HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:35 PM

Hmm, no commitment to Pacific Centre though.

Maison Simons to Open Stores at CF Toronto Eaton Centre and Yorkdale in Former Nordstrom Spaces
By Craig Patterson
Date: June 6, 2024

Quebec City-based retailer La Maison Simons has announced that it will open two stores in Toronto in the fall of 2025. One will be downtown at the CF Toronto Eaton Centre and the other at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre. It’s part of a $75 million investment by Simons that will see the retailer further penetrate the Canadian market with a presence in the largest and wealthiest city in the country.

Bernard Leblanc, CEO of Simons, said that the lease deals to open the two Toronto stores were “decades in the making”, and that the opportunity to finally open in those malls was made possible following Nordstrom’s exit from Canada. The large retail boxes with expansive floor plates became available following Nordstrom’s closure last year, providing landlords the opportunity to secure Simons and other retailers as a tenants. ...

...Toronto was specifically targeted, according to Leblanc, because it’s the second largest online market in Canada for Simons. The Toronto area was vastly under-served by La Maison Simons, with just one store at Square One in Mississauga. The Montreal market, which is smaller and less affluent than Toronto, is home to five productive Simons stores, he noted. The Square One store also saw a 3% increase in sales in its fiscal year — and while the store has helped somewhat to increase brand awareness for Simons in the GTA, its location was too remote for most who live in the region and frequent other malls....

...Leblanc wouldn’t confirm rumours that La Maison Simons would open a downtown Vancouver store in part of the 230,000 square foot three-level Nordstrom building that was once home to an Eaton’s store. Sources had told Retail Insider that there was a possibility that La Maison Simons could take part of the former Nordstrom space at CF Pacific Centre, along with other retailers. We’ll follow up on this story when we learn more.

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...dstrom-spaces/

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
IIRC, a Time Out Market will be part of the new Oakridge in Vancouver.
Will be 10-20 years behind cities like Toronto, Calgary and Montreal by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Hmm, no commitment to Pacific Centre though.

Maison Simons to Open Stores at CF Toronto Eaton Centre and Yorkdale in Former Nordstrom Spaces
By Craig Patterson
Date: June 6, 2024

Quebec City-based retailer La Maison Simons has announced that it will open two stores in Toronto in the fall of 2025. One will be downtown at the CF Toronto Eaton Centre and the other at the Yorkdale Shopping Centre. It’s part of a $75 million investment by Simons that will see the retailer further penetrate the Canadian market with a presence in the largest and wealthiest city in the country.

Bernard Leblanc, CEO of Simons, said that the lease deals to open the two Toronto stores were “decades in the making”, and that the opportunity to finally open in those malls was made possible following Nordstrom’s exit from Canada. The large retail boxes with expansive floor plates became available following Nordstrom’s closure last year, providing landlords the opportunity to secure Simons and other retailers as a tenants. ...

...Toronto was specifically targeted, according to Leblanc, because it’s the second largest online market in Canada for Simons. The Toronto area was vastly under-served by La Maison Simons, with just one store at Square One in Mississauga. The Montreal market, which is smaller and less affluent than Toronto, is home to five productive Simons stores, he noted. The Square One store also saw a 3% increase in sales in its fiscal year — and while the store has helped somewhat to increase brand awareness for Simons in the GTA, its location was too remote for most who live in the region and frequent other malls....

...Leblanc wouldn’t confirm rumours that La Maison Simons would open a downtown Vancouver store in part of the 230,000 square foot three-level Nordstrom building that was once home to an Eaton’s store. Sources had told Retail Insider that there was a possibility that La Maison Simons could take part of the former Nordstrom space at CF Pacific Centre, along with other retailers. We’ll follow up on this story when we learn more.

After the damage done to retail business development during the last few decades, our downtown is definitely not attractive to retailers, at least not as much as decades ago. We need to revitalize this by removing set restrictions.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:24 AM

For Toronto Eaton Centre - the former Nordstrom is now fully leased.
213,00 sq ft total (minus a new internal mall corridor)
- 18,000 Nike (main & 2nd level)
- 25,000 Eataly (main and 2nd level)
- 110,000 Simons (main, 2nd and 3rd levels)

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...rdstrom-space/

I think Vancouver's former Nordstrom is bigger - about 230,000 sq ft.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:50 AM

I guess we'll hear something this year..

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Will be 10-20 years behind cities like Toronto, Calgary and Montreal by then.

Time Out Market is fantastic. I've been to the original in Lisbon and the one in Montreal. Toronto doesn't have one but has some similar things.. Calgary has nothing to compare (though they do have Swiss Chalet and Red Lobster! )

Ron.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:40 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
For Toronto Eaton Centre - the former Nordstrom is now fully leased.
213,00 sq ft total (minus a new internal mall corridor)
- 18,000 Nike (main & 2nd level)
- 25,000 Eataly (main and 2nd level)
- 110,000 Simons (main, 2nd and 3rd levels)

https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...rdstrom-space/

I think Vancouver's former Nordstrom is bigger - about 230,000 sq ft.
I'm tending to think this could diminish the chances of Simons taking a portion of the PC Nordstrom space any time soon. I've no doubt Simons' resources are likely stretched pretty thin at this point with the recent opening of the Halifax store and now the Eaton Centre and Yorkdale announcements.

What happened to the rumoured announcement earlier this year for our former Nordstrom being potentially leased by Nike, Zara and Simons?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
I'm tending to think this could diminish the chances of Simons taking a portion of the PC Nordstrom space any time soon. I've no doubt Simons' resources are likely stretched pretty thin at this point with the recent opening of the Halifax store and now the Eaton Centre and Yorkdale announcements.

What happened to the rumoured announcement earlier this year for our former Nordstrom being potentially leased by Nike, Zara and Simons?
I thought this too. But what I think it means is that this same arrangement for Pacific Centre is more certain than before, though it might just take a bit longer to come to fruition.

I would say that – since it's the same landlord (CF) trying to accomplish the same thing (filling leasable area) with the same former tenant's (Nordstrom) space in the same style of downtown hub mall – if they can negotiate a subdivision with these two retailers in this way, it signals that duplicating it here is not only realistic, but inevitable. Obviously the foot traffic and the draw are not on the same level, but since it's a like-for-like comparison, I think this is adding to the certainty we'll see an announcement. Maybe it's Eataly and another retailer besides Simons for the Vancouver space in the end.

The Simons' CEO's choice of phrasing when he was asked this week about Vancouver says to me there are active, productive negotiations going on; otherwise, if nothing was happening or there was just casual back-and-forth with CF, I think he would have just flat-out said "no".

Simons seems to have been careful and methodical about its expansion over the last decade since growing outside Quebec. They also spent a ton of money on a massive new distribution centre recently, so it's not just the capital expense of opening those three other stores that they have to think about. If interest rates continue to slide, it could also increase the chances that Simons is willing to take on debt in order to expand.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:01 PM

They almost went bankrupt during the pandemic as well

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...ada-expansion/

They did $650 million sales last year across Canada so it's still pretty tiny.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Time Out Market is fantastic. I've been to the original in Lisbon and the one in Montreal. Toronto doesn't have one but has some similar things.. Calgary has nothing to compare (though they do have Swiss Chalet and Red Lobster! )

Ron.
Yeah, agree that Time out Market is fantastic!

However, looks like you don't know Calgary well enough:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Fir...qymg?entry=ttu

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/The...gqj5?entry=ttu

Just two that I know of at the Beltline. These ones are not large but they are really good and have great ambience for dining.

By comparison, Vancouver is just rather backward in recent times, although many of us still think we are superior.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:27 PM

I don’t see Calgary listed on the Time out Market website. Says one is coming soon to Vancouver though.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I don’t see Calgary listed on the Time out Market website. Says one is coming soon to Vancouver though.
I think the reference is to food halls.

Calgary has the First Street Market and one other. First Street Market has really great food stalls, nice atmosphere etc. Food and drink is very affordable as well.

https://fsmyyc.com/

Toronto has several of these types of places with a few more in development. We are seemingly very behind on this front.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 8:38 PM

Aren’t lonsdale quay and Granville island food halls/markets?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
More a generation behind for the most part though similar, with offerings calibrated closer to a mall food court (disposable plates and cutlery) than ten restaurants which happen to share seating and often a common bar which serves alcohol (frequently alcohol service also happens with servers).

I am not sure Vancouver's light industrial rents are low enough (and zoning permissive enough) to enable it to happen.

I think First Street Market came about because they had to do retail due to the location, but the demand wasn't there for normal CRUs. So instead of being left empty, they tried something different. Whether they are yielding anything close to CRUs, no idea.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Also the River Market in New West. Nearly a dozen food businesses in there. All independent ones or local chains too.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:57 PM

The only one I can really think of in Vancouver is the international food fare on Hornby, which as an FYI is amazing if you want a bite downtown for lunch.

We are behind Toronto on this one, Calgary has one really, so not exactly leaving Vancouver in the dust. That said food halls are not the be-all end-all of dining, Vancouver has a lot of great stand alone options so no one will be going hungry any time soon. Also the food truck scene in Vancouver fills the need of the food halls you see in Calgary Toronto etc... since their food truck scene is not as good (or in Toronto's case downright horrible) and their weather lends itself to more indoor options.

With that said I'm excited to Time Out and maybe some more options downtown to fill out Vancouver's already great dining scene.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 12:32 AM

whats the difference between a food hall and a food court? they seem the same to me

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 7:30 AM

Quote:
Cadillac Fairview in no rush to fill former Vancouver Nordstrom site

Despite people like Retail Insider owner and consultant Craig Patterson telling BIV that “you don’t need to be a brain surgeon to connect the dots,” the reality, according to mall co-owner and property manager Cadillac Fairview yesterday, is that all leasing discussions for the former Nordstrom space in Vancouver remain at an extremely initial stage.

BIV asked Tummonds if she could confirm that discussions had taken place with representatives at La Maison Simons and she said “No.”

BIV asked if this was because the discussions were confidential, and she said that was not the reason.

“In all transparency, honestly, they are initial discussions,” she said of talks her company was having with potential tenants. “Nothing is agreed to, like none of it. It’s not like we’re even close to anything getting done.”

All options remain on the table, such as breaking up the space in various ways, she said.
From Glen Korstrom, BIV https://www.biv.com/news/retail-manu...m-site-9069600

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
I'm actually (pleasantly) surprised by her candor. I would normally expect an exec to say "no comment" and revert back to a boilerplate comms dept statement of "we are exploring many options at this time" etc...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
I don't consider Granville Island or Lonsdale Quay to be part of the City of Vancouver.

Granville Island = federal territory
Lonsdale Quay = City of North Vancouver.

The food services there do resemble the likes of modern Food Halls, I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
whats the difference between a food hall and a food court? they seem the same to me
Food Courts usually have mall-type fast food chains as long-term tenants. Many of these food centres have sub-par services and upkeep. Food Halls have more one-of-a-kind or boutique gourmet food stalls and not just ubiquitous ones traditionally found in North American malls. Some of the Food Halls have breweries and businesses possess liquor license. I find that people hang out longer in Food Halls rather than Food Courts, especially for the working crowd.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Boomer English vs. Gen Z English?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy