HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Yes, I did. I was left to think WTF?

Does anyone know, or care to guess, what percentage of the Railyard Lands this baseball stadium would occupy? Would there be much land left? Maybe enough for a Tim Horton's perhaps?
Overlay-ish I did a while back...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 10:46 PM
BANNED

It would be an awful use of the land. At least if it was an arena, it would theoretically be utilized much more.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 11:21 PM

The water park should be indoors and the baseball stadium should just go away.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:01 AM

I think the Wascana Water Park is a ridiculous project that is going to increase vehicle traffic in the park and it's a big spend for 10 weeks a year. I think we'd have gotten a lot more from doing an indoor/year round project elsewhere.

The ball park is a waste as well. The city is not awash in money yet for more arenas/ballparks/etc.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 12:54 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthGirl View Post
I think the Wascana Water Park is a ridiculous project that is going to increase vehicle traffic in the park and it's a big spend for 10 weeks a year. I think we'd have gotten a lot more from doing an indoor/year round project elsewhere.

The ball park is a waste as well. The city is not awash in money yet for more arenas/ballparks/etc.
Probably more like 16 weeks in a decent year. Agree that it's a big spend, but I grew up in Saksatoon, which has Riverdale Pool, and also remember Wild Slides when it was still around here. The kids will definitely love the new pool, and could likely also keep some people in the city rather than going out to Katepwa for the day (or allow some kids to go to a waterslide park/pool if their families can't actually go out to Katepwa).

I think it's a fair point that it's a large chunk of change, but I view it as an amenity a city of our size should have as an attraction. An indoor facility would be nice, but there's something to be said for enjoying the brief but of summer we get.

The baseball stadium I'd support, it's not too outrageous in terms of the proposed size, but the railyards feels like a terrible choice. Would be better somewhere around the Old Taylor Field site if we want something somewhat central. There actually was a baseball field/stadium there in the early days. That said, I wouldn't support much city money going to it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:24 AM

I like the pool idea. I understand it's a lot of money, but I can see myself taking my kid there multiple times a summer. Seeing as we don't live too far, I'd be biking over and could spend the whole day at the park with maybe a museum visit in the AM or something.

I don't hate the ballpark idea as long as it uses no tax dollars and they shrink the parking lot. We don't need to sink more taxpayer money into a sports team. If it needs tax money to happen, then that's a hard pass from me.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 1:37 AM

The pool is getting rave reviews everywhere, as it should. It looks great.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:07 AM

The proposed ballpark is a great location there is nothing wrong with spending civic money on projects like this if you don’t cities going to decay there is no social activities it is a must let these projects be built the city Regina cannot fall behind all the other cities and have nothing because of the complaints of too many Karen’s not enough positive thinkersThe city needs these developments to move forward and it is not ridiculous that these projects or a girl what is ridiculous is not building them and letting the other cities move forward while Regina is left in the dust

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 2:21 AM

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/bra...-u-s-1.5453330

About 500 new jobs for Regina. The hiring spree is the latest in a string of economic announcements for Regina, which includes two canola crushing plants and a straw pulp mill.

“We’ve had three announcements over the last six weeks, about 1,500 construction jobs in those three announcements and another 300 or so permanent employees plus the Brandt jobs,” said Tina Beaudry-Mellor, chief economic growth officer for Economic Development Regina. “That’s tremendous results for the city of Regina.”

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Overlay-ish I did a while back...
Thank you

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:21 AM

***Wascana Pool***

Hey everyone, there is a thread for the Wascana Park pool.
Going forward, please post your pool comments there

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The mayor View Post
The proposed ballpark is a great location there is nothing wrong with spending civic money on projects like this if you don’t cities going to decay there is no social activities it is a must let these projects be built the city Regina cannot fall behind all the other cities and have nothing because of the complaints of too many Karen’s not enough positive thinkersThe city needs these developments to move forward and it is not ridiculous that these projects or a girl what is ridiculous is not building them and letting the other cities move forward while Regina is left in the dust
I think you forgot about these: . . . . . . .

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I don’t think you understand the intended use of this facility which is to make profits for the owners of the Red Sox. There are plenty of ball diamonds across the city to accommodate recreation. I think you are a little too hung up on the “falling behind” bit of propaganda that is pushed by rich team owners who want the public to subsidize their already flush bank accounts.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:58 PM

The baseball stadium is about at bad an idea as they come.

I would love an indoor Waterpark. Larger than Minot but smaller than west Edmonton.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 3:59 PM

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatch...ask-businesses

Avena CEO Gord Flaten said the $2.5 million makes it feasible for the company to build the Rowatt-based oat-processing mill. “We’re under construction right now.”

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I don’t think you understand the intended use of this facility which is to make profits for the owners of the Red Sox. There are plenty of ball diamonds across the city to accommodate recreation. I think you are a little too hung up on the “falling behind” bit of propaganda that is pushed by rich team owners who want the public to subsidize their already flush bank accounts.
In the realities of the world The city will be putting money upfront to build this facility thus for they will have part ownership in the facility which means they will be getting money out of this and there is nothing wrong with that

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 5:58 PM

https://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/c...ce-with-regina
Phil and the angry inch
This reporter is out to lunch
Still, Regina tends to get preferential treatment, at least from the province. Somehow, a $1.8-billion bypass was built around Regina, even though there’s a far greater need for such a project around Saskatoon.

Much like the slow-moving Saskatoon Freeway project, though, Saskatoon’s arena project is more complex than Regina’s.

First, the price tag for Saskatoon’s arena is much higher at an estimated $172 to $178 million, though that estimate comes from a three-year-old study.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 6:05 PM

Quote:
https://thestarphoenix.com/opinion/c...ce-with-regina
Phil and the angry inch
This reporter is out to lunch
Still, Regina tends to get preferential treatment, at least from the province. Somehow, a $1.8-billion bypass was built around Regina, even though there’s a far greater need for such a project around Saskatoon.

Much like the slow-moving Saskatoon Freeway project, though, Saskatoon’s arena project is more complex than Regina’s.

First, the price tag for Saskatoon’s arena is much higher at an estimated $172 to $178 million, though that estimate comes from a three-year-old study.
The Regina Bypass wasn't built because Regina needed a second Ring Rd, it was built to service (and justify) the GTH, which is completely independent of what the city wanted or needed.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
The Regina Bypass wasn't built because Regina needed a second Ring Rd, it was built to service (and justify) the GTH, which is completely independent of what the city wanted or needed.

Exactly. The Bypass was built for heavy truck traffic on the Trans Canada and Highway 11. They also added a few overpasses for Pilot Butte and White city on the tab of the province. It was not built for the citizens of Regina.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 7:16 PM

Before:

And recently updated on the Colliers listing:

Future serviced rail land eh?

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2004109

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Jun 3, 2021 at 7:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan