HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:30 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I’ve always found it funny that there’s 6, 7, 8 and 9 in the north. In that order, too.

(On the other hand, in the south, there’s only 2 and 3, and it’s hard to call that a pattern.)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 4:40 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Curb skimping out?, drive down the Chief Peguis extension and see how poorly built that cheaped out asphalt roadway is with all the bumps and dips and overall crappy surface!
Yep. Even the drain culverts eastbound left lane, right before Gateway, have stuck out a bit, along with the undulating and bumpy road along the way.

Had they made the whole trail concrete instead, like the initial stretch between Main and Lag, we wouldn't have this conversation.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yep. Even the drain culverts eastbound left lane, right before Gateway, have stuck out a bit, along with the undulating and bumpy road along the way.

Had they made the whole trail concrete instead, like the initial stretch between Main and Lag, we wouldn't have this conversation.
yeah at the CPT workshops awhile back I'd been pushing the city to use reenforced concrete for the next phase between Main and Brookside, it makes a huge difference as you can see with both the perimeter and also centreport.

I really hate when they cheap out and only use gravel with a thin layer of asphault like they did for the last section of CPT. Yeah I've noticed its already buckling and ruts are starting to form.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:59 PM

I guess the good thing about P3's is the contractor has to pay to fix everything. Hopefully the City has some type of requirements in their contract about when the repairs need to be done and to what extent.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpish View Post
yeah at the CPT workshops awhile back I'd been pushing the city to use reenforced concrete for the next phase between Main and Brookside, it makes a huge difference as you can see with both the perimeter and also centreport.

I really hate when they cheap out and only use gravel with a thin layer of asphault like they did for the last section of CPT. Yeah I've noticed its already buckling and ruts are starting to form.
They did the same thing on McGilvary around the RT overpass

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
They did the same thing on McGilvary around the RT overpass
That project was a little more interesting in that they put a foot of 3/4 down on top of the existing concrete and then the asphalt. So the concrete is still under there. The increased elevation of the road helps drainage too.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:06 PM

For context, Winnipeg is known as a concrete city because historically all our roads are concrete. That in unusual and we are an outlier. Asphalt pavement is the most common.

Now some will get into our soils and how they suck. This is true. However, a benefit to asphalt is you can mill and fill relatively cheaply to repair the asphalt. I've noticed the City has been doing a lot of this work over the last couple months. Repairing intersections and such. This is how it should be done. Repair before you need a full reconstruction.

Talking about thin asphalt layers. Chief Peguis was thicker, something like 10" IIRC. That's not thin. On McGillivray where they did the limestone over top the concrete. The put down something like 6" layer of asphalt.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 5:36 PM
Ignore these four words.

W. Clement parkway seems to be holding up pretty well. I believe that is asphalt. One of the nicest stretches of road in the city.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:11 PM
There is always a way

It's all in the road base. If that's done poorly no amount of asphalt will help. Concrete either for that matter.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It's all in the road base. If that's done poorly no amount of asphalt will help. Concrete either for that matter.
All I know is that Centreport Canada Way is Solid! I love the loud whirling sound my tires make when taking the on-ramp to centreport from the perimeter. You can hear and feel the solid surface compared to most roads in the city. ✌️😂

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
W. Clement parkway seems to be holding up pretty well. I believe that is asphalt. One of the nicest stretches of road in the city.
It is a great road, but I'm reasonably certain it's concrete.

They also cut grooves into the pavement a year or two ago - some sort of treatment to make the surface last longer.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
It is a great road, but I'm reasonably certain it's concrete.

They also cut grooves into the pavement a year or two ago - some sort of treatment to make the surface last longer.
A number of the major Winnipeg streets are now getting diamond ground as a way to extend the pavement surface for a number of years before Asphalt overlays or complete slab replacement are required.

Just did a quick look and apparently the city started having contractors diamond grinding pavement in 2008 (3 locations) and they expect to extend the life of the surface by 15 years with the grinding.

Last edited by cllew; Sep 22, 2018 at 3:06 AM. Reason: added some info

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 6:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpish View Post
All I know is that Centreport Canada Way is Solid! I love the loud whirling sound my tires make when taking the on-ramp to centreport from the perimeter. You can hear and feel the solid surface compared to most roads in the city. ✌️😂
Oh I wouldn’t call it perfect. They just last year had to replace an entire off ramp due to it cracking. And the joints from solid going to bridges have been patched up countless times now amd STILL suck. Hence why you see black tire marks going on or off the bridge decks as it’s a huge bump.

Amd no it has f all to do with climate and what not. Some bridges that have been built earlier do not have this issue at all. It was poor site prep and soil compaction at CPT. If you watched how 59/101 was done it was totally done different and is smooth. As they did not just back fill clay. They used gravel and packed and packed and packed it.

Drive a loaded trailer over CPW and watch your loads get airborne. It’s not as bad as the Pembina Hwy one and railway one as that your trailer does get completely off the ground even when doing 80

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:45 PM

CPT took one year. They likely know it's going to settle but weighed the risks of doing it fast and cheap. Purposley giving you a shitty roadway because of money. They made a decision somewhere along the way to do it like that.

59/101 took 3 years. They preloaded the embankments to make it settle. Put in whick drains everywhere to get water out. They did it right. We'll see how it holds up!

This is also a comparison of a P3 project vs design-build. So things are done differently.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
CPT took one year. They likely know it's going to settle but weighed the risks of doing it fast and cheap. Purposley giving you a shitty roadway because of money. They made a decision somewhere along the way to do it like that.

59/101 took 3 years. They preloaded the embankments to make it settle. Put in whick drains everywhere to get water out. They did it right. We'll see how it holds up!

This is also a comparison of a P3 project vs design-build. So things are done differently.
P3 projects have to be done to the usual COW design standards as the operator has to turn it over to the city in like new conditions at the end of the P3 contract.

Plenitary Roads on the Disraeli P3 is always doing work to keep it up as they must figure its less expensive to do the small repairs now than have to have a balloon cost at end to do major repairs.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 7:02 AM

You guys should enjoy this video. It came up in my YouTube recommended videos for some reason.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
P3 projects have to be done to the usual COW design standards as the operator has to turn it over to the city in like new conditions at the end of the P3 contract.

Plenitary Roads on the Disraeli P3 is always doing work to keep it up as they must figure its less expensive to do the small repairs now than have to have a balloon cost at end to do major repairs.
The City does have standards, but they're not applied universally.

Like I said on the Transitway, there is a very strict roughness index, called IRI. I can't remember what the numbers are off hand, but it's very tight. That is most definitely not in place on CPT. That road is u[p and down allover the place.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 4:14 PM

Also, sweet video!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 5:07 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I’ve always found it funny that there’s 6, 7, 8 and 9 in the north. In that order, too.

(On the other hand, in the south, there’s only 2 and 3, and it’s hard to call that a pattern.)
It was a pattern. There were other patterns as well, such as numbering lesser highways that connected two major ones with a number that combined the major highways’ numbers. ‘13’ linked 1 and 3, ‘67’ linked 6 and 7, or ‘68’ linked 6 and 8, for example. But with years of renumbering and extensions of the original routes, the old patterns are hard to make out now.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 10:49 PM

always love your Manitoba encyclopedic knowledge ^^^

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan