HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:08 PM

SLC to MCO (Orlando) flight announced on Jetblue starting Nov 12.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:16 PM

Excellent! A straight shot to Harry Potter land for me next year!

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Thats awesome. I have been hoping for a while that Jetblue would expand beyond only New York & Long Beach for Salt Lake.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Cha-ching!!

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 10:32 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Seeing more pre-construction set ups. Those construction trailers are now having decks/walk ways build around each of them. Those trailers could be here for the next ten years and this set up looks long term.
Also, I notice there's a red crane ( laying down ) just west of where the Hertz Rent-A-Car lot is. Not sure if something is going to get built there, or it's just a place to store the crane for the time being.
Also, Most of the Car Rentals overflow ( where the dirt lot south of the long term parking lot ) have been moved else where to clear out that site for the new Rent-A-Car Lots construction that should break ground around this summer.
Also, notice there's something going up just behind the Police Station. Not sure what.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
Thats awesome. I have been hoping for a while that Jetblue would expand beyond only New York & Long Beach for Salt Lake.
They did have flights to LAS, SFO, and SAN for a while, but they didn't last long

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:59 PM

Quote:
This is something incredible! Elder Price will be ecstatic!

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:25 PM

^^^^^ ha ha, good one.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 7:24 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Beams.........me looking.......police

A little bit of action tonight at the international airport. First I notice a few beams sticking out of the ground over at the west parking lot. ( parking lot behind the Hertz rent a car lot ) For the past week or so there has been a crane on that empty lot and tonight I found two groups of beams 5 or 6 sticking in the ground. I went to get a closer look, but stayed outside the cones and fenced areas. These beams look to be around 12-20 FT tall and were round. As I walk around the area I heard a yell........HEY!!! Here comes the police with one hand on the Taser. "Oh boy" I was thinking. The three of them wanted to know what I was up to. So basically, I told them I am a building nerd and that I get a hard on when I see new development. Lucky for me, these cops were cool and understanding. They just wanted to know what I was doing in that area and in a post 9-11 world they feared the worst out of me at first I guess. a guy wearing black, walking around after midnight taking a few pictures didn't look good I guess wasn't the smartest move, but I didn't break any laws so they sent me on my way. I guess I won't do that again. I joked with them saying these next ten years we might see a lot of each other.
Anyways............after returning to my place of work I went on my phone to look up the overall future map of the new airport. Those two groups of beams I saw look to be right where the future parking garage ( of at least the west haft of it anyways ) so........maybe I just waitness the start of the building of the new parking garage or they're just taking earth samples. Just my best guess. Maybe Skyguy can fill us in with anything I might of missed.
So there you all go. Looks like the airport development could be underway.

Last edited by SLC Projects; May 9, 2014 at 8:22 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 4:56 PM
Wen Lambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
A little bit of action tonight at the international airport. First I notice a few beams sticking out of the ground over at the west parking lot. ( parking lot behind the Hertz rent a car lot ) For the past week or so there has been a crane on that empty lot and tonight I found two groups of beams 5 or 6 sticking in the ground. I went to get a closer look, but stayed outside the cones and fenced areas. These beams look to be around 12-20 FT tall and were round. As I walk around the area I heard a yell........HEY!!! Here comes the police with one hand on the Taser. "Oh boy" I was thinking. The three of them wanted to know what I was up to. So basically, I told them I am a building nerd and that I get a hard on when I see new development. Lucky for me, these cops were cool and understanding. They just wanted to know what I was doing in that area and in a post 9-11 world they feared the worst out of me at first I guess. a guy wearing black, walking around after midnight taking a few pictures didn't look good I guess wasn't the smartest move, but I didn't break any laws so they sent me on my way. I guess I won't do that again. I joked with them saying these next ten years we might see a lot of each other.
Anyways............after returning to my place of work I went on my phone to look up the overall future map of the new airport. Those two groups of beams I saw look to be right where the future parking garage ( of at least the west haft of it anyways ) so........maybe I just waitness the start of the building of the new parking garage or they're just taking earth samples. Just my best guess. Maybe Skyguy can fill us in with anything I might of missed.
So there you all go. Looks like the airport development could be underway.
Did they look like they might be pylon's? I would imagine that the water table is fairly high near the airport and maybe they have to drive pylons into the ground to firm it up a bit before adding the new structure(s)?

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 11:24 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
Did they look like they might be pylon's? I would imagine that the water table is fairly high near the airport and maybe they have to drive pylons into the ground to firm it up a bit before adding the new structure(s)?
That could be a possibility being right by the great Salt Lake and all. It was hard to tell late at night. All the website says is that right now crews are taking "earth samples" and setting up trailers.
Either way this is getting exciting finally seeing action taking place here at the airport after years of talk.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 11:23 PM

Transit junkie here who's not farmiliar with the renderings and all... Does anyone know if the TRAX station will end within the airport (like enclosed in the airport), will it be extended, or will it remain the same and stay outside the airport? If it does go in the airport, how far in and will you essentially be able to get off the train on to carpet/tile and walk around the concourse/terminal (whatever it's called)? Thank you!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
They did have flights to LAS, SFO, and SAN for a while, but they didn't last long
Yes, they all tried, but it didn't work out well. They couldn't survive for any much longer. It was too much competitive against Delta & Southwest.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Yes, they all tried, but it didn't work out well. They couldn't survive for any much longer. It was too much competitive against Delta & Southwest.
Which will be interesting to see if Alaska can compete...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Transit junkie here who's not farmiliar with the renderings and all... Does anyone know if the TRAX station will end within the airport (like enclosed in the airport), will it be extended, or will it remain the same and stay outside the airport? If it does go in the airport, how far in and will you essentially be able to get off the train on to carpet/tile and walk around the concourse/terminal (whatever it's called)? Thank you!

The new trax staion will be built in the parking garage across from the main entrance. Right in the front of the garage, so leaving the terminal via skybridge you will turn immediatly to the left, and viola. As for the flooring, I have no idea what it will be. UTA hasn't built an indoor station yet, so I have no precident to go by.
Hope that answers your question...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 3:18 AM

LOL, It took me a second, but I wondered if Viola was an official greeter.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 6:22 AM
The Drifter

Quote:
Which will be interesting to see if Alaska can compete...
We will see in time but I do have to say they sure are trying to get the word out as I hear the adds on the radio all the time about the Alaska flights.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
LOL, It took me a second, but I wondered if Viola was an official greeter.

I looked back at the renderings afterwards, and I'm beginning to doubt the TRAX station will be indoors. It looks - to my untrained eye - like it is a separate structure that just happens to be very close to the parking garage.
So I'm changing my answer: Cross the skybridge from the terminal to the parking garage, turn left then left again and go to the outdoor platform - which will almost certainly be made of concrete.

The site plan (bottom) shows that the TRAX station will be located where the TRAX cars are parked in the picture (above). But the picture does not show a station - and it also shows only one track. Obviously UTA will want two tracks, just like everywhere else... So while the picture represents the terminal building well, it's pretty clear they don't know what UTA will do with the TRAX.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 4:28 PM
Exurb Enjoyer

I didn't see this link posted here and found it last night. You can follow the SLC Airport rebuild here (it's like the UTA construction page they did for the Airport TRAX extension).

http://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc.asp

They have an updated timeline for the schedule for the construction and different dates for design finalizations.

My advice to everyone here is to shelf your enthusiasm for the airport rebuild until the second quarter of 2015 when we get the new terminal design. Construction won't begin in a meaningful way until 2016 :/

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jun 17, 2014 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 9:21 PM

Looking at that picture I hope they have plans for how Trax will work once the terminus is no longer at the airport, but rather continues on down the MVC, at least I think that is the long term plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West