HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Telus Garden Residential Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Buying a Telus branded condo isn't on my list of things to do, for sure. It probably comes with some annoying elevator usage fees...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROSTSHOCKER View Post
I got a pretty good plan with unlimited building access and electric but I just heard from Telus that its an antiquated service plan so I probably need to look at "alternative" plans available for the highrise before they start charging antiquated plan fees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racc View Post
And the elevator is ten times faster going down than up.
Don't forget that if you go over your monthly allotment of floors for your elevator plan your strata fees go through the damn roof. $2 for each extra floor is just insane! It's not like it will cost Telus any more to run the elevators when people need them. Plus I don't know how they can call 9pm "evening" for your free evenings and weekend of elevator use. 9pm is night.

I get so sick of every other developed country has way cheaper elevator fees than we do. I don't know why Canadians put up with it. We really should allow foreign ownership of elevators since that would introduce more competition and bring the prices down.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Jan 31, 2011 at 12:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 10:58 AM

This project is being unveiled tmrw, perhaps with a modified design...

They may be an absolutely shitty company/monopoly, but you've gotta thank them for keeping so many jobs here instead of following the flow of moving everything to T-dot...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:13 PM

... I work for TELUS and I just seen the offical renderings.. Its not much diffrent then what is displayed on this page on the top.. The colors are little diffrent.. I cannot post the pictures yet untill it becomes revealed tomorrow but it will be called "TELUS Garden". It will have a 44 Story Res tower with 450 units and a 22 Story Office Tower. Construction will start in the fall of this year!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:22 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by danby View Post
... I work for TELUS and I just seen the offical renderings.. Its not much diffrent then what is displayed on this page on the top.. The colors are little diffrent.. I cannot post the pictures yet untill it becomes revealed tomorrow but it will be called "TELUS Garden". It will have a 44 Story Res tower with 450 units and a 22 Story Office Tower. Construction will start in the fall of this year!
wow! GO TELUS GO! great stuff!

so both parkades will come down at the same time? or 1 at a time? any idea if they picked up that lot between the 2 parkades ... ?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Construction will start in the fall of this year!
cool, nice to keep the pipeline full

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
wow! GO TELUS GO! great stuff!

so both parkades will come down at the same time? or 1 at a time? any idea if they picked up that lot between the 2 parkades ... ?

Both parkades will be replaced, I dont know if at the same time or not.. they both will become the tower's podium

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Both parkades will be replaced, I dont know if at the same time or not.. they both will become the tower's podium
yes i know both will come down ... its the phasing I am interested in and if they bought the site between the two .... lookat the render from Richards .... do you see a site in the middle of the project? a "nail house" as the Chinese would call it?

AKA this building this >> http://goo.gl/maps/iUPU

nail house >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nail_house

Last edited by hollywoodnorth; Mar 9, 2011 at 5:46 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 5:46 PM

Sorry I didnt read both questions.. it's a small picture i had to squint abit but I think it will still be there...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:03 PM

Curious as to how would construction start this fall? They should be able to build the office under the existing zoning, but the residential component will almost certainly require a rezoning process, at least based on a cursory review of the zoning:

Proposed: 44-storey residential tower for corner of Robson/Richards
Permitted: Under DD zoning (sub area C3) 3.0 FSR residential

Unless I'm missing something

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
... I work for TELUS and I just seen the offical renderings.. Its not much diffrent then what is displayed on this page on the top..
Hmmm.... I could have sworn that there was a lot of chatter about this being a new-to-Vancouver game-changing design. I guess the accountants and planners got their messy fists on the autocad file, and smashed it into submission?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:27 PM

Yes that is likely what happened. I too am a bit disappointed, not that the design is bad by any strech of the imagination, but it just isnt anything "groundbreaking" like the leadup was suggesting. I'm sure the materials will be decent and we will end up with a handsome tower, just nothing people will stop and take a picture of or anything.

Phesto, they can "start construction" this fall a number of ways. One would be to begin demo of existing structures and excav which would not require a building permit to be in place, just much easier to obtain demo and excav permits. Also they could start on the office component which someone mentioned wouldnt require a rezone and would likely be approved much faster than the taller residential component. Those two would be my best guess as to how they hope to hit that date, otherwise they might just be very hopeful about the permiting process or just throwing dates out there with little interest in hitting them.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:41 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:48 PM

Yeah thats pretty much what I got plus the renderings and more internal office stuff.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
yes i know both will come down ... its the phasing I am interested in and if they bought the site between the two .... lookat the render from Richards .... do you see a site in the middle of the project? a "nail house" as the Chinese would call it?
You mean the Kingston Hotel.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:00 PM

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Phesto, they can "start construction" this fall a number of ways. One would be to begin demo of existing structures and excav which would not require a building permit to be in place, just much easier to obtain demo and excav permits. Also they could start on the office component which someone mentioned wouldnt require a rezone and would likely be approved much faster than the taller residential component. Those two would be my best guess as to how they hope to hit that date, otherwise they might just be very hopeful about the permiting process or just throwing dates out there with little interest in hitting them.
Makes sense. Given the 2015 completion date mentioned in the CBC article, the residential component might be the final stage of the project (ie. achieving rezoning late 2012/early 2013 + ~2 yrs construction time).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Yes that is likely what happened. I too am a bit disappointed, not that the design is bad by any strech of the imagination, but it just isnt anything "groundbreaking" like the leadup was suggesting. I'm sure the materials will be decent and we will end up with a handsome tower, just nothing people will stop and take a picture of or anything.
Perhaps we shouldn't have taken the word "groundbreaking" as being anything more than the actual tilling of soil.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:34 PM
ON3P Skis

I think the "Groundbreaking" claims relate to how "Green" this building is going to be. Certainly it has nothing to do with it's architectural design (in my opinion).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:36 PM

Image from CBC

They had the announcement today instead?! They covered it on the noon news on Global with some great computer graphics. The condo tower has changed a lot and is basically 3 off kilter stacks minus the tree atrium on top.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 8:37 PM

Starting the residential after would be somewhat illogical however, as in mixed use developments often the commercial component is funded by the lump sum profits or debt secured against future earnings from the comdominimum sales. On second thought I would imagine the project will progress un-phased and the "construction start" will be demo and excav while the actual building permitting process is ongoing.

I'm sure there is someone here who can enlighten us as to what is going to be happening regarding start date and phasing... I dont expect any of the financing details though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver