HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

View Poll Results: What's your take?
Love it 97 76.98%
Like it 26 20.63%
Leave it 3 2.38%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
I should know better than to let the golden-hour light in the renderings set my expectations, but I was thinking the glass would be a bit lighter and warmer on this tower.

In reality its more cool green/grey...not unlike Brookfield. Hard to really judge it at this stage I guess.
I think the glass will look better than Brookfield's. The bluey-gray piece is further away from the glass so not as noticeable, and when the sun is on it, it has a fairly warm look.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 11:41 PM
ARTchitecture

707 Fifth Avenue by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

707 Glass by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

707 by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

707 Glass by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:03 AM
Master and Commander

This tower uses a triple glazed insulated low-e curtainwall units provided by CGI. I really hope the end corners are indeed curved glazing, segmented would ruin it..
The only other building that has triple glazed in this city is the Airport Terminal, maybe a few other towers in the core has it as well but they come at a premium. Insulating and solar performance is top notch when it comes to the world of curtain wall design.
Also note how behind the glazing where the spandrel space/fire stopping area would traditionally be, SOM designed it such that you can achieve the required floor ratings without coming up with bulky details which local offices tend to do. It meets code while still looking sexy inside and out, that is what true design caliber is! I can almost sense the expertise and ingenuity of towers like WTC/Burj/etc all compacted into one 124m high infill tower for our city.
I can also see the steel mullions at the lobby which will be the support posts for the shingled (staggered) structural glazing. Not sure if this means it can be done without using spider clips which has now started to become tacky.
So far it is looking stellar by the pics from Chaddy!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:16 AM
Snarkotron

The floor cantilevers taper outwards on the east end of the tower, I wish there was a little more tilt to it though. I guess we'll see in a a couple months how noticeable it will be once some more glazing is erected. It'll be a while yet before the east and west ends get done. But more glass is on site now. The good weather is helping to speed construction. Core forms are into the 20's and steel is erected up the the 15 floor level today. It is a shame this tower will not be much taller than the provincial courts building.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:20 AM
Snarkotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post
Also note how behind the glazing where the spandrel space/fire stopping area would traditionally be, SOM designed it such that you can achieve the required floor ratings without coming up with bulky details which local offices tend to do.
If you're looking at a drawing set, we are probably both on the same page right now...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:27 AM
Master and Commander

Blue you ought to bring me onto site!
Especially curious to see the various glazing types and designs for the rest of the tower, lobby and that crazy weaving skygarden. Are the end glazing then curved? fingers crossed it is..

Yes I do see the outward taper which will look awesome, a bit of Centrium Place kind of taper but curved..

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 3:22 AM

Steel moving very quickly now.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 6:06 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokimon View Post
Blue you ought to bring me onto site!
Especially curious to see the various glazing types and designs for the rest of the tower, lobby and that crazy weaving skygarden. Are the end glazing then curved? fingers crossed it is..

Yes I do see the outward taper which will look awesome, a bit of Centrium Place kind of taper but curved..
Skygarden?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Skygarden?
I would have to guess that was meant to be winter garden, but I am prepared to be surprised. Depending on how 'asian hq influenced' the project is, it could include a reception floor with a mini interpretative centre for Brion the includes some garden space. Pretty common in asia - the university's energy lab in China even has one, minus garden space!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Cypress View Post
The floor cantilevers taper outwards on the east end of the tower, I wish there was a little more tilt to it though. I guess we'll see in a a couple months how noticeable it will be once some more glazing is erected. It'll be a while yet before the east and west ends get done. But more glass is on site now. The good weather is helping to speed construction. Core forms are into the 20's and steel is erected up the the 15 floor level today. It is a shame this tower will not be much taller than the provincial courts building.
I was walking by here the other day and couldn't tell if the floors angled out or not, guess we will have to wait until some glass is up there to tell.

The glass is looking good so far, though it's hard to tell as there is only a small portion up so far.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:20 AM
Master and Commander

Yes I meant winter garden my bad.
The tower tapers out at the 5th street side only and by the time it reaches the top it will be about the same alignment as where the revolving doors are if you were to hang a line from the outer most point of the taper.
The glazing provider is CGI with triple glazed sealed units, I don't know any other downtown towers using this level of curtain wall but some serious dollars put down during its curtain wall tender. If triple glazed is that good of a system to warrant its cost then maybe more new towers in the future can use this as well. Developer Clients take note!

Oh and the crown will have 5-6 rows of illuminated light beams running continuously around its entire shape that will vary in spacings from the back to front end. They may even be alternating colors LED strip fixtures, hard to tell from the render.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:41 AM
I am the law!

Classy tower and you're pumping up programmable LED?I recall more than one of office towers built in the last 10 years having triple glazed curtain wall.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:12 AM

This is my favorite tower at the moment and will be until Telus sky starts rising.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 6:33 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
Classy tower and you're pumping up programmable LED?I recall more than one of office towers built in the last 10 years having triple glazed curtain wall.
Really - which ones?
I always think of triple glazing as pretty rare (although may become less so with the new energy code requirements adopted in the ABC 2014).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:20 AM
Snarkotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
This is my favorite tower at the moment and will be until Telus sky starts rising.
For a smaller project it is stand-out. I think that the integration of the garden, train platform, and +15 to western gas (joined by two well-placed sets of escalators at either end of the project) will make it a well-travelled public space. The garden roof will be elegant and the finishes are great, though the lobby glass feels 1980 with a twist to me.

I'm not really impressed with the qualities of the glazing system, but it is certainly on par with other recent office projects in town. Hopefully the glazing contractor is able to pick up the pace...

This project will really take shape by summer. I regret only that it is not brookfield-sized. Scaled up, this would have been an icon like the Bow, the design intent and quality is there.

I had hoped that the proposed renovation and addition to the Barron building would go ahead at the same time, but meanwhile it is a great construction office, even in its dilapidated and gutted state.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 8:46 PM

It was nice to see the first row of glass panels being installed today on the 7th Ave side. It's looking really good.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 3:16 AM
Snarkotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
It was nice to see the first row of glass panels being installed today on the 7th Ave side. It's looking really good.
You're a week late.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Cypress View Post
You're a week late.
This morning I was watching workers installing the first row of glass right above 6th Street platform. I'm not exactly sure what I'm late for.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 3:34 AM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Really - which ones?
I always think of triple glazing as pretty rare (although may become less so with the new energy code requirements adopted in the ABC 2014).
Not sure which ones. Think Bankers Court was one.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 8:45 PM

quick cell phone shot as I was stopped at a red light.

I would imagine not too much more to go height wise?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates