the sound of the falls like? Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 3:22 PM

The sound is good. Its loud enough to drown out the noise from the construction and West Side Highway but not so loud that you can't easily have a conversation. The sound is neither too tinny/distant nor the thunderous rumble that you would hear at Niagara (which would feel too heavy IMO).

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 4:14 PM

So it really is one of those sites that you just have to see to get the full experience. I hope at some point in the near future I could plan a trip to go because it sounds totally awesome in a quiet way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbellamy View Post
Here's a few from my visit today:
What got me was the woman smiling in this picture. Tis an interesting feeling it is to witness this.

I had noticed during the dedication ceremony, people were sitting on the grass. Is there really enough grass to make it feel like an urban park?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 6:47 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Yahoo!

Victim’s name misspelled on 9/11 memorial
By Zachary Roth | The Upshot – 1 hr 39 mins ago

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/v...-memorial.html

A visitor looks over one of the pools at the 9/11 memorial plaza in the World Trade Center site in New York Monday

Quote:
Is it too much to ask that a memorial dedicated to the victims of the worst ever attack on American soil should spell those victims' names correctly? Apparently so.

Jeffrey Schreier was killed on 9/11 while working at Cantor Fitzgerald, the financial firm based in the World Trade Center that was nearly wiped out in the attacks. But on the memorial unveiled this weekend, Schreier's first name was misspelled as "Jeffery," a spokesman for the memorial, Michael Frazier, said.

"We are extremely sorry for the pain this mistake has caused Jeffrey's family," Frazier added in an e-mail to the New York Times. "As soon as we found out about this error, we began working on how to make it right, and we're engaged with our fabricators, contractors and the architect to do so."

[ Photos: Images of the memorial at Ground Zero ]

There has also been controversy over how to organize the victims' names. At first, the idea was to arrange them without any order, because of the random nature of the way the victims died. But after family members and firefighters complained, the plan changed. Spouses and family members are grouped together, as are co-workers from companies in the tower. First responders' names are engraved in a ribbon on a parapet overlooking the south reflecting pool, and are grouped by command, precinct or company.

There is no grouping by rank, however, for either firefighters or police officers.

And this isn't the only major memorial whose launch hasn't gone perfectly smoothly.

The designers of the Martin Luther King memorial, unveiled last month in Washington, D.C., were criticized for including a truncated quote from the civil-rights icon, which some said made him appear arrogant.

At least King's name was spelled correctly, though.

Copyright © 2011 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnapp1 View Post
I'm going on the 30th of September and can't wait to go. Thanks too you that have left feedback on your experience at the memorial. But you left out one important piece. What was the sound of the falls like? Thanks!
I recorded this yesterday - should give you an impression.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0siiPL1itw" target="_blank">Video Link

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 9:09 PM
BROOKLYN

^^^ Its going to look a lot better without the construction surrounding it IMO

Also the misspell is unfortunate and will obviously be fixed. (Don't know what the whole fuss is about)

Old Posted Sep 13, 2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obey View Post
^^^ Its going to look a lot better without the construction surrounding it IMO

Also the misspell is unfortunate and will obviously be fixed. (Don't know what the whole fuss is about)
The misspelling is most unfortunate- particularly for the family involved. But in the overall scheme of things, considering the enormity of the memorial, if only one name has a misspelling, I think they've done pretty good. And I'm sure it will be corrected in short order.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 12:06 AM

caen98

The Memorial Glade:

9.11.11 by Caterpilla, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
The Memorial Glade:

Well that answers one of my questions. It really is a marvel of engineering, this site. Now lets get this transportation hub going!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 1:54 AM
BROOKLYN

You don't realize how powerful the memorial is until you see people inside of it (especially families of the victims).

Also, will the grass be free to walk on at some point?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:17 AM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Nice thoughtful review dwntwnr

I just googled Arad's original plan. Wow. That would have been pretty powerful (although there's no way they could have kept the same exact footprints and with the wind it probably wouldn't be that placid). For anyone who hadn't seen:

NYMAG.com

And two incredible pics of the USS New York from the Marines (click for huge pics):

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:40 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

My friend visited the memorial on Monday and confirmed its pretty spectacular. The images above seem to confirm that. He had less than pleasant things to say about the museum though.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 4:48 AM

Thanks! Its good to finally take part in the discussion. I've been obsessed over all of this for way too long & I may slip into postpartum depression now that its done. Thankfully there are still some towers, a transit hub, and a fabled performing arts center to fixate on!

The grass does a lot to give visual interest to the site & I think how the designers laid it out was pretty clever. It seems quite inviting for a momentary sit, but the way they broke it up with paving and drain channels hints that you're not meant to be sunbathing or playing frisbee. Its also quite effective at subtly corralling visitors towards the pools.

The landscape design of the memorial is kind of genius. the whole thing has a subtle accordion pitch to it so that water drains into the irrigation channels and I learned today that each tree has sensors embedded in the soil! If it's your thing, the landscape architect's site is an interesting read:

http://www.pwpla.com/national-911-memorial

For me the next puzzle piece is the museum roof and how they're going to make the stairwell that pops out the top look good...

Last edited by dwntwnr; Sep 14, 2011 at 4:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
My friend visited the memorial on Monday and confirmed its pretty spectacular. The images above seem to confirm that. He had less than pleasant things to say about the museum though.
Um...the museum's not even open. Do you mean the Pavilion? If that's the case, I think you're friend's in the extreme minority on that one. Nearly everyone thought it ended up looking better than even the best renderings, and it surprised most of the people that worked on the project, at least according to "The Rising"

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:04 PM

Location: Born and raised Clevelander, former Atlantan and Dallasite, and now 'probational' New Yorker, ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnr View Post
For me the next puzzle piece is the museum roof .
Looking forward to the Museum roof facade getting done as well. The HVAC, etc on the museum roof is starting to become an eyesore in the ever-growing polished memorial area.

www.UrbanImpressionist.com ______ Twitter: @UrbanImpress ______ UrbanImpressionist on Facebook______ UrbanImpressionist on Youtube

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 2:10 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 11:06 PM
Metal Up Your !

Beautiful memorial. I never expected it to be so jaw dropping.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2011, 11:42 PM

Old Posted Sep 15, 2011, 12:37 AM
BANNED

This stunning. What a great tribute to the victims.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture