HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 11:00 PM

This is really great news! They should use it as a podium for a skyscraper!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 2:39 PM

Since there are a number of industry people here, I was wondering if anyone here attended the virtual meeting on the future of The Bay? The article doesn't give much detail, but the feeling I get is the result wasn't much more than "someone should really do something with The Bay building".

I'm not sure if it was realistic to anticipate much more from this kind of meeting at this point, but I hope there was a real sense of urgency to find developers who have a legitimate interest in doing something positive with the building. I guess it's caught in kind of a "chicken/egg" dilemma; who makes the first move? It would even be nice to know the if the meeting was able to establish what the "first move" should be...find developers, sketch out plans, look for government funding? How does an organization make the first real-world moves on a project like this?

From CTV news:

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/don-t-wa...town-1.5313957

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 2:55 PM
surely you agree with me

it was just a presentation put on by heritage Winnipeg to talk about the heritage value of the building...no connection to any development scheme or even the city's group looking for solutions.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:17 PM

Based on no developers or business leaders were mentioned, it was obvious.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:22 PM

It was a good presentation. One speaker presented Adaptive reuses of similar buildings around NA, I tuned out feeling hopeful.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:43 PM

This building reminds me of the former Gimbel's store in Milwaukee, which is now a multi-use building: hotel, offices, retail.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/64...!4d-87.9106481

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:49 PM
the first stamp is free

I really hope that we (Winnipeg) don't try to overcomplicate this Bay redevelopment.

It doesn't need to save the downtown. It does not need to sit dark wait in the wings for some museum or institutional saviour.

It needs some form of government $$ to grease the wheels - but otherwise the talent and wherewithal to convert this into a mixed use (residential upper floors, commercial basement, main) exists in this City.

The exterior is untouchable - but otherwise, have at 'er.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 4:57 PM

In a perfect world, a glass tower would be added, however, I agree with Drew: keep it simple. I do want whatever interesting interior features retained like freight elevators and staircases.

I cannot recall if and/or when the exterior was cleaned. Anyone else? I am sure it would be brightened up a bit with a good cleaning?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:19 PM
the first stamp is free

I could be wrong, but there are few if any interior features that require saving in this building. If there were, they were reno'd out over the years.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 5:23 PM

Yeah, in terms of what we never saw outside of the selling areas, I have no idea. Apparently there is/was a freight elevator large enough for a vehicle?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
This building reminds me of the former Gimbel's store in Milwaukee, which is now a multi-use building: hotel, offices, retail.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/64...!4d-87.9106481
This is exactly what I believe will keep the place hopping. multi purpose..part office/ a couple of floors = Hotel/ Retail/ Unusual dining places/ moderate to upscale Food to go kiosks.. etc

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T'Cona View Post
Yeah, in terms of what we never saw outside of the selling areas, I have no idea. Apparently there is/was a freight elevator large enough for a vehicle?
That was mostly used for furniture/ appliances and one time pianos.
The interior of The Bay has little in terms of design importance whereas Eatons had much more..Lots of wainscotting, arched details & panelling on 7, marble counters & walls on 3, it had some lavish detail on 5 in The Grill Room & the adjoining private managers rooms etc....

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

It doesn't need to save the downtown.
I agree 100% Some kind of mixed use development (hotel/ residential /office/ retail) is all the building needs to remain a relevant part of the downtown. Linked to what (I hope) will be the Portage Place refurbishment (w/ residential towers), will, IMO give the downtown a solid residential base. There would still be lots of areas to fill in, but I think it would remove the image of a "blighted/deserted" downtown for many people. including future developers.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 7:00 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I really hope that we (Winnipeg) don't try to overcomplicate this Bay redevelopment.

It doesn't need to save the downtown. It does not need to sit dark wait in the wings for some museum or institutional saviour.

It needs some form of government $$ to grease the wheels - but otherwise the talent and wherewithal to convert this into a mixed use (residential upper floors, commercial basement, main) exists in this City.

The exterior is untouchable - but otherwise, have at 'er.
agreed. It will take quite a bit of government money but the right client could make that palatable....and possible.

I think the exterior can change as long as it isn't permanent alterations. There are some interior pieces that are heritage designated...the escalators for some reason, the curved mural that's been gone for years...i think the interior is fair game.

not sure adding area like a tower to a building that is already half a million square feet is feasible.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 7:04 PM

I guess if a developer or consortium has the capital to add to the building, more power to them, however, it would seem unfeasible in our eyes.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 6:54 PM

Saw this on the Canada proposals thread. Montreal has plans for their downtown Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Downtown Montreal The Bay project

25 storeys - 120 meters

Demolition of the 1970's section on De Maisonneuve, complete restoration of the historic building and construction of a new commercial spaces (first fire floors) and office building on top.
Archiect:Menkes Shooner Dagenais LeTourneux.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 10:58 PM

As I recall, they hollowed out their Eatons in the middle and made a mall. I wonder how that's doing these days.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:49 AM

The only thing protected inside is the curved elevator lobby. However I'm sure they'd bend on that one to make a redevelopment workable – the location of the elevators would likely have to move. Also, it's dumb that's even protected given the fact there's only 4 of the original 12 elevators left.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:43 PM

Damn you Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:52 PM

Montreal plan lookin good. If Winnipeg did what Montreal is planning, our Bay would look like the goofy looking Marlborough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan