PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 1:26 PM
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
And they aren't seriously thinking of making the north facade look like that are they? What a missed opportunity.
The north wall renderings are just my speculation, based on scant information and Foster + Partners' existing works featuring offset elevator cores. The only official information we have showing the core layout are the floor plans featured in the Vornado brochure:

This interior rendering actually shows the elevator banks and what looks like a translucent glazing on the north wall, however this is a very early iteration of Foster's design:

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nope to the nope.

count me as on team xing lin over the renzo piano cheese grater.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 2:42 PM
Houston:Considered Good

I really like the interior design in the second photo, I love Norman Fosters work.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:27 PM

^^its just a sea of spread out furniture. Also are those random robot arms. Ok that's kinda cool. lol

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 8:12 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
^^its just a sea of spread out furniture. Also are those random robot arms. Ok that's kinda cool. lol
Personally I like the couches facing either other but 30' apart. My kind of in-person interaction.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 4:02 PM
New Yorker for life

It could be argued that the "giant skyscraper" is New York City's history, more than any other, but let's carry on about this hotel...

https://secretnyc.co/hotel-pennsylvania-nyc-demolition/

New York City’s Century-Old Hotel Pennsylvania Is Currently Being Demolished
To make way for a 1,200-foot skyscraper & development

CLAIRE LEADEN
JANUARY 31, 2022

Quote:
NYC is sadly losing another piece of history…to make way for another giant skyscraper.

Midtown’s Hotel Pennsylvania — which first opened in 1919, right across the street from Penn Station — is currently being demolished by its owners, the Vornado Realty Trust. The company communicated the news with shareholders back in April, as reported by Bloomberg at the time, but now the demolition is actually underway.

According to Untapped Cities, who first reported news of the demolition currently underway, the interior is being gutted this month, which mean the exterior will likely take its fall within the next few weeks.

The hotel was first closed down during the start of the pandemic. The developer most recently planned to build a 1,200-foot skyscraper there, following Governor Cuomo’s — and now Governor Hochul’s — massive Penn Station revitalization project.

Though Hochul did alter the plans recently, they still involve adding 10 supertall towers to the neighborhood to offset the cost of renovations to the NYC transit hub, plus some public spaces including car-free bike and pedestrian streets.

The analogy of the ESB...

https://twitter.com/TribecaTrust/sta...C9ifDLw6kpAAAA

Quote:
yeah, I am not a fan of the Empire State Building (I prefer the Woolworth). Towers are okay if there a few great ones sprinkled around, but when they take over the city it's a problem.

https://twitter.com/SukritGanesh/sta...07998029594624

Quote:
No Empire State Building for you I guess.

If the original Waldorf-Astoria (that stood on the site of the Empire State Building) existed today, it would likely be landmarked.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I don't mind that Renzo Piano tower, and not just because it reminds me of a tower in my city. I will say that modern architecture is one of those styles that probably won't age well. 15 Penn Plaza is an example of that. I think modern architecture is too simple and bland too much of the time, and way repetitive too much of the time. There are several examples of a trend within the style that you can point to and see in multiple cities.

And they aren't seriously thinking of making the north facade look like that are they? What a missed opportunity.
The problem isn't that the design is modern, the problem is that the design is bad. There are plenty of modern buildings that have aged into iconic symbols of their respective cities--the Sears Tower, the Sydney Opera House, the St. Louis Arch, the Gherkin, the CN Tower, the Guggenheims in NYC and Bilbao. I would like to see a great modern design on this site because it would contrast with the ESB and display the different eras of skyscraper design. But sadly, this current iteration is too ungainly to stand so close to ESB.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 12:28 AM

Quote:
they still involve adding 10 supertall towers to the neighborhood
If only!

That anti-ESB twitter lady says she wants a "human-scale NYC". Isn't NYC's incomprehensible scale exactly what makes it special? Isn't that what tourists flock from all over the world to see, the sheer scale of this dense, seemingly endless metropolis? A "human-scale NYC" sounds boring to me. There are thousands of human-scale towns out there. There's only one NYC.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It could be argued that the "giant skyscraper" is New York City's history, more than any other, but let's carry on about this hotel...

https://secretnyc.co/hotel-pennsylvania-nyc-demolition/

New York City’s Century-Old Hotel Pennsylvania Is Currently Being Demolished
To make way for a 1,200-foot skyscraper & development
"NYC is sadly losing another piece of history…to make way for another giant skyscraper." Yes as it has done for generations. Also a building just being part of NYC's history is no reason to care about it. You could appeal to the architectural merits of the hotel or even architectural significance but just being part of the history doesn't really mean anything.
"The developer most recently planned to build a 1,200-foot skyscraper there, following Governor Cuomo’s — and now Governor Hochul’s — massive Penn Station revitalization project." Just being pedantic but this was never to follow the Penn reno, nor is it connected to that except that it's in the area and Vornado is the developer.
"adding 10 supertall towers" That would great but it's not happening. Maybe 1 or 2 supertalls but most of it looks to be shorter than even Hudson Yards.
"yeah, I am not a fan of the Empire State Building (I prefer the Woolworth). Towers are okay if there a few great ones sprinkled around, but when they take over the city it's a problem." 1) Being a fan of one building doesn't mean you can't be a fan of another building. 2) How delusional. How many times must it be repeated what city this is. Towers took over the city a century ago, they are still being built and they will continue to.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 2:03 AM
DENNAB

Sorry if this was mentioned recently but when will this be officially U/C?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Sorry if this was mentioned recently but when will this be officially U/C?
Probably early to mid next year. Maybe even late this year. Then again I might be being conservative with my estimates right now.
Interior is getting gutted right now, exterior in the next couple of months.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 2:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I don't mind that Renzo Piano tower, and not just because it reminds me of a tower in my city. I will say that modern architecture is one of those styles that probably won't age well. 15 Penn Plaza is an example of that. I think modern architecture is too simple and bland too much of the time, and way repetitive too much of the time. There are several examples of a trend within the style that you can point to and see in multiple cities.

I recognized the similarity too, Kevin. And I agree completely with your entire post.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 2:28 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSelby View Post
If only!

That anti-ESB twitter lady says she wants a "human-scale NYC". Isn't NYC's incomprehensible scale exactly what makes it special? Isn't that what tourists flock from all over the world to see, the sheer scale of this dense, seemingly endless metropolis? A "human-scale NYC" sounds boring to me. There are thousands of human-scale towns out there. There's only one NYC.
I live in a neighborhood in the Bronx that is "human-scale" and totally fine. But why would anyone want Midtown - let alone the area adjacent to the busiest commuter hub in the country - to be "human-scale?" Should we be putting up brownstones or something? The scale here should be massive.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 8:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I live in a neighborhood in the Bronx that is "human-scale" and totally fine. But why would anyone want Midtown - let alone the area adjacent to the busiest commuter hub in the country - to be "human-scale?" Should we be putting up brownstones or something? The scale here should be massive.
They're just idiots who want to make a "cause". There is no cause to be had here, though. This is a large country, and it's a large city. The era of "human-scaled" business district was over a century ago. New York has long been a skyscraper town, and has skyscrapers from every era. That's what makes it the skyline special. We get the old, but we also get the new. The city is constantly moving forward, and what gets built reflects what the market, which is what ultimately gets these skyscrapers built, demands. Period.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 8:37 PM

https://twitter.com/williampitonyak/...587697676?s=21

I posted a photo of the fire today at the Pennsylvania Hotel on my Twitter.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPitonya View Post
https://twitter.com/williampitonyak/...587697676?s=21

I posted a photo of the fire today at the Pennsylvania Hotel on my Twitter.
Damn, unfortunate. Hopefully it was empty during the fire.
And a good thing they were already demolishing it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 9:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Just saw a clip on instagram...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZsHH__jL0z/

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 9:21 PM
New Yorker for life

https://patch.com/new-york/midtown-n...nt=midtown-nyc

Fire Breaks Out In Hotel Pennsylvania With Demolition Underway
A fire broke out Monday inside the Hotel Pennsylvania: the Midtown institution now being demolished from the inside.

Nick Garber
Feb 7, 2022

Quote:
A fire broke out Monday afternoon inside the Hotel Pennsylvania: the shuttered Midtown institution that is now undergoing demolition.

It began around 2 p.m. on the second floor of the huge, 23-story hotel building, which spans Seventh Avenue between 32nd and 33rd streets.

No injuries were immediately reported, an FDNY spokesperson said. The hotel has been free of guests since it closed to the public last year.

Photos and videos from the scene showed smoke billowing out of the building and into the neighborhood, as emergency vehicles crowded the street in front of Penn Station and onlookers watched from the sidewalk.

It took 78 firefighters more than half an hour to contain the fire, bringing it under control by 2:43 p.m., according to the FDNY. The cause will be investigated.

https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/...879744/photo/1

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 1:28 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 1:54 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They must of not followed the hot works permit requirements.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals