HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 1:54 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula3lem123 View Post
Abravanel IS the Salt Palace, like they're the same building,
In fairness, the county did a GOOD job making them blend together:

Same kind of brick. And a facade that extends over the lobby.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:00 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Is the museum considered part of Abravanel? I thought that was also a separate building from the hall.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:07 AM
Exit 298

Isn't the museum building also the lobby?

It's been 10 years. But if IIRC, the multi-level entry to the seats is in a big triangular shaped building that has an all-glass wall.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:11 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

It's also been around 10 years for me + I was in elementary school so I barely remember anything.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:12 AM
Exit 298

Well, today I learned that what I *thought* was the lobby, is actually the art museum. The lobby itself is inside the "box" of the hall building itself.

Well, now I'm committed. I'm OK with demolishing the museum and rebuilding it inside the development. But the hall stays (lobby and all). There's no excuse for not accommodating a very small rectangle inside a massive development.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Well, today I learned that what I *thought* was the lobby, is actually the art museum. The lobby itself is inside the "box" of the hall building itself.
This quote exemplifies the problem with the Abravanel Hall advocacy. It comes from a place of emotion and not logic and it certainly doesn’t factor in the condition of the building.

For causing this entire stink I hope Abravanel Hall is left completely alone. Zero renovation. Zero upgrades. Nada. Nothing. Give them exactly what they want. It’s obviously perfect the way it is.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:30 AM
They all float down here

The Utah Museum of Contemporary Art was built basically around the same time as Abravanel Hall, so that's why a lot of people likely think they're located in the same building.

You can see the complex here in this aerial of the Salt Palace from 1978 (so, around the time the two opened):

I think one issue is just how the hall will connect to the block. The actual theater box would be a dead space facing the pedestrian area connecting West Temple and 200 West. I wish there was a way they could renovate to have it open up into the block.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 4:10 AM
high-floor train enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I think one issue is just how the hall will connect to the block. The actual theater box would be a dead space facing the pedestrian area connecting West Temple and 200 West. I wish there was a way they could renovate to have it open up into the block.
Well, they need more lobby space right? Make an extension of the lobby on the side of the hall such that there can be an entrance on the south side from the pedestrian promenade. The theater box would still be dead space, and probably larger to provide a bigger backstage, but you could theoretically do this right?

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 1:13 PM

I would be interested in seeing the Disney Performance Hall and its 9 hundred-plus seating configuration superimposed over the much larger shoe box shape of Abravanel. Could be that in order to give Abravanel the desired seating updo they would only be reshaping the performance hall and stage itself. Currently, seating wise the Abravanel shoe box is too long at the back end where the money pit drain is occuring. Not sure exactly the width of Disney Hall when compared to the width of Abravanel. Reconstructing the very massive and beautiful Abravanel lobby would be unnecessary.

Anyway, guessing is great fun. What if anything happens to Abravanel in the way of a remodel, I'm sure far more expertise than any of us can provide will resolve the issue. I'm looking forward to getting the answers. Most likely for now, the Abravanel structure itself will remain as is until a future date.

Something I've been hoping for some time now. I'm a big fan of the Nordstrom Front on W. Temple. However, admittedly at this point in time I think that the W. Temple side of City Creek is under-developed. If funds were not an object I would like to see Nordstrom reconfigured vertically with another floor and open up the south end as a pedestrian thoroughfare connection. Ultimately, I wish the Marriott family and their substantial stock percentage funds would just demo the current Marriott and put up a more worthy new tallest J.W. Marriott or even an upscale Ritz or St. Regis multi-purpose hotel/residence tower. The Marriott Corp. controls both iconic brands. Of course, before the smallish Marriott can be demoed, Arrow Press Sq. needs to get its act together and replace the temporary loss of 500 hotel rooms. Hopefully, what is soon coming in the way of westward redevelopment will spur developer investment in finally realizing the potential of Arrow Press Sq., Main and 1st South's Southwest corner, and of course Hines. Also, restoration and reuse of the Dinwoody, and redevelop all of the missing and broken teeth on that block. One can always hope.

Last edited by delts145; May 21, 2024 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:39 PM
West bench livin'

As someone who has performed in both the Disney Hall and Abravanel, I would be ecstatic if they were to remodel Abravanel along the lines of Disney... with more seating! The acoustics in Abravanel are good, but the audience experience is less than ideal. Would a Disney-like makeover require a complete demolition? I'll leave that to the experts. I will also say that there are rumors floating around that there are a couple of proposals floating around Temple Square to build a Concert Hall complex with a 3,000 seat hall and a plaza amphitheater on the northwest corner of North Temple & West Temple. If it stays true to the plans I've seen, it'd be an interesting alternative to Abravanel Hall.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 5:35 PM

In kind of disappointing news the Univesity of Utah has purchased the lot on 400s and State and the adjacent Brown mid rise tower. I have always thought this would be a wonderful site for 1 to 2 towers, but with the University looking at building student housing on the lot I wouldn't expect anything that tall. Hopefully they at least attempt to engage the street level, it is a great spot for that.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:05 PM

/\/\/\What's so disappointing about that? They've been looking at doing student housing towers. Btw, where did you hear this? Can you post your information?

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
/\/\/\What's so disappointing about that? They've been looking at doing student housing towers. Btw, where did you hear this? Can you post your information?
He’s likely referring to the BSL article: https://buildingsaltlake.com/the-uni...wntown-campus/

Last edited by mattreedah; May 21, 2024 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:55 PM

Maybe dissapointing is a bad word to use. I am just skeptical it will have any substantial height to it. Alas whatever they build will be far better than a vacant lot though.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:06 PM
of SLC

Not all need be tall.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:27 PM

I don't think we're going to be disappointed...The new goals for the U are similar to what ASU did. Take a look at one of the buildings...

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 11:34 PM

I hope you're right Orlando. Something like that would be a great addition to that corner. I like the coloring for Downtown also.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:27 AM

I think the U buying that 400 S and State St block is generally good news. That could be a fantastic corner for a tall student housing building, and university-related buildings are bound to bring more pedestrian activity. Either way it would be a huge improvement over what's there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
The Abravanel Hall thing cracks me up. It’s so far on the fringe of that area. It’s not even on the list of top ten things around the Delta Center that would get sucked into a redevelopment black hole. The drama around it feels so astroturfed like it’s either a way for city leaders to look like they’re doing something to look relevant (by saying this building will be protected) or it’s from the Abravanel stakeholders themselves trying to wedge themselves into this debate to grift money off of all this investment for a retrofit. Honestly, just the usual theatrics we’ve come to expect from the glorified HOA that is the Salt Lake City Council.
Discussions about potentially demolishing Abravanel Hall were very real.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:29 AM

(double post)

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I don't think we're going to be disappointed...The new goals for the U are similar to what ASU did. Take a look at one of the buildings...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West