HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
- More people living in this building will result in more traffic. It is a site that is not properly served by public transit and is in an area that is noticeably hostile to pedestrians and cyclists, unless one day the Province is willing to demolish the Queensway and rethink this area. It's not near any jobs as it's in the middle of a low-rise residential neighbourhood 1km from the downtown offices.
Thanks for the comments. I generally agree with your points and conclusion, and definitely agree that it is poorly served by transit. For walking and cycling, it is really not as bad as you are suggesting. There are bike lanes on Bay and Lyon, and Arlington is a relatively good biking street. Also, when Catherine and Chamberlain are reconstructed, the plan is for a lane that goes the length of Chamberlain (though I recognize that getting there may still be an issue).

As for walkability, the west side of Centretown is very walkable. This is a block from Bank St. and a 15 minute walk from downtown offices. Intensification is certainly justified. Like you, I struggle to see why we would put a 35 or 40 storey tower in this location.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanarchit View Post
For Reference, here are the massing models for the original propose for the bus terminal. Source with more images and information: Reinventing Ottawa. They show these slim towers as 23 floors. I think something like this is appropriate for the site.

I'll come up with a mock-up model tonight.
That was my old blog from when I first moved to Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 4:51 AM

Happy to see this land being used for residential development. As for a future greyhound bus station, I think it makes sense to create that at the VIA train station.
  • It is off the 416 highway;
  • Connected to VIA and the O-Train;
  • Accessible to taxis and people to pick up people from;
  • and if you take an international flight from Dorval, you can catch a bus from the VIA station to Dorval.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2021, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
That was my old blog from when I first moved to Ottawa
Good post!

The more I look at the 2011 concept, the more I like it. I would still favour a little more density (up to 6 floors for the Catherine podiums and up to 35 for the towers), but otherwise I would like to maintain that original proposal, including the mid-block walkthroughs (one or both could be enclosed within podium).

Here's Kevin's post from 2011. Some good details on the old proposal. Plenty more renderings on the website: http://reinventingottawa.blogspot.co...s-station.html

Quote:
Renderings for redeveloped bus station lands

RO, Kevine Bourne
MONDAY, MARCH 21, 2011

For those not familiar with this story, almost two weeks ago Vancouver real estate developer and owner of the Ottawa Bus Station, Stewart Robinson, applied for rezoning of the Catherine Street bus terminal in case Greyhound decided to relocate. According to the rezoning application, "Greyhound has recently given notice that they do not intend to stay on as a tenant."

Apparently relations between the owner and Greyhound have improved since Corporate Customer Service Limited has become the new operator of the station, and VIA Rail has stated that they are not in discussion with any bus operator at this time.

If Greyhound and VIA move forward with a rumoured bus station on the train station land, 265 Catherine Street would become an urban village. Designed by local architect, Ritchard Brisbin, the mixed-use development would include 458 housing units including condomiuniums and townhouses. The main features will include two condo towers, a 23 storey tower on a two storey podium and a 19 storey tower on a six storey podium, two floors of underground parking, and a pedestrian walkway in between the two blocks. Office and retail space will be 8, 334 square metres with 5, 080 square metres of that being retail space. According to the Ottawa Citizen, on each corner, I imagine along Catherine Street at Kent and Lyon, "there would be a 10,000-to-20,000 square foot 'destination' store such as a grocery or home interiors store, as well as smaller shops along Catherine Street."

Is it wrong to secretly hope that negotiations break down? Not only would we get a full commuter and local transportation hub at the VIA Rail station, but we would get this amazing village in a part of the city that can use some new development.

We won't know whether this development will go forward until a deal is reached, or not reached, with Greyhound and the zoning amendments are approved, but in the mean time we can enjoy the beautiful renderings which are already creating a buzz on online forums. Enjoy!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 12:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

'Everything is on the table' for former Greyhound station, says developer
With sale finalized, Brigil begins process to develop former bus station land

Stu Mills · CBC News
Posted: Mar 03, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

The real estate development company that now owns Ottawa's former Greyhound bus terminal land says it's committed to consulting the community before developing the land.

"Everything is on the table," said Jessy Desjardins, Brigil's vice-president of development and design, adding that the company is still working on how it will receive feedback from stakeholders. The sale of the land was finalized Monday.

Last month, Brigil said the one-hectare Ottawa Central Station site on Catherine Street is "a prime location for a prestigious project promoting urban densification." Greyhound bus services remain suspended across Canada and the transportation company has not announced a new terminal location in Ottawa.

Plans were said to be underway to build a multi-use space featuring apartments, luxury rental condos, office space, hotel buildings, restaurants and retail stores.

This week, Brigil fine-tuned that vision. Desjardins, son of founder Gilles Desjardins, says the company is looking to Copenhagen for inspiration.

Desjardins said the company will invite designs from architectural firms in Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto. The best concepts will be presented to stakeholder groups including politicians, merchants and citizens.

At the centre of Brigil's vision is the concept of "the 15-minute walkable neighbourhood," where cars would be unnecessary.

To that end, lower levels of a building that might be as tall as 27 storeys would be clad in brick at street level, and house a mixture of office and retail space. Upper stories would blend townhouse style condominiums along with rental accommodations, including some priced affordably, said Desjardins.

"We're not a big fan of just creating affordable housing on its own. We like to see it as a mixture in the building."

It was the COVID-19 pandemic that killed the business model of Greyhound, the iconic bus company that offered affordable, long-distance travel and operated on the land since 1994. Desjardins says his company believes the migration of people and businesses out of the inner core is temporary and that Brigil's acquisition of the bus station lands is not a gamble.

"Urban cores are the centre of everything," said Desjardins. "Once everything resumes, people are going to want to see each other, see shows, music festivals."

Desjardins said the first phase of construction would likely not start until 2023.

"It's been a long time coming," said Ray Sullivan, executive director of Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation which owns and operates over 50 properties in the city.

"I'm all in favour of intensification, especially close to transit and road corridors, as that site is."

Sullivan said there was a long history of groups like his calling for more affordable housing in Centretown and that the city should act on its commitment to affordable housing now.

"When the city increases the zoning on a site like that, up to 27 storeys, they're literally creating value, they're creating wealth, out of thin air for that owner," he said. "What are we going to get as a neighborhood in return for that value the city created?"

Mindy Sichel, president of the Centretown Community Association, said news that the bus station was gone forever had initially saddened her.

"I think it's a big loss for the downtown area," she said.

She hopes a design competition would lead to a building that's "more interesting and not boring" compared to others recently constructed in Centretown.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...able-1.5933973

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
'Everything is on the table' for former Greyhound station, says developer
With sale finalized, Brigil begins process to develop former bus station land

Stu Mills · CBC News
Posted: Mar 03, 2021 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 4 hours ago

Mindy Sichel, president of the Centretown Community Association, said news that the bus station was gone forever had initially saddened her.

"I think it's a big loss for the downtown area," she said.

She hopes a design competition would lead to a building that's "more interesting and not boring" compared to others recently constructed in Centretown.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...able-1.5933973
I know NIMBYism is really bad in this city, but it seems so is holding onto the past... I mean, how is losing an old, decrepit eyesore a big loss? Come on!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I know NIMBYism is really bad in this city, but it seems so is holding onto the past... I mean, how is losing an old, decrepit eyesore a big loss? Come on!
She might be referring to the bus station aspect, not the building itself.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:10 PM
ハルウララ

Has anything been proposed for a new bus terminal in another location?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Has anything been proposed for a new bus terminal in another location?
Not yet and I don't expect anything before a couple of years but I'd really like something near the VIA station so we can have a massive transit hub with the LRT!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 5:01 PM

VIA would be my first choice as well. Hurdman would come in second to better utilize that massive bus loop.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 5:40 PM
Closed account

The station is officially boarded up.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCity613 View Post
The station is officially boarded up.
Yeah, it's going to be good and ugly for a while.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 9:52 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa graffiti artists have been clamouring for new venues to showcase their work. This would be an ideal (albeit temporary) location!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...lism-1.6070070

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 5:16 PM
National Capital Region

http://www.juteaujohnsoncomba.com/ne...arch-Sales.pdf

265 Catherine Street was purchased by
12712610 Canada Inc. (Brigil
Construction) from Crerar Silverside
Corp. for $24,000,000 or $216 per
square foot. It is zoned General MixedUse. This property was listed for sale by
Cushman-Wakefield Ottawa.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:16 PM

Sign is up for DEMOLITION PLUS.

The same company did the nearby demolitions of the NRCAN Booth St complex, and A1 Mini Storage, also on Catherine St.

Last edited by unfinite; Aug 11, 2022 at 12:38 PM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2022, 12:28 PM

Looking forward to Brigil's proposal. I wonder if they will wait until after the election to gauge the new Council.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 7:10 PM

Central Station is no more. There is a video on Brigil's Facebook page.

Monday:

Today:

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 7:35 PM

Good riddance to that piss stinking shithole

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 8:40 PM

Is nothing sacred and protected in this city anymore?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 6:19 PM

They should put a megatall 60 floor tower here just to get everyone up in arms.

And have it get approved because why not. Create a mega complex on the ground floor and then advertise the best views of Parliament.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa