HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 5:25 AM

Salt Lake City is currently working on a zoning consolidation. I believe the plan is to have something like 10 zones in total when it's done though I doubt they've settled on an exact number.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 7:10 PM

Here's a small clip of the zoning in downtown Seattle. The numbers indicate the maximum and minimum heights allowed. This is protect views down to Elliott Bay, and also to be compatible with the surrounding context. It varies almost block to block.

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 20, 2024 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 5:02 PM

SEG entertainment district plan is an urban design failure and non starter for me. It is a longterm mistake if it goes forward as proposed.

Maintaining the city grid and block layout is fundamental to good urban design, where most of the development should be facing outward from the block to the street.

The SEG plan feels like a suburban mall mentality where you want to capture the people visiting the Delta Center and keep them inside.

It is better to think of the entire downtown as the best and most interesting entertainment district.

SEG should make the Delta Center an awesome venue and then correctly develop the blighted block to the east with the idea that it can stand alone and survive on its own in 30 years when the Delta Center moves to a new location. A mid block alley or street similar to Pierpont Ave or Edison St. would work well from 300 W to 200 W.

Burying 300 W is nonsense and misguided. Furthermore, I would restore the 200 W tunnel back to grade.

Last edited by TRex; Jun 15, 2024 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 12:56 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex View Post
SEG entertainment district plan is an urban design failure and non starter for me. It is a longterm mistake if it goes forward as proposed.

Maintaining the city grid and block layout is fundamental to good urban design, where most of the development should be facing outward from the block to the street.

The SEG plan feels like a suburban mall mentality where you want to capture the people visiting the Delta Center and keep them inside.

It is better to think of the entire downtown as the best and most interesting entertainment district.

SEG should make the Delta Center an awesome venue and then correctly develop the blighted block to the east with the idea that it can stand alone and survive on its own in 30 years when the Delta Center moves to a new location. A mid block alley or street similar to Pierpont Ave or Edison St. would work well from 300 W to 200 W.

Burying 300 W is nonsense and misguided. Furthermore, I would restore the 200 W tunnel back to grade.
All valid points except a few things:

The grid is already broken up. It doesn't exist. The Salt Palace has broken up the grid for over 50 years by cutting off 100 South between West Temple and 200 West. Speaking of 200 West, that portion of the grid is also broken up by the Salt Palace by the tunnel that forces zero ability to interact with the northern-portion of the block (specifically the mid-block area to South Temple). While this development doesn't seem to rectify the issues fully (and I'll wait to see my detailed renderings of the 200 West area to get a better understanding of how they'll handle that road), it still opens it up to pedestrians and vibrancy.

Beyond that, I guess I don't understand your comment about creating a suburban mall mentality. I feel City Creek is far more representative of that as it's actually mostly an indoor mall. Nothing in this development is close to that. If anything, this rights the biggest wrong about these blocks: it's a dead area through and through. It connects the Delta Center to the rest of downtown, which it decidedly is not at the moment - and hasn't been since its construction.

You say it's a non-starter yet still move forward with the idea that SEG should handle it this way or that way, conceding that the area is is does not work. That to me makes the idea it's a non-starter a misnomer. I think even those who are critical of the idea can at least concede it's still vastly better than the status quo in terms of creating a more pedestrian-friendly area.

As I've said multiple times: this isn't going to be perfect. There's certainly going to be ways that we all think can be done much better than the final results will show - but as is the case with City Creek Center, which isn't the perfect development either, it's a monumental step in the right direction and that alone makes me question how it could be a non-starter.

300 West is NOT pedestrian friendly. Like at al. You either close it down to traffic entirely or you bury it. But really, the only pedestrian-friendly street downtown right now is Main (which I actually support closing off to traffic). That isn't a coincidence. Salt Lake's streets suck. 300 West is maybe the worst offender downtown because it's treated as a state highway and completely devoid of walkability for the most part.

If I had faith Salt Lake could work with UDOT to improve 300 West and make it more pedestrian-friendly, I absolutely would agree with that route over burying that portion. But just look at State Street. How many years have we seen reports released by the city about making it more pedestrian friendly?

Remember when they were going to run a trolly down it?

All talk. That's been the last 20+ years when it comes to making downtown more inviting to pedestrians.

So, again, we're looking at an option where the choices are the current 300 West landscape or actually doing something so that it isn't a pedestrian nightmare around the Delta Center.

Especially if they're going to work to bring more people downtown outside Jazz/NHL games.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Here's a small clip of the zoning in downtown Seattle. The numbers indicate the maximum and minimum heights allowed. This is protect views down to Elliott Bay, and also to be compatible with the surrounding context. It varies almost block to block.

Different height limits for each block seems needlessly micro-managerial. Are you advocating for this in Salt Lake City or merely pointing out an interesting zoning scheme?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 6:11 AM
Exit 298

Okay, so tweaking the original SEG plan to make it more in alignment with some of the concerns from the Planning Commission and some of us here on this forum...

I'm no architect. But I think this addresses some of the issues, while staying similar to SEG's original plan.

I do think something MUCH better than this is possible, but I think this would start the process of getting the city commission feeling more comfortable.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 7:11 PM

I think the best idea of the SEG plan is to connect City Creek Center and the Central Business District to the western parts of the downtown area/ Gateway, etc. I love this idea. I love the idea of reconfiguring the Salt Palace so that it is no longer a large barrier to the west, and that there is now an opportunity to not have a backside, ie. 200 West of the Salt Palace.

I don't quite understand or know what they were planning on doing with 300 West or what was so different from the downtown masterplan of SLC that the Planning Commission was referring to. Were they trying to do a 200 west tunnel for 300 west or were they just blocking it off like what the church did for Main Street? Can someone please clarify from their words?

I feel like there is a solution out there that is similar to what they proposed, and that perhaps the SEG plan just needs to be revised to something that conveys porousness and connectivity. Connectivitiy, connectivity, connectivity! I believe the Planning Commission doesn't like the superblock ideas, like the Gateway, etc. where they've turned the backs to the streets, ie. 400 west. Porosity is key!

I also think they should connect with the West Quarter development with the Ritchie Group also. So, the alternative would be to utilize the West Quarter as the entertainment district, which feeds directly to the blocks south.

Also, 300 West should go on a road diet, regardless. Same with West Temple and State Streets. Those streets are so embarrassing. They are so incredibly way wider and have way too many lanes for the actual demand. It's what City Planners all across the U.S. point out as bad examples of good urban streets.

Last edited by Orlando; Jun 16, 2024 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:14 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Quote:
I don't quite understand or know what they were planning on doing with 300 West or what was so different from the downtown masterplan of SLC that the Planning Commission was referring to. Were they trying to do a 200 west tunnel for 300 west or were they just blocking it off like what the church did for Main Street? Can someone please clarify from their words?
It seems it would've been a combination of the 2, make 3rd west a tunnel like 2nd west, to that there can be a temple square style plaza above. I think this could be pretty good, but the gates in the rendering worry me. I am definitely still "road diet over tunnel" for 3rd west, but if the plaza is done well (kept as a public ROW, no gate to block access, etc.) I don't see why it would be a non-starter.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:47 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Tunnel. The problem is it looks no better than the 200 W tunnel. And having taken that tunnel on a rental scooter, I may say with firsthand knowledge that the 200 W tunnel sucks.

Sending cars down isn't the problem. It's all the other road users (bicycles, scooters, pedestrians, people using wheelchairs or walkers).

The theory might be that the sidewalks would continue at-grade through the plaza. But that would require the city maintaining its public ownership of the easement (right to travel) across the plaza. And the city has a bad track record with that. As you may recall, the LDS church bought Main Street but the city maintained the plaza. It only took one gay couple kissing for the church to freak out and bully the city into selling them the easement.

SEG will be no different. One Jazz controversy with protest signs and SEG will demand the easement as well. Which leads to another MEGABLOCK that pedestrians have to travel around, further turning downtown in a suburb.

Quote:
Connectivitiy, connectivity, connectivity! I believe the Planning Commission doesn't like the superblock ideas, like the Gateway, etc. where they've turned the backs to the streets, ie. 400 west. Porosity is key!
Amen! We need to be breaking up blocks into smaller blocks, not merging them together.

Imagine if the LDS church had demanded and succeeded in closing Main Street to make CCC into a megablock. It would certain be hurting downtown.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 3:28 AM

i-215 plan is much better than than the current SEG plan. I love the connectivity it provides, and it enhances the Delta Center experience. Love it!

Last edited by TRex; Jun 17, 2024 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:14 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Astra is effectively (aesthetically speaking) a second Church Office Building. I like both buildings the exact same amount. They are fugly and standout as white monoliths in the skyline. Like crooked teeth..
This is the content I am here for.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:59 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I really like the concept so far.

One thing that really concerns me though is there doesn't seem to be anything related to Japantown.

Are they planning not to include anything for Japantown then?

Also, no mention of an Olympic Medals Plaza? They had mentioned that multiple times in prior announcements and discussions.

It seems like they are starting to shrink down on some of the originally promised stuff for budget reasons I guess.
Sorry for late responses, so I hope the info still helps.

Re: Japantown, I know the various owners there are getting approached left and right by interested parties. They know this is an opportunity to capitalize on their location with the aim to update/improve facilities and aesthetics of Japantown. Mind you, the aim would be to improve what they have, not sell off pieces to developers. I'm sure at some point, they'll create a relationship that has a chance to more forward, but I doubt that will be soon.

The medals plaza is very large, and it seems like a difficult use of public land to make something permanent since it would need to be surrounded by a lot of empty space for temporary bleachers, facilities, etc. My guess is this will not end up happening unless they figure out a way to put it in Pioneer Park, which will be somewhat removed from the center of activity downtown. I guess a temporary plaza will end up exactly where it was last time. We'll see, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
$1B in subsidies, demolition of half the convention center, ***AND*** Fidelity and its surface parking remain untouched?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
I would assume that since those are owned by other companies that aren't necessarily agreeing to sell them to SEG for redevelopment, it would be premature for SEG to include those properties in any draft renderings. SEG doesn't have any control over them, although I would assume there are some discussions happening behind the scenes with the owners of them to try and include those properties eventually, or I hope there is. You're right, just going around those properties like the old man's house in the movie Up would be short-sighted, but they can't force those property owners to sell.
Correct. These are private land owners that can't be forced to participate. The Radisson is owned by a major hospitality REIT, and will likely find itself in line for significant capital improvements. The parking lot is owned by a notoriously stingy land banker and parking lot baron. The Fidelity building is on a painfully small parcel, but will find itself severely under utilized once this all happens, and the owners will hopefully see the upside in a disposition. The building on the SW corner of the block is also a small corner, but the owner has been asking for an outlandish sale price. These owners will feel the pressure as the rest of the area changes, and if they are smart, will either sell or redevelop.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
The medals plaza is very large, and it seems like a difficult use of public land to make something permanent since it would need to be surrounded by a lot of empty space for temporary bleachers, facilities, etc. My guess is this will not end up happening unless they figure out a way to put it in Pioneer Park, which will be somewhat removed from the center of activity downtown. I guess a temporary plaza will end up exactly where it was last time. We'll see, though.
Seems like the medals plaza still makes most sense to temporarily use existing space; though hopefully that parking lot would NOT be available 10 years from now. If it is, however, it would be a perfect location with the new entertainment district; imagine having the broadcast live on those future outdoor screens every day and giving the public and all the foreign tourists a place to watch together and mingle, with the medals ceremonies right across the street. S Temple shut down to car traffic for 2 weeks and just a huge public pedestrian space.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 6:10 PM
Space Magi

I had a thought about the IHC development: the new D-1 zoning code requires buildings over 200 ft to go through design review. The IHC massings we saw last week were probably 180ish ft. Is there any chance they are choosing to propose a shorter structure because of the zoning code?

Also, I like the cambam_03 proposal for the entertainment district from the subreddit! It makes way more sense to me to reconnect 100 S through the convention center than to bury 300 W. Take a few lanes off of 300 W, daylight 200 W, and do this:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:40 AM

I do like that graphic much better. Still not helping the South Temple frontage between 200 and 300 West, though.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:23 AM
Exit 298

That's a beautiful rendering. My concern is shutting down 100 S to vehicle traffic and making two megablocks. Granted, it would have street engagement, but we really need the eyes of cars going down that street (disabled, deliveries, visual observation from passersby) but with the street calmed way down (15 MPH target speed, 50%+ of space to non-motorized users)

Still think splitting up the old convention center blocks with pedestrian paths and/or alleyways is good to create more frontage for storefronts.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:55 PM

We really don't need any cars, I promise.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 5:04 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
I do like that graphic much better. Still not helping the South Temple frontage between 200 and 300 West, though.
Like Schmoe said, these are private landowners so any improvements/redevelopment will be up to them. I also think daylighting 200W and building something on the corner there would improve that walk from Main immensely.

Another great skyline shot: (source)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 6:57 PM

While there has been a lot of complaint about Astra one thing I like about it is the tower stands out from any angle because it’s our new tallest and white. Worthington I like also, but it doesn’t pop out as much because of its color and size. Astra makes an impact on the skyline from all angles and from far distances from downtown

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 7:27 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Astra is effectively (aesthetically speaking) a second Church Office Building. I like both buildings the exact same amount. They are fugly and standout as white monoliths in the skyline. Like crooked teeth..
As someone who proudly waves the "I can't stand the look of the COB" flag, I'm going to have to disagree with you about Astra.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West