HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 4:01 PM

Early on, I talked to one of the planners for Westside.

I asked him where the tennis courts were. He said Atlanta already had a lot of tennis courts. I think it's a mistake not to emphasize a strength, in this case the largest tennis community in the country. It ties people and neighborhoods together. It's hardly a space issue at that park.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 4:18 PM

Well, is there any money for swimming pools and tennis courts and what-have-you. Somebody has got to take care of all that once it is built up and keep the place safe and whatnot. Not to mention the bathrooms which they say run millions these days, plus the people to clean them out?

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 1:11 PM
I've been around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
I asked him where the tennis courts were. He said Atlanta already had a lot of tennis courts.
That have been before the latest plans, since the park plan has tennis courts in the upper-right corner labeled "court sports".

I really hope they just failed to mark a swimming area on the reservoir. I don't think it needs a swimming pool if neighborhood parks have them, but that lake will probably be nice and refreshing to dive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Not to mention the bathrooms which they say run millions these days, plus the people to clean them out?
Can make them coin-op NYC and London style.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:32 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
\
I really hope they just failed to mark a swimming area on the reservoir.
I think I remember them saying on a beltline tour that the reservior, for liability reasons, would be completely fenced off with the only acess being a viewing platform.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Can make them coin-op NYC and London style.
Can you imagine really having to go and then realizing at the door you're out of change?

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 12:35 PM

The Bocce Ball courts and the area with the large wooden awning are now open at Piedmont Park. The area looks really nice.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinatl View Post
Can you imagine really having to go and then realizing at the door you're out of change?
Well, maybe they can put a credit card on them like they do the parking meters.

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 4:25 PM

"...the Tony Hawk Foundation Board of Directors voted last week to award Atlanta BeltLine, Inc. $25,000 to help complete the 15,000-square-foot skatepark [at Fourth Ward Park]."

It is by far the largest of 19 grants the foundation awarded this year.

http://www.tonyhawkfoundation.org/ne...tepark-grants/

Old Posted May 6, 2010, 5:29 PM

Love it!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 6:07 PM

Well here's something on that situation down there in Buckhead but I'm not sure what they are saying.

Park meeting raises bigger design ideas

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Well here's something on that situation down there in Buckhead but I'm not sure what they are saying.

Park meeting raises bigger design ideas
I LOVE IT!!! love love love it!!! I drive this all the time and this intersection needs help. I am all for it!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 11:39 PM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrek777 View Post
I LOVE IT!!! love love love it!!! I drive this all the time and this intersection needs help. I am all for it!
I would love if if they would depress the road a little and create a land bridge between the two parks to make them more usable, but that won't be likely to happen.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2010, 3:32 PM

Well, here is a thing that says people was getting beat up and shots at some movie down at Piedmont Park. One says a woman didn't get a chicken sandwich so a bunch of them started fighting and then men got into it and beat people up who was just passing by and so forth.

You can understand people wanting a free sandwich but why go wild over it.

Next Screen on the Green Postponed

Mayor vows thorough review of ‘Screen on the Green' security

Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 3:58 AM

Well, I don't know where to put this but a man down in Screven caught a 85 lb catfish, which is something people interested in the outdoors would probably want to know.

http://www.ajc.com/news/south-georgi...xtype=rss_news

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 10:23 PM

Well, here is a thing that says they are building up something at the zoo for the bush dogs and what have you. I guess they will have a good home which is more than you can say for a lots of the people in this town.

http://whatnowatlanta.com/2010/08/24/zoo-atlanta/

Last edited by cybele; Aug 24, 2010 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Well, here is a thing that says they are building up something at the zoo for the bush dogs and what have you. I guess they will have a good home which is more than you can say for a lots of the people in this town.

http://whatnowatlanta.com/2010/08/24/zoo-atlanta/

I understand some homeless advocates made the same argument, so the zoo's next exhibit in the primate section will be homeless people; sort of like that Roddy McDowell Twilight Zone where the aliens put him in a zoo at the end. They'll at least get a shelter, and they'll have those bubble gum machine thingies where kids can put in 50 cents and get homeless treats to throw at them.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:48 PM

Anyone know the timetable for the carousel at Piedmont Park.

Just came across this article. Sounds like a fascinating restoration and history.

Horsin’ Around

"PTC-53 has a mysterious past, of which only bits and pieces are known, but that’s not unusual in this industry. In 1958 there were about 7,000 wooden carousels in the U.S., but that number shrank to 150 by 1985, Ellis said. Urban development pushed out traditional amusement parks, and collectors bought up the highly prized carved wooden animals as they were replaced by fiberglass and metal figurines."

PTC-53

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Anyone know the timetable for the carousel at Piedmont Park.

Just came across this article. Sounds like a fascinating restoration and history.

Horsin’ Around

"PTC-53 has a mysterious past, of which only bits and pieces are known, but that’s not unusual in this industry. In 1958 there were about 7,000 wooden carousels in the U.S., but that number shrank to 150 by 1985, Ellis said. Urban development pushed out traditional amusement parks, and collectors bought up the highly prized carved wooden animals as they were replaced by fiberglass and metal figurines."

PTC-53
That is really cool. I didn't even know they are doing that. Where in the park is it suppose to go?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 1:41 AM

It was supposed to be where the surface lot used to be.

They have a new, less detailed rendering of the expansion on the website. It doesn't mention it.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:36 PM

Quote:
It was supposed to be where the surface lot used to be.

They have a new, less detailed rendering of the expansion on the website. It doesn't mention it.
Fellow forum members - I would ask each of you to consider making a donation to the Piedmont Park Conservancy to help insure it has the funds necessary to complete the plans for the the park's expansion. In this economic environment, donations have shrunk and the Conservancy has been forced to reconsider its expansion plans. You may donate at the Conservancy's website: www.piedmontpark.org. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta