HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:33 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
No, actually, it is a photo of some local from Waterloo.
A Molson Export drinker I'll bet.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Feb 8, 2008 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:38 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Well I did provide links. Perhaps you were too distracted to see.
Oh I checked out those links, problem was that one link (that you provided) contradicted your point.... understand now?

Quote:
Funny thing though, earlier on you mention a 10 month gain for Rim. What is the significance of 10?? I know Waterloo is math oriented, do the people there measure the year in digital months?? [sarcasm]It certainly couldn't be an example of you doing some statistical cherry picking, could it? [/sarcasm]
Actually, you were the one who originally used the 10 month time frame.... I was just responding to your comments.... that's just another detail that you have wrong. Check your post #133 and #138 for the proof. If you don't understand the significance of 10..... then how should I?

Last edited by Waterlooson; Feb 8, 2008 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 7:49 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Gold.
It might have been... too bad he got the facts mixed up and posted a link that disproved his point. Now you look as silly as your avatar.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Feb 8, 2008 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:03 PM

I'm by no means an expert on this, but I heard an "analyst" claim that RIMM runs the risk of being the next Nortel because it's basically a "one trick pony" and companies like LG, Samsung from Asia are starting to produce very strong competitors to the Blackberry.

What say you?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:07 PM
I am a typical

The analyst has a point, which must make him and I anti-Waterlooians.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:11 PM
mañana is my busiest day

The "one trick pony" aspect of RIM is a concern... however, a year or so ago, people were saying that Microsoft, Palm, Motorola et al were going to hurt RIM.... that hasn't occurred.

If you are a one trick pony, and have the best trick.... then that's a big advantage.... the only problem is that if someone comes out with a better "trick", you are in big trouble.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:13 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The analyst has a point, which must make him and I anti-Waterlooians.
Not anti-Waterlooians whatsoever.... it's rather refreshing to see a RIM-contrarian (and you too) with a point.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 8:48 PM
Headquarter: Montreal

Well the guy is basically saying saying what everyone is saying for the past 50 posts in this thread. RIM has only one product, which makes it really risky, especially in a market like we have right now.

LG produces computers, dish washers, computer screens, intelligent phones, refrigerators, etc.
And they have an additionnal advantage by beeing close to where the production is, in China.

RIM only has one product, smart phones, and has its market shares highly concentrated in North America ( unlike LG which is much more present in emerging markets) .

RIM, you're gonna drop and make me rich ( sorry WaterlooSon and Waterloo Investor )

Old Posted Feb 8, 2008, 9:23 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post

RIM, you're gonna drop and make me rich ( sorry WaterlooSon and Waterloo Investor )
Don't say sorry to me.... I don't hold RIM stock! But RIM did go up 5.6% today on a weak market.... sorry to see your profits evaporate.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:09 AM
Calgreedian

Good news Waterloo forumers, I bought a new Blackberry yesterday, so be sure to add my $450 to your 2008 proformas. Hopefully this will provide a positive signal to shareholders since Calgary investment bankers are rushing to buy new product.
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 4:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
It might have been... too bad he got the facts mixed up and posted a link that disproved his point. Now you look as silly as your avatar.
perhaps. But you just look silly. Always have, always will. Avatar or not.

get it through your thick skull: You have no friends here. Excepting your RIM buddy, WaterlooInvestor.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2008, 5:33 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
perhaps. But you just look silly. Always have, always will. Avatar or not.

get it through your thick skull: You have no friends here. Excepting your RIM buddy, WaterlooInvestor.
I see that my comments really hit home and that Waterloo's success with RIM truly bugs you.... alway has, always will to the point of obsession - but that's not healthy. Is this forum supposed to be some sort of anti-RIM or anti-Waterloo clique? I don't think so, and be honest, you haven't contributed one bleepin' thing to this thread (or too many others) beyond playing the role of a beer swilling, silly hillbilly, who doesn't know the difference between a Blackberry and a raspberry or judging from your posts anything significant regarding "Canadian business".... so here's a few raspberries for you.

As far as having "friends" here, it looks like Furrycanuck would love to be yours (post #156 re: RIMjobs).

Last edited by Waterlooson; Feb 9, 2008 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:11 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
As far as having "friends" here, it looks like Furrycanuck would love to be yours (post #156 re: RIMjobs).
I'm gonna have to pass on that one.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:21 PM
I am a typical

You know you waaaaanna.

(Remember that? What was that from??)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 9:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I see that my comments really hit home and that Waterloo's success with RIM truly bugs you.... alway has, always will to the point of obsession - but that's not healthy. Is this forum supposed to be some sort of anti-RIM or anti-Waterloo clique? I don't think so, and be honest, you haven't contributed one bleepin' thing to this thread (or too many others) beyond playing the role of a beer swilling, silly hillbilly, who doesn't know the difference between a Blackberry and a raspberry or judging from your posts anything significant regarding "Canadian business".... so here's a few raspberries for you.

If it makes you feel better, so be it. I am not a local yokel, but someone who has lived in many places in Canada, and someone who has travelled around the globe. You and yours (Wwarrior, Winvestor, etc.) incessant focus on ramming a RIM and broader KW agenda across this forum is what is bothersome.

Jealousy? Yeah, that is right, I am really jealous of Waterloo and the success of RIM.

Beyond having four business degrees (including a PhD), and more than 20 years experience (including 9 years of teaching business courses to undergraduate and graduate students), I definitely know shit fuck-all about Canadian business. In fact, I can't even figure out how to post reprints from my local tabloid, with the latest articles boosting how great/smart my city and its companies are.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:23 AM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, so be it. I am not a local yokel, but someone who has lived in many places in Canada, and someone who has travelled around the globe. You and yours (Wwarrior, Winvestor, etc.) incessant focus on ramming a RIM and broader KW agenda across this forum is what is bothersome.

In the thread titled “which of the following cities will reach 1 million first??” ….Quebec, Hamilton or Winnipeg, you replied with this: “waterloo. Why? RIM!” Up until that point in the thread (post #50), no one had mentioned Waterloo or RIM. You were the one who brought it up… no one else wanted to talk about Waterloo. When I posted (further along in that thread) I only mentioned Hamilton. So aren't you being rather hypocritical here?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=145664&page=3

Quote:
Jealousy? Yeah, that is right, I am really jealous of Waterloo and the success of RIM.

Beyond having four business degrees (including a PhD), and more than 20 years experience (including 9 years of teaching business courses to undergraduate and graduate students), I definitely know shit fuck-all about Canadian business. In fact, I can't even figure out how to post reprints from my local tabloid, with the latest articles boosting how great/smart my city and its companies are.
Well at least you didn't claim to be the winner of the Nobel Prize for economics.... so I suppose your delusions of grandeur could be more severe. Well educated you say? You don't even understand the meaning of hypocrisy. Judging from your comments, it's hard to believe you have your senior matriculation in hand. "I definitely know shit fuck-all about Canadian business." LMAO!!!!! Now that was absolutely golden Mr. (oops, I meant Doctor) Phd. Is that what you told your students when they questioned you?

Last edited by Waterlooson; Feb 11, 2008 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:37 AM

What is this, the hockey thread? Settle down, you guys.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 3:01 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
You don't even understand the meaning of hypocrisy.
And you don't appear to understand the meaning of sarcasm. I think that balances everything out, no?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromCalgary View Post
Good news Waterloo forumers, I bought a new Blackberry yesterday, so be sure to add my $450 to your 2008 proformas. Hopefully this will provide a positive signal to shareholders since Calgary investment bankers are rushing to buy new product.
Usually what bored people do, buy expensive useless stuff !

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 11:43 PM

Yet more bad news for Ontario's industrial sector

Martinrea said poised to shut Kitchener Frame auto parts plant: 1,200 workers
Mon Feb 11, 4:36 PM
The Canadian Press

* Email Story
* IM Story
* Printable View

By The Canadian Press

KITCHENER, Ont. - Martinrea International Inc. (TSX: MRE.TO) intends to close the Kitchener Frame Ltd. auto parts plant - with a loss of about 1,200 jobs - unless it finds new work, the Canadian Auto Workers union said Monday.

The closure would eliminate about 750 remaining factory jobs, 50 office positions, and the hopes of roughly 400 people currently on layoff from the heavy-duty stamping plant. The parts factory had about 2,000 workers two years ago before a streamlining effort pared the workforce.

Mike Devine, president of Canadian Auto Workers Local 1451, said the company has informed the union that it plans to shut the plant on April 23, 2009, when the union's current contract with the company expires.

The plant, which produces frames for General Motors (NYSE: GM) sport utility vehicles, was taken over by Martinrea (TSX: MRE.TO) in its 2006 acquisition of the North American vehicle body and chassis operations of ThyssenKrupp Budd.

The plant's production has come under pressure as consumer tastes have moved away from frame-based SUVs in favour of lighter unibody crossover vehicles. The high loonie has also affected the Canadian auto parts sector, making it more expensive for U.S. carmakers to source their parts north of the border.

"There's not much light at the end of the tunnel right now," Devine told the Waterloo Region Record.

Hemi Mitic, assistant to CAW national president Buzz Hargrove, said the plant's problems arise from GM's plan to phase out its mid-size truck-based TrailBlazer and Envoy SUVs by 2010.

GM is the only customer of Kitchener Frame, and "the company has given us one year's notice, as required under the terms of the agreement, that in April of 2009 they're going to close the facility," Mitic said.

"The future of the frame business is not like it used to be - it's really (only) in the big trucks," Mitic said, as mid-size and small SUVs become more car-like to provide better fuel economy, ride and handling.

"It makes it very difficult for us. . . . This is a million-square-foot plant; it's designed to produce quantity, and so you have to have a big-run job."

The prospect of the Martinrea closure is the latest blow to a manufacturing economy staggering under the strong Canadian dollar, weakening U.S. demand and intense foreign competition.

The recent bankruptcy of the Ledco tool and die plant in Kitchener provoked a union protest, and Cambridge Stampings said last week it will close in April.

Martinrea, with 7,000 employees at 30 locations in Canada, the United States, Mexico and Europe, is seeking other work for the plant, and also is said to be demanding deep cuts in unionized wage rates.

The company, founded by former executives of Magna International, more than doubled in size with the US$275-million takeover - $95 million in cash and the rest in assumed liabilities - of the ThyssenKrupp Budd assets, which included 13 plants with 3,500 employees.

In a separate release, Devine noted that the Kitchener area in southwestern Ontario, long tied tied to the auto sector, has lost more than 8,000 manufacturing jobs in the last two years alone.

He repeated the union's call for more help for the troubled manufacturing sector from Ottawa.

"This government must come up with real solutions to address job loss and the de-industrialization of our communities," said Devine. "People cannot be expected to uproot their families and move to another province because the Canadian government is sitting on its hands."

The auto parts sector employs about 90,000 people in Ontario and Quebec, accounting for $30 billion worth of goods and services annually.

Many parts makers have cut jobs or shut down plants in the face of a restructuring by General Motors, Ford Motor (NYSE: F) and Chrysler, which have been their main customers for decades.

Among auto parts companies that have cut production are:

-Seatmaker Lear Corp. (NYSE: LEA), which is shutting down a plant in Windsor, Ont., with the loss of more than 200 jobs.

-GDX International, a Michigan-based company, which plans factory closures that will put about 400 people out of work in Magog, Que., near Sherbrooke.

-ArvinMeritor (NYSE: ARM), which announced last fall it will shut down a 500-employee Toronto factory and shift the work to Mexico.

-The Nemak Essex aluminum plant, a joint venture of Ford and Nemak, is slated to close in spring 2009, eliminating 600 jobs in Windsor. The plant's production of cylinder heads is shifting to Mexico.

Martinrea shares were up 27 cents at $10.60 on the TSX Monday afternoon, with a 52-week range between $19.49 and $9.25.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada