HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:59 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

So if you cherry pick weather stations in Vancouver vs uncherry picked ones in Toronto it is still 2 C cooler...Vancouver can't have it both ways.
Hilarious.

The weather station picked for Toronto is the actual weather station located in Toronto. Unfortunately, there is no weather station located in Vancouver but at the Vancouver International Airport, where temperatures are cooler than the city. Thus, to be fair, a weather station which is much more geographically representative of Vancouver was picked. A perfectly reasonable thing to do, if a fair comparison of temperatures in the respective cities is your goal.

And yes, Vancouver is 2 degrees cooler than Toronto. What about it? The point is that the summer temperature in Vancouver is not 18 degrees, as some ignoramus was claiming.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Hilarious.

The weather station picked for Toronto is the actual weather station located in Toronto. Unfortunately, there is no weather station located in Vancouver but at the Vancouver International Airport, where temperatures are cooler than the city. Thus, to be fair, a weather station which is much more geographically representative of Vancouver was picked. A perfectly reasonable thing to do, if a fair comparison of temperatures in the respective cities is your goal.

And yes, Vancouver is 2 degrees cooler than Toronto. What about it? The point is that the summer temperature in Vancouver is not 18 degrees, as some ignoramus was claiming.
Vancouver does not feel only 2 degrees cooler than Toronto in the summer though, it feels much cooler due to Toronto having much higher humidity levels. Thats why so many people in Southwestern Ontario have pools, it's extremely hot and muggy in the summer. I don't think pools are a big thing in Vancouver proper, maybe the far eastern suburbs, but not on the coast.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Vancouver does not feel only 2 degrees cooler than Toronto in the summer though, it feels much cooler due to Toronto having much higher humidity levels. Thats why so many people in Southwestern Ontario have pools, it's extremely hot and muggy in the summer. I don't think pools are a big thing in Vancouver proper, maybe the far eastern suburbs, but not on the coast.
Goode pointe. It at least feels like about 30C or more almost every single day from about mid-June to early September in southern Ontario and even into parts of southern Quebec.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:11 PM

If it means much, this is the YVR temperatures in Vancouver last July.

In general you can add 5C to these temperatures to get the inland weather. Even our local news Station Global BC reports 2 numbers, 1 for the sea level, and the other for away from the water.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
If it means much, this is the YVR temperatures in Vancouver last July.

In general you can add 5C to these temperatures to get the inland weather. Even our local news Station Global BC reports 2 numbers, 1 for the sea level, and the other for away from the water.

Last year was an exceptionally warm and gorgeous summer in Vancouver was it not?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

torontosun

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Though Vancouver is definitely less humid then Toronto, that doesn't mean it's not humid.

Back in 2012, I visited Toronto in summer when the mercury stated it was 25c. To me it felt like super heated hell thanks to the humidex and I found it extremely uncomfortable. I grew up in Kelowna and I am used to summer temperatures in the mid 30s and often reaching the 40 degree mark, or at least close to it. 36c in Kelowna felt more pleasant and comfortable then 25C in either Vancouver or Toronto. Both cities are muggy in summer though Toronto is definitely more so.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Last year was an exceptionally warm and gorgeous summer in Vancouver was it not?
Yes and no. It wasn't hotter then usual, but it was much more humid then usual.

Also when people say Vancouver was hot last summer they imply the entire lower mainland and the temperatures in say surrey or Coquitlam are always hotter then downtown.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:18 PM

Toronto is & feels much warmer/hotter than Vancouver in summertime. That's an indisputable fact provable with statistics.

Now which city has a nicer summer? That's the subjective piece, it depends on how much you like heat.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Toronto is & feels much warmer/hotter than Vancouver in summertime. That's an indisputable fact provable with statistics.

Now which city has a nicer summer? That's the subjective piece, it depends on how much you like heat.
I don't think anyone here has argued that Toronto has a colder summer by any means.

Your cooler summers are our warmer summer.

Personally I greatly distaste humidity, and this is why the Okanagan is still the best climate in Canada in summer and why I consider the beaches around Kelowna to be the best in Canada. It's a home grown bias.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 7:54 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:

Vancouver does not feel only 2 degrees cooler than Toronto in the summer though, it feels much cooler due to Toronto having much higher humidity levels.
Yes, due to higher humidity levels, Toronto often feels more than 2 degrees hotter than Vancouver. (Toronto also feels a lot stickier and damper in the summer than Vancouver.) Remember, the point here is not that Vancouver is as hot as Toronto; it is not, and no one has claimed it is. The only point that has been made is that Vancouver is an incredible summer city which has a much hotter summer than some not-well-travelled, less-experienced Canadians grasp. Vancouver is certainly one of the sunniest and driest, if not the sunniest and driest, major summer cities in Canada.

Now, you raise an interesting point regarding humidity. Despite sometimes feeling more than 2 degrees cooler on average than Toronto, Vancouver can feel much more summery in the following way. In Toronto, in order to escape, not the heat, but the high humidity, we often spend most of the day in very chilly, climate-controlled, air-conditioned environments, such as our offices, our cars, our houses, etc. A greater portion of the day goes by and we have spent it in an artificially freezing environment, hermetically-sealed off from the summer days and nights, sucking-in Freon more than fresh air.

In Vancouver, by contrast, where the heat is much drier, we don't generally rely on air conditioning. Thus, when driving, our windows are rolled down; when at home, our doors and windows are open. Even some office buildings in Vancouver have operable windows. Thus, the feel, the smell, the taste, the sounds, the heat of summer is always flowing and circulating around us (and permeating into us) practically 24 hours a day. The spirit of summer is everywhere and inescapable--and we do not wish to escape it.

For that reason (and others) I find Vancouver to be a more summery, if not 2 degrees cooler, city than Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nice temps, but for swimming, there are only 4 days in that month that I would consider swimming temperatures. Anything under 27c doesn't tempt me to dive in.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, due to higher humidity levels, Toronto often feels more than 2 degrees hotter than Vancouver. (Toronto also feels a lot stickier and damper in the summer than Vancouver.) Remember, the point here is not that Vancouver is as hot as Toronto; it is not, and no one has claimed it is. The only point that has been made is that Vancouver is an incredible summer city which has a much hotter summer than some not-well-travelled, less-experienced Canadians grasp. Vancouver is certainly one of the sunniest and driest, if not the sunniest and driest, major summer cities in Canada.

Now, you raise an interesting point regarding humidity. Despite sometimes feeling more than 2 degrees cooler on average than Toronto, Vancouver can feel much more summery in the following way. In Toronto, in order to escape, not the heat, but the high humidity, we often spend most of the day in very chilly, climate-controlled, air-conditioned environments, such as our offices, our cars, our houses, etc. A greater portion of the day goes by and we have spent it in an artificially freezing environment, hermetically-sealed off from the summer days and nights, sucking-in Freon more than fresh air.

In Vancouver, by contrast, where the heat is much drier, we don't generally rely on air conditioning. Thus, when driving, our windows are rolled down; when at home, our doors and windows are open. Even some office buildings in Vancouver have operable windows. Thus, the feel, the smell, the taste, the sounds, the heat of summer is always flowing and circulating around us (and permeating into us) practically 24 hours a day. The spirit of summer is everywhere and inescapable--and we do not wish to escape it.

For that reason (and others) I find Vancouver to be a more summery, if not 2 degrees cooler, city than Toronto.
Torontonians enjoy this season also. Its called spring. Bring on the heat for summer.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:44 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post

Torontonians enjoy this season also. Its called spring.
It's funny you should mention Toronto springs

Toronto springs are often colder than Vancouver winters. It is a rare year when it doesn't snow the first week (or even second week) of April in Toronto. By the time it starts to consistently feel like actual spring and the leaves have come out, summer is only two or three weeks away.

Toronto falls, on the other hand, are nice and prolonged.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I've lived in Ontario, BC, and NS for extended periods and for me personally BC and NS are roughly tied and ON is a distant third summer-wise. I find coastal locations way more comfortable. I don't mind visiting Toronto in the summer but I would rather not deal with high humidity/ubiquitous AC and comparatively poor air quality for long periods of time.

I also find Lake Ontario kind of lame compared to actual coastal locations like Tofino.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:09 PM

Ill take Vancouver summers any day over Toronto for the reasons listed in the above few posts. Toronto summers can be so uncomfortable.

However, I don't know why this turned into who has better summers. At the end of the day, despite its uncomfortable heat, Ontario beaches are superior. A huge part of the beach experience is being able to swim in the water, and thats what puts Ontario beaches ahead.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Personally I greatly distaste humidity, and this is why the Okanagan is still the best climate in Canada in summer and why I consider the beaches around Kelowna to be the best in Canada. It's a home grown bias.
You sure there even are any beaches in or around Kelowna? I suspect your salinity radar needs fixin'

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In defence of the water temperatures at coastal BC's beaches, someone on this thread actually referred to temperatures "closer to 20C than to 10C"!

Sure, 16C is closer to 20C than to 10C, but that doesn't mean I will be eager to swim in it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Sauga View Post
A huge part of the beach experience is being able to swim in the water, and thats what puts Ontario beaches ahead.
Nice to see some common sense again in here...

To be fair though, BC's interior probably competes (I say probably because I've never been there) or even beats Ontario on the beach front.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 9:20 PM

Quote:
It's funny you should mention Toronto springs

Toronto springs are often colder than Vancouver winters. It is a rare year when it doesn't snow the first week (or even second week) of April in Toronto. By the time it starts to consistently feel like actual spring and the leaves have come out, summer is only two or three weeks away.

Toronto falls, on the other hand, are nice and prolonged.
This is very true. Southern Ontario springs are very short, and in some years almost non-existent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada