HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:12 PM

Last 24 hours bombers lost Lawler, Darvin Adams; Richardson and Harris. West will be much more competitive

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Last 24 hours bombers lost Lawler, Darvin Adams; Richardson and Harris. West will be much more competitive
Yeah, the Bombers were able to weather the storm of covid disruptions better than most other teams due to a combination of organizational stability and sheer inertia due to the uncertainty of it all. But with the CFL fully back in action that advantage has been lost. It will be interesting to see how good Kyle Walters is at filling those holes.

I will say that for all the press Harris has gotten/will get in light of his departure to the Argos, that is probably the easiest hole to plug with Augustine and Oliveira behind a very solid offensive line. At this stage in his career, Harris was really more about the team's identity than it is about raw running yardage stats... he really was the biggest name on the team.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, the Bombers were able to weather the storm of covid disruptions better than most other teams due to a combination of organizational stability and sheer inertia due to the uncertainty of it all. But with the CFL fully back in action that advantage has been lost. It will be interesting to see how good Kyle Walters is at filling those holes.

I will say that for all the press Harris has gotten/will get in light of his departure to the Argos, that is probably the easiest hole to plug with Augustine and Oliveira behind a very solid offensive line. At this stage in his career, Harris was really more about the team's identity than it is about raw running yardage stats... he really was the biggest name on the team.
I am confident Danny MacManus can find good young talent this off-season in the u.s. as his connections in scouting are possibly the best in the CFL the past few years

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I am confident Danny MacManus can find good young talent this off-season in the u.s. as his connections in scouting are possibly the best in the CFL the past few years
He has certainly done a great job finding talent in the US, that's for sure.

As a sidenote, I always loved Danny Mac. He is such an unpretentious, normal guy, normal-looking even... almost hard to believe he was an elite NCAA QB who went on to pass for over 50,000 yards in the CFL. Sort of like the Phil Kessel of football

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
He has certainly done a great job finding talent in the US, that's for sure.

As a sidenote, I always loved Danny Mac. He is such an unpretentious, normal guy, normal-looking even... almost hard to believe he was an elite NCAA QB who went on to pass for over 50,000 yards in the CFL. Sort of like the Phil Kessel of football
I remember one off season he was doing a cfl qb skills competition on tsn. The reporter said you look good have you lost some weight? He said no it just moved around

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 10:46 PM

Ahahaha, classic Danny Mac.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:26 PM
Ham-burgher

Among other things, I have fond memories of the Danny Mac naked bootleg. It often succeeded, but every fan on his team's side must have clenched just about everything clenchable while he was running. I'm wincing just remembering it.

Great player, great person, and I hope to see him have a long career as a full-fledged GM some day.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Among other things, I have fond memories of the Danny Mac naked bootleg. It often succeeded, but every fan on his team's side must have clenched just about everything clenchable while he was running. I'm wincing just remembering it.

Great player, great person, and I hope to see him have a long career as a full-fledged GM some day.
I think he will very soon i could see the Argos or Alouettes hiring him next year if they have a bad 2022 season

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 1:07 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Sort of like the Phil Kessel of football

That made my day.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:19 PM
Ham-burgher

I'm not sure what Banks has left in the tank for a full season, but he will be good for a few big returns and some key catches if he's used appropriately. He's had some injury issues and is no longer elusive enough to avoid taking a beating, but he's still a gamer and if Dinwiddie is smart he will use Speedy situationally.

I wish Banks well, though I'd rather he didn't join the Blew team.

If he sticks with the team, it certainly makes gameday in Hamilton (Toronto visits twice) a whole lot more interesting. It was going to be anyway with Ja'Gared Davis donning Argo colours.

https://3downnation.com/2022/02/13/s...brandon-banks/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:41 PM

Argos are shaping up to be elite, although it will be interesting to see whether MBT builds on his success last season to really become a franchise quarterback. If so, it would a rare example of the Argos developing their own QB.

The whole east is really improving, the RBs and Als will be legitimate and Hamilton is still good. There will be more divisional parity this season than we've seen in a long time.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 4:47 PM

Will Ferrell rocking BC Lions gear at the Super Bowl!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:08 PM

Will Ferrell wears B.C. Lions gear at Super Bowl LVI alongside Vancouver native Ryan Reynolds
3Down Staff 3downnation February 13, 2022

Photo courtesy: Ryan Reynolds (@vancityreynolds)

It appears the B.C. Lions have an extremely famous fan in attendance at Super Bowl LVI.

Ryan Reynolds posted a photo of himself with fellow comedic actor Will Ferrell at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif., located just southwest of Los Angeles. Ferrell is wearing a B.C. Lions toque and matching jersey emblazoned with No. 61, which is currently worn by veteran left tackle Joel Figueroa.

“Will keeps asking me why there’s a fourth down,” Reynolds captioned the Instagram post.

Reynolds was born in Vancouver where his father worked as a member of the RCMP before moving to Los Angeles at age 19. He and his family now live in the Pound Ridge neighbourhood of New York, though remains proud of his Canadian heritage as displayed on his social media handles.

Ferrell was born in Irvine, Calif. and is reportedly a big fan of the USC Trojans, which makes sense given that he attended the university. Is wearing B.C. Lions gear, which could easily be confused for the orange and black of the Cincinnati Bengals, Ferrell’s idea of a joke? As one of the funniest men in Hollywood, we certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

The 54-year-old is no stranger to Canadian sport as he joined TSN’s broadcasting crew for a small portion of the Tim Hortons Brier in 2013. He provided commentary as Ron Burgundy, his popular character from the smash-hit 2004 film Anchorman, as a promotional stunt for the sequel Anchorman 2, which was released in November 2013.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 5:28 PM

‘I love it’: Hall of Famer Warren Moon a fan of B.C.’s all-Canadian QB duo
3down Staff 3downnation February 11, 2022

Photo courtesy: Richard Lam / UBC Thunderbirds

The B.C. Lions are making a bold move by rolling with two inexperienced Canadians, Nathan Rourke and Michael O’Connor, under centre next season, but they’ve earned a stamp of approval from one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time: Warren Moon.

The only player to be inducted into both the Canadian and Pro Football Hall of Fame sat down with Lions’ play-by-play man Bob ‘The Moj’ Marjanovich on Super Bowl radio row and expressed his approval for the move during an episode of Moj on Sports.

“I love it. When you can put quarterbacks of that quality that are Canadians at the quarterback position that just frees up two Americans at some other positions that you probably thought you weren’t gonna use Americans on,” Moon said. “I think if it works out well for them, that just strengthens the rest of their football team by using those Americans somewhere else.”

For the purposes of the overall roster, neither Rourke or O’Connor count as a National. However, they will count as one of seven required National starters, allowing the Lions to play three Americans along the offensive line.

Some have questioned whether the third-year O’Connor is the best choice to back up Rourke in his first season as starter, but Moon has no such concerns. The two have a prior relationship, as Moon was introduced to the young Canadian QB by former UBC football financial backer David Sidoo as he attempted to lure the Penn State transfer away from the NCAA.

The ploy worked and Moon made a trip to Vancouver to mentor O’Connor during his first training camp as a member of the Thunderbirds. The heavily coveted recruit would lead his team to a shocking Vanier Cup victory that same year, spurred on by texts from Moon before and after every game.

“Michael’s a really good player and I think his best years are ahead of him,” Moon said. “He’s back in his old stomping grounds again in Vancouver and I think he’s gonna do a good job there.”

Far removed from his days of winning five straight Grey Cups, Moon says he still “keeps tabs from afar” on the CFL. While he has opinions on the Lions’ quarterbacks, his greater focus has always been his former organization, the Edmonton Elks. He’s had a close eye on their recent turmoil.

“I know they have a new coaching change. I know they have a new general manager. I know they have a new president, so they’ve kind of really cleaned house there and are starting all over from scratch,” Moon said. “I hope they get back to their prominence because there are a very proud organization that has had a lot of success and hopefully this new leadership will get them to that stage.”

The legendary quarterback reserves a special place in his heart for Canada and has a clear preference for the three-down game. While the NFL has long stolen concepts and ideas from the CFL, Moon believes they could stand to adopt even more.

“I’ve always said that I love the Canadian rules a little bit more than the NFL rules because the game moves so much faster. There’s so many more ways to score,” he explained.

“The field, of course, has a little bit to do with that, the width of it, but there’s no question that the NFL could use some more of the rules that are up in Canada to make their game a little bit faster, a little bit more exciting down in the United States.”

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 11:51 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Will Ferrell wears B.C. Lions gear at Super Bowl LVI alongside Vancouver native Ryan Reynolds
3Down Staff 3downnation February 13, 2022

Photo courtesy: Ryan Reynolds (@vancityreynolds)

It appears the B.C. Lions have an extremely famous fan in attendance at Super Bowl LVI.

Ryan Reynolds posted a photo of himself with fellow comedic actor Will Ferrell at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, Calif., located just southwest of Los Angeles. Ferrell is wearing a B.C. Lions toque and matching jersey emblazoned with No. 61, which is currently worn by veteran left tackle Joel Figueroa.

“Will keeps asking me why there’s a fourth down,” Reynolds captioned the Instagram post.

Reynolds was born in Vancouver where his father worked as a member of the RCMP before moving to Los Angeles at age 19. He and his family now live in the Pound Ridge neighbourhood of New York, though remains proud of his Canadian heritage as displayed on his social media handles.

Ferrell was born in Irvine, Calif. and is reportedly a big fan of the USC Trojans, which makes sense given that he attended the university. Is wearing B.C. Lions gear, which could easily be confused for the orange and black of the Cincinnati Bengals, Ferrell’s idea of a joke? As one of the funniest men in Hollywood, we certainly wouldn’t put it past him.

The 54-year-old is no stranger to Canadian sport as he joined TSN’s broadcasting crew for a small portion of the Tim Hortons Brier in 2013. He provided commentary as Ron Burgundy, his popular character from the smash-hit 2004 film Anchorman, as a promotional stunt for the sequel Anchorman 2, which was released in November 2013.
Now that's a celebrity photo. Reynold's has never been bigger. Ferrell is not at his peak as an actor but, he is still producing despite his break up with his long time partner and Gary Sanchez Productions shutting down.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 10:56 PM

BC Lions first ever CFL team to hire a female coach.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
BC Lions first ever CFL team to hire a female coach.
Beat me to it

Lions hire Tanya Walter, becomes first full-time female CFL coach
cfl.ca February 15 2022

VANCOUVER — The BC Lions announced on Tuesday the hiring of Tanya Walter to the coaching staff as defensive assistant. Walter becomes the first full-time female coaching hire in Canadian Football League history.

“I am honoured and grateful to the Lions organization for providing me the opportunity to make this significant step in my coaching career,” said Walter.

“I can’t wait to get to work with this Lions team.”

Walter’s football journey began in 2013 as a player with the Western Women’s Canadian Football League’s (WWCFL) Edmonton Storm. Walter also went on to represent both Team Alberta and Team Canada, helping the national women’s team win a Silver medal at the IFAF Women’s World Championship in 2017.

“I am excited for the opportunity to add Tanya to our coaching staff,” said Campbell.

“Along with her experience and dedication to the game of football, Tanya’s work ethic and enthusiasm will be valuable to our entire team.”

The native of Forestburg, Alberta began coaching at Edmonton’s St. Francis Xavier High School from 2017-21.

Walter’s coaching resume also includes a guest appearance with the CJFL Edmonton Huskies. She also served as an assistant for the West Edmonton Raiders girls tackle football team.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 12:38 AM

Lions make Walter first full-time female coaching hire in CFL history
The BC Lions announced Tuesday that the club has hired Tanya Walter to the coaching staff as a defensive assistant. Walter becomes the first full-time female coaching hire in Canadian Football League history.
Canadian Press February 15, 2022

VANCOUVER — Tanya Walter is used to pushing her way into unusual spaces.

The former linebacker broke a whole new barrier Tuesday when she was named defensive assistant for the B.C. Lions, becoming the first full-time female coach in CFL history.

“In my mind, there’s nothing that is off limits if I put in the time and put in the effort," Walter said on a video call. "I’ve never been one to think, ‘maybe that’s not for me’ or ‘maybe that opportunity’s not there.’”

Walter, 30, knows she's making history and that her new job will have a big effect on future generations, but she's staying focused on the responsibilities of her new role.

"Obviously, yes, being the first female is a huge win. But myself, I look at it as the job is the job and I’m here to coach," she said.

“It’s great to be the first and I’m honoured to be the first, but to really measure the success, I think it’s about what happens next.”

Walter began playing football in 2013 with the Edmonton Storm of the Western Women’s Canadian Football League.

But growing up in Forestburg, Alta., she played basketball and was repeatedly told she was too loud and too aggressive on the court, and that she took the game too seriously.

“I didn’t have female role models and I looked up to a lot of male athletes, so really, I was just doing what they did," Walter said. "And it wasn’t until later on when I got into football that I realized there was a space for an athlete of my mindset."

She didn't watch football growing up and didn't know much about the sport when she got on the field.

“It took, honestly, probably two or three years of being a player before I actually fully understood the game," said Walter, who also played for Alberta's provincial squad and the Canadian women's team that won a silver medal at the 2017 IFAF women’s world championship.

Once she felt she had a solid grasp on the X's and O's, Walter turned to coaching.

She started at Edmonton's St. Francis Xavier High School in 2017 and continued through last season. A guest coaching spot with the Canadian Junior Football League's Edmonton Huskies followed, as did an assistant's role with the West Edmonton Raiders girls tackle football squad.

The coaching spots were volunteer gigs, so Walter spent 10 years working full time as a personal trainer. In 2020, she took on a role with a minor football association in Edmonton and later started working for a non-profit organization that helps kids play sports.

When B.C. Lions head coach and co-general manager Rick Campbell spoke with Walter about the defensive assistant job, he liked her passion for the game and her work ethic. Working in football takes someone with experience and the right demeanour, he said.

“You kind of have to have the right frame of mind and I think she has all those things," Campbell said.

“The thing I really like about football is you can’t hide. You’re either contributing to the team or you’re not. I fully anticipate her contributing in a big way.”

Walter said she's spoken with a number of female friends who are already working in professional football, including Katie Sowers (who worked for the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs), Phoebe Schecter (a former coach for the Buffalo Bills) and Lori Locust (assistant defensive line coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers). Their advice has been helpful, she said, as she prepares to take on this new challenge.

"(They said) 'Yes, in the beginning you’ll have to show you’re there, you know what you’re doing,'" Walter said. "And when it comes down to it, it’s just allowing people to judge you on your abilities. And the gender part doesn’t matter.”

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:21 PM

Derek Taylor announced as the new play by play guy on CJOB replacing Bob Irving. It will take some getting used to. Derek was play by play guy for the Riders the past 2 seasons.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 3:46 PM

Good catch for CJOB. Derek has a history in Winnipeg, he called U of M Bisons games for nine seasons. People who remember his segments on TSN will know that he has a very impressive grasp on the statistical side of the game.

Oh, and Chris Streveler signed with the Miami Dolphins yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada