HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 2:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Summer of 2022 when Bell upgraded our area of west London (Byron) to the new gigabit Fiber, they blanketed the area with people canvassing for new customers. We were already Bell customers at the time, so promos didn't apply to us. I did tell the guy the biggest sales tool they had was our local Facebook group and its daily posts of "Who's Rogers is down?".
Here in Hamilton we have Cogeco. I was at a Canadian Tire the other night and this girl came up to "ask me a question" -- wanted to know who my home internet provider is, and was disappointed that I'm already a Cogeco customer. There was a group of about 4 of them signing people up.

I was a Bell customer years ago, for home phone, before switching to phone service through the cable operator. For about 3 years, Bell would not leave me alone... mailings and phone calls and had I lived in a house not an apartment building I'm sure they would have shown up at the door. The last guy who called me was completely unprofessional -- it sounded like he was out with his buddies somewhere, kept trying to be familiar with me ("Hey man! Why don't you just come back to Bell? We'll give you a good deal" or something to that effect) I sent a complaint in and they left me alone after that.

Not doing business with Bell EVER again.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 2:38 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
that sucks, I've heard a lot of people who had similar being stuck in a resort while the rest of their family was able to leave. When we came back from Mexico in 2022 we arrived at 11:30 pm and at 12:00 am Canada was ending random testing at the airport so we thought we were good and the guy at immigration gives me a paper and says I was chose for a random covid test, trying to get that figured out was a pain on its own.

A new week now, mostly ok but having breathing issues such as heaviness and shortness, feel at times I want to cough something up but there is nothing to cough up. Very heavy in the lungs. I was reading the other night that most of the people who end up in the hospital do so in the week or 10 days after the initial symptoms pass but are left with breathing issues. Hopefully it passes, I don't want this to keep going.
Off topic for the thread, but I hope you feel better. When I had Covid the second time it took WEEKS before I could do anything without losing my breath. Cleared up just before a trip to Portugal, and good thing it did given all the hills in Lisbon that we traversed on foot. I'm still not at the lung capacity I used to be, but then I'm also getting older so there's that.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Probably a regional thing. Rogers went down all the time, Bell rarely ever.
Probably. In the city, Rogers is quite reliable. What I hate, and this applies to both Bell and Rogers is the annual haggling over a new contract, as if I were dealing with Earl's Used Cars rather than two billion-dollar corps.
We have a Bell landline up at the cottage, and it's a confounded joke, despite costing $60/month. Granted, we are at the ends of the Earth there, and probably not worth the cost for Bell to have a technician drive all the way out to us, but based on our experiences up there, it's a Mickey Mouse outfit. The line goes down when it rains.
We used to occasionally alternate between Bell and Rogers here in the city for all three services, depending on who was offering the better deal, but a few years ago we decided Bell had burned its last bridge with us. We have been quite satisfied with Rogers since.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 2:05 AM

In my experience (Ottawa), both are a pain in the arse, but Rogers is worse.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Probably a regional thing. Rogers went down all the time, Bell rarely ever.
My parents have been Rogers customers since they took over Maclean-Hunter 30 years ago, and they're Bell customers for phone and Internet.

I can't think of any issue they've ever had with Bell, aside from a crappy router at one point. Rogers on the other hand, ever since digital cable came in almost 20 years ago, there's been periodic problems. On one of their two TVs they can't get TVO for some reason, and Rogers has seemed unable to help.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 5:05 AM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 5:22 AM

The Weeknd - Can't Feel My Face

https://youtu.be/KEI4qSrkPAs?si=JXJMWcxp0dODlySr

Have a Spectacular weekend.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 9:26 PM
be nice to the crackheads

It's been five years since Vancouver's first legal cannabis shop opened.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 22, 2024, 11:33 PM

Norman Jewison, CC dead at age 97. One heck of a legacy.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Norman Jewison, CC dead at age 97. One heck of a legacy.
Wow, I didn't think he was that old. I went to look up something on him in Wikipedia and it said he wasn't Jewish, I always thought he was. You learn something new everyday.

I'm a big fan of the Archive of American Television interviews and find it interesting to hear how Canadian talent was "discovered" Here are some quick clips (cued) of some big players talking about Norman.

Michael Dann on wanting Norman Jewison to direct Your Hit Parade
Perry Lafferty on producing Your Hit Parade, directed by Norman Jewison
Bernie Orenstein on his first television writing job, which was on an early Canadian variety show produced by Norman Jewison called The Barris Beat

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:34 AM

Video Link

lol @ this comment:
@paulmaloney2383
3 months ago
My friend stayed there for a while and when I asked him how the summers were , he said, "I don't know I was only there for 11 months".

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:42 PM

Waterloo Region police are investigating the theft of $70,000 worth of pistachios on the weekend. They reported that it was the second nuts-related theft in the Region in recent months...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2024, 1:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Video Link

lol @ this comment:
@paulmaloney2383
3 months ago
My friend stayed there for a while and when I asked him how the summers were , he said, "I don't know I was only there for 11 months".
Good video. I'd love to visit. NFLD/Lab is the only province that I have yet to visit. One day...

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 3:56 AM

Laval greenlights construction of massive film studio project

City officials have approved the rezoning of a massive swath of farmland on the eastern side of the island to construct a collection of film studios, including one that will be among North America's biggest.

Laval Mayor Stephane Boyer said the $200 million Trudel Studios (Cité du cinéma) project will employ around 100 permanent workers(opens in a new tab) in addition to dozens of contract workers, extras, caterers and other personnel when big productions are ongoing.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 4:26 AM
Ham-burgher

I watched this series about Montreal this week (available on Prime or one can watch on the filmmaker's website). It has many really great historical photos and videos, and I thought it told quite interesting stories.

While narrated in English the interviews are French with subtitles.

https://www.paulcarvalho.com/montreal-history-series
https://www.primevideo.com/detail/Mo...5EUBM0NA7614F2

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 5:08 AM

Our God is an Awesome God......

https://youtu.be/38V8jnN1Kpw?si=ivZopgUys2WjvbC2

100th Meridian...The Hip....

https://youtu.be/BCFo0a8V-Ag?si=faLo1E8oldgbSW8g

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:18 PM

Cuts at Bell Media

It's that time of year again, Bell Media is making cuts:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bce-cuts-1.7108658

Of note, they are selling 45 radio stations, mostly in BC but also in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes. They're being sold to smaller broadcasters; for example the stations in BC are all being sold to Vista Radio, which is based in BC while their stations in Peterborough are going to Durham Radio, which owns Rock 94.9 in Oshawa.

On the television side, among other things, they're cancelling all CTV noon newscasts across the country except for Toronto, and most weekend newscasts are being cut, except for Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. The weekend cuts will leave a void in parts of Ontario where CTV has the only local TV news.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 10:44 PM

The news cuts are going to annoy Maritimers even more I think. We're already pissed at CTV for cutting into the ATV Mainstay "LiveAtFive" program. Having local weekend news at 6 is (was) a common habit of my parents and many others to see what's going on locally. They do NOT like watching Toronto news over and over again; if they wanted that they would watch NewsNet.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 12:46 AM

I could handle them getting rid of their Pure Country midday host from Nashville who pretends she's not in Nashville.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada