HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I can only speak for my immediate family (and my extended family and friends/acquaintances, to a certain degree), but we would be more inclined to visit the water parks, and to visit them more often, if we did not have to drive 1hr+ each way (from our place to both Mont Cascades and Calypso).
It all depends, for my family, we live within 25 minutes from Calypso, near the Hunt Club 417 off ramp but the last 2 years, we purchased a family membership at Mont Cascade which is 50 minutes from our house for the following reasons: Each time we went to Calypso, the wait time for the rides are horrendous, especially on the weekend. We cannot get a table even during the week if you go late and the price is double that of Mont Cascade. We choose the last 2 years to go to Cascade due to price of the membership, wait time for the water slide, access to a picnic table and free parking plus our kids are still young and cannot access a lot of the rides at Calypso.

If the place is overpriced and too busy, I will try it out once to say I have been there and most likely during a weekday when I am off.

As for a business model, I still cannot understand why they would build another waterpark when they clearly stated that they are going to expand Mont Cascade. Three waterparks in Ottawa, yikes!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Are you likelier to drive 2 to 5 hours to visit an amusement park?
The short answer is No and the long answer is No as well. If there was an amusement park that is between 2 to 5 hours drive from Ottawa, I would most likely bring my family there once a season. I would not go there often, however.

A prime example is La Ronde, which is about 2.5 hours from our home. We try to go there once a year (usually combined with other activities in Montreal) but that's about it and have not done so for the past couple of years.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 8:23 PM

canabiz; do you see the logic in instead building an amusement park (so that we don't have to drive 2 to 5 hours) in the area instead of a third waterpark (cutting the travel time by only 30 minutes or so on average)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy418 View Post
Having an amusement park with a smallish water park inside makes the most sense I think. I would love to have something like that in Ottawa.
That wouldn't be too bad; the main attraction is the amusement park with the smallish waterpark as a bonus that doesn't necessarily compete with the other existing waterparks.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:48 AM

I support development for that part of town and I could see your points about an amusement park and that is a very valid point!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 10:14 AM

What if it's for business reasons in case of the Calypso lawsuits weighing them down? Separate persons to separate business risk, tax breaks, etc.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 1:03 PM

I previously contacted Jan Harder to request more info and she just confirmed again Proslide will build this water park in 2018. It will be, in her words, great for the City, Eastern Ontario and upstate New York. I can't say I disagree.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 4:03 PM

It might be good for the City, even Eastern Ontario, Upstate New York is a stretch. Not saying it won't work, just disappointed it's more of the same.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
It might be good for the City, even Eastern Ontario, Upstate New York is a stretch. Not saying it won't work, just disappointed it's more of the same.
I don't disagree with you but I look at it from a glass half-full perspective. This will provide jobs to the local folks/kids and also bring in revenue to the city. It is certainly better than what is there right now e.g. big piece of undeveloped land.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canabiz View Post
I don't disagree with you but I look at it from a glass half-full perspective. This will provide jobs to the local folks/kids and also bring in revenue to the city. It is certainly better than what is there right now e.g. big piece of undeveloped land.
Am I missing something, how can this region handle three waterparks, a business that is only open for 3 months of the year. Even Montreal, which has 3 times the population and major summer tourist areas, doesn’t have 3 within 1/2 hour drive. What I am aware of is one in St. Sauver, which serves the Laurentian and has tons of tourist in the summer, one in Bromont, which serves another tourist area in the eastern township and Vermont area, and there is the Super Aqua Club near St Eustache. Calypso also serves Montreal but it is 1:30 away and more for people living in the East End.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 12:36 AM
Bulid Up, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
This scenario really doesn't apply if you are adding substantially to your fixed costs to access the same market segment and pool. There are times when you can create 2 different brands for essentially the same product or service, but this is an advantage only when you are achieving significant cost savings sharing a single set of costs. I don't see how a second waterpark owned by Proslide will achieve those savings. Each location has its own high set of fixed costs-infrastructure, land etc..

It makes little business sense from my point of view to have 2 waterparks owned by one company in the same market. The only reason to do so might be a temporary measure to force out the competition or if they plan to close Mont Cascades and eventually run with a single site. The waterpark market is constrained enough by the short season, operating 3 parks in a market-I can't see the profitability in that over the long term. So, for one company to open 2 locations-there has to be other objectives than profit in the near term.
It's not just two waterparks. His plan for Mont Cascades is an all season resort with all season attractions. The Barrhaven project will be a seasonal attraction but more than just a waterpark and the added benefit is that it will also serve as a marketing tool to expand his global Proslide company. Opinions will change once the plans for Alottawata are made public. In the Meantime, Valcartier ( Calypso ) are also adjusting their plans for their future growth. These projects are a step in the right direction for a Capital Region known for it's lack of fun attractions. For Mr. Hunter this is a long term profit plan that makes perfect business sense.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:50 AM

Waterparks in East, South and North ends of the region, just need one in the West end....oh wait, Logos Land! We're all good!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:21 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

As others have said, an amusement park makes a lot more sense than a third waterpark.

An amusement park is also less vulnerable to bad weather: people will still go to an amusement park when it's 17C and cloudy, for example.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
It's not just two waterparks. His plan for Mont Cascades is an all season resort with all season attractions. The Barrhaven project will be a seasonal attraction but more than just a waterpark and the added benefit is that it will also serve as a marketing tool to expand his global Proslide company. Opinions will change once the plans for Alottawata are made public. In the Meantime, Valcartier ( Calypso ) are also adjusting their plans for their future growth. These projects are a step in the right direction for a Capital Region known for it's lack of fun attractions. For Mr. Hunter this is a long term profit plan that makes perfect business sense.
How will it be more than a waterpark?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
As a consumer (and one with kids who lives in the south end) its welcome news. As proslide also seems to be a very successful manufacturer in this sector, I would suppose they have done their due diligence and know what they are doing. You can appreciate how, on the surface, certain aspects don't look like ideal conditions for opening a 3rd park. Look forward to learning more!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:56 PM

I would also love an amusement park way more than another water park but:

1) Someone would need to be willing to build it, not sure proslide would venture off to build this as this isn't their expertise

2) I'm sure an amusement park costs more money than a water park. I mean, roller coasters, observation towers, ferris wheels, all sounds more expensive than just slides and pools...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
How will it be more than a waterpark?
If they do indeed go ahead with this 2018, I have to think they need to file their application with the City in 2017, if not sooner. Hopefully more details will be available shortly.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 11:41 PM

Amusement parks are incredibly costly to build, operate and maintain - Ottawa couldn't support one.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 3:29 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

South-end waterpark finally moving ahead, developer says

Vito Pilieci, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 29, 2016 | Last Updated: April 29, 2016 7:12 PM EDT

For the past eight years, the much-anticipated Alottawata Ottawa waterpark in the city’s south end has been nothing more than a faded sign in an empty field, but that’s about to change, according to the park owner.

Proslide Technologies Inc., a designer of waterpark attractions around the world and owner of Cantley’s Mont Cascades, has been busy acquiring land around the 100 acres it already owns at the corner of Bankfield Road and Brophy Drive, filing new site plan approvals to the City of Ottawa and meeting with city councillors from that area as the company begins to turn its focus back to opening Alottawata Ottawa in time for summer 2019.

In short, the project is finally moving ahead.

“I’m doing it. This is going to happen,” said Rick Hunter, founder of Proslide.

“We don’t want this to go on for ever and ever.”

The original plan for 10 water rides on the site, now about 150 acres in size, has been downsized somewhat in order to get the park open for visitors quickly.

Proslide plans to add a major new attraction to the park each year afterward, the same approach that the original owners of Canada’s Wonderland took when they opened north of Toronto in 1981.

While Hunter wouldn’t specify how many rides he’s targeting for the park’s planned 2019 opening, he said he plans for the development to be “a world-class waterpark” on par with others his company is involved with around the globe.

Hunter realizes that the project has become a bit of a punchline for Ottawa residents who’ve been anticipating the park since it was first announced in 2008, but he says he’s deadly serious about getting this done. Starting off smaller will also allow the businessman to finance the park himself, without outside investment or partners.

“Every smart waterpark does it this way,” he said.

Proslide is already among the world’s largest designers and manufacturers of waterslides. The company is installing its slides in more than 65 waterparks around the world. Last year alone, it received five awards from organizations, including the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions, and several from the World Waterpark Association for rides the company has installed in Bangkok’s Pathum Wan district and another for an installation at Six Flags WhiteWater in Atlanta.

“I’m an Ottawa business guy and I am proud to be doing business here in Ottawa. We’re going to be the world’s centre for waterpark development.”

Drawing particular attention is the company’s HydroMagnetic slides, which incorporate technology used on high-speed bullet trains to propel inflatable rafts through twists and turns. ProSlide recently installed two HydroMagnetic slides in Abu Dhabi, right next to the country’s new Formula One racetrack and $1.5-billion Ferrari museum.

Orders from China and the United States have also had the firm’s employees working overtime. Proslide has expanded from about 30 employees in 2011 to more than 100 today. The additional staff has allowed Hunter to turn some attention back to developing Alottawata Ottawa, while keeping the rest of the business focused on exporting slides.

He has also begun the process of selling off a 34,000-square-foot warehouse in Rigaud, near Montreal, which is used for research and development in creating new slide technologies. The facility is being relocated to the Alottawata site, which underscores Hunter’s intention to use the new park as a giant laboratory where Proslide can create and install its cutting-edge waterslide designs for Ottawa residents to try before selling them to the world.

“I’m dying to do this. But, as an entrepreneur who has to run a business, I want to make sure a plan is in place,” said Hunter, adding that it has been difficult to find time to dedicate the focus necessary to Alottawata. “My enthusiasm for this project never went away.”

Last week, Hunter met with Barrhaven Coun. Jan Harder and Rideau-Goulbourn Coun. Scott Moffatt to show preliminary plans and discuss issues facing the development. Both of the councillors confirmed the meeting took place and expressed support for the project as it could bring hundreds of thousands of visitors into their wards, boosting the economy and creating jobs, especially stable, seasonal summer jobs for youth in the area.

Both Harder and Moffatt said a new interchange on Highway 416 at Barnsdale Road would be needed to facilitate the traffic that is expected. A “Barnsdale exit” would give commuters a second route they could use to access Alottawata on Moodie Drive. Official City of Ottawa plans have identified Barnsdale Road for an interchange. Widening Barnsdale to four lanes has also been discussed.

The two are already working with city staff to see if there is any way to speed up approvals for Hunter’s plans.

Barry Nabatian, a market research analyst with Shore Tanner & Associates, said the proposed location for Alottawata could help the park attract more than 220,000 visitors annually. It’s closer to downtown than the Calypso Theme Park in Limoges, it’s an easy drive for people coming from Kingston and Eastern Ontario, and it will be 40 minutes from the United States border.

http://ottawacitizen.com/business/lo...developer-says

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 9:48 AM

The 416 interchange at Barnsdale is long overdue.

I'm glad to see Mr. Hunter remain committed to this project and it looks like he has a sound business plan and clear vision.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 5:00 AM

As a Wakefielder I'm a little disappointed that Mr. Hunter's focus (and money) will likely be on this new waterpark instead of the Mont Cascades expansion over the next few years. Ah well...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation