HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
To put it simply, if you are not a gang member, prostitute, or drug dealer, than you are safe in Winnipeg. In fact outside of the world of crime I would claim that Winnipeg is as safe if not safer than the average Canadian city.

We have many times posted evidence to back these claims. If you choose to ignore them, then that only highlights your own arrogance and thus immaturity.
That is pretty much every city in North America and Europe, with the exceptions of serial killers and mass murderers.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigo3000 View Post
That is pretty much every city in North America and Europe, with the exceptions of serial killers and mass murderers.
Based on these responses, I am confused at the method of how one measures personal safety. So if Winnipeg is the same as every other city, than what is the basis behind calling Winnipeg a dangerous city?

I don't see the correlation behind being labelled the homicide capital and how dangerous the city is, in a country like Canada, when the rates of the comparable metropolis's only differ by a mere interchangeable 1-2 people per 100 000.

Using a homicide rate to justify your claims (not necessarily you Vertigo, but who ever blindly states that Winnipeg is dangerous) is as I said immature.

To contrast to Winnipeg to Detroit and Mexico City is also beyond ignorant. Especially when at the moment Detroit has more homicides in a month and a half than Winnipeg has ever had in an entire year.

I will just close by stating that Winnipeg - with its apparent crime pandemic - is siting at an embarrassingly high rate with 1 homicide at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
That is quite a blanket statement for someone lecturing on maturity. That same statement could be applied to virtually any city in the US, yet I'm sure you've been guilty like all of us of flaunting the safety of Canadian cities compared to US cities.

If violent crimes only happens to shady people in Winnipeg, then the same can be said of Detroit, Mexico City & so forth.

Truth is, people employ different levels of caution in different cities, for the sake of staying safe. So of course the level of danger for ''normal'' people will always be tempered by good judgment. Doesn't mean Winnipeg is ''as safe as any other''.

Not refuting your statement, really, but I think you may be overly dismissive of what crime statistics say about a city's overall safety level. Speaking of which, I don't see why higher crime in your city should be a source of personal embarrassment.

One simply cannot explore Winnipeg's many nooks & crannies with the same careless disregard that they would employ in, say, Montreal, Toronto or Calgary.

So, I will choose NOT to ignore your assertion but will nonetheless continue to think Winnipeg is less safe than most Canadian cities. Also, I think you misused thus there.
Well said.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:43 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
One simply cannot explore Winnipeg's many nooks & crannies with the same careless disregard that they would employ in, say, Montreal, Toronto or Calgary.
So true.

Walking home through downtown Winnipeg from work the other day, I was only robbed 6 times, stabbed three times, and murdered twice - I think.

Crazy - and this was before I read this informative thread about the homicide stats in Canadian cities. Now that I know better, gee, what WAS I thinking - walking in Winnipeg - good heavens! Lock your doors! Roving gangs of crack heads murdering innocent children!!

What a ridiculous thread.

It's no wonder no one is moving to Winnipeg, our population is stagnating, unemployment rate skyrocketing - while super safe cities like Quebec and Hamilton leave this poor crime riddled burg in their dust...

right?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:27 AM

Good job guys, my girlfriend just read through this thread, and now she doesn't want to go for our nightly Assiniboine walk anymore. She must have been deceived by her own personal feelings now that she really knows just how dangerous our home is.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 4:03 AM

I disagree with Leftimage's statement.

"If violent crimes only happens to shady people in Winnipeg, then the same can be said of Detroit, Mexico City & so forth."

Clearly with 504 murders in 2012 Chicago has people being killed who were mistaken for others or in the wrong place at the wrong time - obviously this can happen in Toronto or Winnipeg (though probably not in Québec City) but it is much much less likely.

Still, murder is (generally) a very personal crime and those killed by mistake are definitely in the minority.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 8:28 AM

ya, when i walk to and from work in downtown winnipeg (sometimes after dark!) and i don't get raped, stabbed or robbed at knifepoint, i wonder what's wrong.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

To contrast to Winnipeg to Detroit and Mexico City is also beyond ignorant. Especially when at the moment Detroit has more homicides in a month and a half than Winnipeg has ever had in an entire year.

I will just close by stating that Winnipeg - with its apparent crime pandemic - is siting at an embarrassingly high rate with 1 homicide at the moment.
The comparison I made was based on the premise you presented, which was that Winnipeg's numbers didn't reflect the situation on the ground & that in reality it was just as safe as similar cities with lower crime rates, unless you deal in risky affairs ...

Why wouldn't this logic apply to a city with a higher crime rate than Winnipeg, like Detroit? Is there a cutoff number to murders where a city's danger level is officially declared ''applicable to all''.

I don't think it's cut and dried quite like that... the fact is, if Winnipeg has a higher crime rate than say Montreal, it most likely means that law-abiding citizens must employ greater caution in Winnipeg if they are to enjoy the same sense of security than Montrealers. This could mean being more alert at night, carrying less cash, not going downtown as often, not walking alone with an iPod, etc.

If you're arguing there's NO correlation at all between the number & what you experience... you're essentially asserting that Winnipeg ignores its most blighted areas with great success - because it manages to make its more fortunate citizens forget about crimes among its least fortunate.

The good thing about seeing it my way is, when the crime rate DOES go down over the course of a decade, it's something to be proud of and it probably results in a more enjoyable urban experience for all.

Last edited by leftimage; Feb 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
So true.

Walking home through downtown Winnipeg from work the other day, I was only robbed 6 times, stabbed three times, and murdered twice - I think.

Crazy - and this was before I read this informative thread about the homicide stats in Canadian cities. Now that I know better, gee, what WAS I thinking - walking in Winnipeg - good heavens! Lock your doors! Roving gangs of crack heads murdering innocent children!!

What a ridiculous thread.

It's no wonder no one is moving to Winnipeg, our population is stagnating, unemployment rate skyrocketing - while super safe cities like Quebec and Hamilton leave this poor crime riddled burg in their dust...

right?

Why so sensitive? Numbers don't lie... and I didn't mention stagnation, unemployment or anything else, that's just you letting your insecurities show. I didn't criticize Winnipeg's achievements & potential...I'm sure it's doing great.
I just don't buy that Winnipeg is equally as safe as the average Canadian city when:

-Aggravated assault rate is 147% higher than Canadian average.
-Robbery rate is 248% higher (worst among all cities)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 12:32 PM

Surely we can all agree that while Winnipeg is a safe city by North American or even global standards it is not as safe as most other Canadian cities.

Good grief, even Québec City has home invasions. Only one this year, so far but crime is unlikely to disappear completely in the next 10 years though it will probably continue its decline.

Is that acceptable to everyone?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:36 PM

delete post.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Feb 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:07 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Why so sensitive? Numbers don't lie... and I didn't mention stagnation, unemployment or anything else, that's just you letting your insecurities show. I didn't criticize Winnipeg's achievements & potential...I'm sure it's doing great.
I just don't buy that Winnipeg is equally as safe as the average Canadian city when:

-Aggravated assault rate is 147% higher than Canadian average.
-Robbery rate is 248% higher (worst among all cities)
I wasn't trying to come across as insecure, just trying to point out of ridiculous these arguments are.

Stats are stats. You are arguing how safe or unsafe a place is based on numbers, with people who actually live here. Of course we are going to argue with you.

How much time have you spent in Winnipeg to correlate the stats with any kind of reality?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 2:44 AM
I am a typical

This discussion kind of forgets that those criminals and victims are Winnipeggers too, and Winnipeg certainly isn't a very safe city for them, is it?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 2:52 AM

Here are the 2011 final homicide rates (per 100,000 people) for Canada, with the 10 highest rates in Canada being:

1. Winnipeg, 5.08
2. Halifax, 4.41
3. Edmonton, 4.17
4. Thunder Bay, 3.33
5. Regina, 3.15
6. Saint John, 2.90
7. Peterborough, 2.44
8. Saskatoon, 2.16
9. St. John's, 2.12
10. London, 1.80

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quoti...04a002-eng.htm

Sad to see St. John's crack the top 10. At least 2012 was a homicide-free year.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:35 PM

Winnipeg has 2 after an execution style shooting in a Downtown Restaurant. The attack was targeted, and no innocent bystanders were harmed. The suspect was tracked down and located in his West End home, and after a multi-hour stand-off was brought in.

The victim was also known to police, with gang affiliations, a record of assault and trafficking of illegal firearms - not to down-play the sadness of the event but there is some major irony there.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Here are the 2011 final homicide rates (per 100,000 people) for Canada, with the 10 highest rates in Canada being:

1. Winnipeg, 5.08
2. Halifax, 4.41
3. Edmonton, 4.17
4. Thunder Bay, 3.33
5. Regina, 3.15
6. Saint John, 2.90
7. Peterborough, 2.44
8. Saskatoon, 2.16
9. St. John's, 2.12
10. London, 1.80
Considering the murder rates per 100K in many U.S. cities and in other parts of the world, these numbers are comparatively low. I don't feel like researching it right now, but it seems to me Detroit has averaged about 50 per 100K in recent years.

I find it bizarre how often after a murder happens in Toronto that people in Toronto decry the "high murder rate" and that the city is "so dangerous". Even in the "Year of the Gun" of 2005, London had a higher murder rate than Toronto. The numbers speak for themselves.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:10 AM

50 per 100K for Detroit - I think not. Even New Orleans isn't that bad.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...36088&page=354

9.7 in 2011 - figures not yet available for 2012.
Still almost twice as bad as Winnipeg, 16th on the USA list.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
Considering the murder rates per 100K in many U.S. cities and in other parts of the world, these numbers are comparatively low. I don't feel like researching it right now, but it seems to me Detroit has averaged about 50 per 100K in recent years.

I find it bizarre how often after a murder happens in Toronto that people in Toronto decry the "high murder rate" and that the city is "so dangerous". Even in the "Year of the Gun" of 2005, London had a higher murder rate than Toronto. The numbers speak for themselves.
Toronto's homicide rate is very low but 80 murders is 80 murders i'd feel a lot more safe in London with what 14 murders or so than 80. Plus Toronto has a lot more random shootings and attacks.

I'd feel safe in both cities but like i said 80 murders is 80 murders.

Toronto is doing amazing the past few years staying between 50-60 homicides the past 3 years. Down from their highest year 2007 with 87 homicides and 2005 with 80.

So far Toronto is at 7 for the year.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post
50 per 100K for Detroit - I think not. Even New Orleans isn't that bad.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...36088&page=354

9.7 in 2011 - figures not yet available for 2012.
Still almost twice as bad as Winnipeg, 16th on the USA list.
No, you're totally wrong all those rates are for the metro areas. Detroit was definitely like 45/100k in 2011.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I wasn't trying to come across as insecure, just trying to point out of ridiculous these arguments are.

Stats are stats. You are arguing how safe or unsafe a place is based on numbers, with people who actually live here. Of course we are going to argue with you.

How much time have you spent in Winnipeg to correlate the stats with any kind of reality?
Call me foolish for having more faith in objectively compiled stats vs your personal skewered experience.

In fact, even if there were a consensus among Winnipeg forumers that the city was 'perfectly safe' I'd be weary of their claim... after all, this is a city discussion forum and people tend to ooze hometown pride.

You do realize there are some stand-up people out there whose low-incomes leave them no choice but to live in Winnipeg's shadier neighborhoods, right? Ask them how safe they feel going home from the night shift in the north end.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada