HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These are sensible views, but not sure they are the same as mine.

I don't think the city and police are siding with the protestors at all.

I think they are scrambling right now.

Then I misunderstood your statement:

Quote:
Since yesterday I've been trying hard to cover up Peter Sloly and Jim Watson's blatant white supremacism and allyship with the truckers [my emphasis],

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sounds like a case for Twitter mods and also the police.
It gets better!

https://twitter.com/AlexanderQuon/st...39543894478849

Guy is still a sitting MPP.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
Then I misunderstood your statement:
Sorry, I was being sarcastic.

I think the idea that Jim Watson or Peter Sloly are in cahoots with or sympathetic to the truckers is ridiculous.

(And I don't think they ever have been.)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It gets better!

https://twitter.com/AlexanderQuon/st...39543894478849

Guy is still a sitting MPP.
With an excellent chance of being re-elected!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:42 PM

As I write --the petition has passed the 27000 mark.

https://www.change.org/p/ottawa-poli...reedom-convoy/

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:03 PM
ハルウララ

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:06 PM

After the noise complaints sent earlier this week today I sent a complaint to the City for allowing parking in fire lanes fire hydrants all week. Sent complaint to police for officers allowing protestors to drive down the wrong side of the street and many more.

This week-end going to be shit show as I watch from my high rise.

Lots of room on Parliament Hill and for decades there have been demonstrations which I support. But now the anti-vaxers say for their freedom they can protest any way they want. Go figure.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 5:33 PM
Busy Beaver

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
Do you really think AOC is advocating for targeted harassment, racist provocations, and threats of violence when she says the “…point of protesting is to make ppl uncomfortable.”? Serious question.
Yeah, that's such bad-faith it's not even funny.

"Make people uncomfortable" about their policies and views, not subject innocent citizens to what is, without a doubt, psychological torture.

The arms of the law need to be very long in tracking down everyone, from the head cheese to the horn-blowers, and throwing everything in the federal, provincial, and municipal statute book at them.

EV
ER
Y
THING

This is NOT a protest.

People need to understand that.

This. Is. Not. A. Protest.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Yeah, that's such bad-faith it's not even funny.

"Make people uncomfortable" about their policies and views, not subject innocent citizens to what is, without a doubt, psychological torture.

The arms of the law need to be very long in tracking down everyone, from the head cheese to the horn-blowers, and throwing everything in the federal, provincial, and municipal statute book at them.

EV
ER
Y
THING

This is NOT a protest.

People need to understand that.

This. Is. Not. A. Protest.
I've already demonstrated and there is plenty of other evidence out there that AOC has a "you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs" view when it comes to such things.

Don't disagree with the rest of your post.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 7:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Been watching some of the comments from upper levels of government in the past 24 hours and boy Jim Watson and Peter Sloly must fuming at them as much as they're fuming at the honkers.

The message is pretty clear: Ottawa, you're mostly on your own for this.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 9:38 PM

From Global News

Quote:
A parliamentary committee has called on GoFundMe representatives to testify about how it ensures that money raised on its platform isn’t used to promote hate, such as antisemitism and white supremacy.

New Democrat MP Alistair MacGregor won the unanimous approval today of the House of Commons public safety committee to invite representatives from the crowdfunding website to answer questions about its security measures to ensure its funds are not used to promote extremism.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 9:47 PM
BANNED

A whole lotta these posts aren’t going to age well when the next disruptive radical left wing protest inevitably happens lol smh

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Nimby View Post
A whole lotta these posts aren’t going to age well when the next disruptive radical left wing protest inevitably happens lol smh
If there is one that is even remotely as disruptive, I would agree with you. But I have yet to see any protest for any cause that rivals this in terms of the ongoing harassment of huge numbers of residents. (And for the record, I though the train protest should have been removed immediately.)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
If there is one that is even remotely as disruptive, I would agree with you. But I have yet to see any protest for any cause that rivals this in terms of the ongoing harassment of huge numbers of residents. (And for the record, I though the train protest should have been removed immediately.)
The point I’m trying to make transcends borders. I’m pointing to ideological divisions and the resulting hypocrisy when it comes to tolerance for disruptive activism. On principle, if you’re tolerant of say the blm violence in the 2020 US protests yet outraged by the nuisance of the trucker protest in Canada you’re being an intellectually lazy hypocrite. So yes, I’ll bet you any money there will be a disruptive radical left wing protest on the horizon somewhere and I bet there will be Canadians who go into full ideological echo chamber mode regardless of the location.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:16 PM
National Capital Region

I'm not so worried about the Ottawa Police... Why haven't we heard from UNESCO?

https://twitter.com/AnnieClaireBO/st...NleDI5d4A&s=19

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:35 PM

Quote:
The point I’m trying to make transcends borders. I’m pointing to ideological divisions and the resulting hypocrisy when it comes to tolerance for disruptive activism. On principle, if you’re tolerant of say the blm violence in the 2020 US protests yet outraged by the nuisance of the trucker protest in Canada you’re being an intellectually lazy hypocrite. So yes, I’ll bet you any money there will be a disruptive radical left wing protest on the horizon somewhere and I bet there will be Canadians who go into full ideological echo chamber mode regardless of the location.
Point taken, people are always more tolerant of protests that align with their own principles. But I do think that all protests are not created equally, and this protest is demonstrably different from anything we've seen before in Canada, both in duration and the level of harassment of regular people going about their business (which I've seen firsthand in the Glebe, and we are getting a fraction of what Centretown is). People are right to be more tolerant of a peaceful occupation of a park (for example) than whatever this is.

I think the BLM protests are a bit of a strawman in the sense that it's hard to compare someone's reaction to reports of protests taking place in another country to something that directly affects them. The current occupation is enraging people in this city across the political spectrum.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
I think the BLM protests are a bit of a strawman in the sense that it's hard to compare someone's reaction to reports of protests taking place in another country to something that directly affects them. The current occupation is enraging people in this city across the political spectrum.
I would agree if the contempt aimed at this protest originated only from those who live in downtown Ottawa. Ideological hypocrisy transcends geography.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I'm legitimately confused by your post. Who in this forum said that damage/violence that occurred as a result of BLM protests in the US (from those on the right or left) was good while at the same time saying that whatever's happening in Ottawa right now is bad? Maybe I missed that post?

Just as an FYI, the topic of violence at BLM protests has been studied in the US and the resulting data indicates that overall, violence was relatively low given the size and number of protests. Mainstream media outlets haven't done a good job of reporting this, which is no shock.

When violence did occur, it was mostly targeted at BLM protesters by police and counterprotesters. Yes, property was damaged and people were hurt on both sides but to suggest that the "radical left" was out there destroying everything is false (from what I've read).

Also, who are you referring to when you say "radical left"?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
I'm not so worried about the Ottawa Police... Why haven't we heard from UNESCO?

https://twitter.com/AnnieClaireBO/st...NleDI5d4A&s=19
No building permit?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy