HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I don't see the NHL buying these bonds what-so-ever. That was just pure speculation on McCown's part, not from any source or anything. Frankly, I'm surprised he even suggested such a thing...consider the implications with purchasing the bonds. The legal threat still doesn't go away. Will the owners want to invest in these bonds? How many owners will still be investors in the future? Will these bonds be degraded to junk if suit is filed?

Behind the scenes, something could happen very soon but we won't know for a few weeks at the very least. There have been rumblings that a deadline is today, but if there is, it is akin to the infamous December 31, 2010 deadline.

There is a ton of stuff yet that will have to happen involved in an official deal killed (the Coyotes are not dead yet...) and relocation transfer, etc...

The "matter of days" McCown reportedly was informed of, is all back-door stuff, unfortunately, but still an enticing thought nonetheless
Agreed on all of your points. Furthermore, I would think that the NHL would prefer to maintain a "positive" spin on this whole situation since the likely playoff-bound coyotes have potential to pull in a little extra gate revenue as the playoffs approach. Why sabotage yourself by announcing the deal has collapsed and the team is moving now? Granted, TNSE has to have time to "prepare and market," but honestly, they've been "preparing" for months now, and I'm sure marketing won't be a problem when the news is plastered all over the Winnipeg Free Press, and via their massive database of Moose season ticket / single game purchasers. Heck, I've only purchased tickets a few times to moose (usually get them as gifts), and I'm ALWAYS getting e-mails and yearly fridge magnets from them. Imagine how easily they could blanket us with "GET YOUR NHL TICKETS NOW NOW NOW!!!" emails and fridge magnets.

If we have to pose a poll question on this, I would write it as such:

"If an NHL team is eventually to be declared as relocating to Winnipeg for 2011-2012, what month will the announcement be?
A) March
B) April
C) May
D) June or later
E) TODAY!!!

I would vote B, since I don't see the Coyotes making it far in the playoffs.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:14 PM

Hmmmm Interesting so as the American situation breaks down more and more it is shaping up to be Winnipeg's gain?

I always personally thought that the exodus of teams out of the Sun Belt back to Canada wouldn't happen until Bettman got canned.

Kind of off topic but more and more you notice the NBA and NHL muse Canadian markets. The American situation is toxic, most team owners are leveraged with piles of junky debt and see their teams as carrots they can sell off to balance their portfolios.

Wouldn't be surprised if the NBA and NHL are back in Vancouver and Winnipeg before the end of the decade.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Agreed on all of your points. Furthermore, I would think that the NHL would prefer to maintain a "positive" spin on this whole situation since the likely playoff-bound coyotes have potential to pull in a little extra gate revenue as the playoffs approach. Why sabotage yourself by announcing the deal has collapsed and the team is moving now? Granted, TNSE has to have time to "prepare and market," but honestly, they've been "preparing" for months now, and I'm sure marketing won't be a problem when the news is plastered all over the Winnipeg Free Press, and via their massive database of Moose season ticket / single game purchasers. Heck, I've only purchased tickets a few times to moose (usually get them as gifts), and I'm ALWAYS getting e-mails and yearly fridge magnets from them. Imagine how easily they could blanket us with "GET YOUR NHL TICKETS NOW NOW NOW!!!" emails and fridge magnets.

If we have to pose a poll question on this, I would write it as such:

"If an NHL team is eventually to be declared as relocating to Winnipeg for 2011-2012, what month will the announcement be?
A) March
B) April
C) May
D) June or later
E) TODAY!!!

I would vote B, since I don't see the Coyotes making it far in the playoffs.
I wish it was E

I agree, I think it might be between A and B, only because should Coyotes indeed need relocation, the NHL has two options:

1) Announce before playoffs are over. If they do this:
- Phoenix fans will at least know the team is leaving
- Winnipeg will have tons of hype time, TNSE may be able to hype people up with their plans, have interviews, etc...

or

2) Announce post playoffs.
- Phoenix fans will all of a sudden wake up the next day with a "Coyotes are moving" (on page 5) of their sports paper. For the sake of fans, this is not fair.
- previous relocations were confirmed before, during the season

It really is hard to predict, and there are way more things to consider than just what I stated...its like only the tip of the entire iceberg, and I think we'll get an idea from what COG start saying within the next few weeks.

Anything can also still happen, but one thing is for certain: Silence is golden. TNSE is banking it in right now with all their silence.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:49 PM
BANNED

I want the Coyotes....can't wait.!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 7:22 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

pleas read the 3rd party posting protocals

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 8:13 PM

Another story... more of the same.

Phoenix Coyotes Saga: Goldwater Institute Involvement Could Result in Relocation
By
Joe Mikolai
(Correspondent) on March 1, 2011

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...-in-relocation

One bold Coyotes fan wrote under the thread "Update, ball in GWI's court": "If GWI was going to more than issue strongly worded statements, they would have done so way before now."

Not only is it that typical kind of arrogance that only wishes this team get relocated all the sooner from fans like that, but it also shows the ignorance of the statement. The Goldwater Institute is a legal organization with quite an impressive track record. While I'm neither going to list the cases, nor say they are the best litigation team around, yet they appear to be on par with everyone else. Why some fan would suggest their involvement isn't genuine or basically calling their bluff is beyond me.

The user, "Coyotes rock" was quickly corrected, accurately by the user, "Yote Dude", who wrote "GWI doesn't have to do anything, they are already doing it by scaring off investors to buy the bonds....."

This user would be absolutely correct.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 8:27 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
Why wouldnt Bryzgalov want to play in Winnipeg?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns14...layer_embedded

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 3:54 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I'm kinda pissed off, I'll be honest. I was like tv hoping for it to be the Thrashers. Mostly because I like hitting up the Vegas-Phoenix-LA triangle during the coldest part of winter, and it's been nice having hockey in 2 of the 3. Now I'll have to forgo the thrilling metropolis that is Phoenix.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 7:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I'm kinda pissed off, I'll be honest. I was like tv hoping for it to be the Thrashers. Mostly because I like hitting up the Vegas-Phoenix-LA triangle during the coldest part of winter, and it's been nice having hockey in 2 of the 3. Now I'll have to forgo the thrilling metropolis that is Phoenix.
just stop in winnipeg and then u will have much nicer weather to injoy when ur down there

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 4:39 AM

This is currently on the front page of TSN.ca:

MCKENZIE: COULD THE NHL RETURN TO WINNIPEG NEXT SEASON?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=356192

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 8:11 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if the NBA and NHL are back in Vancouver and Winnipeg before the end of the decade.
Hey now, lets not talk crazy here.

You do realize it's 2011, and that the decade only begun?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 2:08 PM

Matt Hulsizer

He just posted on his twitter "Preparing my speech to concede the Coyotes..." what does this word concede refer to. My dictionary says it can both mean to accept or accept failure. Now that doesn't help as both are possible scenarios. Also he called Bettman real small which was kinda funny.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
He just posted on his twitter "Preparing my speech to concede the Coyotes..." what does this word concede refer to. My dictionary says it can both mean to accept or accept failure. Now that doesn't help as both are possible scenarios. Also he called Bettman real small which was kinda funny.
My guess is that in this context, he is accepting failure in acquiring the Coyotes. Plus, you don't call Bettman "real small" if you are still wanting to get an NHL franchise. Could be good news for Winnipeg.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 3:12 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
That isn't a real Twitter account.

Even says "parody account" in the description.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 4:22 PM

I sent an email to Goldwater Institute and they replied with the following,
"Hi Mr. Allard:
Thanks for sharing your concerns. We continue to pursue our research and analysis while we wait for additional documents from the city of Glendale."

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 5:07 PM

A desperation move to bolster public support? Or simply another card in the house of cards that Glendale continues to build...

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Glendale holding press conference on value of Coyotes

By: Staff Writer

Posted: 03/3/2011 10:39 AM | Comments: 4

The City of Glendale is holding a press conference at 12:30 p.m. Winnipeg time to make a public statement on the value of the Phoenix Coyotes franchise to the region and they're bringing economic leaders out to hammer the message home.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...117321523.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 5:37 PM

^ Is it just me, or is this deja vu

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 6:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

So what's going on with this press conference? TSN has a mention of it but no follow up as to what's being said. Anyone have any idea?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 7:18 PM

It was basically a; it is all Goldwater's fault if they leave. We tried everything so don't blame it on us. They had a few teary staff members ask for them to stay, along the same lines as the seven year old fan. Desperation move.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 7:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Oh, so basically Susan Thompson's press conference, just somewhere warmer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan