HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:38 PM
if I sang out of tune

By J T Singh, www.jtsingh.com

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:39 PM
if I sang out of tune

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:39 PM
if I sang out of tune

the view again

By Blackstation, http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackstation/

Last edited by muppet; Jul 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 12:40 AM

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing Muppet... and thanks to the photographers for their exceptional work. Looks like a pretty amazing city to me... hope to visit some day.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 2:13 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
When you try to do what Paris,NY, London, Vienna etc. had done which took hundreds of years in 20 years you run into problems and quirks. Its to be expected you cant just line up Giant developments like supertalls,Mass transit, highways,sidewalks,bridges,tunnels etc. and expect it to all work when you only spent a few years at the drawing board. Each in itself takes a few years or decades to plan properly. Though Im confident that Shanghai and cities facing similar technical issues will sort them out as time goes on.
See, this is where people forget that Shanghai (while not an ancient city) is still old, especially by North American standards. It's not some 21st century pop-up city. Spending a couple of days walking around the place will confirm that. I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp this on SSP. SSC seems to.

There has been a constant settlement of people in Shanghai since the 11th century. The city was one of the world's largest at the beginning of the 20th century, and had a population of over 6,000,000 by 1950. Most of Puxi (where 10,000,000+ people live) runs on a grid not unlike Chicago or San Francisco.

Lujiazui is not representative of all of Shanghai. I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said in this thread before it sinks in, but I'll keep reminding people until it does.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 6:54 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I visited that urban planning museum last year. Best of its kind anywhere. The number of skyscrapers in Shanghai is or will very soon be the most in any city on the planet. Emporis is vastly behind on its catalogue and listing.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 10:43 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Its to be expected you cant just line up Giant developments like supertalls,Mass transit, highways,sidewalks,bridges,tunnels etc. and expect it to all work when you only spent a few years at the drawing board. Each in itself takes a few years or decades to plan properly.
I'm quite certain you haven't been to Shanghai, if you think that Shanghai is lacking in 'mass transit, highways...bridges, tunnels, etc.'. Shanghai's transportation network is second to none, IMO, and is undergoing continuous improvement every year.

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; Jul 22, 2013 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Muppet, mind-blowing photos. Fantastic.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 7:14 PM
if I sang out of tune

Thanks, Shanghai isnt a new city. People tend to forget by 1292 it had a population of 300,000 after becoming the major port of the lower Yangtze - more than 4x larger than Europe's largest city at the time, Constantinople (Istanbul). However when a centuries long ban on ocean going vessels was put into effect, and the coast fell victim to decades of marauding Japanese pirates, the population declined to 200,000 by the 1680s (but still would have been Europes 4th largest city).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai

When the ban was lifted and the city saw a resurgence, once again becoming the main port of the region, it was 550,000 by the arrival of the British in 1842, despite being technically a 'village' having never upgraded it's status in the Chinese courts - and hence why many colonists referred to the place as a sleepy fishing village before their arrival. Although technically they were right, and it was not one of China's main cities either, the 'village' would have still maintained it's position as 4th largest city in Europe at the time, behind London, Paris and Constantinople and ahead of St Petersburg, Berlin, Moscow or Rome.

Last edited by muppet; Jul 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
See, this is where people forget that Shanghai (while not an ancient city) is still old, especially by North American standards. It's not some 21st century pop-up city. Spending a couple of days walking around the place will confirm that. I don't understand why people can't seem to grasp this on SSP. SSC seems to.

There has been a constant settlement of people in Shanghai since the 11th century. The city was one of the world's largest at the beginning of the 20th century, and had a population of over 6,000,000 by 1950. Most of Puxi (where 10,000,000+ people live) runs on a grid not unlike Chicago or San Francisco.

Lujiazui is not representative of all of Shanghai. I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said in this thread before it sinks in, but I'll keep reminding people until it does.

Guys learn to read the post correctly before becoming homers....i know its very old and diverse its no Dubai. Is just had major developments in urban development and expanding density and scale. Its hard to make that work perfectly in only 20 years.I love shanghai no hard feelings...

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I'm quite certain you haven't been to Shanghai, if you think that Shanghai is lacking in 'mass transit, highways...bridges, tunnels, etc.'. Shanghai's transportation network is second to none, IMO, and is undergoing continuous improvement every year.
Been there done that...I never said it lacked i simply said building out all these public works and on this massive scale comes with its unforeseen complications...Rome wasn't built in a day.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Trust me on this, Shanghai is overplanned. In terms of transport, it now has the world's biggest metro too, and has become the world's biggest port, plus is now China's most visited city, overtaking Beijing. It has more hotel rooms than any other city in the world, more than India alone (already 240,000 way back in 2009). It also has to house, feed and find employment for up to 10,000 newcomers a day - all without devolving into shanty housing, mass unemployment, traffic and crime. The way it's planned is on a knife-edge - visit the Shanghai Urban Planning Bureau's showpiece museum in the main park and you'll see what I mean. Alot may be under construction, but it still manages to be one of the most liveable and better looking of China's megacities (compare it to the inhuman, ring-roaded, traffic and smog choked Beijing for starters). Also Chinese law stipulates x amount of people must live within y vicinity of z amount of green space.

-All this means alot of building and recalibrating the place - so much so the city's in danger of being stifled by planners. The days of the traditional shikumen housing are ending, with the Urban Planning museum now a popular stop for older residents checking out what will happen to their neighbourhood, on the vast scale model of the planned city to come:

http://static.neatorama.com
Thank you for having some sense and sharing my sentiments when understanding why shanghai has its struggles and how its trying to deal with them. Wasnt city bashing ppl...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 1:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The speed that this is rising is amazing. Chinese construction techniques always impress me. So tall yet so quick. It makes even the taller towers in Pu dong look small.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 1:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
By J T Singh, www.jtsingh.com

This looks so futuristic. All I can think of is some city in the video game HALO.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 2:56 PM

Quote:
This really doesn't look like a place on Earth.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 3:18 PM

I will say the scale of these buildings works much better in Shanghai than it would elsewhere given the breadth of the river, but I still think I'd prefer to look at Lujiazui from across the river than walk around it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 5:47 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ It's like walking towards a pretty girl you like, and when you are finally in front of her you are not that pleased anymore lol.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post

Lujiazui is not as old as Shanghai. Shanghai was developed in a semi orderly fashion without the auto as the main factor for design. In Lujiazui the roads and blocks are recent [and huge] and as the photos above show, the pedestrian AND pedestrian life is removed from the ground and the city fabric. This has not worked in Western cities...I hope it works in China.

Shanghai has great street life and mass transit; Lujiazui.....maybe in the future when the auto, and its movement, is placed second to the human on foot. Until then I will walk in Shanghai and look at the Lujizui skyline and buildings from afar.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:06 PM
if I sang out of tune

...moved to next page

Last edited by muppet; Jul 22, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 11:10 PM
if I sang out of tune

potatoes

Last edited by muppet; Jul 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive