HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:45 PM
Space Magi

I agree with Comrade on this one.

In other news, the planning commission is taking public comment and voting on whether or not to recommend these proposed changes to the D-4 zone:
Quote:
  • That the maximum building height allowed be limited to 600 feet and maintain the requirement for design review for any building over 75 feet in height.
  • That heliports remain a conditional use.
  • That the sign overlay district allows for modifications to permitted signs for buildings that are subject to design review.
  • That the City Council require landscaped buffers that match the width of the existing garden on 100 South in the participation agreement and/or development agreement that would apply to properties and future development that abut the Japanese Church of Christ and located within the Sports, Entertainment, Cultural, and Convention District project area.
So the request was for unlimited height but now it's 600ft. That is oddly specific! I'd love to see a 600 footer.

Also, Lotus Alchemy on 700S (near the Sears Block) is apparently back on the menu. PC will be reviewing that tonight too.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I'm so grateful some of you guys aren't in charge of downtown, especially those who don't have any skin in the game now because they not only live outside Salt Lake - they live outside Utah.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect but the status quo ain't working and hasn't worked for the last 50 years. I listened to Rocky last night rail against this deal and say the city could build something so much better in this area than what Smith has proposed and I was just left thinking, "okay, then why haven't they?"

It's such a dumb argument. That area of downtown has lacked cohesive commitment for as long as I've been alive. So, if it's so easy to get things done there without incentivizing private enterprises, why the hell has the city been unable to get tangible change in that area on their own? They've had how many decades to radically change that area of downtown and they haven't done it. Not even in the least.

So, when some of you shout that this is all just a boondoggle and hint the city should tell Ryan Smith to go pound sand, what the hell is your plan?

Because as long as I've been alive, in terms of transformative development downtown, I can count on one hand who's invested in that type of development:

1. The LDS Church with the City Creek area.

2. The Federal Government with Gateway by funding the project through the Brownfield clean ups.

I guess you can add The Ritchie Group if the West Quarter is fully seen through fruition.

That's it.

So, why anyone feels the alternative is better is beyond me.

What's funny is that those who are ready to dismiss Ryan are likely creating conditions that will directly lead to the dismissal of things they purport to care about, like the Utah Symphony. We know Abravanel Hall likely needs some renovations. Without this project initiating that, in a decade or so, their conditions will only worsen. If the shift is now at the Point, where Ryan has built a state of the art arena for the Jazz and the NHL team, who's to say the county doesn't decide to build a new hall out there? Could never happen, right?

Well remember just how close Salt Lake came to losing the Broadway theater to Sandy...
AMEN!!! Well said. I am in full support of the entertainment district. I just hope they do it right.

So this tax hike .... I am confused. Does the City Council just vote on it, or is there some sort of public vote? If its a public vote, I am afraid this project will be doomed, we lose everything and the people who voted against it will rejoice their opinion was heard and then they get 3 blocks of homeless shelters, walled up restaurants, etc. But hey, they'll get to keep their empty symphony hall after they move south too.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 5:21 PM

#TeamComrade

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
I’m disappointed to see the Raddison and Fidelity remain untouched. That portion of South Temple blows.
Amen to that!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:04 PM

Quote:
I'm so grateful some of you guys aren't in charge of downtown, especially those who don't have any skin in the game now because they not only live outside Salt Lake - they live outside Utah.

Nothing is ever going to be perfect but the status quo ain't working and hasn't worked for the last 50 years. I listened to Rocky last night rail against this deal and say the city could build something so much better in this area than what Smith has proposed and I was just left thinking, "okay, then why haven't they?"

I laughed out loud when Rocky brought up the Tempe vote not to put in a stadium as a shining example of what we should do here. Tempe voters voted NOT to cleanup a literal dump. That was the vote. The anti-billionaire, anti-stadium minions said the same things they are saying here. But guess what? 2 years later it’s still a dump— and there are no plans to put anything else in or clean it up. It is going to be a dump for a long time.

This is a chance to get real investment downtown to fix issues that have been problems for 50 years. If we don’t take this opportunity who else is going to invest there? There is only one group I can think of and many of you would hate it. Plus, if they put the hockey team down in Sandy where do you think the arena shows are going to go? UFC? Concerts? One lady last night said we could turn the Delta center into a community garden. Get real, people.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:37 PM
Engineer

I wouldn't be too concerned about Fidelity and Radisson not being included at this point. The preliminary plan only includes development on government-owned parcels. SEG can't commit to developing privately-owned lots until they've finalized a deal with the owners, likely a sale, which won't happen until after the tax increase is approved.

That being said, I don't think the Radisson is going anywhere (imo it really doesn't need to), but the preliminary plan has midblock access oriented toward the Fidelity parking lots, so I see that as a good sign of potentially integrating those lots into the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post
Edit: Already discussed a few pages back.

---
I'm curious, could SEG work with the State to reroute 89 instead of spending the hundreds of millions to bury 300W for one block? Continue 89 north on State Street and then make a left on N Temple, then north again on 300W from there? Just avoid the DC area altogether? Then they could just cut off 300W between 100S and S Temple to make the pedestrian plaza.
If there were a way to work out closing 300 W without the tunnel that'd be awesome, as long as the corridor doesn't transition to private ownership. I don't see UDOT considering that though. You'd effectively disperse all 300 W traffic to primarily 400 W, W Temple, and State Street, which could overstress those roads from a transportation planning perspective.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:42 PM

I am on Team Comrade too. Great comment. Very much common sense.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 8:45 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Not this again. I lived 30 of my 40 years on this planet IN SALT LAKE COUNTY. Back off!

Utah is not a dumpy state. There are GOOD odds (considering most of my family CONTINUE TO LIVE in SALT LAKE COUNTY) that in the not-to-distant future, I may live there again, and have to endure the consequences of these decisions.

The tribalism ("You are not REALLY one of us") is tired, Comrade. Seriously.

Quote:
Nothing is ever going to be perfect but the status quo ain't working and hasn't worked for the last 50 years.
So, The Gateway ain't working?

CCC ain't working?

Main Street revitalization ain't working?

Revitalization of the 400 S corridor ain't working?

Please clarify what "ain't working", Comrade.

Quote:
I listened to Rocky last night rail against this deal and say the city could build something so much better in this area than what Smith has proposed and I was just left thinking, "okay, then why haven't they?"
Because, without massive government subsidy the actual commercial real estate market can't bear it.

Remember stories of when the downtown malls opened and Main Street died?

Then remember when The Gateway opened and the two downtown malls died?

Then remember when CCC opened and The Gateway started dying?

There are only so many retail dollars to go around in the region. It's why Rocky Anderson rightly opposed the 5600 West Megamall (funny enough, you and I were on opposite sides of that issue 20 years ago). Building more commercial doesn't generate enough new sales to cover the new square footage. A lot of it is just cannibalized from older retail. (Hence why cities often put their shopping right on the border of an adjacent city).

The reason why we don't have additional development on that block is because, without subsidy, the market won't bear it. Don't think there haven't been ambitious around the world who have considered it and even approached a commercial bank to explore the feasibility. But the bank comes back and says "no," and the project dies.

Yes, using tech-bro money and the sweet pot of sales tax money could push something into artificial viability. And perhaps SLC will want to go for it. But not THIS development. This first draft is an F-grade. Do over. See me after class, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
It's such a dumb argument. That area of downtown has lacked cohesive commitment for as long as I've been alive. So, if it's so easy to get things done there without incentivizing private enterprises, why the hell has the city been unable to get tangible change in that area on their own? They've had how many decades to radically change that area of downtown and they haven't done it. Not even in the least.
And maybe a TIF-style development like this will be the right answer.

But two tunnels, loss of easement, and haphazard internally-facing development that kills traffic on the public sidewalks is BAD DESIGN. The kind of BAD DESIGN you and others on this message board educated me on over the past 20 years! (It's heartbreaking to see the about face.)

Quote:
So, when some of you shout that this is all just a boondoggle and hint the city should tell Ryan Smith to go pound sand, what the hell is your plan?
The city/county/state stand up for themselves, and say, "Ryan, if you want access to the money, streets, land you are asking for — you gotta do better. This first draft is ROUGH."

And then list firm but reasonable expectations he needs to me. His job is not to make SLC a great city (you can't outsource good planning). His job is to make money (as it should be). The city/county/state and residents need to set the expectations. So far it looks like everyone is letting him lead.

Quote:
What's funny is that those who are ready to dismiss Ryan are likely creating conditions that will directly lead to the dismissal of things they purport to care about, like the Utah Symphony. We know Abravanel Hall likely needs some renovations. Without this project initiating that, in a decade or so, their conditions will only worsen. If the shift is now at the Point, where Ryan has built a state of the art arena for the Jazz and the NHL team, who's to say the county doesn't decide to build a new hall out there? Could never happen, right?
Let's let Ryan screw around with one block at a time before we "Sugarhole" the symphony hall site.

Also: Nobody has a concrete plan yet of how to replace the lost convention center space.

Quote:
Well remember just how close Salt Lake came to losing the Broadway theater to Sandy...
Rocky is like dynamite. Destructive in the wrong hands (anyone remember the Rocky v. Hannity "debate" debacle?). But placed in the right places, Rocky did stuff done. Which is why we have a great Main Street and not a dead Megamall on 5600 West.

But no, I would not support him being in City Hall ever again. His time has come and gone for good.

--------

TL;dr Comrade, I'm not 100% anti Ryan Smith. I just want to see the city step up and demand good urban design principles. And this current draft is Crossroads Plaza 2.0 (sans roof). It sucks royally. And I hope deep down that even with your rightful enthusiasm for the project, you do feel a bit concerned with its current design.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:19 PM

I'm gonna chime in here as I've said before I know someone inside. This design is VERY preliminary and they only recently started to consult architects/ planners etc. Everyone just relax, the truth is Ryan wasn't expecting to get the hockey team this fast and now they have alot on their plate they are trying to get done. However, woth regard to 300w, the Fidelity bldg, etc things will change massively. So just relax everyone. Obviously the sales tax increase is the first step, after that things will get more pinned down and plans more detailed. I will say with 100% certainty, priority #1 is renovating the Delta Center. That will be first and the rest will all be secondary.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Because as long as I've been alive, in terms of transformative development downtown, I can count on one hand who's invested in that type of development:

1. The LDS Church with the City Creek area.

2. The Federal Government with Gateway by funding the project through the Brownfield clean ups.

I guess you can add The Ritchie Group if the West Quarter is fully seen through fruition.

That's it.
While all three of those developments go back only 25 years, I would go a little further to include LHM's original Delta Center in 1991 on that list. But your argument is sound: If Downtown SLC throws open the exit doors, there will be an exodus to the suburbs and it will be a generational blow to the entire city. And the momentum of those three transformative developments creating new opportunities would be crushed.

At the same time, I can also see the disdain for Ryan "techbro" Smith who charges in and begins making demands, with everyone knowing the looming threat of the Jazz/Yeti playing much closer to Provo if he doesn't get his way. While it's fair to say SEG has not explicitly and publicly made this threat, everyone understands going south is the shiny, not-distant Plan B. Rocky's opinion aside, I can understand a lot of SLC residents not appreciating the optics of being held hostage and later being blamed for every pro sports team/concert hall/theater operating anywhere but SLC. There is also the very-well documented history of a certain powerful group and its members getting whatever they want with very little pushback. Knowing this, whatever precedent is set today could have lasting impacts, including a Disneyworld-style concept we all saw last year.

I'm hoping both sides can carefully get this done. It's a great project with more good than bad, in my opinion. That said, this suburban voter will give Smith a "hell no" vote if the Fidelity corner isn't purchased and bulldozed Day 1 of Phase 1 of this project.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 10:01 PM

First, Thank you Comrade! A big Ditto to your well-timed post.

...and thank you Taboubak. No one should be surprised that the Entertainment district plans are preliminary and subject to a lot of change. The same goes for the new hospital. It's all going to go through a number of iterations and fine-tuning.

To anyone who feels the obsessive need to hyperventilate over the many upcoming developments, please give it a rest and moderate your comments. Much of this thread is devolving into the worst kind of "comments section of a newspaper." Seriously, reading this thread lately saps the very life out of a person. At least wait until we have more specifics instead of just overreacting with a flood of suppositions and conspiracy theories.

If it helps, commit Taboubak's post to memory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
I'm gonna chime in here as I've said before I know someone inside. This design is VERY preliminary and they only recently started to consult architects/ planners etc. Everyone just relax, the truth is Ryan wasn't expecting to get the hockey team this fast, and now they have a lot on their plate they are trying to get it done. However, with regard to 300w, the Fidelity bldg, etc things will change massively. So just relax everyone. Obviously, the sales tax increase is the first step, after that things will get more pinned down and plans more detailed. I will say with 100% certainty, priority #1 is renovating the Delta Center. That will be first and the rest will all be secondary.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 10:24 PM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar View Post
I am on Team Comrade too. Great comment. Very much common sense.
This is unusual, but he is making great progress.

I am proud of him!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 11:36 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Not this again. I lived 30 of my 40 years on this planet IN SALT LAKE COUNTY. Back off!
I'm not trying to be flippant or rude but I don't care. You have no skin in the game. You don't live here anymore. It's not you that has to deal with the future of Salt Lake City losing both the Jazz and this new NHL team, on top of already losing the Bees, to the suburbs. And if the Salt Lake area were to land a MLB team? What incentive now does the LHM Group have in entering discussions with the city on the ballpark after they basically told Ryan Smith to get lost? That is cutting off your nose to spite your face. But hey, maybe losing the MLB to Draper or wherever wouldn't be that big of a deal either, right?

As a resident of Salt Lake, someone who pays property taxes and pretty much does most my shopping within Salt Lake, I have that skin in the game. My priority as a Salt Laker is to my city first. And I've seen Salt Lake where the downtown is NOT a destination. That's how it was for a good portion of my childhood. You only went downtown for two things: a concert or the Jazz (maybe ZCMI or Crossroads if we weren't feeling Cottonwood) and the kicker here is that your dismissiveness and willingness to just let Ryan Smith go build south will take two of those options off the table entirely. You have just eliminated one of the biggest traffic drivers to downtown by letting Smith go build a new state of the art arena down south.

If you would have actually listened to the citizen comments last night, you would have seen a significant amount of business owners downtown supporting this development. They, even more than me, have skin in the game. Now ask yourself why they would be supportive of it if they felt their livelihood wasn't tied to the success and vibrancy of downtown?

Quote:
Utah is not a dumpy state. There are GOOD odds (considering most of my family CONTINUE TO LIVE in SALT LAKE COUNTY) that in the not-to-distant future, I may live there again, and have to endure the consequences of these decisions.
Cool. Then when you live in Salt Lake City, you can be so dismissive of this project.

Quote:
The tribalism ("You are not REALLY one of us") is tired, Comrade. Seriously.
It's not tribalism, it's truth. It's easy for you to dismiss the idea because you're not the one who has to face the consequences of a dead downtown. Even if you move back to Salt Lake County and decide live in West Jordan, the impact isn't going to be the same.

We've seen Salt Lake County flourish despite Salt Lake's downtown being a ghost town. We saw it all through the 70s, 80s and even 90s. It wasn't until the Olympics, and the investment we saw from that, as well as the LDS Church, that Salt Lake started turning into a destination for the valley again.

But that's not guaranteed. Especially when Salt Lake continues to battle a very suburban mindset. The whole Wasatch Front is suburban-oriented. Downtown Salt Lake City is still not nearly as vibrant as other regional centers because of how unique our culture is here. The drivers for downtown, though, are cultural, commercial and entertainment. The commercial will never change. But that's pretty much what downtown was for a long period of its history: a commercial hub of 9-5 and then it was a ghost town. Sure you' had the Jazz out there on an island west of Main Street. But that was really it.

You open The Point as being the entertainment destination of the Wasatch Front and downtown will lose what has ushered in its revitalization these last 20 years.

And that will then start impacting people development. Who wants to live in a dead downtown? Especially when they can go live out in Draper and commute to The Point for all their entertainment options?

Like I said, then don't be surprised if in ten years, when the Utah Symphony starts discussing the needs for renovating Abravanel Hall, and now renovation is more expensive because a decade has gone by and the building is even in worse shape, the county just decides to build the new hall out where all the entertainment options are flocking.

It's easy to think I'm being hyperbolic. But we've seen first-hand Salt Lake lose out already on the Bees. We've seen Salt Lake lose out on RSL. We've seen Salt Lake lose out on the aquarium. We almost saw Salt Lake lose out on the Broadway theater. It was almost a lock in Sandy before their leadership sunk it.

But The Point ain't Sandy. It's got state investment. If Ryan Smith decides to build out there, it'll shift the whole paradigm of entertainment along the Wasatch Front.

Why do you think the city is so invested in this development? Don't you think they might have an idea of what the prospects of Salt Lake losing the Jazz and this NHL team, along with all the other events that come with the Delta Center means for downtown? Don't you think they realize their limitations and the fact that, for 50 years, that area of downtown has been entirely disconnected from the heart of the city?

There was a councilperson on a podcast a few weeks ago, and I can't remember who it was, who said Salt Lake flat-out sucks at visionary development. And it's true. How many times since you have been on this forum has Salt Lake released its downtown plan that showcases these grand boulevards and urban developments? This was from 2014.

I want you to go look at the HUB portion of this PDF. How much progress has Salt Lake made at transforming the Rio Grande area? It's been ten years - even longer really - and how many proposals have come and gone about redeveloping that area into something significant? There's even a page on Block 85 that remains vacant.

I don't know why anyone would expect Salt Lake to be able to do even half of what is being proposed without SEG. And I say that confidently because they haven't already.

Quote:
So, The Gateway ain't working?
The Gateway has always been in a period transition ever since it was built. But I promise you, Gateway would be the first impacted if the Jazz and this NHL team left downtown because they do a significant amount of business during game days (and it'll now double with the NHL team - as there will be 82 home games between the Jazz and the NHL).

Quote:
CCC ain't working?
Never mentioned City Creek outside saying that the LDS Church invested in downtown with its creation.

Quote:
Main Street revitalization ain't working?
Didn't mention Main Street. That's not the area we're discussing. We're talking about western downtown.

Quote:
Revitalization of the 400 S corridor ain't working?
Again, I think you're confused. The area we're talking about is on the western side of downtown.

Quote:
Please clarify what "ain't working", Comrade.
I spelled it out pretty clearly. We're talking about this specific area of downtown. It is not working. The western part of downtown is embarrassing. And the kicker is that we're not even talking the status quo here. That was my bad. We're talking worse than the status quo because the perspective you're coming from ends with the Jazz and this NHL team leaving western downtown. But in your weird logic, that will somehow be better overall. Do you think The Ritchie Group would be excited about losing the Delta Center next to their West Quarter development? We already know The Ritchie Group is on board with this development. Would they really support it if they didn't feel it helped that entire region of downtown?

Quote:
Because, without massive government subsidy the actual commercial real estate market can't bear it.
So? Your answer is to let Salt Lake lose the Jazz and the NHL and the biggest indoor concert venue (that's actually used for big shows) in the state? And you think downtown won't be negatively impacted by that, especially conceding that it's impossible to invest in multi-project development that have an overall massive impact on the region? We can continue building four-to-five story residential cookie-cutter apartments but that's not going to keep Salt Lake thriving.

Then you lose the Jazz and the NHL and the concert venues and then possibly the MLB and maybe even the symphony because Salt Lake is becoming less and less a destination as everything shifts out south - and guess what? All that investment and vibrancy that you've spent 20 year building ... it all dries up. Because people don't see the need to come downtown anymore.

It's not a destination now. The Point is. That's where everything starts to go.

And downtown Salt Lake starts to resemble Los Angeles where it has commercial buildings and a couple cultural centers but it's mostly just 9-5 again. The difference, of course, is that LA has LA Live and is a much larger downtown core. But we've been here before. Our grandparents saw Salt Lake City go from THE destination to an afterthought. It can happen again. Especially in the new world of work from home, where there isn't as big of a need for a 30 story office tower. You can turn those into housing, but as we've seen, Salt Lake isn't known for massive amounts of residential high-rises anymore.

We already have seen the Silicone Slopes shift south. We know that the fastest growing cities are in Northern Utah County (including Lehi where, gosh, Ryan Smith is from). How does Salt Lake compete with that if you're not willing to take opportunities like this? You can't. We know they can't because they haven't been able to.

I've said multiple times in the past that Salt Lake can't just rely on the LDS Church for its major development. That's not sustainable. And here we have SEG ready to kick start a revitalization of an area of downtown that has largely been ignored, and you think, as a non-resident, it's perfectly fine to just shrug and say, "never mind" knowing the potential consequences that can have on downtown Salt Lake.

I just disagree with that mentality.

Quote:
Remember stories of when the downtown malls opened and Main Street died?
The downtown malls opened because Main Street was already dying. It was an effort to keep up with the suburbs as downtown was hemorrhaging that type of traffic. With the addition of Crossroads, it actually kinda slowed the decline of downtown and Main Street. I mentioned already that the only reasons to go downtown in the 90s was to either attend a show at the Delta Center or hang out at the malls.

Quote:
Then remember when The Gateway opened and the two downtown malls died?

Then remember when CCC opened and The Gateway started dying?
You're proving my point. If Salt Lake refuses to adapt, that vibrancy dies. The malls didn't kill Main Street. Losing everything to the suburbs, and the mega malls out south, did. The city, along with the LDS Church, opened the mall to combat that shift. Did it work? That's debatable but what would Salt Lake have gained without the malls? Is your argument that Main Street would have been far more vibrant without the construction of the malls? Here's Main Street in 1974, a year before ZCMI opened and six years before Crossroads. It doesn't look very vibrant to me:

Yes, over time the downtown malls needed to be reenvisioned. But what vibrancy does City Creek actually create for all of Main Street? Wasn't the biggest issue with City Creek that it still took people off Main Street and moved 'em into the middle of each block ... just like the malls did?

As I said initially, it's never going to be perfect. But City Creek is still better than what existed there before. It's the same with Gateway. Gateway has reinvented itself too. It needed to to survive. That's how downtowns work. But what you're putting out there is doing nothing and I'm sorry, that isn't reinventing anything. In fact, it's now directly impacting the city because doing nothing will result in the city losing the Jazz, this NHL team and a major driver into downtown. And that impacts ALL of downtown. Not just the western part. All those businesses, including the new bars at Gateway, count on that traffic.

Quote:
There are only so many retail dollars to go around in the region. It's why Rocky Anderson rightly opposed the 5600 West Megamall (funny enough, you and I were on opposite sides of that issue 20 years ago). Building more commercial doesn't generate enough new sales to cover the new square footage. A lot of it is just cannibalized from older retail. (Hence why cities often put their shopping right on the border of an adjacent city).
Salt Lake continues to grow and adapt and every new development has forced other developments to adjust to survive - and they've done it. I see no reason to believe that won't happen here, especially with a new residential high-rise, hotel and the fact we'd be keeping the Jazz + adding 41 more home games to help with traffic. That will only help bolster downtown and continue to make it a destination to travel and live.

Quote:
The reason why we don't have additional development on that block is because, without subsidy, the market won't bear it. Don't think there haven't been ambitious around the world who have considered it and even approached a commercial bank to explore the feasibility. But the bank comes back and says "no," and the project dies.
And the only reason we have the Gateway is because the federal government subsidized the clean up of that area through their Brownfield project. It wasn't going to happen on its own. And the only reason we have City Creek is because the LDS Church built it. It wasn't going to happen on its own. Yes, the LDS Church funded the project but it shows how impactful it was to downtown.

And so has been the Gateway. Even if it's not the best of what we had always envisioned, it's still infinitely better than what existed on that land before it was built and more impressively my friend, this development will help bridge the gap between Main and the Gateway by opening up a western part of downtown that has been completely divided from the rest of the city since really the original Salt Palace was built in the 1960s.

But that was over 50 years ago and the same issues that impacted that area of downtown then, still impact it now. This is our opportunity to rectify that problem and finally unite the two downtown areas.

Quote:
And maybe a TIF-style development like this will be the right answer.

But two tunnels, loss of easement, and haphazard internally-facing development that kills traffic on the public sidewalks is BAD DESIGN. The kind of BAD DESIGN you and others on this message board educated me on over the past 20 years! (It's heartbreaking to see the about face.)
There is no loss of easement. SEG already told the city last night that the plaza will be open to the public at all times. But even if that was the case, which it's not, how big of an impact would that have anyway? Because I drive down 300 West around the Delta Center and outside Jazz games, the area is dead. No one is out there chillin' or hanging out. It's a complete dead zone. In fact, I'll go one-step further: it's an embarrassment. It's embarrassing that this area exists so close to the heart of downtown. And it's an embarrassment that after 33 years, the city still hasn't been able to find enough commitment to invest in that area beyond low-rise apartments.

Quote:
The city/county/state stand up for themselves, and say, "Ryan, if you want access to the money, streets, land you are asking for — you gotta do better. This first draft is ROUGH."
They disagree with you and so do I. I think the first draft is pretty exciting.

Quote:
And then list firm but reasonable expectations he needs to me. His job is not to make SLC a great city (you can't outsource good planning). His job is to make money (as it should be). The city/county/state and residents need to set the expectations. So far it looks like everyone is letting him lead.
And that's the rub: it's Salt Lake asking Ryan Smith for his help. Not the other way around. Smith was content relocating the Jazz and this NHL team out south and I'm sure he'd be content saying, "I'm not interested with these demands". But if you watched the SEG presentation, you would see that they were mindful of what the council was asking - and they've already aggressively supported the need to keep Abravanel Hall if the county determines they want it part of the project.

What I think? I think you're gonna find every reason to hate this project. We're already seeing it. You spent a lot of energy drawing a redline on Abravanel Hall and now it appears that's likely to remain part of the project and you're redrawing a new line over something you don't like. You just don't want this to go through and I guess that's fine but again, you're not the one who has to potentially face the consequences of a downtown that takes a significant hit if Smith just ups and bolts for the suburbs.

Quote:
Let's let Ryan screw around with one block at a time before we "Sugarhole" the symphony hall site.
I have infinitely more confidence in Ryan Smith than you do, I guess. But I'm not going to create scenarios in my head just to support some theory.

Quote:
Rocky is like dynamite. Destructive in the wrong hands (anyone remember the Rocky v. Hannity "debate" debacle?). But placed in the right places, Rocky did stuff done. Which is why we have a great Main Street and not a dead Megamall on 5600 West.
Rocky had eight years to commit to some level of development in that area of downtown. I have defended Rocky on a lot of things but his aggression here is misplaced and his tenure as mayor is an example of why on multiple fronts. 1) again, he didn't do a damn thing about helping with vibrancy in that area outside killing the western mall that was originally planned out by the airport (good on him for that) and 2) he watched as downtown lost RSL and the stadium to the suburbs. I don't blame Rocky at all but he tried to work the RDA system to get funding for the stadium then so it's kind of funny he's up in arms over it now.

But that just proves my point. Salt Lake lost out on the stadium nearly 20 years ago. The land Rocky was willing to subsidize all the way back then was a vacant parking lot right on Main Street. A perfect location for the stadium. And we're still waiting for the full potential of that site. We're starting to get some development down that way but it's still not vibrant. It's still detached from downtown. Better than it was, but who knows how it would have developed over the last 20 years if RSL built its stadium there?

Quote:
TL;dr Comrade, I'm not 100% anti Ryan Smith. I just want to see the city step up and demand good urban design principles. And this current draft is Crossroads Plaza 2.0 (sans roof). It sucks royally. And I hope deep down that even with your rightful enthusiasm for the project, you do feel a bit concerned with its current design.
You're not just showing a bit of concern. You're outright being negative to this project and acting like it shouldn't happen.

Last edited by Comrade; Jun 12, 2024 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 11:56 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
I'm gonna chime in here as I've said before I know someone inside. This design is VERY preliminary and they only recently started to consult architects/ planners etc. Everyone just relax, the truth is Ryan wasn't expecting to get the hockey team this fast and now they have alot on their plate they are trying to get done. However, woth regard to 300w, the Fidelity bldg, etc things will change massively. So just relax everyone. Obviously the sales tax increase is the first step, after that things will get more pinned down and plans more detailed. I will say with 100% certainty, priority #1 is renovating the Delta Center. That will be first and the rest will all be secondary.
My assumption is their first priority is renovating the Delta Center (as you say), as it should be. I agree that it's way too early to freak out over these designs. In fact, they were drafted literally because the city wanted more understanding of the project scope before they committed to it. For a first design, I think it's both fine and exciting. I also concede it's not happening tomorrow or next year.

I am actually more interested in what the Delta Center will look like because that will be the first step in all this.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 11:56 PM

Here's an interview with a rep. from Ryan Smith's entertainment group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54aY0aWfbZs&t=452s

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:04 AM

+1 to Comrade’s points. Well said.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 12:38 AM

I’ll be pleasantly surprised if all the proposed developments including SEG and West Quarter end up being fully developed to the original plans. I get what Taboubak, Delts, Comrade and others are saying. But if we’re taking history then historically we’ve been let down. Look no further then the taller towers that were in the initial West Quarter proposals. Or the many towers and projects that have not come to fruition - Lions Hotel biotech complex, Sundial, Main Street tower, W temple and 400 S tower, etc. I welcome all this development, but if history repeats itself we won’t get a significantly better follow up proposal from Intermountain, and those tall towers in the SEG renderings will not be as tall as they initially are suggesting they’ll be. I think people have a right to want more, but also be realistic. I think Comrade is trying to be realistic and so am I. I will be happy for whatever development that happens because it hopefully will lead to a more vibrant downtown with more people living there and things to do. But people can still be disappointed and want more, that’s human nature

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:01 AM
Exit 298

(deleted)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:06 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
To anyone who feels the obsessive need to hyperventilate over the many upcoming developments, please give it a rest and moderate your comments. Much of this thread is devolving into the worst kind of "comments section of a newspaper." Seriously, reading this thread lately saps the very life out of a person. At least wait until we have more specifics instead of just overreacting with a flood of suppositions and conspiracy theories.
I assume this is pointed at me.

In fairness, the Legislature did kind of start this mess by passing a $1B commitment in less than 24 hours. Stuff can move fast. I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned.

I take more offense at being considered an "outsider" considering I've loyally been a part of this forum for 20+ years, was born in Utah, etc. I really thought Utah was less provincial and more regionally focused. Evidentially only 175,000 people truly get a say in this, and the rest of us are supposed to just shut up and not have an opinion? That ain't right.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
I’ll be pleasantly surprised if all the proposed developments including SEG and West Quarter end up being fully developed to the original plans. I get what Taboubak, Delts, Comrade and others are saying. But if we’re taking history then historically we’ve been let down. Look no further then the taller towers that were in the initial West Quarter proposals. Or the many towers and projects that have not come to fruition - Lions Hotel biotech complex, Sundial, Main Street tower, W temple and 400 S tower, etc. I welcome all this development, but if history repeats itself we won’t get a significantly better follow up proposal from Intermountain, and those tall towers in the SEG renderings will not be as tall as they initially are suggesting they’ll be. I think people have a right to want more, but also be realistic. I think Comrade is trying to be realistic and so am I. I will be happy for whatever development that happens because it hopefully will lead to a more vibrant downtown with more people living there and things to do. But people can still be disappointed and want more, that’s human nature
I mean counterpoint? We just got a new tallest and have had 5 towers finished in the past 3 or 4 years. We have alot of momentum that we can keep going. All those projects were mostly just killed by high interest rates, and I bet most developers still have plans to revive them once the market turns favorable again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West