HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 1:29 AM

As far as the "Statue of Responsibility"
I am okay with it if it truly is privately funded, but I don't like the renderings, concept or message of it.

I'm not sure that I like it when people tack on new ideas to old and iconic pieces of art.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:32 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
As far as the "Statue of Responsibility"
I am okay with it if it truly is privately funded, but I don't like the renderings, concept or message of it.

I'm not sure that I like it when people tack on new ideas to old and iconic pieces of art.
First time hearing about it.

I mean, I know art is in the eye of the beholder but....

Quote:
If enough funds are raised, the 300-foot statue will be constructed on the former site of the Utah State Prison, at the Point of the Mountain.

I'd rather just see "Hollywood Sign"-style block letters on the mountain above that spells out "D R A P E R" before I'd like to see that 300-foot-tall eyesore.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:30 PM

Seems like spending $300M on bettering people's lives in some meaningful way instead of building a self-congratulatory monument would be the true "monument to responsibility", but what do I know.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 11:50 PM
Exit 298

Sounds more like a Statute To Irresponsibility, imo.

Had no idea it was that expensive.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 1:24 AM
Let It Rise!

This is something that needs to be on the West coast to complement L Liberty on the East coast.

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:14 AM
Exit 298

I question the purpose of the Statue of irResponsibility.

Is the goal to create an iconic figure to associate with the city? In the way that...

Seattle = Space Needle

San Francisco = Golden Gate Bridge

Los Angeles = Hollywood Sign

I always figured Salt Lake's symbol was the Salt Lake Temple. I'd much prefer that to this ugly monument to... whatever it's a monument to.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I question the purpose of the Statue of irResponsibility.

Is the goal to create an iconic figure to associate with the city? In the way that...

Seattle = Space Needle

San Francisco = Golden Gate Bridge

Los Angeles = Hollywood Sign

I always figured Salt Lake's symbol was the Salt Lake Temple. I'd much prefer that to this ugly monument to... whatever it's a monument to.
I'm sure there will be a massive pushback. It's one thing to put this where its not blocking a view of some sort, but I cannot imagine staring at the beautiful Wasatch mountains with this eyesore in the way. I agree - this absolutely sucks and should never be mentioned in the same breath as the Statue of Liberty. Put it in the Nevada desert somewhere, so it can be a nice roadstop.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 4:52 PM
Engineer

After reading about it a bit I like the idea of the statue. I don't think it will be anywhere near as iconic as the statue of liberty (or the eiffel tower, or the space needle). Partly because it's not as aesthetically pleasing (imo) but also because it would be in Draper, Utah. If it's privately funded I can't say I'm opposed, though the state would have to donate the land, which I guess is fine.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:13 PM

I think the idea feels like a bad sequel to an iconic movie.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 5:56 PM

Major downtown highway could get tunnel treatment as part of new sports district plan
https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...=snd-autopilot
By Robert Gehrke
| May 30, 2024, 12:00 p.m.
| Updated: 2:00 p.m.

A vision of Ryan Smith and his Smith Entertainment Group’s new downtown sports and entertainment district includes tall, gleaming buildings, lining a long promenade leading right to the front door of the Delta Center, the home of the Jazz and Utah’s new professional hockey team.

Missing from the near-futuristic cityscape is 300 West, also known as John Stockton Drive. The six-lane state highway that moves roughly 16,000 cars and trucks per day appears submerged underneath the promenade in renderings presented at a city council meeting earlier this month.

Smith’s group is at least considering burying the heavily-traffic route between North Temple and 100 South, and using the area above the tunnel to install the new pedestrian mall and entertainment district depicted in the rendering of the district.

Smith’s representatives have been careful to emphasize that they are preliminary proposals and not the final product. A spokesperson for SEG reiterated that point when asked to comment on plans for 300 West.

But sinking the state highway is more than a fleeting notion, as earlier this month SEG’s planners were gathering data on the feasibility of the concept.
“Every large city has to deal with this and there are less expensive ways to do it and more expensive ways to do it,” he said. “If the sky’s the limit and you don’t have a budget constraint, sure, put the heavy vehicles underground and remove that conflict.”

But in terms of opening up the west side of the city, he said a better proposal is the Rio Grande Plan’s vision of burying the railroad tracks that run west of downtown, creating better traffic flow and freeing up 75 acres of developable space.

“To me, those are much more impactful,” he said. “If you’re going to invest that kind of money, that’s where I’d put it.”

-----------

Interesting comment at the end there about the Rio Grande!

Last edited by ucsbgaucho; May 30, 2024 at 7:59 PM. Reason: added info

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:00 PM

That monstrosity of a statue would fit perfectly into Budapest's Memento Park.

"Where communist statues are laid to rest."
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/m...ary/index.html

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:15 AM

I think it goes without saying on this forum, I’d much rather see an iconic building be built with 300 million incorporated into the design with a spire or something that the donors and artist could all be happy with. Ditch the statue

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah_Dave View Post
I think it goes without saying on this forum, I’d much rather see an iconic building be built with 300 million incorporated into the design with a spire or something that the donors and artist could all be happy with. Ditch the statue
That could be really cool. A useful high-rise that is also, literally an art piece.

Last edited by RC14; May 31, 2024 at 4:46 AM. Reason: Typos

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 3:23 AM
Space Magi

Tbh it's not the height or meaning or funding that people have a problem with.

It's that the statue is ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but most eyes seem to agree on this one.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 4:54 AM

^
For me, it's everything about it. But the fact that's ugly is definitely the biggest negative.

I don't like the fact that they want to effectivly create a second statue of liberty. I think a "statue of responsibility" sounds more like an expensive national lecture then a source of national pride. I don't like that it's not on the west coast. That was the original intent, and if you're going to do this, San Francisco makes the most sense. If it is going to be in Utah, Draper is a pretty lame Location for it. Maybe downtown Salt Lake or overlooking the Great Salt Lake?
Oh, and did I mention that it's ugly?

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 8:37 AM

I’d love a giant statue that wasn’t an eyesore.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 4:39 PM

How about something like the South Korea Double spoke-less wheel? Not saying build a Ferris wheel but making something that is actually ground breaking in design even if it’s common as a landmark in its older design

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 5:00 PM

Question: I live in San Antonio and drive around the city quite a bit. Outside of the downtown core (which is still very unimpressive for a city/metro of this size), there are quite a few 10+ story buildings. Along freeways, medical center, other neighborhood pockets... so my question is, how many 10+ story buildings are there in the SLC CSA outside of the downtown core? Couple in Ogden and Provo? IHC in murray? Sugarhouse? Sandy? Seems to be not very many....

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:33 PM

Not many. According to Emporis, Provo has 3, although I'm not all that familiar with Provo so I don't know if that's entirely accurate. Ogden has at least 2. I think there's just 1 at the U of U. There's the IHC Hospital in Murray. The City Plaza Apartments next to the county offices are another. I don't think Sugarhouse even has any (though I think the one under construction next to Fairmont Park - Alta Terra? - might be 10 stories, I can't remember for sure). I don't think the North Temple corridor has produced any. I don't think any of the tech offices on Silicon Slopes are that tall either.

I can't think of any other places there might be some, though there are areas I haven't been to for a while.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Not many. According to Emporis, Provo has 3, although I'm not all that familiar with Provo so I don't know if that's entirely accurate. Ogden has at least 2. I think there's just 1 at the U of U. There's the IHC Hospital in Murray. The City Plaza Apartments next to the county offices are another. I don't think Sugarhouse even has any (though I think the one under construction next to Fairmont Park - Alta Terra? - might be 10 stories, I can't remember for sure). I don't think the North Temple corridor has produced any. I don't think any of the tech offices on Silicon Slopes are that tall either.

I can't think of any other places there might be some, though there are areas I haven't been to for a while.

How about Jordan Commons?Is that 10+?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West