HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ralph View Post
This guy knows what's up.
He never said Saskatoon doesn't deserve to be on that list, just that it is being sold as something it isn't.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 7:36 PM

For those of you on twitter, @nimbyxe is quickly becoming one of my favorite follows:

https://twitter.com/NIMBYxe

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:21 AM

Breaking News....
Was flipping thru TV channels tonight and just happened on City Council as they were APPROVING the Clarence and College highrise project! It is going ahead....whew!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
He never said Saskatoon doesn't deserve to be on that list, just that it is being sold as something it isn't.
It’s not that I’m frustrated about lol, it’s just a troll account contributing nothing if you open up their 10 comments that are solely meant to bait people.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Breaking News....
Was flipping thru TV channels tonight and just happened on City Council as they were APPROVING the Clarence and College highrise project! It is going ahead....whew!
Good for them to approve it. They are more than likely to approve the Urban Capital/Broadway highrise with this approval.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Ooo that is literally like three blocks from me, Evergreen is currently very unwalkable. You have to hop in your car for almost anything. It will be nice not having to drive 3 kms to the store everytime I need a loaf of bread. Assuming they open some kind of convenience/grocery store in this spot which I'm assuming they will since there are none in the area.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Good for them to approve it. They are more than likely to approve the Urban Capital/Broadway highrise with this approval.
I read the municipal planning commission report that Echos linked to earlier... it was very supportive of the Urban Capital/Broadway project. I would be shocked if it was not approved. Also I think there were some graphics in there that I don't recall seeing before.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 3:27 PM

Council voiced some empathy to neighborhoods who face larger infill projects, but indicated that the growth plan recommends that these type of developments occur on periphery or outer edges of neighborhood to preserve the core.

To me this suggests that Urban Capital Broadway project should be safe....I guess we will know soon....hope so.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:20 PM

The planning commission passed the Urban Capital rezoning today, per DeeAnn Mercier on twitter.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryceyourself View Post
Ooo that is literally like three blocks from me, Evergreen is currently very unwalkable. You have to hop in your car for almost anything. It will be nice not having to drive 3 kms to the store everytime I need a loaf of bread. Assuming they open some kind of convenience/grocery store in this spot which I'm assuming they will since there are none in the area.
Shoppers. In Regina, all the Shoppers now have groceries including some meat and produce. Maybe that will happen in Evergreen.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Shoppers. In Regina, all the Shoppers now have groceries including some meat and produce. Maybe that will happen in Evergreen.
I had thought they removed the fresh sections out of shoppers. Guess its been doing well if they kept it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
I had thought they removed the fresh sections out of shoppers. Guess its been doing well if they kept it.
Maybe I am out of date. It was a pilot project in Regina.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:50 AM

Broadway condo tower gets warm reception at city hall
Saskatoon developer calls process to get infill developments approved "fair."

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX Updated: January 29, 2019

Quote:
People could be getting tired of mounting opposition to big infill projects, since one of the largest proposed developments seems to be getting a warmer reception.

A 17-storey condominium tower with office space on the bottom two floors got the stamp of approval Tuesday from the municipal planning commission at Saskatoon city hall.

The building is planned for a vacant lot at the top of the Broadway Bridge along Broadway Avenue.

A joint venture between Saskatoon’s Victory Majors Investment Corporation and Toronto’s Urban Capital Property Group, it would be the tallest building in the Nutana neighbourhood.

“We engaged,” Victory Majors president John Nasser said in an interview. “We have a good developer with a proven track record that we’re partnering with. It’s a very thoughtful design.”

The building would include 112 residential units ranging from one to three bedrooms and 141 underground parking stalls.

Brent McAdam, the City of Saskatoon’s city centre planner, said the project has received “substantially more positive feedback.”

A public meeting on Oct. 10 attracted 115 people, a city report says. A petition opposing the tower was signed by 37 residents of the 12-storey Broadway Condominium, which is located on the opposite side of Broadway Avenue.

The tower exceeds the maximum height of nine storeys prescribed in the Broadway 360 plan, the commission heard, but the Broadway commercial zoning status sought for the project lacks a maximum height.

That zoning applies to most of the properties located along Broadway from the bridge to Eighth Street.

“Are the people fatigued from opposing construction projects?” commission chair Robin Mowat wondered.

DeeAnn Mercier, executive director of the Broadway Business Improvement District, said area businesses are “very excited” to see development on the vacant lot.

She called the proposal a “very high-class building.”

“People do want this type of density and this type of housing in this community,” she said.

[....]
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...n-at-city-hall

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:17 AM

I don't think I've seen the photo that is used in that article before and I LOVE it. The only bit of info in there that kind of sucks is that construction is at least one year away. My bet is that this project will start before the North Prairie one

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:07 PM

Wink

Well to be fair....North Prairie will be busy building the World Trade Centre tower!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:18 PM

Was dropping my wife off this morning downtown and drove by the conversion happening at the old police station (River Quarry) and was thinking it would make a pretty decent new downtown library!

I wonder if the Library Board/City would ever consider something like that...add a restaurant to main floor and the rest could be dedicated to Central Library.

https://riverquarry.ca/

Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Was dropping my wife off this morning downtown and drove by the conversion happening at the old police station (River Quarry) and was thinking it would make a pretty decent new downtown library!

I wonder if the Library Board/City would ever consider something like that...add a restaurant to main floor and the rest could be dedicated to Central Library.

https://riverquarry.ca/

Thoughts?
If the city wanted to use that as a library it would have been far more prudent to do the renovation themselves rather than sell the building, wait for the renovation and either buy or lease back.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
If the city wanted to use that as a library it would have been far more prudent to do the renovation themselves rather than sell the building, wait for the renovation and either buy or lease back.
I agree.

That being said, maybe the library can get in on the tower portion of the project if that happens. Have it built to suit their needs. Might require a long term lease agreement. Not sure if that's appealing to the library or if they want to own their spot.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
I agree.

That being said, maybe the library can get in on the tower portion of the project if that happens. Have it built to suit their needs. Might require a long term lease agreement. Not sure if that's appealing to the library or if they want to own their spot.
I think their current location is prime, and if it eventually comes to building a new downtown library (which I think is needed), maybe they can lease a temporary space while the current building is demolished and rebuilt. But only if they can aquire (not sure if they do) the building beside them on 3rd Ave. Having a presence on three street fronts, with public amenities, gathering spaces and the option of programs to spill out onto the street facing city hall could create a nice public square feeling.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:16 PM

I live two blocks from the downtown library and at the moment I avoid walking by it and go to the City of Saskatoon building side of the street. Its current state draws a lot of people that harrass people walking by - even witnessed a guy with wire cutters stealing a bike next to the front doors this summer lol. I would personally just like to see it demolished and turned into a parking lot now as the suburban libraries can cover what an iPad somehow can't do. 90% of the time I go there, the book I want isn't there and I have to drive to a suburb location anyway.

On a plus note for 4th Ave... High Noon Barber opened up last month at 233 4th Ave North. It is a really awesome atmosphere that we didn't have downtown taking up space in a building that was vacant forever. I highly recommend everyone check it out for men's haircuts and shaves - they also feature a ton of great local hair products. Prices aren't too bad either. I'm not affiliated lol, it's just great to see something like this in a more central downtown area. http://www.highnoonbarber.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan