HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 5:25 PM
Meh

Except for using the restroom, I would think the construction industry would be relatively immune (no pun intended) from the disease. Their main risk comes from getting hurt on the job and needing a hospital visit.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Except for using the restroom, I would think the construction industry would be relatively immune (no pun intended) from the disease. Their main risk comes from getting hurt on the job and needing a hospital visit.
One would think they could keep their distances but in actuality its unreasonable for a lot of trades and practically impossible to eliminate the risk completely. From what I’ve seen on sites in the past week is that nobody is taking it serious. We have complained about people being sick on site and the GC won’t even look into let alone send someone home

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Good friend of mine is (among other things) the safety manager for a crew of union electricians. As of yesterday all of these men were working on projects on the Texas A and M campus in College Station. My friend has been complaining about the fact that his men have to work in close contact and often perform sweaty tasks requiring two or more workers in close quarters. Additionally, they have to touch all kinds of surfaces in the course of the day. It is a perfect environment to transmit a virus. He has protested to senior management about this situation, but his concerns have been dismissed so far. He is also concerned about the need for workers to use unsanitary portable toilets and drink from common drinking water sources. Two men on his crew went home last week with low fever, coughing and respiratory distress. They went to the doctor per instructions from their employer and were denied corona virus tests because they "failed to meet the testing criteria". Both returned to the job within a day or two after being told to they could return once they were free of fever for 24 hours. By the way, most of his men want to continue working because the pay is excellent, and they need the money.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 9:07 PM

That's one of the more awful stories I've heard recently. Just all around not good, on anyone's part.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 10:37 PM
Meh

Yeah, for sure there is the issue of sweat, which is gross, and some tasks needing extra hands. I guess I just always think of it as a mostly open air job. Of course, once a shell is closed up, I would imagine buildings under construction can get stuffy, especially since the ventilation systems most likely aren't functioning yet. They probably have to calibrate those systems before they can even be switched on, and only after the building is sealed up. It could damage a system to run it exposed to the elements.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 1:09 PM

Looks like this is a hot topic.

Quote:
Top business, development groups call for Austin, Travis County to reverse construction shutdown

Virtually all of the region's major business advocacy organizations for the development and design industries are calling on Austin and Travis County to reverse parts of their orders that effectively shut down most construction activity.

Austin and Travis County issued shelter-in-place orders on March 24 to fight the spread of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. Austin later clarified that residential and commercial construction is generally prohibited under its order with a few narrow exceptions.

"We cannot express strongly enough how much confusion these documents have injected into the local building industry in a brief 24-hour period," leaders of groups representing Realtors, builders, contractors, architects, engineers and other businesses wrote in a letter emailed to Austin Mayor Steve Adler and Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardt on the evening of March 25.

"The lack of clarity in the city and county orders has thrown our building industry into complete confusion," according to the letter. "We urge you to immediately amend your respective Stay at Home — Work Safe Orders and explicitly allow both commercial and residential construction to continue."

The letter was signed by top leaders of the Real Estate Council of Austin, Austin Chamber of Commerce, Austin Board of Realtors, the Downtown Austin Alliance, Austin Apartment Association, Home Builders Association of Greater Austin, LGBT Chamber of Commerce and Austin Contractors and Engineers Association.

Leaders for the local chapters of the American Institute of Architects, Associated General Contractors of America and Associated Builder and Contractors were also on board.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...or-austin.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post

While all the developers and contractors want the show to go on, but the guys in the field are terrified and continue to show to to work with coughs and runny noses and don’t get sent home. One would think construction workers could avoid it since they work far apart, that’s truly not the case and are just as much risk as the general population. My guys on our downtown sites are continuously asked to report to work in unsafe condition.

At the end of the day I know what this is about... the money and not safety

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Cannon View Post
While all the developers and contractors want the show to go on, but the guys in the field are terrified and continue to show to to work with coughs and runny noses and don’t get sent home. One would think construction workers could avoid it since they work far apart, that’s truly not the case and are just as much risk as the general population. My guys on our downtown sites are continuously asked to report to work in unsafe condition.

At the end of the day I know what this is about... the money and not safety
yeah you can often share equipment and material, multiple guys touch the same thing etc. probably more at risk than the typical desk job imo

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 6:12 PM
Meh

Interactive map of Texas counties.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronaviru...ents-in-texas/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:46 PM

Texas had a major Earthquake this morning. 3rd worse in state history.

https://kvia.com/news/texas/2020/03/...-el-paso-area/

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quite the turn of events...

Quote:
Mexican protesters have shut a US southern border crossing amid fears that untested American travellers will spread coronavirus.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52053656

"Construir el muro! Construir el muro!"

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 8:51 PM

Stop the madness!!! This is why I don't celebrate New Year's Day or Eve.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 9:01 PM

How is Westin pronounced? Is the first syllable stressed, or is it pronounced like West-In?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
How is Westin pronounced? Is the first syllable stressed, or is it pronounced like West-In?
WEST-in.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
Straight from the brand's Youtube.

https://youtu.be/OT-olltPz78?t=12

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 1:57 PM

City leases Crowne Plaza Austin

Quote:
The city of Austin is leasing a North Austin hotel for vulnerable people to isolate and self-quarantine if they've been exposed to the coronavirus — and it may lease or buy more hotels in the future.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ronavirus.html

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:06 PM
Meh

So, we've been doing HEB curbside, of course, but we were also thinking of other food delivery companies. One place we used to order from a lot in the early 90s is Schwan's.

https://www.schwans.com/

We ordered some pot pies and enchiladas from them, along with some desserts this past week, and it arrived in just a few days. They'll call you ahead of time to let you know they're coming and will drop it off now with the virus concerns. They can also leave it in insulated containers in case you aren't home.

I also have the "Honey" app on my browser. It's a free program that will search the internet for coupon codes for a number of businesses. Anyway, it knocked 50% off our order and basically made our desserts free.

https://www.honey.com/

You can either shop online on store websites and the app will automatically check and apply codes to your order total on those websites, or you can shop via the app's website for products to see what companies they have deals for. It's not just for food, it's for all kinds of stuff and different businesses.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:09 PM

I have been using Flavor (HEB Delivery). HEB is waiving the $5 delivery fee and tipping the driver is the only additional fee. But you have to plan your groceries around a week ahead of time due to the demand.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 9:46 PM

Just used Prime Fresh, the delivery came to my house at 5:40 AM this morning. After going weeks with very limited access to tp, and paper towels, I now have 72 rolls of jumbo paper towels, 24 jumbo rolls of tp, and 10 boxes of kleenex, plus bread, meats and other essentials, but yeah, it takes planning and a bit of luck to get everything you want. I went online several times a day for several days before my order was accepted. But F#&k Prime Whole Foods. I would spend an hour at a time shopping only to find at checkout, supplies weren't available or delivery dates weren't available, they only go 3 days out, and you have to try again later. I also tried HEB curbside yesterday. I liked it. You have to stay in your car while they bring and load your stuff. Shopped online around 1AM got a 10 - 10:30am pick up time that same morning and plenty of notifications. From house to HEB to house, 20 minutes. I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not so I tipped the guy $5.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2020, 11:26 PM
Meh

I wasn't having any trouble finding what we wanted, at least at checkout with HEB. They were out of chocolate milk, rubbing alcohol and sparkling water. I ended up placing orders at two different stores to get what we wanted. It's been a long week without eggs and milk and bread, and it still won't be ready until Friday and Saturday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin