HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
With modern zoning rules if they put windows there it would basically preclude ever building a tall building next to it due to the interrupted views.
That's a good point. I believe there is an unremarkable low-rise university building next to it right now, then another unremarkable low-rise office building, then an empty lot, so it seems desirable that some or all of that could be redeveloped at some point.

Quote:
1. There is a proposal to change the old Hazelwood YMCA building into, among other things, a brewery with a food truck location on site. I knew the Y closed last year due to funding issues (my wife's best friend was on the board) but I had heard noting about someone purchasing the building.
That's an odd property. I was hoping that parcel might get significantly redeveloped--and maybe it will, but this sort of sounds like they mostly just want to use it as-is.

Quote:
5. New restaurant on Shiloh Street in Mount Washington
Who knows if it will ever happen, but I keep thinking about how if The Edge property got redeveloped in a cool way, it could be huge for that Shiloh Street area.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
That's a good point. I believe there is an unremarkable low-rise university building next to it right now, then another unremarkable low-rise office building, then an empty lot, so it seems desirable that some or all of that could be redeveloped at some point.
I wonder if the developers know something we don't? I know my wife is working on some new project for Pitt right now. I asked her if it was on the former Syria Mosque site, and she jokingly said "if I told you' I'd have to kill you." I doubt it's there, but if Pitt's building a new structure of size soon that could free up other buildings for redevelopment.

As an aside, it amazes me to think that the new hotel is going up on land that previously held two (admittedly large) subdivided houses. It shows how much more density Oakland could have even without significant levels of lot consolidation.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
As an aside, it amazes me to think that the new hotel is going up on land that previously held two (admittedly large) subdivided houses. It shows how much more density Oakland could have even without significant levels of lot consolidation.
I happened to be right there in person yesterday, and it is really a remarkable transformation. And there is a bunch more coming the next block east. You can practically feel the center of gravity of Oakland shifting.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:48 PM

Quote:
I happened to be right there in person yesterday, and it is really a remarkable transformation. And there is a bunch more coming the next block east. You can practically feel the center of gravity of Oakland shifting.
I dunno. Obviously there is one big project done (SkyVue) one under construction (the new hotel) and two soon to begin (the Arby's apartments and the office building across the street). But North Oakland has The Empire being built, there's the hotel behind the PAA and all the stuff going on on CMU's campus as well, which nearly balances things out.

That reminds me - what happened with the Craft Place apartments? Has the old building been demoed yet? I heard there were people in the neighborhood clamoring for preservation of it for some odd reason, but it was an off comment on another forum, so I'm not sure of the veracity.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:39 PM

That apartment project on Bates and Zulema/Blvd is apparently still a thing too, although OPDC is fighting it:

Quote:
OPDC staff and Coalition of Oakland Residents members met with Scenic Pittsburgh, the organization now representing OGV, in January 2017. They made clear OGV’s intentions to move forward with a 16-22 story high-rise building on Bates Street despite this being illegal and despite the community’s strong opposition over the last two years. This proposal has significant problems that have potential to negatively affect Oakland:

-Zoning of the site allows only six stories.

-The developer wants to build on Zulema Street and Zulema Park, using public land for private development. The community has clearly articulated opposition to taking public property for private gain. This situation is similar to the recent battle between East Liberty residents and a developer over Enright Park.

-The developer also plans to construct an 1,800-car parking garage further down on Bates, on property zoned Hillside. Zoning does not allow a commercial use in the Hillside zoning district. Only single-unit residential is allowed in Hillside zoning district.

-The proposed development will bring more cars to an already-congested area.

-The proposed development disregards The Oakland 2025 Master Plan vision of sustainable living that supports quality of life.

-The proposed development disregards our community values, community spaces, and community process.
http://www.opdc.org/e-newsletter/tak...treet-project/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:47 PM

Quote:
I dunno. Obviously there is one big project done (SkyVue) one under construction (the new hotel) and two soon to begin (the Arby's apartments and the office building across the street). But North Oakland has The Empire being built, there's the hotel behind the PAA and all the stuff going on on CMU's campus as well, which nearly balances things out.
I should have been more precise. I more meant just the "Downtown" part of Oakland between Bigelow and BoA.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:52 PM

New planning commission presentation. Five projects, one of them weighty:

1. Renovation of 6007 Penn Avenue. This is one of the nicer historic buildings in Downtown East Liberty - which up until recently housed Anthom's. It looks like they plan on doing a very tasteful quasi-historic renovation of the first-floor facade. It doesn't look like they have any tenant in particular in mind yet. I was just thinking the other day that someone needs to appropriate money for restoration of historic buildings in East Liberty, as they have downtown. It's nice to see it starting organically.

2. Renovation of 4632 Centre Avenue - the Mitchell's Tavern building. This project has been on the zoning agenda for awhile, but it's the first time it's appeared in front of the planning commission. It's certainly going to be a step up from what's already there, but it's not as historically-minded as the Penn Avenue proposal.

3. CMU is constructing a new four-story, 50,000 square foot educational building with a ground floor restaurant at 4621 Forbes Avenue - here. The building looks like it will be mostly clad in transparent glass with some odd ceramic chimneys sticking out of the sides - looking like a quasi-organic growth on the overall mechanical form. It will be positioned as closely to the Panther Hollow chasm as possible to allow room for a later phase, which will involve two additional buildings built where 4615 Forbes is currently.

4. 3807 Forbes will be having an extensive renovation to house offices for a tech company (Revv). This will include blowing the back out of the current structure and putting a glass curtain wall in the rear.

5. Finally, there's a sign permit for the Cambria hotel in the Lower Hill.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsters View Post
That apartment project on Bates and Zulema/Blvd is apparently still a thing too, although OPDC is fighting it
Cool. I hope they beat the NIMBYs.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Cool. I hope they beat the NIMBYs.
Who the hell is a NIMBY in Oakland? I mean, I know West Oakland has an active community group fearful of gentrification, and I'm sure there are Schenley Farms NIMBYs, but the rest of the neighborhood?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:14 PM

Very excited about this nice building on Penn getting renovated:

I take comfort in knowing the actual color of the bricks on this building are nice, and I assume they are not actually painting them that pukey color:

Blecch:

I generally like whacky designs, but not this one. It feels like a refusal to commit to a cool concept.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Who the hell is a NIMBY in Oakland? I mean, I know West Oakland has an active community group fearful of gentrification, and I'm sure there are Schenley Farms NIMBYs, but the rest of the neighborhood?
It is crazy how much bureaucracy has sprung up. I gather there are individual neighborhood associations, and they are represented on the Coalition of Oakland Residents, which I gather is a creation of the Oakland Planning and Development Corporation. If you are an interested resident of Oakland, you are supposed to join one of the neighborhood associations and hope your views filter up through those layers.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 10:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Very excited about this nice building on Penn getting renovated:

I take comfort in knowing the actual color of the bricks on this building are nice, and I assume they are not actually painting them that pukey color:

Blecch:

I generally like whacky designs, but not this one. It feels like a refusal to commit to a cool concept.
Where are those first two buildings? And I like that design actually for the Carnegie building.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:35 AM

Hopefully the Forbes Hotel is not dead but Holly Brubach claimed last February that construction would start in June 2016 but Sally's Beauty Supply is still open for business on the ground floor of the Granite Building.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Where are those first two buildings? And I like that design actually for the Carnegie building.
The Penn Avenue building is here, and the Colonnade Building is here.

I like the part of the CMU building that looks like a termite mound. I don't like the plain modernist part.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:33 AM
Ex Houstonian

That's awesome, glad that one on penn in sliberty is being restored. That side of the street is still a dump.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 3:22 AM

Quote:

Yooooooo, what?! I think that is beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:05 PM

Debate Heats Up Over Plans to Improve Liberty Avenue Downtown

I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but I thought it was funny that the people that they interviewed in support of the improvements had accents. (And I'm not talking about Yinzer.)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:23 PM
Northsider

Quote:
New planning commission presentation. Five projects, one of them weighty:

1. Renovation of 6007 Penn Avenue. This is one of the nicer historic buildings in Downtown East Liberty - which up until recently housed Anthom's. It looks like they plan on doing a very tasteful quasi-historic renovation of the first-floor facade. It doesn't look like they have any tenant in particular in mind yet. I was just thinking the other day that someone needs to appropriate money for restoration of historic buildings in East Liberty, as they have downtown. It's nice to see it starting organically.

2. Renovation of 4632 Centre Avenue - the Mitchell's Tavern building. This project has been on the zoning agenda for awhile, but it's the first time it's appeared in front of the planning commission. It's certainly going to be a step up from what's already there, but it's not as historically-minded as the Penn Avenue proposal.

3. CMU is constructing a new four-story, 50,000 square foot educational building with a ground floor restaurant at 4621 Forbes Avenue - here. The building looks like it will be mostly clad in transparent glass with some odd ceramic chimneys sticking out of the sides - looking like a quasi-organic growth on the overall mechanical form. It will be positioned as closely to the Panther Hollow chasm as possible to allow room for a later phase, which will involve two additional buildings built where 4615 Forbes is currently.

4. 3807 Forbes will be having an extensive renovation to house offices for a tech company (Revv). This will include blowing the back out of the current structure and putting a glass curtain wall in the rear.

5. Finally, there's a sign permit for the Cambria hotel in the Lower Hill.
I'm sad about the removal of the modernist facade to Anthon's. I know that it's not original to the building but it's been there for at least 70 years and is better than the bland nothing that they're replacing it with.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm sad about the removal of the modernist facade to Anthon's. I know that it's not original to the building but it's been there for at least 70 years and is better than the bland nothing that they're replacing it with.
Of course that is only like half the lifespan of that building.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 1:46 PM
speagles84

Quote:
22 stories would be insane for that area and I love the idea of it

I lived in Oakland for 6 years and it's right near the one area of Oakland with non student yinzers left (Coltart St). I'd put money they're the NIMBYS not from Schenley Farms or West O.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations