HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 12:57 AM

Could have at least included some street level store fronts rather than what looks like an office building in a power centre. Moncton should want more out of its developers, specially in the downtown rather than just taking what evers being offered.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:41 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
OK - it's probably time to do this:

Compilation of Major Proposed Projects in Moncton Centre:

Moncton Downtown Events Centre

Status - proposed
Height - unknown
Construction - ?2014
Rendering - not exactly as illustrated

Harper Building

Status - planning
Height - 10 stories
Construction - 2013
Rendering - accurate

Ashverd Development on Assomption Blvd

Status - planning
Height - 4-5 stories
Construction - 2013
Rendering - not exactly as illustrated

Killam Apartment Building on St George St & Archibald

Status - planning
Height - 7 stories
Construction - ?
Rendering - accurate as far as we know.

Dominion St condo development by Valmond Robichaud

Status - under construction
Height - 4 stories
Construction - completion this year
Rendering - accurate

Nice list! So much going on...gonna be a great few years for downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Could have at least included some street level store fronts rather than what looks like an office building in a power centre. Moncton should want more out of its developers, specially in the downtown rather than just taking what evers being offered.
While I agree in principle with you Cormier...the fact is that this particular section of main street isn't set up for that kind of retail yet...perhaps in 10-15 years...but not now. Next door is a suburban Staples store. Unfortunately Moncton doesn't have the luxury of being overly picky with these kinds of developments...Like I said, this is a high quality 10 floor building...its cladded in stone and has lots of glass elements. Its not a 10 floor vinyl sided monstrosity with window shutters!

In a perfect world we could expect Halifax style highrises in Moncton...but really Moncton is 1/4 the size of Halifax, and its not the sole hub of the province the way Hali is to NS.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm. 40,000 sq ft of office space - Isn't that the exact amount of space that the feds are looking for? Maybe that's why he's calling it the "Harper Building" (just kidding)
You probably already know this, but Stephen Harper's grandparents were from Moncton; his grandfather was the principal at Aberdeen High School. Maybe Harper St is named after his family so everything's coming full circle. I'm definitely not a fan of "The Harper Building" as the official name. "The Harper Government(tm)" is enough.

Having said that, I prefer this design over A2000's. I see where the new design may be a bit dull, but it's also more classic and timeless, and it would fit better with its surroundings. I also wonder if it's the final rendering because it looks like 9 floors to me.

Last edited by pierremoncton; Apr 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM. Reason: format

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Yeah, I'm aware of Harper's patrilineage, and Harper St likely does have some connection to his family. The original Harper in fact was a Yorkshire immigrant to Sackville Township in the 1760's. He helped to defend Fort Cumberland from the Yanks during the Revolutionary War.

As far as the style of the Harper Building, I certainly agree that it isn't as inspired as Architecture 2000's original renders, but I'm sure compromises had to be made for the sake of affordability. The building is somewhat generic, but not unattractive, and like mmmatt, I think the final product will likely be more than acceptable if good quality materials and cladding are used. That certainly seems to be the case with Valmond's other project on Dominion St.

This is an important project for the city, and should help encourage increased density in the east end of downtown. I think we should all support this endeavour completely.

Moncton definitely seems to be turning a corner here.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Nice list! So much going on...gonna be a great few years for downtown

Like I said, this is a high quality 10 floor building...its cladded in stone and has lots of glass elements. Its not a 10 floor vinyl sided monstrosity with window shutters!
I would bet large amounts of money that this will be cladded in cheap precast, and from the rendering it looks like the darker brown areas of clad may even be wood siding. Its going to look cheap which is a really big shame because its such a prime location.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I would bet large amounts of money that this will be cladded in cheap precast, and from the rendering it looks like the darker brown areas of clad may even be wood siding. Its going to look cheap which is a really big shame because its such a prime location.
The article states that the exterior of the building will be clad with stucco and stone tile.

Also, when they state construction is to start "very soon" - does anybody have an interpretation of this in the construction world? Is that 12 months from now or would it more so mean it will start this spring?

Last edited by Mattyyy; Apr 27, 2012 at 11:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I guess my previous comment about the 40,000 sq ft of office space in the podium of the Harper Building being exactly the same as the requirements that the feds are looking for was spot on.....

In the paper today, Valmond Robichaud said that he was low bidder for the federal contract and that he expects to win it.

This must be the impetus to get cracking on this project soon....

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:31 PM

Maybe I'm not supposed to post full articles here, but anyone with a library card can read it online for free anyhow.

From ProQuest:

Quote:
Developer Valmond Robichaud says construction is about to begin on a new 10-storey building at the northwest corner of Harper Street and Main Street that will be comprised of two floors of office space and eight floors of condominiums and apartments.

"The site includes two floors of 40,000 square feet of office space, underground parking and eight floors of condo apartments," Robichaud says.

"The Harper Building Inc. is anticipating leasing this office space to the federal government as (The Harper Building Inc., with Sorel Investments Inc.) are the lowest bidder."

Robichaud says construction will begin "very soon."

"It's going to be a very nice building," Robichaud says.

"It's a great location. It will be one of the first things that you see when you come into Moncton from Dieppe. It will be a landmark."

The building will feature underground parking for 125 vehicles with individual storage areas which will be associated with each resident's parking spot, and a rooftop courtyard, with access via stairs and an elevator, featuring a gazebo and other areas where residents can relax and a barbecue or two.

More surface parking will be available behind the building, which will be located at 299 Main St.

The office space will be large enough to accommodate about 200 workers. Robichaud notes that will be a good influx of people into the east Main Street business area during working hours.

The exterior of the building will be clad with stucco and stone tile.

The condos can be tailored to each buyers' tastes.

While most will measure between 1,400 and 2,000 square feet, buyers can purchase larger units if they so wish.
It doesn't state how many condos/apartments are to be included, but if each floor is about 20,000 sq ft, then 8 floors at 1,400-2,000 would mean 80-110 units altogether. I'm always amazed at how many people can afford to live in these types of places (I bet they won't be cheap). I wonder how long it'll take to fill up.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
I'm always amazed at how many people can afford to live in these types of places (I bet they won't be cheap). I wonder how long it'll take to fill up.
Condos are often cheaper than buying single-family houses. As well, living and working downtown means you can save an incredible amount of money not driving your car.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 6:37 PM

Not to mention this doesn't look like its going to be a high class condo. It should be fairly affordable to live there.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Not to mention this doesn't look like its going to be a high class condo. It should be fairly affordable to live there.
Good quality affordable downtown living spaces are just what Moncton needs. Downtown condos in the $150k range would be in high demand. It would be suicide however to think about building $500k condos in Moncton. They might work in Haligon but would be priced right out of the market here.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Good quality affordable downtown living spaces are just what Moncton needs. Downtown condos in the $150k range would be in high demand. It would be suicide however to think about building $500k condos in Moncton. They might work in Haligon but would be priced right out of the market here.
Thats why I said they would be affordable I'm sure had the developer gone with the original design he could be selling units at a higher price.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I believe Moncton will develop itself toward a $500K market. There is growing demand for condos and this trend will continue with the climbing costs of material goods.

With spring upon us, many home owners re-meet the increasing budgetary issue of unaffordable landscaping maintenance.

There are so many money saving reasons to choose a condo over a house -- including a savings with time.

The presence of condos also places futher stress on the municipality to improve both public spaces and public transit; the latter especially true since some condo owners forego the purchase of a car entirely.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 3:38 PM

I can see $500k condos in Moncton very soon. There's currently a few condos now between $250k to $399k.

$325k condo corner of St-George & Archibald
$399k condo is at 77 Cameron

Source www.mls.ca

Top corner floors facing Main st on the Harper building could fetch a high price, depending on square footage.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I can see $500k condos in Moncton very soon. There's currently a few condos now between $250k to $399k.

$325k condo corner of St-George & Archibald
$399k condo is at 77 Cameron

Source www.mls.ca

Top corner floors facing Main st on the Harper building could fetch a high price, depending on square footage.
Moncton's downtown has yet to infill and densify -- mostly due to the city's sprawl of which drains the downtown of demand and resources. The higher condo prices may be from their rarity. The introduction of more condos will help bring prices down. $399K for a downtown Moncton condo shocks the hell outta me, quite frankly.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:25 PM

500k shouldn't be a stretch, as long as the whole building isn't priced that high. I live in a building in Uptown Saint John and many units on the upper floors were 300-500k depending on square footage.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:34 PM

News from the Highfield Square:

-Olivier Soapery - Gone!
-Boutik Electrik - Gone!
-Liquidation Furniture Store - Moved on Elmwood Dr. (old hangar at McEwen Airport)!

I dont know how long it's gona stay open when The Bay leaves??? the small Tim's is still doing good!!

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Moncton's downtown has yet to infill and densify -- mostly due to the city's sprawl of which drains the downtown of demand and resources. The higher condo prices may be from their rarity. The introduction of more condos will help bring prices down. $399K for a downtown Moncton condo shocks the hell outta me, quite frankly.
Good point. However, it does have 3200 sqft with 4 bathrooms. The only thing I don't like, it's all wood construction with a $705 monthly condo fee.

Google street view
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=...34.43,,0,-3.68

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
In a perfect world we could expect Halifax style highrises in Moncton...but really Moncton is 1/4 the size of Halifax, and its not the sole hub of the province the way Hali is to NS.
HA! -- No, no, no -- I certainly have no hopes that Moncton settles for Halifax's height. In all honesty, Moncton is well poised to build beyond the skyline achievements of Haligonia.

Halifax would never build something as tall as the Aliant Tower in its downtown, so close to the Citadel; therefore, this tallness is exceptional for Atlantic Canda, and I hope Moncton continues to embrace it.

While I think its vital for Moncton to primarily focus on infill and density -- namely getting rid of as much surface parking lots as possible with new buildings, parking garages, and public space -- the downtown has a geographical advantage despite its sprawl: Wheeler, the city highway, is to the north of the downtown. This means that (and I'm not suggesting Moncton builds any!) even Torontonian-style highrises could be built along the available properties of the downtown along Wheeler and you haven't a worry in the world about casted shadows because you're dealing with a highway and not private properties.

...Although, Torontonian-style highrises would be a nice backdrop for those viewing the downtown from Riverview...
Maybe someday, Moncton.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Couple of downtown tidbits:

- Cafe Cognito has reopened in it's new location next to Catch 22 Lobster Bar.
- C'est la Vie Cafe will decamp Highfield Square and relocate to the old Candy Chameleon location in the central part of Main Street.

With Colpitt's planned reopening soon, I'm beginning to have hopes of a Main Street renaissance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces