HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
It's not that exciting, I promise lol. I really can't say anything more about it though. As soon as I can share, I will! (But by that time, it'll probably have already been posted on here haha.)
Hm, “pretty cool, but not that exciting”, but not not necessarily a new tenant to the city. Feels like a riddle

Well, it’s pretty centrally located so I can’t imagine it’d be a second CC location for anyone. So I’m assuming it may have been a retailer that recently closed elsewhere in the city... sooo perhaps Banana Republic, Zara or less likely Gap or Forever 21? Unless it’s something a bit more random like a small format Best Buy. How about don’t answer if it’s any of those...lol

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jan 26, 2022 at 9:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Awesome pictures! Looks like you covered a lot of ground during your trip. The N 15th Street overbuild is making progress, but extremely slow.

And Fermentery Form is next to Stateside Vodka, great vodka. They used to have tastings, but still haven't re-opened their tasting room.

(most of my friends love beer, but I'm a Vodka person )
Thanks! And I've been wanting to try Stateside for a while now, since I've been right beside it multiple times. But good to know about the tasting room. Hopefully it reopens soon so I can can get the full experience and finally try it!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
I was visiting friends in Philly this past Saturday (01/22/2022) and was again blown away by the amount of development happening everywhere we went! I snapped some photos when I could but not all are great quality.
Thank you for posting! Great updates. Yeah, there’s a ton of development going on in Philadelphia. It’s super impressive to see!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Time to share an annoyance of the week. Sorry to be OT for a moment

All the major networks and the Weather Channel are going on about the potential Northeastern snowstorm this weekend, and most of them leave Philadelphia off the map! I know it may be trivial and most people don't even notice, but it infuriates me.

I cannot understand why Philadelphia is so overlooked on weather maps. It's not like they are using 1980s graphics that fit one name on a map. I say F New York and DC and show Philly and Boston.
Agreed. It’s mind-boggling and rage-inducing honesty. Philadelphia has to be the most shit on, disrespected and looked down on major city and major metropolitan area in the United States….and quite frankly it kicks the crap out of Media darling cities like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Nashville, Austin, etc. etc. Philadelphia can even go toe to toe no problem with Boston, San Francisco, DC and Miami, cities I would consider Philadelphia’s peers, with only NYC, LA and Chicago truly ahead of Philadelphia.

Thankfully, I think the negative narrative on Philadelphia is slowly starting to change. Of course, the recent crime waves the past 2 years hasn’t helped.

As a local Philadelphian, I’ve almost entirely stopped watching the national news and the weather channel. I strictly only watch ABC News or PHL17 News, if any news at all. I’ve almost stopped watching ABC News too because of how negative it is. PHL17 News weekday mornings is just delightful. It’s the best news to watch weekday mornings in Philadephia in my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Hm, “pretty cool, but not that exciting”, but not not necessarily a new tenant to the city. Feels like a riddle

Well, it’s pretty centrally located so I can’t imagine it’d be a second CC location for anyone. So I’m assuming it may have been a retailer that recently closed elsewhere in the city... sooo perhaps Banana Republic, Zara or less likely Gap or Forever 21? Unless it’s something a bit more random like a small format Best Buy. How about don’t answer if it’s any of those...lol
Won’t be Forever 21 since they moved to the Fashion District. Banana Republic, Gap and Zara are all possibilities. Last I heard, all 3 were looking for new spaces in Philadelphia. Best Buy is a good guess, but I think they’re hurting pretty bad. I would also guess Williams Sonoma.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Won’t be Forever 21 since they moved to the Fashion District. Banana Republic, Gap and Zara are all possibilities. Last I heard, all 3 were looking for new spaces in Philadelphia. Best Buy is a good guess, but I think they’re hurting pretty bad. I would also guess Williams Sonoma.
Ah right, I forgot Forever 21 was over the the FD. I thought it might be Williams Sonoma as well but seems like that space would be a little too big for them. Best Buy was a wild guess but you’re right they’ve been pulling back and I haven’t heard of a smaller concept format. Also, I’d imagine they’d really need some kind of loading dock.

Gap would make a lot of sense right now. While I don’t believe it’s officially been announced yet, they have to be getting ready to close their outlet on Chestnut since Bankroll has been approved and will likely take over that entire spot - meaning Gap would no longer have any presence in CC. However, then again as a brand, Gap had been downsizing nationally even before the pandemic. Whatever the case, one would think it’d be something halfway exciting considering it’s right across the street from The W, The RC Hotel and RC Residences.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:06 PM
Chris

Quote:
Ah right, I forgot Forever 21 was over the the FD. I thought it might be Williams Sonoma as well but seems like that space would be a little too big for them. Best Buy was a wild guess but you’re right they’ve been pulling back and I haven’t heard of a smaller concept format. Also, I’d imagine they’d really need some kind of loading dock.

Gap would make a lot of sense right now. While I don’t believe it’s officially been announced yet, they have to be getting ready to close their outlet on Chestnut since Bankroll has been approved and will likely take over that entire spot - meaning Gap would no longer have any presence in CC. However, then again as a brand, Gap had been downsizing nationally even before the pandemic. Whatever the case, one would think it’d be something halfway exciting considering it’s right across the street from The W, The RC Hotel and RC Residences.
Flagship Rite Aid! Jk, lol.

My guess is Zara, Banana, Williams Sonoma, Home Goods, Michael's, all great. I can't think of many other retailers that work in a semi-large space.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:15 PM

Ill echo what others have said I think it will be Zara based on a few things. Primark is eating their lunch in the city at the fashion district and they mentioned they only want a space in the city with multiple floors. While I think they could use a better space, this would be great news for the retail health of the city. Hopefully if true, this will be the catalyst to bring more brands into CC and satellite locations in NoLibs/Fishtown. I am especially shocked that Aritzia has not opened a store in the city considering how many women I see wearing their stuff in CC and NoLibs. They would make a ton of money!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Ill echo what others have said I think it will be Zara based on a few things. Primark is eating their lunch in the city at the fashion district and they mentioned they only want a space in the city with multiple floors. While I think they could use a better space, this would be great news for the retail health of the city. Hopefully if true, this will be the catalyst to bring more brands into CC and satellite locations in NoLibs/Fishtown. I am especially shocked that Aritzia has not opened a store in the city considering how many women I see wearing their stuff in CC and NoLibs. They would make a ton of money!
Walked by the Artizia space last night. Looks like they’re already starting interior demo!

Speaking of multiple floors, it’s strange that the Drexel Building on 15th/Walnut still hasn’t picked up a tenant after sitting vacant for years. The owners asked the HC to enlarge their windows a bit to apparently make the space more appealing to retailers but I can’t imagine that it’d be that much of a deterrent. It’s such a cool building and in a great location. Frustrating to see it languish.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 2:42 PM

Well, a quick review of your post history shows you mentioning that the Walgreens would be a good space for a Saks off 5th. So, that's my guess.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Walked by the Artizia space last night. Looks like they’re already starting interior demo!

Speaking of multiple floors, it’s strange that the Drexel Building on 15th/Walnut still hasn’t picked up a tenant after sitting vacant for years. The owners asked the HC to enlarge their windows a bit to apparently make the space more appealing to retailers but I can’t imagine that it’d be that much of a deterrent. It’s such a cool building and in a great location. Frustrating to see it languish.
Where is Aritzia hoping to open? Rittenhouse? Honestly, this is much needed for the city and they will make a killing!\

Edit: 1719 Walnut st. Source - https://preview.redd.it/glxd1j2zqpc8...=webp&fca4f4ae

Last edited by chimpskibot; Jan 27, 2022 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:35 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:

Lol last I will say about this is that all of those guesses are pretty far off. From the discussion here, I think people will be surprised when they see what is actually going in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb233541 View Post
Well, a quick review of your post history shows you mentioning that the Walgreens would be a good space for a Saks off 5th. So, that's my guess.
Ok I lied, this will be the last I say. Not a Saks Off 5th!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:51 PM

Well that's good, because I hate the implication that Broad St is somehow an off brand 5th Ave.

Perhaps it's Watch Box (also based on your posting history...) An October 2021 article says they are opening a Philadelphia HQ. If that's the case, I actually don't think it's a terrible location. It's across the street from the Ritz and W, so they can attract well heeled tourists.

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/arti...amid-expansion

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:05 PM
Chris

Quote:
Where is Aritzia hoping to open? Rittenhouse? Honestly, this is much needed for the city and they will make a killing!\

Edit: 1719 Walnut st. Source - https://preview.redd.it/glxd1j2zqpc8...=webp&fca4f4ae
Aritzia will add much needed life and energy to the 1700 Block of Walnut, which is looking rough nowadays, mostly because of the giant hole on the South side. But the North side is also at least half vacant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Lol last I will say about this is that all of those guesses are pretty far off. From the discussion here, I think people will be surprised when they see what is actually going in there.

Ok I lied, this will be the last I say. Not a Saks Off 5th!
Boo. I'm stumped then if it's not Zara, Banana, WS, Home Goods, or Michael's.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Aritzia will add much needed life and energy to the 1700 Block of Walnut, which is looking rough nowadays, mostly because of the giant hole on the South side. But the North side is also at least half vacant.

Boo. I'm stumped then if it's not Zara, Banana, WS, Home Goods, or Michael's.
Same. And I can’t really imagine it’d be a restaurant or food related since it’s 3 floors.

I wonder when we find out if we’ll be pleasantly surprised, disappointedly surprised or “eh not bad” surprised? Lol

Just hope it’s not another bank branch or T Mobile...

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jan 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb233541 View Post
Well that's good, because I hate the implication that Broad St is somehow an off brand 5th Ave.

Perhaps it's Watch Box (also based on your posting history...) An October 2021 article says they are opening a Philadelphia HQ. If that's the case, I actually don't think it's a terrible location. It's across the street from the Ritz and W, so they can attract well heeled tourists.

https://www.nationaljeweler.com/arti...amid-expansion
Good guess. Although unless I missed it, it doesn’t look like the article mentioned they’re opening a new Philly HQ - it’s already located in Bala Cynwyd. Unless they’d do some kind of ground floor retail and upper floor HQ, which would be “pretty cool” but maybe too “exiting”. I know I’m grasping at straws here

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Good guess. Although unless I missed it, it doesn’t look like the article mentioned they’re opening a new Philly HQ - it’s already located in Bala Cynwyd. Unless they’d do some kind of ground floor retail and upper floor HQ, which would be “pretty cool” but maybe too “exiting”. I know I’m grasping at straws here
You're right, I was reading too quickly. It says they already have a "Philadelphia HQ".

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:43 PM

I wonder what if it could be something like a Sprouts. I read they’re in the process of expanding. It wouldn’t be terribly exciting but still an upgrade for the corner and would generate more foot traffic. However, the space seems like it’d be awkward, especially for carts, but their other location is kind of “packed in” as well and a lot of places have cart escalators for urban grocery stores nowadays. Then again, the CC grocery store market seems to be getting saturated unless Sprouts wanted to get into the area before it does. I’m just rambling at this point - trying to piece together the clues

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jan 27, 2022 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Yep! Old H&M space on Walnut. Aritizia is the perfect tenant for Walnut Street. I hope they lead the charge of new retail leases on Walnut.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 12:14 AM
Chris

Demo is complete, hopefully construction soon.

On the Clock for Former Bank at Ridge & Spring Garden

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-spring-garden

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development