HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSS View Post
Bribery is being used as a derogatory term. Please stop.

Respect.
Truth. It's quite understandable for First Nations to be obdurate in the face of requests from the colonial culture. After lifetimes of being forced to bend over backwards (to put it very, very lightly), no one else really has the right to criticize the meeting of their terms.

Hating on Tsawassen Mills or what is going to happen to the UBC golf course? I'm sorry but after all the screwed up things that have happened in this country, no one has the right to judge. Focus your criticism elsewhere.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Truth. It's quite understandable for First Nations to be obdurate in the face of requests from the colonial culture. After lifetimes of being forced to bend over backwards (to put it very, very lightly), no one else really has the right to criticize the meeting of their terms.

Hating on Tsawassen Mills or what is going to happen to the UBC golf course? I'm sorry but after all the screwed up things that have happened in this country, no one has the right to judge. Focus your criticism elsewhere.
Kind of sounds like you are telling people (in sort of a wishy washy pc way) they are not allowed to have the opinions they have. Everyone has the right to judge and everyone does like it or not.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Hating on Tsawassen Mills [...] I'm sorry but after all the screwed up things that have happened in this country, no one has the right to judge. Focus your criticism elsewhere.
I refuse.

There are a tremendous number of planning, transportation, and environmental issues associated with this project, and First Nations land ownership and joint-venture development of the project does not make it immune from criticism.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 1:40 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:

Respect.
Don't tell me the intent of my words. I think it's terrible that both bridges were built through the reserves. So tired of people looking for something to be offended by.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 1:59 AM

Quote:

Wow! Absolutely not. We can't criticize those projects because it's on Indian land??? That will never happen! We criticize every project! to then treat their projects differently would be discriminatory. I'm not going to treat them differently

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
Kind of sounds like you are telling people (in sort of a wishy washy pc way) they are not allowed to have the opinions they have. Everyone has the right to judge and everyone does like it or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
I refuse.

There are a tremendous number of planning, transportation, and environmental issues associated with this project, and First Nations land ownership and joint-venture development of the project does not make it immune from criticism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Don't tell me the intent of my words. I think it's terrible that both bridges were built through the reserves. So tired of people looking for something to be offended by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Wow! Absolutely not. We can't criticize those projects because it's on Indian land??? That will never happen! We criticize every project! to then treat their projects differently would be discriminatory. I'm not going to treat them differently
I agree with the above responses. The "Politically Correct" movement has appointed itself as sort of a "thought police," in which
people are only allowed to express their their opinions within a cadre of "accepted" thinking.
This goes totally against freedom of expression, and should IMO be called out whenever it occurs. This is not North Korea, nor the old Soviet Union.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 5:58 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:

Respect.
Alleging bribery implies corruption on both sides.
I think he didn't mean criminal bribery, but the kind of carrot and stick politics where one party waits for the best deal, and other party slowly adds more incentives until they can't wait any longer.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Alleging bribery implies corruption on both sides.
I think he didn't mean criminal bribery, but the kind of carrot and stick politics where one party waits for the best deal, and other party slowly adds more incentives until they can't wait any longer.
That's negotiation. Those who have what the other want; we see it everywhere. Government vs teachers, employers vs unions/employees, home owners vs home buyers etc.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2015, 8:27 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
That's negotiation. Those who have what the other want; we see it everywhere. Government vs teachers, employers vs unions/employees, home owners vs home buyers etc.
Quote:
That part is through a native reserve so they're probably unable to widen it to modern standards without years of negotiation/bribery.
Bottom line, you played the race card for no reason and derailed this thread.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 2:22 AM
See ya down under, mates

Somewhat on topic, I had to go into work around 5pm today and was 30 minutes late due to highway 1 traffic. My commute is usually eight minutes long and doesn't even involve the highway, but I had no way to get past the long, unmoving lines on the feeder streets.

I thought I had solved my traffic problem by taking this job near home, but it's unavoidable.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:46 AM
Vancouver Bus Driver

Quote:
Somewhat on topic, I had to go into work around 5pm today and was 30 minutes late due to highway 1 traffic. My commute is usually eight minutes long and doesn't even involve the highway, but I had no way to get past the long, unmoving lines on the feeder streets.

I thought I had solved my traffic problem by taking this job near home, but it's unavoidable.
If able bodied, teh bike is ur friend :0

Still I am sad the traffic is this bad. It hurts transit riders too. Everyone is hurting.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2015, 5:55 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
If able bodied, teh bike is ur friend :0

Still I am sad the traffic is this bad. It hurts transit riders too. Everyone is hurting.
Not really fit enough at the moment, though finally back at the gym. My bike being stolen out of my condo this summer and my work removing the safe lock up room makes it implausible though, even if I pretend the weather and homicidal drivers are not a concern.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 5:19 AM

The new Keith bridge is coming along nicely. Looks like they've shored up the base, installed vertical support beams on either side of the river and are soon to install retaining walls for the south two lanes. I assume very late this year or early next year the first two lanes will open so they can decommission the old bridge and build the next two lanes.

As for the Phillip Ave overpass: base is nearly set, foam blocks have been brought in and are staged, and the arch is currently being assembled nearby.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Bottom line, you played the race card for no reason and derailed this thread.
Actually, you played the race card through inference. You tacked on the term "bribery" which the vernacular is used to discredit first nations people as people willing to accept a buyout than one who negotiates with mutual interests in mind for both parties. I don't think anyone would care, so long as you stand behind your freedom of expression than attempt to hide it. Anyway, back on topic, the traffic is not going to improve for at least a couple years. I have driven through that section during unassuming hours of the weekdays and ran into problems. It really comes down to volume and the current infrastructure inadequate.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:26 AM
See ya down under, mates

Again, don't tell me the intent of my own words. I think all people in power are inherently corrupt, had nothing to do with race.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Actually, you played the race card through inference. You tacked on the term "bribery" which the vernacular is used to discredit first nations people as people willing to accept a buyout than one who negotiates with mutual interests in mind for both parties. I don't think anyone would care, so long as you stand behind your freedom of expression than attempt to hide it. Anyway, back on topic, the traffic is not going to improve for at least a couple years. I have driven through that section during unassuming hours of the weekdays and ran into problems. It really comes down to volume and the current infrastructure inadequate.
Just a heads up someone just used the word "bribe" in the office market discussion thread. You should probably head over there and accuse them of racism.

Sorry for the off topic.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 6:06 AM
See ya down under, mates

Trudeau/Wilkinson/Beech winning is good news for this stretch due to the aforementioned promise to replace/widen the Lynn Creek Hwy 1 bridge asap.

Quote:
Last week Justin Trudeau made specific mention of the need for a comprehensive approach to addressing the congestion issue on Highway #1 in North Vancouver. In listing off some examples of the kind of local transportation infrastructure needs a Liberal government would address if elected October 19th, he cited the 55 year old Lynn Creek Bridge
https://jonathanwilkinson.liberal.ca...s-do-it-right/

Conservatives weren't going to do it until 2025.

Also signs are up for the interchange work

@jthornwaite

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 6:08 AM

I hope someone at Liberals is keeping track of all the promises given. Or then municipalities have to be reminding them.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 6:58 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I hope someone at Liberals is keeping track of all the promises given. Or then municipalities have to be reminding them.
I'm hoping the social media age will pressure them to be more accountable than politicians used to be. Everything they said is now preserved and easily retrievable forever, and people can organize to put the squeeze on them if they flake out.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 10:28 PM
ON3P Skis

Forgot that I took a couple photos one evening a little over a week ago (October 8th) while on my bike in the area. Sorry for the quality, low light + iPhone isn't the greatest.

Keith Rd Lynn Creek Bridge 2
by Alex Wren, on Flickr

Keith Rd Lynn Creek Bridge 1
by Alex Wren, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure