HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:55 PM

I'm still really on the fence about this one. Obviously like that it will fill a gap but the red ombre towers (although unique and different) could look cheap and tacky if not executed properly or with the right materials. And I'm still not a fan of that different coloured podium.

That last render seems to show a gap between this parcel and the Library. Is that another parcel that will be up for grabs/development at some point? Or is it another empty lot or park? Having something there (with ground-level retail) would really help in bridging the gap between Lebreton & CBD. And make for a better walk and pedestrian experience along Albert St.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I'm still really on the fence about this one. Obviously like that it will fill a gap but the red ombre towers (although unique and different) could look cheap and tacky if not executed properly or with the right materials. And I'm still not a fan of that different coloured podium.

That last render seems to show a gap between this parcel and the Library. Is that another parcel that will be up for grabs/development at some point? Or is it another empty lot or park? Having something there (with ground-level retail) would really help in bridging the gap between Lebreton & CBD. And make for a better walk and pedestrian experience along Albert St.
the city owns that parcel in the gap you are talking about. Its suppose to be for a OCH project one day

Last edited by SL123; Sep 29, 2022 at 2:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:49 PM

Yeah it's an OCH project based on city plans, which I think will be fine. I do agree that if it had full ground retail and maybe even an indoor connection route with these towers and the library, that would make the Library district feel more "connected". It would be definitely be beneficial.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 4:17 PM
inner city

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I'm still really on the fence about this one. Obviously like that it will fill a gap but the red ombre towers (although unique and different) could look cheap and tacky if not executed properly or with the right materials.
Agreed. I get strong student residence vibes from the towers. Not really what we want here if they cheap out.

I do like the modern brutalist podium though.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 8:01 PM

You guys are getting student residence vibes, meanwhile I'm getting strong Rotterdam/Frankfurt vibes. This project looks very Euro and Energy Efficient to me. It's unique in Canada, and I really appreciate that.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
You guys are getting student residence vibes, meanwhile I'm getting strong Rotterdam/Frankfurt vibes. This project looks very Euro and Energy Efficient to me. It's unique in Canada, and I really appreciate that.
Same. That is exactly how I feel.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 1:25 AM
Char_Arch

I personally, would love a splash of colour in the city... PLEASE

Old Posted Oct 19, 2022, 1:21 PM

To be presented at October 27th planning committee.

https://pub-ottawa.escribemeetings.c...a&lang=English

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 3:06 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
To be presented at October 27th planning committee.

https://pub-ottawa.escribemeetings.c...a&lang=English
Fingers crossed for this one and 2026 Scott. I'd love to see a decent proposal just get green lighted and not bounce back and forth for years.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Fingers crossed for this one and 2026 Scott. I'd love to see a decent proposal just get green lighted and not bounce back and forth for years.
No doubt this one will be approved, no problem. LeBreton Flats has few people around to oppose, the proposal has a high number of affordable units and the design is far superior to what we're used to.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
No doubt this one will be approved, no problem. LeBreton Flats has few people around to oppose, the proposal has a high number of affordable units and the design is far superior to what we're used to.
In the recap from the public consults I did read about one person complaining about the height being too tall adjacent to the low density to the south. I'm not sure how they are going to feel over the next few years

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
In the recap from the public consults I did read about one person complaining about the height being too tall adjacent to the low density to the south. I'm not sure how they are going to feel over the next few years
Id strongly suggest they move to Barrhaven

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 6:26 PM

Quote:
If the lower density is to the south, why would it make any difference? It's not like they're ever going to cast shadows over those houses.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 7:43 PM

There's a clear line, that massive stroad called Albert, between LeBreton and the Dalhousie neighbourhood. I'm glad the City and NCC aren't trying to weave them together or respect "character" in this case.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Just wait until the Good Companion's Centre get's redeveloped. Imagine a 30 story hyperscraper on THEIR side of the road!!!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 2:15 PM

Updated rendering posted on Rail Fans Discord. New podium material and corner windows.

Old

New

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Just wait until the Good Companion's Centre get's redeveloped. Imagine a 30 story hyperscraper on THEIR side of the road!!!
Because God forbid someone not want to go from living next to a two storey building to living next to a thirty storey one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavour_town View Post
Because God forbid someone not want to go from living next to a two storey building to living next to a thirty storey one.
If that's the case, it would be a good time for said person to relocate outside of that area. There are endless sprawling suburbs around Ottawa where this kind of densification isn't desperately needed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
If that's the case, it would be a good time for said person to relocate outside of that area. There are endless sprawling suburbs around Ottawa where this kind of densification isn't desperately needed.
Or we could approach a moderate solution of low to mid rise at the good companions site.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 5:07 PM

I like the minor changes although I still think a dark red for the podium (matching the bottom of the towers) and alluding to Ottawa's history or red brick buildings, would've made the design more seamless.

More windows is always a good thing (the original design seemed to have little) and I'm very glad they didn't take away the sloped roofs either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa