HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
The first 5 photos I was like "hmm, actually that looks pretty decent for small town America."

....Then I got to the Obama photo...

So glad I live in a civilized city, and a civilized
Same here. I thought it looked like a real interesting place, until I saw Obama hatred stuff.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 2:05 PM

I agree. That stuff is vile and makes my skin crawl. And there is far too much of it in Branson. But, tasteless t-shirt shops are in every downmarket tourist trap.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:27 AM

Alright so quick report from the field. I'm in Branson MO right this second... I can't believe this exists. This is literally the portal to hell. I'll have photos up when I get to California.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 7:16 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
And people thought I was exaggerating...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 2:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soku39 View Post
Alright so quick report from the field. I'm in Branson MO right this second... I can't believe this exists. This is literally the portal to hell. I'll have photos up when I get to California.
Oh dear God. Shoulda spent some more time in St. Louis or Kansas City!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 3:45 PM

Y'know we had an awesome dinner in St. Louis at this place named Yummies, it was great. It was in this neighborhood that reminded me so much of Baltimore that if I teleported there I wouldn't have known the difference.

As for Branson, I just... I don't know I had to see it with my own eyes. If anything anyones photos will be underwhelming as to what this is, bucause there is just so god damn much of it. Like we were outside of Springfield, and I was having 2nd thoughts about coming simply because of the billboards... I'll put it this way, I'm a black male and my friend that is traveling with me is a white female. I didn't feel like pushing our luck. I felt as if every hotel would be "full" when we got here... This place is simply insane.

As far as exageration is concerned it would probably take about 80 photos of this place tonget it right... There's jist that much of the same thing here.

I think we're gonna go have breakfast at the flagship Brass Pro Shops in Springfield, MO... In other words I uh love Missourah.

Last edited by Soku39; Feb 24, 2011 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Y'know we had an awesome dinner in St. Louis at this place named Yummies, it was great. It was in this neighborhood that reminded me so much of Baltimore that if I teleported there I wouldn't have known the difference.
I believe that was Fox Park, great neighborhood - I'm glad you stopped in River City.

Quote:

As for Branson, I just... I don't know I had to see it with my own eyes. \
I understand, everyone likes a trainwreck I suppose. I've been exactly twice -1990, wherein I was presented with Super Mario Bros 3 and funnel cake for my birthday, great memory, small child.

2010 - I had a free hotel room there, and well, just did it. Never again will I take a free hotel room in Branson.

I wish you had been able to see more of Missouri, instead of... Missourah, but Missourah is a part of the middle of the country, and I can appreciate you wanting to take an honest look at it, for better or worse. Anyway...safe travels following the old Rt. 66 (I-44, I-40)...I love that drive, the epic change of the climate and geography. I would think you should have no problem making it to Amarillo from Springfield today in a laid back fashion.

Last edited by Centropolis; Feb 24, 2011 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:46 AM

Since no one else hassaid it, I will:
ZOMG HOW DARE U ITZ ACTUALLY A REALLY NICE URBAN CITY AND UR ELITIST/SNOBBY/IGNORANT FOR THINKING THIS WAY

Actually, the alternative for Branson would be a dying midwestern city offering few jobs and sending its kids off to the big city to find work.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
Since no one else hassaid it, I will:
ZOMG HOW DARE U ITZ ACTUALLY A REALLY NICE URBAN CITY AND UR ELITIST/SNOBBY/IGNORANT FOR THINKING THIS WAY

Actually, the alternative for Branson would be a dying midwestern city offering few jobs and sending its kids off to the big city to find work.
did you read the whole thread? or am i crazy.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 11:03 AM

So, is THIS the "real" America that Palin speaks of...?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 2:52 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
So, is THIS the "real" America that Palin speaks of...?
Unfortunately, it's very real.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 7:36 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
At one point, Springfield (MO) made a good run against Nashville w/ its country music scene by embracing the at the time new medium of television. There became quite a rift between those loyal to Nashville and those who were in the Springfield sphere or both, kind of fulfilling the role Austin would in a way later expand on. One of the the first (ive also heard the first) live weekly nationwide TV shows was from Springfield beamed via Chicago - some string pickin' show. Anyway, long story short, I think Branson more or less dropped out of the dead corpse of that once legitimate Springfield scene.
nope. just for the record and curiously enough the first televised country music show was live from the village barn nightclub in greenwich village (or maybe not so curiously given the media business of nyc):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_Barn

here's a bit more fun trivia -- the village barn structure still exists today, but was much later converted into yet another music mecca --- jimi hendrix's electric ladyland studio!

i remembered this stuff from an old annotated gv thread i did a few yrs ago.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 11:46 AM
TIGERS NATIONAL CHAMPS

reminds me of the Midwest's version of Pigeon Forge, Tn....another wasted use of our beautiful countryside.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 3:30 PM
Reach for the Clouds

We have a place like this in Canada called Niagra Falls...but in our typically Canadian way we tone down the rhetoric. Both places are ghastly.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 8:43 PM

Not funny!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
nope. just for the record and curiously enough the first televised country music show was live from the village barn nightclub in greenwich village (or maybe not so curiously given the media business of nyc):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Village_Barn

here's a bit more fun trivia -- the village barn structure still exists today, but was much later converted into yet another music mecca --- jimi hendrix's electric ladyland studio!

i remembered this stuff from an old annotated gv thread i did a few yrs ago.
I don't care one way or the other, but that's interesting. I would have figured this would be one area where a Springfield, MO could best NYC in something.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 1:24 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
I don't care one way or the other, but that's interesting. I would have figured this would be one area where a Springfield, MO could best NYC in something.
well, on yours and mine and probably everyone else's behalf -- who the heck would ever imagine a country music first or country music anything for that matter was tied to nyc?! thats why after researching greenwich village history for a thread a few yrs back it stuck in my mind. just a bit of trivia!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 12:26 PM
giggity giggity goo

And to think I almost went to college there.

Anyways great photos.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 7:07 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Holy crap, that would have been a terrible decision.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 12:42 AM

Looks like a nice enough place. I guess the Titanic Hotel probably has pretty plush beds. But the real clincher for me is the christian music bit. I imagine the soothing piped in music at the confederate-cum-obama/osama gift shop, and I am tempted to quit my life of sin and head on straightaway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos