HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:46 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf66 View Post
I am looking to rent a car this fall in Nashville for about 15 days to do a tour of the southeastern states. Needless to say car rentals are pricey these days with most near the $100/day mark. But at a couple of the rental agencies they have a Nissan Leaf for about 30% cheaper. With the savings on fuel it would likely be more than twice as cheap.

However I have never driven an EV and the last thing I would want is spend a bunch of extra time charging and worrying about range. I assume most hotels have charging spots nowadays and the range on the Leaf looks to be about 300km(?). We would probably be averaging 3-400 per day.

Just wondering if any posters have advice on this.
I wouldn't be too concerned about range. You need to stop at some point to have a bit to eat and take a break so that's a good time to charge.

Though I would do a good check of what the charging network is like as it isn't always that great in the US. Even the northeast which is more green-minded pales in comparison to what we have here in Quebec, so the southern states may be even worse.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:49 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of renting an EV at some point, maybe for a weekend between Edmonton and Calgary, just to get a feel for it.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

One thing about driving an EV in winter is my windows and mirrors are dirty all the time, because I never stop at gas stations to fill up so I don't have a chance to use the squeegee to clean them!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf66 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of renting an EV at some point, maybe for a weekend between Edmonton and Calgary, just to get a feel for it.
I've driven to NYC from Toronto using a Prius and only stopped for gas one time on the way there and back. Defiantly worth the extra cost for long distances trips. I would be weary of renting an electric vehicle though based on the wait times to charge.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:10 PM

For EV charging, check plugshare.com

For road trips, you can use abetterrouteplanner.com

With a Tesla, it's all in the car navigation. Very few places you can't get to easily.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:17 PM
recession proof

I wouldn't risk renting a Leaf. Crappy range. Go with a cheap ICE vehicle.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 11:00 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
ZEV registrations topped 10 per cent Canadian market share in Q4 2022, S&P data shows

They include PHEVs in that data, but still impressive overall.
My Dad loves his Kia Sorento PHEV (AWD). It's a pretty damn nice vehicle. Nicer and more modern looking than the Toyota RAV4 he also test drove, for example.
While the small electric battery only gets 52km range before the 1.6L Turbo 4cylinder kicks in, it suits most of his daily needs since he's retired and most things can be accomplished within a 20km radius.

I would say he's in full electric mode up to 75% of the time therefore he's using 3/4 less gasoline than an ICE vehicle. Also 3/4 less emissions from the tailpipe.

Gas/Electric engines combined, the vehicle has the equivalent of 261hp which is more than adequate for highway passing.
His next vehicle will be full electric, probably also a Kia based on his 17-18 month ownership of the PHEV Sorento.

Last edited by Wigs; Mar 4, 2023 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
^Actually he didn't, which is why dumb ppl dumped their shares (although from a TA pov, a pullback to $160 is due.)

Hyundai/Kia makes flashy cars that are fundamentally flawed. They look cool but there's a reason Uber drivers buy them. The only Hyundai I'd buy is the Korean market Casper.
If Hyundai/KIA doesn't beat Elon to an affordable EV than VW will. There already on an updated ID.3 on offer in Europe. I just wish they would offer it here instead of the bloated crossover.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 11:38 PM
recession proof

ID3 is garbage: rubbish software/UX, poor range and cheaply built. Until VW gets better technology they're not competitive with Tesla or even Nio etc. MG and BYD have affordable EVs, as does Tata, however their range isn't great.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:01 AM
Great White Norf

Kia/Hyundai has an upper hand on most manufacturers because they are vertically integrated.
They control their own steel mills to stamp the body panels in a related company under the larger Chaebol 'Hyundai Group' banner. Each generation they keep getting stronger and lighter steel.

amazing they went from the Hyundai Pony that looked like a Chevette knockoff in the 1980s

to Genesis GV60

IONIQ 6

Kia EV6

Check out their Electric Global Modular Platform. They plan to release 11 full electric models, and 12 hybrid/PHEV models.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyunda...dular_Platform

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:05 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ If the VW or a larger more elaborate model doesn't suit you, perhaps if they could improve the range, this would be better competition. They've had this model in Europe for about three years. Maybe this is the kind of compact EV we will see more of.

Honda E review. It looks cool, drives well but would you actually want to own one?
Video Link

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
ID3 is garbage: rubbish software/UX, poor range and cheaply built. Until VW gets better technology they're not competitive with Tesla or even Nio etc.
Software can and will get fixed. I expect the coming refresh will fix quite a few complaints. But for a reasonably cheap daily driver BEV, the ID3 is alright. And their sales numbers show reasonable popularity.

Quote:
MG and BYD have affordable EVs, as does Tata, however their range isn't great.
None of those are going to come to North America. So I'm hoping to see the ID3 here at some point.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:15 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ If the VW or a larger more elaborate model doesn't suit you, perhaps if they could improve the range, this would be better competition. They've had this model in Europe for about three years. Maybe this is the kind of compact EV we will see more of.

Honda E review. It looks cool, drives well but would you actually want to own one?
Video Link
Big fan of the Honda e. Reminds me of a modern EV take on a Civic EG/EK hatch. Looks much cooler (inside and out) compared to the ID3, IMO. Throw on a set of track oriented coilovers and tires, a BBK, improve the range/power slightly, and given it's RWD, it could be righteous fun as a dual purpose city runabout and a canyon carver/track weapon.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:23 AM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:44 AM
recession proof

ID3 facelift didn't improve the UX much. Still has awkward haptic inputs and dinky screens & same range. It's not engineered for NA. Maybe the next generation MK9 Golf will be electric and sold here. I'd rather own a VW Up GTI.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:46 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Big fan of the Honda e. Reminds me of a modern EV take on a Civic EG/EK hatch. Looks much cooler (inside and out) compared to the ID3, IMO. Throw on a set of track oriented coilovers and tires, a BBK, improve the range/power slightly, and given it's RWD, it could be righteous fun as a dual purpose city runabout and a canyon carver/track weapon.
It's far more interesting and relatable than a Tesla or a Tesla look-alike clone, but the limited range confines it to being a city car.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It's far more interesting and relatable than a Tesla or a Tesla look-alike clone, but the limited range confines it to being a city car.
Perfect for multicar households.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 2:03 AM

this is kinda cool

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 4:42 AM
recession proof

Wigs, do you work for Hyundai KIA Group?

Their EV6 sales are tanking:
https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/sales

Old Posted Mar 6, 2023, 6:13 AM

Probably has more to do with production issues than demand. Good luck buying one right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada