HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Haha, metrobus must read this forum xD

Submit your idea, Jeddy
I just did

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 5:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Coming home this evening, I heard Coast report a queue near Mundy Pond on Columbus Drive South.

Someone from the station must read this forum.

An inbound/outbound direction system for Highways around St. John's would work. So traffic coming from the core of St. John's (Downtown/Quidi Vidi) would be outbound, and traffic heading into the core would be inbound.
That could work. How would we label roads that don't go into or out of the core relative to that system though? It would seem kind of clumsy if there were two systems, yet I'm not sure how something like the Team Gushue Highway would fit into it.

Another option would be to try to change the way people think of the different parts of St. John's. It's kind of radical, but imagine if city hall took the initiative to change perception to more closely match reality. North End and South end instead of East and West, respectively. The Eastside hills instead of Southside hills, etc... In a city that is growing, where fewer and fewer people (as a percentage) have had long term attachment to the names of different areas, it would probably be easier accomplished than one would think. It would cost much less than replacing all the highway signs.

It wouldn't even have to be much of a campaign either. Just use the new terminology in council minutes and public relations etc... It wouldn't take long for media to conform and the public would follow suit. Some people would always use the old/current names, mostly some people who have lived in St. John's their entire lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
None of our directions make sense.

I'm convinced that, when St. John's was settled, they decided the harbourfront downtown went West-to-East, when it's actually much closer to North-to-South.

Take this, for example. Look how rediculous it is that what we call "East" and "West" isn't actually called "North" and "South":

So, from that initial confusion comes all our problems with using the cardinal points. We don't even do it when giving directions.

I noticed when I moved to the Winnipeg, I'd ask how to get somewhere, and people would be like, "Go north on X, turn west on Y, and then south on Z and you're there."

And I'd thank them, get to the first intersection, and think, "I don't have a ****ing clue which way north is..."
We also do distance in time, Q - "How far is it to Gander?" A - "About 5 hours" usually throws tourists, especially Americans, for a loop. I've even noticed it in local speak as well, Q - "How far to Wal-Mart?" A - "About 10 minutes down the road".

All that said, it's not unique to St. John's. The TCH on the west coast clearly runs north-south, but it's still labelled as east-west, which again, confuses the hell out of anyone not familiar with the TCH.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
That could work. How would we label roads that don't go into or out of the core relative to that system though? It would seem kind of clumsy if there were two systems, yet I'm not sure how something like the Team Gushue Highway would fit into it.

Another option would be to try to change the way people think of the different parts of St. John's. It's kind of radical, but imagine if city hall took the initiative to change perception to more closely match reality. North End and South end instead of East and West, respectively. The Eastside hills instead of Southside hills, etc... In a city that is growing, where fewer and fewer people (as a percentage) have had long term attachment to the names of different areas, it would probably be easier accomplished than one would think. It would cost much less than replacing all the highway signs.

It wouldn't even have to be much of a campaign either. Just use the new terminology in council minutes and public relations etc... It wouldn't take long for media to conform and the public would follow suit. Some people would always use the old/current names, mostly some people who have lived in St. John's their entire lives.

We also do distance in time, Q - "How far is it to Gander?" A - "About 5 hours" usually throws tourists, especially Americans, for a loop. I've even noticed it in local speak as well, Q - "How far to Wal-Mart?" A - "About 10 minutes down the road".

All that said, it's not unique to St. John's. The TCH on the west coast clearly runs north-south, but it's still labelled as east-west, which again, confuses the hell out of anyone not familiar with the TCH.

That has thrown me off in the opposite sense, I've been with people from other places and the would say oh the store is just X kms from here .. and I'm like .. ughhh so how long will it take to get there? hahaha my german and swedish friends now stop themselves when talking about distances with me due to this hahah and they switch to time

It makes practical sense though, when we ask about how far away something is we really are not as interested in the milage, more in how long would it take me to get there, to put it in perspective

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 1:23 PM

Auuugh, Hockey hangover and my team lost, boo.

Anyway, I guess this would go in the transportation thread. I was wondering about the sidewalk snow-clearing program, especially after the recent snow storms.

How has the new equipment performed so far, has it made a noticeable difference?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2013, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUrbanLife View Post
Auuugh, Hockey hangover and my team lost, boo.

Anyway, I guess this would go in the transportation thread. I was wondering about the sidewalk snow-clearing program, especially after the recent snow storms.

How has the new equipment performed so far, has it made a noticeable difference?
In my opinion, from what I've noticed, it seems to be getting better. There is definitely more equipment out doing the sidewalks, but people still seem to be complaining that is too little and sometimes, too late. Problem is, the sidewalks get cleared, and then a day or two later, we get 5-10 cm more of snow. Also, I've noticed a lot of businesses that will get their parking lots cleared, and the snow will be put in the cleared sidewalk! They seem to focus on the routes that are most frequently walked and on the busiest streets, which makes sense, but can be frustrating if you are walking on other streets.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2013, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Gushue | How do we get Metrobus on the right road?

In the last few years, I have spent more cumulative time on the New York City public transportation system than I have on Metrobus.

I should note I don't visit New York often, and I live in the heart of St. John's. In fact, there's a stop that connects several routes within a 10-minute walk of my front door. While I'm planning a Manhattan trip again now, I have no idea when I'll next get on a Metrobus.

Let me be clear: I have no prejudice against Metrobus. In fact, I used to rely on the service pretty much every day during one recent stint of my working life, and looked forward to the ride as a way of catching up on my reading.

For the last while, though, a Metrobus is something I see from my office, pass in my car, or wonder about when I think about how the Northeast Avalon has been evolving into a large, suburban area that bears continually less resemblance to what I knew as a kid.

It's the urban planning issue — the knowledge that we continue to build more roadways to carry people further and further distances — that has been getting under my skin a bit.

Missing the boat on buses
To my mind, we've all been missing the point about Metrobus, which continues to have an image with many people that is undeniably negative. (More on that in a moment.) Metrobus, to my mind, ought to be the potential solution to problems we're not asking ourselves often enough, the glue to ever-increasing pieces of wood scattered in our midst, and the planning element that always seems to be the afterthought.

Let me explain that. Our development pattern has been something like this: The city — or, less often, a neighbouring municipality — approves a subdivision or shopping area, and it gradually gets built. The bus line goes into a place like the Stavanger Drive area, for instance, well after it has been established. There are other places where Metrobus is not yet on the ground.

Our planning model should have public transit as a primary focus. I suspect that the reputation problems that have been dogging Metrobus for decades — I'm not exaggerating, because I wrote about such problems in the 1980s — would have been eased if not solved — if our planning priorities were different.

Bus services seeks public feedback

And, my, does Metrobus have some image issues. The City of St. John's pretty well acknowledges it has some heavy lifting to do, because ridership remains far lower than it should be.

Metrobus is now collecting opinions from riders and non-riders alike through what it calls its Idea Centre, an online portal that aims to get some discussion and then some change happening.

Coun. Tom Hann, who sits on the Metrobus board, said the goal is to find "ideas and suggestions and any other thing that they want to leave in terms of how Metrobus operates, and how they would like to see it operate in the future."

To get a sense what people think, I've been making a point of asking people over the last few weeks of what they think. This runs from chatting up coworkers and friends to soliciting opinions from the Twitter community.

To no surprise at all, I got some negative feedback. The complaints ranged from the age of the fleet, to the long waits at bus stands, to even the smells that patrons encounter.

'Service is barely adequate'

Wrote a Twitter user named @pennywiselyric, "It is inconvenient, unreliable, late, dirty, expensive and inconsiderate. The drivers are often rude and mean."

A Metrobus stop on Water Street in downtown St. John's. (John Gushue/CBC)
"Metrobus service is barely adequate. Biggest and best change that needs to be made is extension of service hours," tweeted James Moriarty. "Even just having one bus doing a broad run between midnight and 6 am would make a HUGE difference for shift workers."

I have to agree with this point. I noted at the beginning that I don't often use the bus for work, and the largest reason is that I need to be at my desk before 6 a.m. By that point in the morning, the wheels haven't hit the road.

A common refrain is the disconnect between what people need and what's offered, from schedules to routes.

"Metrobus is not convenient for most people," wrote Lori Hogan, who added a point that is at the very crux of the Metrobus problem. "But more riders needed to make it worthwhile to increase frequency, routes."

Creative suggestions

Some suggestions were creative, and required a rethink about how public transit fits in with a diverse user base. A cyclist wondered why Metrobus could not mimic other systems and outfit its buses with the ability to carry bikes while cyclists caught a ride. Another respondent suggested that Metrobus appeal to young parents by welcoming strollers.

Tania Actil wondered why more is not being done to turn people into Metrobus customers. "I haven't seen any publicity promoting why public transportation is [important]," she wrote.

Good point, although I will note that Metrobus has at least been stepping things up on the promotional front. (Offering Air Miles may not seem like the most obvious way to drive up ridership, but I know it has indeed lured at least a few non-riders into the mix.

But Metrobus — and city council, to be frank — will need to overhaul its strategy. Listening to the public is a good start, but the next plan will need to be comprehensive enough to overcome two significant problems involving the public mood.

The first relates to the negative impressions that many people have. Nothing kills like poor word of mouth.

The second relates to a more insidious problem: apathy. The majority of people in the city don't use the service, and I would go further to suggest they don't care about it, either. [Even worse, a good many seem to dismiss the people who rely on it.]

The City of St. John's has committed to spend $11.1 million on Metrobus in the coming year, and that doesn't include what it has already spent (with help from the federal government) on its new, long-overdue depot in the Kelsey Drive area. The depot's opening is a milestone in the history of public transit in the area, but no one should think it alone will make the service dramatically better.

Status quo is bloody expensive, too

Pretty much every substantial improvement that Metrobus needs — from earlier starts, later finishes, improved frequency and new buses — will mean cash. I have not seen much evidence that council is poised to approve that kind of overhaul.

Even though it's an election year, I would be really surprised to hear a lot of candidates speak out in favour of spending millions on upgrading Metrobus, especially given that there's a credible argument that the new or longer routes would not be well used.

But here's the rub: we're already spending millions because of poor planning on transit. Each year, local governments and the province spend millions on roads and highways in the region, either to put down new subdivision payment or to improve the pothole-riddled roads we all complain about every day.

Think about it this way. That ever-growing, ever-sagging network of roads that links the sprawl that is now the Northeast Avalon is the culmination of years of bad decisions, of not putting public transit at the heart of our planning. Politicians don't like potholes, but they love fixing them, and telling you about it.

It does, though, also come down the consumer, not just the politician. If the public doesn't value public transit itself - and I think the problems of convenience, etc., are also ones of perception - the service will never improve.

Metrobus doesn't offer me anything for the early morning, but it does have a route I can use at the end of my shift. One of my resolutions for the rest of the year is to make greater use of that option for getting home.

I wonder what would happen if more of us thought that way.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...robus-204.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 1:53 PM

Construction of new Oceanex cargo ship sailing along

This is pretty cool!

edit: Just did a search after I posted this and realized a similar post was made back in october. Either way, I guess this is some news on it's progress.

Quote:
Construction of what will be the largest roll-on, roll-off vessel in Canada, the new Oceanex Connaigra, is set to begin at a dockyard in Germany.

Oceanex executive chairman Captain Sid Hynes said next week he will be making the trip to the shipyard of Flensburger Schiffbau-Gesellschaft mbH & Co. KG (FSG) to see about any last-minute preparations for the Feb. 11 start.

As The Telegram reported in October 2012, the cargo ship is expected to cost $108 million to build. It has been on FSG’s order book since at least March 2012, with advanced engineering, design and construction prep work ongoing since.

“We developed a high degree of comfort with these people very early in the game, that we felt they knew what we were talking about and they could address our needs,” Hynes said.

“They’ve built 40 per cent of all similar-type ships in the world.”

Similar-type ships are Ro-Cons, also known as Con-Ros — a hybrid of container ships and roll-on, roll-off vehicle carriers.

Assembly of the Oceanex Connaigre in the FSG yard is expected to run 130 days.

By May 31, the new ship is expected to be in the water and the outfitting of the ship will then begin.

Sea trials are set to begin Sept. 12, with delivery in October.

“It doesn’t exist in the world, anything like this. It’s a very unique vessel,” Hynes said Wednesday.

The ship will have 8,000 horsepower side thrusters, fin stabilizers and, in a world first, a filtration system will remove all sulphur content from the ship’s heavy fuel emissions.

“It uses lime (for filtration) and it’s amazing actually that the lime, when you’re finished with it, you can use it for fertilizer, to make gypsum board, it’s totally benign,” he said.

It will join the MV Cabot, Oceanex Sanderling and Oceanex Avalon, becoming the private company’s new flagship and it will be used to provide year-round service between the island and ports in Halifax and Montreal.

“It’s part of our fleet renewal strategy ... plus it’s a way of adding additional capacity,” Hynes said.

He added there is not currently urgent need for additional capacity, but the new ship is being built to meet needs identified in a 30-year outlook for the company

http://www.nl.dailybusinessbuzz.ca/P...ailing-along/1

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 9:38 AM

Wow this speaks volumes! St.john's airport is now the tenth busiest in the country and is growing at a phenomenal rate. 6 percent year over year growth rate for an airport is awesome.

Here's the article from The Telegram: http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...r-cent-in-2012

Quote:
Passenger traffic through St. John’s International Airport reached nearly 1.5 million people in 2012, a six per cent increase over 2011.

The airport authority released the figures Wednesday in a news release that noted the St. John’s airport, with about 1,450,000 passengers last year, is now the 10th-busiest airport in the country.

Keith Collins, president and CEO of the airport authority, called 2012, the busiest year on record, “another solid year.”

“It just keeps on growing,” he said.

“This kind of growth at the airport here in St. John’s really speaks to the strength of this region’s economy, because it’s a very strong link between how an economy’s doing and the demand for air travel. So when the economy’s doing well, the demand for air travel is up, and I think it works the other way as well, that if demand for air travel is up, it benefits the economy.”

About 85 airport maintenance workers have been on strike since Sept. 11, which may have slowed growth, acknowledged Collins, with labour-sympathetic convention organizers cancelling conferences and travellers bypassing the

St. John’s airport in favour of Gander.

But he said any effect caused by the strike has been minimal.

“The fourth quarter was up almost four per cent over the fourth quarter of 2011,” he said.

“We processed 330,000 passengers in the fourth quarter, so there was strong growth there. … I wouldn’t say there was no effect, but the effect of those sorts of decisions has been fairly modest when you’re looking at four per cent growth in the fourth quarter.”

Chris Bussey, a negotiator for the union that represents the striking workers, said it was “perplexing” that the airport saw a record number of passengers last year but is putting “money and time and effort into fighting the employees” on strike, rather than reaching a new agreement.

“We know the airport is doing really well. The province is doing well,” he said. “We don’t think it’s in spite of the employees that the airport is doing well; we think we contribute to that as well, and we want to see some gains and be respected for the work we do as well.”

Collins said the airport is projecting growth of about 2 1/2 to three per cent in 2013.

“The airlines are continuing to make new investments,” said Collins, pointing out Air Canada’s regular flight to London’s Heathrow Airport will begin in April this year rather than its usual May start.

WestJet expanded its regular Orlando service from 12 weeks to 28 weeks, and Sun Charters is bumping up its number of seats to Florida and the Caribbean this year by 54 per cent.

“The airlines see St. John’s as a good market. They keep on investing in terms of additional flights, additional capacity, larger aircraft, extended seasons and so on,” Collins said.

Last edited by AnUrbanLife; Feb 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Because Jeddy said so. :)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 11:46 AM

don't forget to put the link to the article when you post an article, also it helps if you put it in a quote box (the icon of the speech balloon)

This is great new! for sure! like I said we are growing quickly! just wait until the airport is upgraded!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 10:31 AM

I found another little tid bit to go along with my previous post about the airport. This was included in the airports own press release but wasn't printed in the telegram.

Here's the link: http://www.stjohnsairport.com/press/...tail.cfm?id=51

Here's the extra bit of info:

Quote:
2013 is shaping up to be another strong year for air travel.A number of the multi-billion dollar capital projects planned for the province are starting to ramp up construction this year and these will increase travel to and from destinations around the world, especially those involved in the energy sector.These labour intensive projects are also anticipated to increase traffic from within the Atlantic Canadian region and other parts of Canada.

The increased capacity that the airlines have planned for St. John’s International Airport this year will support this increased demand.For example, Air Canada’s direct flight to London Heathrow will commence on April 25th, three weeks earlier this year compared to 2012.United Airlines’ direct daily service to Newark, NJ will upgauge its aircraft to a 124 passenger Boeing 737 jet service six weeks earlier than last year, starting on April 28th. Westjet Airlines commenced its weekly direct service to Orlando in November 2012, extending the service from a twelve (12) week to a twenty eight (28) week season and also offered sun charters to the Caribbean for the first time this year from our airport.The additional flights and greater variety of destinations offered by Sunwing Airlines and Air Transat this year has also increased the total number of available seats to these southern destinations by 54% compared to 2012.

“As the premier gateway to and from the province, our airport serves as an important asset in enabling the economic growth of our region.Our role is to work with our airline partners and our stakeholders to ensure that the travelling needs of our region are being met.We will continue to do this and where a business case exists, we will aggressively pursue new routes and new airlines to expand service at our airport,” added Collins.

There are 80 flights each day to and from St. John’s International Airport to twelve (12) destinations that are presently being operated by seven airlines (Air Canada, Westjet, Porter, United, Provincial Airlines, Air Saint Pierre, EVAS Air).In addition, Sunwing and Air Transat provide service on a seasonal basis to sun destinations, including Jamaica, Mexico, Orlando, Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 12:13 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Kenmount road needs some serious improvements. I'm all for that area becoming busier and developments taking place there, but something needs to be done to account for increased traffic. The road already gets blocked up, and trying to pull out of many businesses there can be a complete nightmare.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 12:45 PM

I agree, kenmount road been bad for the past 10 years really. There was a discussion on this issue awhile ago. I mainly liked the idea of placing a road right behind VOCM. I'm thinking that the city hoping that once the new highway finished it will reduce the traffic flow.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It should. My parents are hoping it decreases traffic on Mount Carson as well. Right now that's bumper-to-bumper a lot of the time with traffic trying to get from Topsail to Kenmount and it's really annoying for anyone who lives in any of the residential streets and crescents that branch off of it.

When I go to visit them, sometimes this 1.9 km takes 20 minutes:

It's especially bad if you're heading into Mount Pearl because that set of traffic lights seems to greatly underestimate the amount of traffic on Mount Carson. Sometimes its backed up all the way up the hill. They recently split the road into three lanes to create the longest left-turning lane in the world, it seems, so that those turning left onto Topsail Road aren't stuck in the line waiting to get down into Mount Pearl. But that only helps if you're turning left - and most drivers aren't.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Feb 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:27 PM

Continuing to build roads to try and get traffic off other roads doesn't sound that great of an idea.

Kenmount should have no left turns, which would be annoying.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Continuing to build roads to try and get traffic off other roads doesn't sound that great of an idea.

Kenmount should have no left turns, which would be annoying.
Can you please elaborate on your first point?

I think it depends on the purpose of the new road. If it will be solely as a collector road for commercial and business traffic then it could work. If it's just another road whereby all traffic can use - then yes, it'll probably be another congested roadway.

I'm not sure but this post will probably need to be moved to the transportation thread. I'll let the mods decide that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

It should. My parents are hoping it decreases traffic on Mount Carson as well. Right now that's bumper-to-bumper a lot of the time with traffic trying to get from Topsail to Kenmount and it's really annoying for anyone who lives in any of the residential streets and crescents that branch off of it.

When I go to visit them, sometimes this 1.9 km takes 20 minutes:

It's especially bad if you're heading into Mount Pearl because that set of traffic lights seems to greatly underestimate the amount of traffic on Mount Carson. Sometimes its backed up all the way up the hill. They recently split the road into three lanes to create the longest left-turning lane in the world, it seems, so that those turning left onto Topsail Road aren't stuck in the line waiting to get down into Mount Pearl. But that only helps if you're turning left - and most drivers aren't.
UGH oh how I do not miss taking that route during rush hour.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:28 PM

I doubt Mount Carson was ever made with the idea that it'd have THAT much traffic. There was one evening where it took me a little over an hour to make it from the corner of Kenmount/Mt. Carson to turning off of Commonwealth to where I was going. No accident, no bad weather, just traffic.

I'm also down with no left turns on Kenmount. Less accidents, better traffic flow. We could also consider closing some of the extra entrances/exits to stores. Does Chapters/Starbucks really need 2 entrances 20 feet away from one another? Definitely not.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:33 PM

If we get rid of left turns on Kenmount, we need to install medians and allow U-Turns at all lights. I don't know why we don't allow U-turns in left turn lanes here. Everybody does U-turns in the states and It seems to work great!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
If we get rid of left turns on Kenmount, we need to install medians and allow U-Turns at all lights. I don't know why we don't allow U-turns in left turn lanes here. Everybody does U-turns in the states and It seems to work great!
This is what should happen. However, u-turns are legal here, just not commonly used. The olny place they are illegal is when a "no u turns" sign is posted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's