HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1 Journal Squared in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:14 PM

This is now one floor above grade. 53 more to go. I'll be better about snapping pics as I use the Journal Square PATH daily.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:50 AM

Above street level!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
No. I'm being a NIMBY on this one. I just think its a downright farfetched proposal. I hope the developer proves me wrong but I think this development would be better suited for the waterfront.

My girlfriends mom is was born and raised in Jersey City and even she said that is ridiculous for the area.
Quote:
I'm sorry but I agree... I hope I'm wrong but I think this developer is completely shooting for the stars and will ultimately come up empty... I smell fail all over this project, but I could be wrong. Something this large of scale should be on the Jersey City Waterfront... Something this big there is COMPLETELY out of scale and will look ridiculous. Maybe something around 300-400 feet would be much more appropriate for the area.
Quote:
Sooooooo residents of Jersey City are actually telling me that they think this development is appropriate for the area? I think it is EXTREMELY out of scale and out of touch with the neighborhood. It's just the developer shooting for an extreme return on investment. 70 stories?! Most of the buildings in this area are 2 or 3 floors. There are very few highrises let alone midrises in the area.

This development should be along the waterfront and on this site should be maybe a 300 or 400 foot tower. MUCH more appropriate for the area. This is just completely ridiculous looking

Good city planning is building to critical mass, than building up... not building a 70 story tower when the area is not built to critical mass... IMO I think this will saturate the market for a few years and Phase 2 and 3 will never get built.

This is just as farfetched as the Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn by Forest City Ratner.

If this development was on the waterfront I'd be all for it... but here?! Crazy I tell ya
Quote:
No need to be rude. Do you know anything about urban development? Because it is clear you don't. When in an area with low highrise density, it is important not to over saturate the area with a development too large. I understand that it is close to a transit hub linking it to Manhattan, but even so, there is a limited market of people willing to live in Jersey City... most people who can't afford Manhattan just opt for Brooklyn. Even Jersey City is becoming extremely expensive these days and it has an uncertain future. Like I said, something in the 300-400 foot range would be a better bet and a much more financially stable project. There is to live in Journal Square, but there is a bigger desire to live on the Jersey City waterfront... there is already an established highrise community there instead of one just trying to get off the ground. This development could singlehandedly destroy that momentum. This should be proposed on the waterfront and a smaller development should be proposed here.

IDK if you just don't understand this or if you are just being short sighted because the height of the building is making you drool.
Yawn...

From Urban_Nerdin at SSC

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 4:33 PM

Podium done. Tower started!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 3:20 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:45 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Going up! Journal Squared construction in Jersey City

By Patrick Villanova | The Jersey Journal
on August 27, 2015 at 1:02 PM, updated August 27, 2015 at 3:30 PM

Quote:
The project received a 30-year tax abatement from the city in November 2013. The first of three phases, topping out at 54 stories, is expected to be complete in mid-2016. About 19 floors are currently built.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:34 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

soon that funeral home is gonna have to have a funeral for itself!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 7:20 PM

Haha, yeah it's definitely out of place for the zoning of other buildings in the area. But there's a lot of time to grow into that Journal Square 2060 Redevelopment plan.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 11:15 PM

Already visible from Manhattan as seen in this picture of dc_denizen published in the thread of Urban Ready Living (or at least I think it is this building, I am pretty sure it is)

You can see it on the right side, with the crane, in the area where the Downtown JC skyline ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
well this is a very similar shot:

Untitled by dc_denizen, on Flickr

An enlargment of the picture.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 3:42 AM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 4:23 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

A lot of these buildings going up in JC have massive parking garages...am I the only one bothered by it?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
A lot of these buildings going up in JC have massive parking garages...am I the only one bothered by it?
Agreed Nexis. They certainly don't add to the aesthetics of the building but as long as they have ground floor commercial space to add to the walkability it helps. It's a big improvement over the early downtown towers that had no commercial space and created those concrete deadzones where the parking decks were.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 9:07 PM

Agreed. As long as there is retail along the base, I don't mind the parking. While mass transit is ok in JC, it's not great, so having a car is important for most residents. Also, it pushes the buildings taller so no complaints there either!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:56 PM

As seen from the 57th floor of the recently topped out URL Harborside.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ilding_in.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 1:18 AM

That view will contain an amazing cluster of buildings once everything currently on the books is finished (in 2025?).

One Journal Square (City Center Towers) I | residential | 70 floors | approved
Journal Squared Tower III | residential | 70 floors | approved
Journal Squared Tower II | residential | 60 floors | approved
One Journal Square (City Center Towers) II | residential | 56 floors | approved
Journal Squared Tower I | residential | 56 floors | under construction
30 Journal Square Plaza | residential | 50 floors | proposed
Harwood I | residential | 45 floors | proposed
500 Summit, Journal Square | residential | 42 floors | proposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
As seen from the 57th floor of the recently topped out URL Harborside.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ilding_in.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 7:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 7:53 AM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:20 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me

Little hard to see but its the tower u/c to the right of WTC1, in the foreground closes to the frame of reference.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 5:05 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive