HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
A refresher never hurts. Thanks for the digging. Any architects/developers or adjacents have an inside scoop on any movement on these lots?
I interviewed with a client who was looking at this site. I then pointed out that A) there's no services, and B) the per-acre cost is about 4x to 6x what we see elsewhere in the City. Oh and C) being tied to geothermal is required.

I don't want to discourage good work, and that property has sat vacant long enough, but the developer is out to lunch. There's a reason there's not a single murmur of this property among actual developers.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowling_ball View Post
I interviewed with a client who was looking at this site. I then pointed out that A) there's no services, and B) the per-acre cost is about 4x to 6x what we see elsewhere in the City. Oh and C) being tied to geothermal is required.

I don't want to discourage good work, and that property has sat vacant long enough, but the developer is out to lunch. There's a reason there's not a single murmur of this property among actual developers.
So what do you recommend for getting movement on the site? The utilities are coming so that'll be handled. 4-6x cost could probably be reduced but at the end of the day, wouldn't this be considered a premium development opportunity? The land isn't cheap here but isn't that mitigated by building up anyways? Third point, is geothermal an issue for builders? Im hopelessly no baby out of my field when talking about geothermal heating haha.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 7:55 PM
What could go wrong?

Sitework underway. Should be some exciting news in spring, building stuff.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 8:39 PM

^ Fabulous to hear!

There's no one silver bullet but this, Railside, and the Polo Park project all have the chance to pretty impressively remake the city. Too bad all three are so chronically delayed, but at least we are seeing some early signs of movement on two of them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
^ Fabulous to hear!

There's no one silver bullet but this, Railside, and the Polo Park project all have the chance to pretty impressively remake the city. Too bad all three are so chronically delayed, but at least we are seeing some early signs of movement on two of them.
Patience in all things!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:30 PM

Quote:
So what do you recommend for getting movement on the site? The utilities are coming so that'll be handled. 4-6x cost could probably be reduced but at the end of the day, wouldn't this be considered a premium development opportunity? The land isn't cheap here but isn't that mitigated by building up anyways? Third point, is geothermal an issue for builders? Im hopelessly no baby out of my field when talking about geothermal heating haha.
Here's the thing about developers - time is money. That cannot be repeated enough. If Plot A still needs to be serviced, and Plot B is ready to go, then most developers will go with Plot B, most of the time.

This developer has dollar signs in his eyes, without regard to our local market. The proof is in the pudding - like I said, there is no development happening here for another decade, and that's only if he figures out to lower prices. He's already missing out on developers along Pembina, which says a lot.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 1:28 AM

Biffs saying news in the spring on development. Bowling ball says nothing for a decade. What is it?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 1:50 AM

Only the shadow knows

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Biffs saying news in the spring on development. Bowling ball says nothing for a decade. What is it?
We needs Esquire's voice of reason. I'm going to lean towards Buff myself, simply because I want to manifest something haha.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 5:56 PM
What could go wrong?

There are some details, but can’t be released yet.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There are some details, but can’t be released yet.
Maybe it'll be a 5 story Dollarama, just to hit minimum height requirements.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 8:31 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowling_ball View Post

Don’t the buildings also need to be LEED Gold?

I personally can’t see how this development could attract a large number of developers to build such large scale projects in the current development conditions with all the added costs expected to be incurred. Residential development in Winnipeg is done on razor thin margins. I hope I’m wrong.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Don’t the buildings also need to be LEED Gold?

I personally can’t see how this development could attract a large number of developers to build such large scale projects in the current development conditions with all the added costs expected to be incurred. Residential development in Winnipeg is done on razor thin margins. I hope I’m wrong.
The answer is government subsidies. Lots of TIFs and probably a decent chunk of our federal housing inject.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
The answer is government subsidies. Lots of TIFs and probably a decent chunk of our federal housing inject.
And, as I understand it, on top of requiring LEED certification, no surface parking, height minimums, concrete/steel construction, etc., it's also on land that remains owned by the university on some sort of perpetual or 99 year lease arrangement.

People I've talked to all seem very confident that this will all happen; I'm pretty cynical.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
And, as I understand it, on top of requiring LEED certification, no surface parking, height minimums, concrete/steel construction, etc., it's also on land that remains owned by the university on some sort of perpetual or 99 year lease arrangement.

People I've talked to all seem very confident that this will all happen; I'm pretty cynical.
Yeah I saw something about a 99 year long land lease on the Southwood Circle website. Seems kind of weird.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 5:53 PM

The Forks is doing something similar, but those are smaller buildings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 6:15 PM
keep the good times going

From what I have read/heard about this whole project is the land ownership has some legal contention.

Im pretty sure UM couldn't directly take the lands on, and had to make the UM properties corp. manage the lands. UM owns the lands but doesn't directly control them through its administration.

I think because of this arrangement, UM needs to own the land?

I am probably not explaining this 100% correctly so if someone is more familiar please correct me!

We will see how this all plays out though. I am excited to see what manifests.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 10:26 PM

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/cana...ium%3Dsharebar

Hopefully this announced providers developers with enough incentive to get some construction started on this project.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 10:34 PM
surely you agree with me

^ yeah, student housing will likely be most viable. I have heard some developers are talking to them....and there is one cultural building that will be built there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 12:28 AM

The National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation will be constructed here.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan