HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 9:27 AM

Should probably change the thread to Under Construction.

They started digging the hole a few days ago.

Full Size (50+megapixel)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 11:33 AM

Threads are updated to U/C once there is concrete being poured and/or a crane is up. Digging is not construction, as we all saw during the 5 years it took to dig out the pit for the Trump Ritz-Carlton Turn Ericson building.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 2:37 PM

Wow that's good to see them start construction I was assuming that this would take years to start lol

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
Threads are updated to U/C once there is concrete being poured and/or a crane is up. Digging is not construction, as we all saw during the 5 years it took to dig out the pit for the Trump Ritz-Carlton Turn Ericson building.
Good to know.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybuilding View Post
The dumb thing is they didn't connect it to the trail on the south side of 96 ave and put a crosswalk there.
They built a trail on the south side to the road but still no crosswalk or pedestrian signals.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2013, 10:35 PM

Anyway, the final product looks pretty snazzy in the renders. Has sort of a elegant (and unusual) look to it. It might even help Surrey get a bit of "big city sleekness" and not fall into the rawness of, for example, current Metrotown.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
It might even help Surrey get a bit of "big city sleekness" and not fall into the rawness of, for example, current Metrotown.
Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say the "rawness" of current Metrotown?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks23 View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say the "rawness" of current Metrotown?
OK, it is largely due to current construction, but also to the hodge-podge, "ghetto-ish" (and those are someone else's words, not mine) feeling and look to it. There is little continuity or cohesion in the whole town centre, and for example, that strip of Kingsway going through Metrotown is still tacky looking. Hope that explains it a bit.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 4:07 AM
Vancouver Moderator

As someone that lives in Metrotown, I agree to a point.
I love living there, and I can walk everywhere and buything near by, and of course, the skytrain is right there.
However, there is certainly a hodgepodge of building forms and eras. While some blocks are what I would consider fantastic.. others I hate.
I love Crystal Mall, I love the Library and park south of it. I can't wait to see the new Station Square and Skytrain Station, and the myriad of towers go up.
However those tiny 50s buildings across from Metropolis on Kingsway, and the little group at MacKay (the unfinished 1/4 of the crystal mall block) really need to be bulldozed. The parking lots of Metropolis on Kingsway need to be developed, as does the Old Orchard Mall, but in my view, the longer those wait, the higher quality (and higher buildings) we will get.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
However those tiny 50s buildings across from Metropolis on Kingsway, and the little group at MacKay (the unfinished 1/4 of the crystal mall block) really need to be bulldozed. The parking lots of Metropolis on Kingsway need to be developed, as does the Old Orchard Mall, but in my view, the longer those wait, the higher quality (and higher buildings) we will get.
I wonder if the concrete on the outside of those older towers is considered structural or not... because if not, it opens up the possibility for some interesting recladding scenarios later on if the structural quality of the buildings isn't too bad.

In any case, most likely we'll be seeing more newbuilds of towers (and maybe midrises) on these older sites and I don't mind that either.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 7:04 PM

So after my first picture they kind of puttered for a few weeks digging little holes then leaving them for several days then digging another small hole.

Past 1 week though it looks like they've ramped up. Steady stream of dump trucks and 2 excavators going at it. Took the following picture as of this morning, still a lot to do but nice to see them at least progressing. Obviously need to wait until they dig the full hole then start pouring concrete but I'm happy to see a larger project in Surrey actually progressing further than from 1 corner to the other corner of a planner's desk.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 9:04 PM

Great to see this project start!

The SkyTrain station looks so outdated in that picture.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 9:13 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Really too bad we are not getting a Plaza 88 style development around the station instead of the disjointed development on either side, leaving the station looking old and solitary.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:21 AM

Looks like digging has started

[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Looks like digging has started
There's our understatement for the day.

I'm happy to see this project progress. While the full build-out will likely take a decade, the Coast Capital HQ will make a significant difference to the immediate area of King George station and, hopefully, help trigger redevelopment further north along King George.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Should probably change the thread to Under Construction.
I agree!

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 5:06 AM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sryboy View Post
I agree!
Why? Nothing is being constructed yet, unless it makes sense to say they are building a hole.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 6:52 AM

Quote:
I'll just repost this.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Why? Nothing is being constructed yet, unless it makes sense to say they are building a hole.
Excavation is part of the construction process. Excavation = Earthwork Construction.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thats the end of their downtown though isn't it? i think they look fine a nice build up to the tallers that will go to the north
Found your post in retro-research, and I agree totally. It gives a "definition" to downtown," and as you say, leads up nicely to the taller towers. Also, that curved building on the angled coner has an almost "European" (dare I say that?) symmetry and elegance to it, the way it fits that intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley