HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:58 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I love this line from her Wiki page ...I know math can be hard, but still ....
Hard to imagine that Canada's infamous Sixties Scoop had an arm that was long enough to take away the kids of Italian-Americans in the Boston suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
That's why I called it tepid. Sham would be more appropriate. They want to look like they are doing something without actually doing anything.

They really must think voters won't notice or care. But when the election rolls around and elevated prices and rents are still there, I wonder what they'll be telling voters.

When LPC supporters look back at when they had a chance to turn the ship around, I hope they remember this moment.
Same article without the login required:
https://windsorstar.com/pmn/business...dent-criticism

What is interesting is:
  1. "In 2019 to 2020, foreigners paid 37% of tuition at Canada’s universities, while in 2021 those students paid an estimated 68% of tuition at Ontario’s colleges."
  2. "The number of foreign students in Canada has tripled in about a decade to more than 800,000 last year.:

That is a remarkable shift for collages in Ontario of where they get their revenue.

Having only 800,000 at any point in time is not that high. Especially given many are here under a student visa for 4 years.

I think the Liberals are doing the right thing on cracking down on fraud. I do disagree with pointing the certification finger at the provinces. Yes, the provinces should not be licensing lower quality institutions or programs. The feds don't and should not accept applications associated with problem institutions.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

Having only 800,000 at any point in time is not that high. Especially given many are here under a student visa for 4 years.
I think that is a huge number for a country Canada’s size. Canadian universities graduate about 320k per year. Canada can’t absorb 800k students in legitimate educational programs and it can’t house that many students without massive disruption to the real estate market.

I know the provinces like the cash, but so many diploma mills is going to lower the reputation of Canadian institutions, making it hard to attract the legitimate students Canada needs.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Is this a joke? She's 82, clearly looks Indigenous, and a legend. A Canadian treasure. That would shock me. She's still rocking out as an Octogenarian.
This is why race is an entirely social construct. A half Italian, half English girl from Boston “looks indigenous” because she said she was and made some fashion choices associated with indigenous people.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 6:26 AM

Acting Piapot chief, other Sask. Indigenous people react to CBC investigation into Buffy Sainte-Marie
Acting chief of Piapot First Nation says his community will not turn their back on Sainte-Marie
Alexander Quon CBC News October 27, 2023

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 6:31 AM

The Fifth Estate: Making an Icon

Buffy Sainte-Marie's claims to Indigenous ancestry are being called into question by family members and an investigation that included genealogical documentation, historical research and personal accounts. Watch now

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Oct 28, 2023 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would find that very difficult to believe. She looks more indigenous than 95% of her first nations compatriots/
Now that I think about it, there was another "famous" Italian-American pretendian, Joe Scarpa aka Chief Jay Strongbow

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Same article without the login required:
https://windsorstar.com/pmn/business...dent-criticism

What is interesting is:
  1. "In 2019 to 2020, foreigners paid 37% of tuition at Canada’s universities, while in 2021 those students paid an estimated 68% of tuition at Ontario’s colleges."
  2. "The number of foreign students in Canada has tripled in about a decade to more than 800,000 last year.:

That is a remarkable shift for collages in Ontario of where they get their revenue.

I think the Liberals are doing the right thing on cracking down on fraud. I do disagree with pointing the certification finger at the provinces. Yes, the provinces should not be licensing lower quality institutions or programs. The feds don't and should not accept applications associated with problem institutions.
These students are not leaving. Seneca college is not a world beating institution that draws the best and the brightest. Instead, it provides desperate people from third world countries a back door into Canadian permanent residency. This was one of the reasons cited by the CIBC for the stat can undercount.

Of the 800,000 in 2022, 550k just arrived last year. By comparison our natural population growth in this country was 28,000. This basically means that out our world beating population growth, international students represent nearly 50% of that growth versus 3% from natural growth. For 2023 we’re expected to welcome over 600k new. The total number is expected to reach 1.4 hmillion by 2027 per IRCC but given our tendency to undercount this is likely a conservative estimate.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
These students are not leaving. Seneca college is not a world beating institution that draws the best and the brightest. Instead, it provides desperate people from third world countries a back door into Canadian permanent residency. This was one of the reasons cited by the CIBC for the stat can undercount.

Of the 800,000 in 2022, 550k just arrived last year. By comparison our natural population growth in this country was 28,000. This basically means that out our world beating population growth, international students represent nearly 50% of that growth versus 3% from natural growth. For 2023 we’re expected to welcome over 600k new. The total number is expected to reach 1.4 hmillion by 2027 per IRCC but given our tendency to undercount this is likely a conservative estimate.
I don't know Seneca College to say one way or another I am also equally sceptical. They very likely should not be "qualified" or "accredited" to the level they can sponsor international students.

The feds need to be far more selective in the institutions they will accept acceptance letters from. Ideally with per institution caps.

The 600k for this year is the number of student visas issues. I wonder how many of those are actually used at the end of the day. A number of those visa holders will end up not coming for whatever reason.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
This is why race is an entirely social construct. A half Italian, half English girl from Boston “looks indigenous” because she said she was and made some fashion choices associated with indigenous people.
Unlike others here, I had the benefit of having no idea at all who this person was, and having looked her up with an open mind and no previous bias at all, with the intention of learning what “her features” looked like while ignoring non-genetic stuff like current clothing and current hairstyle, I must say she could easily be Southern Italian.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I don't know Seneca College to say one way or another I am also equally sceptical. They very likely should not be "qualified" or "accredited" to the level they can sponsor international students.

The feds need to be far more selective in the institutions they will accept acceptance letters from. Ideally with per institution caps.

The 600k for this year is the number of student visas issues. I wonder how many of those are actually used at the end of the day. A number of those visa holders will end up not coming for whatever reason.
Given that 550k actually arrived last year and permits issued are up 70% this year, I don’t see any reason to expect less than 600k to arrive this year. Some may arrive next year, but we’ll also have stragglers approved from last year arriving this year.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hard to imagine that Canada's infamous Sixties Scoop had an arm that was long enough to take away the kids of Italian-Americans in the Boston suburbs.
Her official story is that there was a Sixties Scoop policy in the early 1940s in which the Canadian Government would cross American customs with abducted babies in order to dump them into Massachusetts for some reason?!?!?!? No need to be an investigative journalist to immediately know it’s gotta be total BS. Even George Santos does better than that, in terms of coming up with stuff that’s at least semi-plausible at first sight

Even her official bio kinda agrees with me:

According to her website biography,[8] Sainte-Marie was born in 1941[9] on the Piapot 75 reserve in the Qu'Appelle Valley, Saskatchewan, Canada, to Cree parents,[10][11] and at the age of two or three she was taken from her parents as part of the Sixties Scoop—a government policy where indigenous children were taken from their families, communities and cultures for placement in non-First Nations families.[12]

The idea was always to take away those babies from “bad” “uncivilized” FN families and raise them (whether in Residential Schools or in adopted White Canadian families) so that they can eventually become normal good CANADIAN citizens.

The mere idea of a Sir John A Macdonald era of Official Canadian Government residential school policy designed to “take the Indian out of the child and turn the child into a normal productive Bostonian/Yankee adult” is mindblowingly stupid!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If there's hydro in Quebec that belongs to Quebec, if there's hydro in Labrador it sort of belongs to Quebec, and if there's oil off Newfoundland some of it belongs to Quebec. )
And that’s exactly why only 49.5% of Quebec voted to leave, last time

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
1. Most are not here for 4 year programs. You seem to be clueless to what is happening in colleges these days and keep defaulting to priors about foreign students that is decade out of date. Most are here for 1-2 yr programs. And they want to work part time with easy programs that give them a path to residency as soon as possible.

2. 800k is an incredibly high amount for Canada given that the US has about a million foreign students.

I actually think students educated in Canada make the best immigrants. No need to worry about foreign credentials. They adapt social and language skills. And they usually are at a point where they'll acculturate well. But all this is only true, if you're selecting good candidates for good programs. If you're pumping through people for 1 yr Business diplomas, most of this goes out the window. This is now a covert immigration for foreigners who would not usually qualify under the point system. Only this time they get to buy their way in with pointless college diplomas. Canadians are right to be mad about what is being done to their immigration system.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:
1. Most are not here for 4 year programs. You seem to be clueless to what is happening in colleges these days and keep defaulting to priors about foreign students that is decade out of date. Most are here for 1-2 yr programs. And they want to work part time with easy programs that give them a path to residency as soon as possible.

2. 800k is an incredibly high amount for Canada given that the US has about a million foreign students.

I actually think students educated in Canada make the best immigrants. No need to worry about foreign credentials. They adapt social and language skills. And they usually are at a point where they'll acculturate well. But all this is only true, if you're selecting good candidates for good programs. If you're pumping through people for 1 yr Business diplomas, most of this goes out the window. This is now a covert immigration for foreigners who would not usually qualify under the point system. Only this time they get to buy their way in with pointless college diplomas. Canadians are right to be mad about what is being done to their immigration system.
100% agree with all of this. If we are doing this to provide revenue to universities that is easily replaced. We are spending close to a half million dollars to build subsidized housing and then bring 50 students who need housing who combined bring in that much revenue for universities. Insanity. To say nothing of the completely fake colleges or nearly fake colleges that are taking $40k from a student providing little to no education in return they get access to Canada. They are probably borrowing this from some loan shark in India and with current cost of living they will be hard pressed to pay this back so all their earnings go to their 1/10 of a rental house so UBER can deliver us food for twice as much as picking it up ourselves while giving the restaurant half as much as they'd otherwise earn.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:15 PM

Quote:

My familiarity of this is with those going to traditional universities and even there mostly with graduate students.

Your visa is valid for the length of the program plus 90 days. I don't know the mechanics of those going to the puppy mill schools. A one year + 90 day permit is not a lot of time if your intention to apply and get approved for a more long term status. There is also the risk that you will not get something more permanent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
100% agree with all of this. If we are doing this to provide revenue to universities that is easily replaced. We are spending close to a half million dollars to build subsidized housing and then bring 50 students who need housing who combined bring in that much revenue for universities. Insanity. To say nothing of the completely fake colleges or nearly fake colleges that are taking $40k from a student providing little to no education in return they get access to Canada. They are probably borrowing this from some loan shark in India and with current cost of living they will be hard pressed to pay this back so all their earnings go to their 1/10 of a rental house so UBER can deliver us food for twice as much as picking it up ourselves while giving the restaurant half as much as they'd otherwise earn.
I think we need to get that program back to legitimate students are real institutions. That may well reduce the numbers, but that is ok

This program should not exist to feed the diploma mill type institutions.

If this is to supply UBER and Skip dishes with employees well they can jump through the temporary foreign worker program if it makes business sense to them.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:27 PM

Liberals, taking credit for reversing their own f’d up policy…….. as per Mr Freeland on X:

“Our government is delivering relief to Atlantic Canadians, rural Canadians, and people across the country who use home heating oil. This will make life more affordable for people across Canada today—while we fight climate change at the same time.”

Wasn’t is Mr Steven Gilboe just one month ago who condescendingly claimed:

“How fair would it be for the rest of the federation if we started carving out exceptions for provinces?”

The Liberals are in complete free fall mode.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:34 PM

Lol at Freeland bragging that she’s “delivering relief from Justin Trudeau to Atlantic Canadians”. You can’t make this stuff up

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Lol at Freeland bragging that she’s “delivering relief from Justin Trudeau to Atlantic Canadians”. You can’t make this stuff up
Delivering relief or forestalling the inevitable?

JTs intentions remain the same. He is just putting things off until after the next election, which seems a little cynical and disingenuous to me........

Old Posted Oct 28, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
My familiarity of this is with those going to traditional universities and even there mostly with graduate students.
So you're basically clueless about the vast majority of foreign students, the bulk of whom don't go to universities, let alone for graduate programs. Like I said, you're out of touch by almost a decade.

Quote:
Your visa is valid for the length of the program plus 90 days. I don't know the mechanics of those going to the puppy mill schools. A one year + 90 day permit is not a lot of time if your intention to apply and get approved for a more long term status. There is also the risk that you will not get something more permanent.
Again. You seem to have no idea how this works. Graduate from a 1 yr program and you get a 2 yr work permit. And if you get enough "experience" in your field, it allows you to apply for PR. Ironically, this rule actually favours the most generic certificates. It's much harder to get qualifying experience as an electronics technician or machine learning specialist than it is as a "business administrator".

Quote:
I think we need to get that program back to legitimate students are real institutions. That may well reduce the numbers, but that is ok

This program should not exist to feed the diploma mill type institutions.
You keep acting like this mostly a diploma mill problem. The government's own stats show this is not. The majority of these students are going to public colleges and universities. And the majority of these crap 1-2 yr programs are run by these institutions.

The federal government is happy to facilitate this. That's why they are talking about cracking down on diploma mills. It's good distraction for easy marks like you, ready to believe this is only a small problem of a few bad apples than systemic policy failure.

Indeed, everybody benefits but the average Canadian. Faculty and admin staff benefit from the feds. And many of them benefit through real estate investment (as Prof Mike Moffat pointed out in his criticism of faculty association voting down student housing policy proposals). Employers benefit from suppressed wages. Real estate owners benefit from buoyant demand. The average Canadian though? We get more competition for work, for a home and even for groceries.

Quote:
If this is to supply UBER and Skip dishes with employees well they can jump through the temporary foreign worker program if it makes business sense to them.
You have been trolling at this point with how clueless you are. You can't be serious.

They aren't coming here to be TFWs. What part of path to residency do you not understand? Or do you seriously believe somebody moves half a world away to simply work for 6 months as an Uber driver? Come on now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada