HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
What could go wrong?

The Jabroni pretty much has it nailed. I haven't yet seen how it will tie into the CentrePort Canada Way since they just recently dreamed that road up but i imagine it would connect north of Players Golf Course somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
While I understand your concern, wouldn't you take "north of Templeton" to mean...north of Templeton and not Templeton? It's not like I'd say, Selkirk is Northeast of Winnipeg and then it'd be on top of West St. Paul. Although, I'm sure stranger things have happened in Winnipeg
No, because the poster also said the "furthest extent of Amber Trails" which currently IS Templeton. Additionally, a parkway will be much larger than the current Templaton (a gravel road) so there's no knowing with its width how much space it will take and if it would in any way encroach on the current Templeton.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 1:19 PM
What could go wrong?

It is sort of arbitrary right now how far north of Templeton it would run, but from an overhead perspective the line that Jabroni drew is fairly accurate on it's layout. There was a city notice in the paper not more than a couple of months ago citing the lands they were looking at right in that exact area. Contact the city if you require more exact info regarding this.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 1:20 PM
Back from the dead

^No , the furthest extent of Amber Trails goes well north of Templeton. All you see right now is development to date , not the entire street layout plan.

The city's inner ring is close to one of the drawings on the last page but the CPT does indeed join up with Plessis instead of following the corridor that was reserved for it years ago. Apparently there was some grass near Regent so now it's designated as sacred. The city had to rejig the whole thing in the end and it sold off the ROW between Regent and Pandora. Anyway , the grass is Tall Grass Prairie and apparently it's rare these days. Or at least , it's rare in Winnipeg. I'm sure that people have been flocking to sit in it.

As for the NW section of the CPT , originally it was supposed to curve southwards and merge with route 90 but since that area is clearly planned and being developed as industrial , something must have changed. This town can never stick to a plan but we all already know that. I'm guessing that the entire inner ring has basically been elongated to the West and now CentrePort Way will function as the Wester portion north of the Assiniboine instead of the Kildonan Corridor. I don't know...by the time it gets built it'll probably look more like a pretzel studded with lights than any sort of high speed corridor circling the city.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 5:37 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

On the imagery I posted, the red line CPT connects to Brookside Blvd., going over what is currently Jefferson Ave. so in a way, it is and would be connected to route 90.

When CentrePort Canada takes off, it could even be extended further up to Sturgeon, if truck traffic on what will be eventually twinned expressway Inkster gets too much. But that would be many years away before if that sort of thought reaches to the powers that be.

As for the purple line CPT, the route is, again, based on the 60's plan for the long term inner ring road, eventually connecting to Plessis before Regent. Although, what I thought is that CPT would terminate even further south, on either Dugald or on Plessis near the CN Symington Yards, which seemed more logical to me in my opinion, based on the current imagery.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 4:02 PM

After discussions with the city I was pointed to the document hosted below which shows the proposed routing of the CPS (along with other interesting information). It is a little bit out of date... but the placement is pretty close to what's on here and happy to see where it is in more detail.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/plan...map_platec.pdf

Thank-you to those who responded and for making a new member to this forum feel so welcome with your warm responses.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 8:38 PM

Chief Peguis extension a step closer to reality

Staff Writer Free Press
13/05/2009 1:00 AM | Comments: 2

AN up to $100-million extension to Chief Peguis Trail was one step closer to reality Tuesday after a Winnipeg city committee approved a report from the city's public service detailing the giant infrastructure project.
The report goes before the city's executive policy committee on May 20.
The infrastructure renewal and public works committee approved the Winnipeg public service recommendations' to make Chief Peguis Trail a four-lane divided street from Henderson Highway to Lagimodiere Boulevard. It also puts on the table a proposed underpass where Chief Peguis could cross Rothesay Street. The underpass was sought by residents who are concerned the Peguis extension will slash dangerously close to a church and homes. The report also recommends the city's chief administrative officer (CAO) have the authority to award the contract to design, build, finance and maintain the extension, with either an underpass at Rothesay or an intersection with a regular traffic light. The committee's chairman, Charleswood-Tuxedo Coun. Bill Clement, said the city will ask companies interested in building the Peguis extension to submit plans about how they would build the Rothesay underpass and how much that option would cost.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 12:57 AM
Capitalist

... and the impressive expressway developments in Winnipeg continue.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 12:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post

The city's inner ring is close to one of the drawings on the last page but the CPT does indeed join up with Plessis instead of following the corridor that was reserved for it years ago. Apparently there was some grass near Regent so now it's designated as sacred. The city had to rejig the whole thing in the end and it sold off the ROW between Regent and Pandora. Anyway , the grass is Tall Grass Prairie and apparently it's rare these days. Or at least , it's rare in Winnipeg. I'm sure that people have been flocking to sit in it.

As for the NW section of the CPT , originally it was supposed to curve southwards and merge with route 90 but since that area is clearly planned and being developed as industrial , something must have changed. This town can never stick to a plan but we all already know that. I'm guessing that the entire inner ring has basically been elongated to the West and now CentrePort Way will function as the Wester portion north of the Assiniboine instead of the Kildonan Corridor. I don't know...by the time it gets built it'll probably look more like a pretzel studded with lights than any sort of high speed corridor circling the city.

Why do morons and NIMBYS hold our city hostage? Who cares about some grass that occupies the equivalent of 3 city blocks? Why was there no uproar when plans to build 2 bridges over the Seine River unfolded (Warde yet to be completed). I just have to shake my head at the powers that be in Winnipeg sometimes.

Having said that, I really think they should build the corridor right to Kenaston, instead of ending it at Wilkes. that was the original plan, was it not?

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 1:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
^No , the furthest extent of Amber Trails goes well north of Templeton. All you see right now is development to date , not the entire street layout plan.
Amber Trails Plan

From viewing the community plan, Templeton will cut right through Amber Trails, heading Westbound, before turning into the Maples just before it approaches the CPS (when it is completed).

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Why do morons and NIMBYS hold our city hostage? Who cares about some grass that occupies the equivalent of 3 city blocks? Why was there no uproar when plans to build 2 bridges over the Seine River unfolded (Warde yet to be completed). I just have to shake my head at the powers that be in Winnipeg sometimes.

Having said that, I really think they should build the corridor right to Kenaston, instead of ending it at Wilkes. that was the original plan, was it not?
Actually those bridges or at least the first one connecting Royalwood did have NIMBY's they were the SOS save our Save group. Although a compromise was reach and the city put more money into beautifying the area when they put the bridge(s) in. I know that with the first bridge the area got a huge clean up and the trail along the river was improved.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 5:13 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Tentative design for Chief Peguis Trail extension approved

By: Bartley Kives | Winnipeg Free Press

27/05/2009 11:47 AM

WINNIPEG--City council has approved a tentative design for the Chief Peguis Trail extension that could see an overpass or underpass built at Rothesay Street if city staff figure out an affordable way to do it.

Council voted nine to five in favour of the design, which will cost the city $64 million without a grade separation at Rothesay.

An overpass or underpass could cost another $35 million.

Couns. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge), Harvey Smith (Daniel McIntyre), Lillian Thomas (Elmwood), Dan Vandal (St. Boniface) and Russ Wyatt (Transcona) voted in opposition.

Wyatt wanted to see greater assurances the Rothesay grade separation would be built, while the other four councillors would have preferred to see existing Winnipeg roads and transit improved before the Chief Peguis Trail extension proceeds.

North Kildonan Coun. Jeff Browaty, the area councillor, said he was confident city staff would do everything they could to ensure the grade separation could happen.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

The should divert the $7M from the waterpark to this.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Tentative design for Chief Peguis Trail extension approved

By: Bartley Kives | Winnipeg Free Press

27/05/2009 11:47 AM

WINNIPEG--City council has approved a tentative design for the Chief Peguis Trail extension that could see an overpass or underpass built at Rothesay Street if city staff figure out an affordable way to do it.

Council voted nine to five in favour of the design, which will cost the city $64 million without a grade separation at Rothesay.

An overpass or underpass could cost another $35 million.

Couns. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge), Harvey Smith (Daniel McIntyre), Lillian Thomas (Elmwood), Dan Vandal (St. Boniface) and Russ Wyatt (Transcona) voted in opposition.

Wyatt wanted to see greater assurances the Rothesay grade separation would be built, while the other four councillors would have preferred to see existing Winnipeg roads and transit improved before the Chief Peguis Trail extension proceeds.

North Kildonan Coun. Jeff Browaty, the area councillor, said he was confident city staff would do everything they could to ensure the grade separation could happen.
Is there anything she doesn't oppose!?

I was concerned my new councillor (River Heights) would start voting with the left-wingers currently sitting on council, but so far, thankfully, he hasn't.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 11:42 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
The should divert the $7M from the waterpark to this.
Considering a low volume interchange would run around 30 million, the $7 million wouldn't make much of a differce on how traffic would flow.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 11:57 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake10 View Post
Is there anything she doesn't oppose!?

I was concerned my new councillor (River Heights) would start voting with the left-wingers currently sitting on council, but so far, thankfully, he hasn't.
Gerbasi, Vandal and Smith are all ussually anti-everything.... I am ashamed that there are enough anti-progress people in Winnipeg to see these clowns re-elected term after term. A complete waste. Its a sad comentary of the general lack of vision so many these people share. The 1950's are over and Winnipeg is embracing the needs of today and the future, but don't let Gerbasi know, because she wants to resist it all.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:07 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post

Here is map from the Centreport Website, showing the future vision of transportation upgrades.

source: Centreport Canada website

http://winnipeginlandport.ca/centre_port_canada.htm

Note: If you read between the lines (literaly) we can expect Hwy6 to eventually be linked to CentrePort (Inland Port) Way.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:14 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

highway 6 needs to be twined and while there at it put the rail line back in that ran beside it and conect that to the one that goes to thompson

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 12:26 AM
Armchair urbanist

Twinned up to Ashern at least. If the Churchill Port continues to see increased use, then a case to twin the rest of the way will be strengthened.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 1:11 AM
Heart of the Continent

Highway 6 isn't that busy at all...twinned to Warren maybe...but beyond that...not right now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan