HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 11:19 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Here is a map from the calgarydowntown.com web-site, as published by the Calgary Downtown Association:
http://www.calgarydowntown.com/image...204%281%29.pdf

Here is a great app to find parking in "downtown Calgary". Unfortunately there is nothing listed for the Beltline or Mission:
http://parking.downtowncalgary.com/
I don't really care about what a map considers to be downtown. When I want to go for dinner somewhere on 4th (Mission), 17th (Beltline), or 1st (Beltline), I say "let's go somewhere downtown". I feel like most people say the same, as that is how all my friends and most people I know do it. A train track separating them hardly changes the fact that it is part of the core of retail, dining, and economic activity in this city.

And by the way, the only relevant link you posted has parking listed on 10th Avenue, also known as the Beltline, and the map has on street parking data from 16th Avenue North to 26 Avenue South, and 14 Street West to 13 Street East. Sooo... there's that.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I don't really care about what a map considers to be downtown.
Actually, it is the Calgary Downtown Association, City of Calgary, etc., so the reality is, the map is fact, and none of those credible organizations considers what you think. To be clear, I was just sharing fact and correcting your error. No reason to be defensive about it. Everyone makes mistakes. Move on.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Downtown or City Centre, different boundaries, but who cares it's all becoming one big cluster.

Looking at some of the U.S. metros in particular, where it's been common to see stagnant or even negative city proper growth over the past few decades, our city proper and inner city growth stats are incredible.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:23 AM
BANNED

This grow shows why it's hard to forecast population for Calgary. Projections were done only a few years ago, yet the 2014 Calgary Economic Region # shown below is at least 100,000 people off already. July 1, 2013 CER pop was 1,470,000, it's got to be at least 1,520,000 by this July.

Historical and forecast population - Calgary Economic Region–
Year

Population
persons

Annual population growth rate
per cent
1996 906,000 2.4%
1997 936,000 3.3%
1998 970,000 3.6%
1999 995,000 2.7%
2000 1,022,000 2.8%
2001 1,048,000 2.5%
2002 1,076,000 2.7%
2003 1,096,000 1.9%
2004 1,118,000 2.0%
2005 1,142,000 2.1%
2006 1,188,000 4.0%
2007 1,230,000 3.5%
2008 1,252,000 1.8%
2009 1,296,000 3.6%
2010 1,320,500 2.2%
2011 1,365,200 2.0%
2012 1,385,800 1.5%
2013 1,403,500 1.3%
2014 1,419,800 1.2%
2015 1,435,600 1.1%
2016 1,451,500 1.1%
2017 1,468,000 1.1%
2018 1,485,000 1.2%
2019 1,502,200 1.2%
2020 1,519,400 1.1%
2021 1,536,500 1.1%
http://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopmen...ation/overview

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:30 AM

I notice CED and The City's own growth forecasting department tend to be very conservative with their estimates. Probably understandable when you think the city added only 6000 people in 2010. Whether 30,000 plus a year is the new norm, or an anomaly, is anyone's guess.

With over 40,000 now, Calgary has to be one of the more populous downtown/inner city areas amongst Canadian and US metros. I would bet top 15, if not top 10. That's pretty impressive. For comparison, the central neighborhoods of Minneapolis cover over 3 sq mi and have less than 30,000.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
I notice CED and The City's own growth forecasting department tend to be very conservative with their estimates. Probably understandable when you think the city added only 6000 people in 2010. Whether 30,000 plus a year is the new norm, or an anomaly, is anyone's guess.

With over 40,000 now, Calgary has to be one of the more populous downtown/inner city areas amongst Canadian and US metros. I would bet top 15, if not top 10. That's pretty impressive. For comparison, the central neighborhoods of Minneapolis cover over 3 sq mi and have less than 30,000.
Vancouver downtown + downtown west end is I believe over 100,000. Toronto is probably 300,000 depending what you count as downtown.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:09 AM

/\but beyond those two and some obvious big US cities like NY, Chicago, SF, Philly etc., I bet the list drops off pretty quick. I read that Philly has the 3rd most populous downtown with 57,000 people in its center city area of about 2 sq miles. That's not too far ahead of us.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 4:54 AM

There isn't one definition for downtown that's written in stone. Yes there is a neighborhood called 'Downtown commercial core' and you could consider that to be 'downtown' only but in general terms everyone else considers the Beltline to be part of downtown. There's no reason to split hairs about it, you know very well that when people go from the burbs to somewhere in the Beltline, they don't say 'I'm heading down to the Beltline', they say they are heading downtown.

Consider that other institutions like the one I work for (CIBC) split Calgary into various sectors and the Beltline is part of the 'downtown' sector. The other banks do as well and so does CMHC, and so does CREB.

You might also consider the fact that many large cities don't have a neighborhood called 'downtown', or a specified area but every large city still has a downtown.

Quote:
Impressive density, no doubt.

That being said, I've never considered Mission and the Beltline as downtown. Google maps, and a majority of the Internet, have it the same way:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dow...c42af1e7df241e
Quote:
Here is a map from the calgarydowntown.com web-site, as published by the Calgary Downtown Association:
http://www.calgarydowntown.com/image...204%281%29.pdf

Here is a great app to find parking in "downtown Calgary". Unfortunately there is nothing listed for the Beltline or Mission:
http://parking.downtowncalgary.com/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 5:38 AM
not a NIMBY

wtf!

Sean Chu tweet:
Now I knew why some ppl complain abt innerrcity subsidizing&demonizing the suburb b/c innerrcity has lowest density. pic.twitter.com/gFzdR0pVwe

population per ward by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Last edited by Jimby; Jul 23, 2014 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 12:35 PM

Oh wow. he's even dumber than he seams.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 1:27 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Actually, it is the Calgary Downtown Association, City of Calgary, etc., so the reality is, the map is fact, and none of those credible organizations considers what you think. To be clear, I was just sharing fact and correcting your error. No reason to be defensive about it. Everyone makes mistakes. Move on.
It wasn't an error. I call it what I call it, and so does everyone I know. Your bitching and nagging isn't going to change it, just like your bitching and nagging and trolling has never once changed anyones mind on this forum. Stop trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
There isn't one definition for downtown that's written in stone. Yes there is a neighborhood called 'Downtown commercial core' and you could consider that to be 'downtown' only but in general terms everyone else considers the Beltline to be part of downtown. There's no reason to split hairs about it, you know very well that when people go from the burbs to somewhere in the Beltline, they don't say 'I'm heading down to the Beltline', they say they are heading downtown.
Yeah, exactly. That's why I did 4 different calculations, including Downtown Core, Downtown Area, Central City, Inner City...

Quote:
The population of the Downtown Core (CBD, EV, WV) is now 13 000

The population of the Downtown Area (CBD, EV, WV, Beltline, Mission, Eau Claire, and Chinatown) is now over 43 000

The population of the Central City (previously mentioned + Inglewood, Sunnyside, Beltline, Bridgeland, Hillhurst, and West Hillhurst) is now 70 000

And the population of the Inner City is now over 200 000 So much good!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 2:08 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
wtf!

Sean Chu tweet:
Now I knew why some ppl complain abt innerrcity subsidizing&demonizing the suburb b/c innerrcity has lowest density. pic.twitter.com/gFzdR0pVwe

population per ward by LUMIN8, on Flickr
What is with this guy? I can't believe someone like that got voted into office. It's one thing for Rick Bell to go on a rant, but I get madder when people are just plain stupid about a particular subject. It's like reading the comments section in the Sun paper.

Last edited by UofC.engineer; Jul 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 2:49 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
What is with this guy? I can't believe someone like that got voted into office. It's one thing for Rick Bell to go on a rant, but it madder when people are just plain stupid about a particular subject. It's like reading the comments section in the Sun paper.
The Mark Twain quote that comes to mind:

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:19 PM

Inner city growth is less impressive in the context of surrounding municipalities like Airdrie accounting for ever increasing shares of regional growth. 1K new residents in the Beltline is great, but the 15K or so growth outside city limits should be cause for concern.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Census shows rush to suburbs slowing in Calgary

An average of 77 people moved to Calgary each day between April 2013 and April 2014, as the city’s population hit 1,195,194.

Photograph by: Ted Rhodes , Calgary Herald

As new census figures show Calgary’s population edging toward 1.2 million, the growth gap between actively developing neighbourhoods and redevelopment in established communities has narrowed over the past decade faster than anticipated, said Mayor Naheed Nenshi.

Nenshi said a shift in growth patterns suggest Calgarians are no longer fleeing established inner-city communities to newer fringe neighbourhoods as they were in 2005.

“(Then) well over 100 per cent of new growth happened in brand-new neighbourhoods, and most neighbourhoods lost population,” he said. “We’ve largely arrested that and started to shift it. Most existing neighbourhoods were relatively stable or grew a little bit over time.”

The mayor’s comments followed the Tuesday release of the city’s latest census count, spanning April 2013 to April 2014., Those figures show Calgary’s population climbed by 38,508 to 1,195,194 — a 3.3 per cent increase over last year.

The fastest growing neighbourhoods were in the city’s northeast and deep south, with Saddleridge taking top spot with 2,373 new residents, followed by Auburn Bay (2,242) and Cranston (1,857) in the south.

According to the census figures, 28,017 more people migrated to Calgary than left. Put another way, 77 people moved to the city each day, on average, over that 12-month span.

While the biggest population growth occurred in newer outlying communities, growth in actively-developing communities has declined to 58 per cent and increased in established neighbourhoods to 42 per cent — a trend that edges closer to the city’s goal of a 50/50 split, said Nenshi.

“We’re achieving that goal much, much faster than people thought we would,” he said.

Still, the city needs to create long-term strategies and polices geared to address the complexity of inner-city redevelopment, said Coun. Gian-Carlo Carra.

“We need the communities deeply involved,” Carra said. “We’re slowly getting there, but we’re not tackling it at the systemic level that we need to.”

The Ward 9 councillor said far more Calgarians aspire to live an “urban lifestyle,” but too many barriers — namely high cost spurred by a limited supply — still exist for many to realize that goal.

“If you look at the split of urban to suburban across the continent it’s probably 15 per cent urban (to) 85 per cent suburban,” Carra said. “I assure you there is more than 15 per cent of the population that aspires to an urban lifestyle.”

Meanwhile, the mayor highlighted the city’s tightening vacancy rate, which dipped to 2.01 per cent from last year’s 2.59 per cent.

“It’s moving in the wrong direction,” Nenshi said. “That’s a real challenge for the city as a whole. Part of it has to do with overall supply.”

To ease the crunch, the city needs to make redevelopment easier in established neighbourhoods and work with developers to create a new citywide financing framework.

Further, he was somewhat optimistic that several new purpose built rental projects are underway — a significant shift over the past 10 years.

“I’ve only been able to count three over the last decade . . . there are 12 currently on the books,” he said. “So the market is shifting, people are starting to build rentals as well . . . that will help us with the crunch.”
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...252/story.html

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:21 PM

To me, the most positive sign is that so many existing neighbourhoods managed to maintain 1-5% growth. Here's a comparison to 2012 for reference:

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Are you actually arguing this? This is completely irrelevant in everyday life.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:45 PM
ARTchitecture

If we keep growing like this, even just for the next two years, the city of Calgary will be at approx. 1 270 000 by the next federal census. That is a growth of about 170 000 and 16% since the previous federal census. That will put our CMA at around 1 450 000.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMalgus View Post
/\but beyond those two and some obvious big US cities like NY, Chicago, SF, Philly etc., I bet the list drops off pretty quick. I read that Philly has the 3rd most populous downtown with 57,000 people in its center city area of about 2 sq miles. That's not too far ahead of us.
This discussion is meaningless unless one is consistent on terms of reference. What is a CBD and what is a greater downtown?

BTw - Montreal is higher than us also (using their city's definition of Montreal):

http://www.centraide-mtl.org/en/comm.../centre-ville/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 3:54 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky View Post
To me, the most positive sign is that so many existing neighbourhoods managed to maintain 1-5% growth. Here's a comparison to 2012 for reference:
Be interesting to see a similar map with % of total growth by community. Given a 10% increase is pretty easy when you only have a few people in a community.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation