HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 1:46 AM

I want a much bigger Ferris wheel. Something twice the size. And a design that's incredibly innovative and can be a participant of skyline icons.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 3:36 AM
BANNED

Those wheels are just silly. They belong at Six Flags.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Those wheels are just silly. They belong at Six Flags.
Who goes to Six Flags for a ferris wheel?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 6:42 AM

Well I suppose the view of tollway and surface parking is much more impressive than that skyline or that ugly lakeshore

In all seriousness, downtown isn't just about residents and office workers. Without our robust tourism economy most of what is north of the river downtown would be dead. Navy pier is an extremely valuable attraction and new amusements are necessary to make it an attraction to revisit. Personally I'm not a fan of cluttering up the lakefront with all that circular sculpture. But an enormous and elegantly designed Ferris wheel is essentially a moving private observation deck. Lets be reasonable. I don't want to see carnival clutter either but I'm not all that worried. It's a concept.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 2:07 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Not a big fan of this.

I would much rather see the actual ferris wheel expanded. Right now the ferris wheel as-is is pretty underwhelming
Agree.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Well I suppose the view of tollway and surface parking is much more impressive than that skyline or that ugly lakeshore

In all seriousness, downtown isn't just about residents and office workers. Without our robust tourism economy most of what is north of the river downtown would be dead. Navy pier is an extremely valuable attraction and new amusements are necessary to make it an attraction to revisit. Personally I'm not a fan of cluttering up the lakefront with all that circular sculpture. But an enormous and elegantly designed Ferris wheel is essentially a moving private observation deck. Lets be reasonable. I don't want to see carnival clutter either but I'm not all that worried. It's a concept.
Exactly. I'm happy they even consider doing things like this with our lake front; not for residents, but for the tourists. I never have a desire to go to Navy Pier, but when I have out of town family and friends come in, it is a destination they would like to go to. I couldnt imagine these circular "scultpures" hurting the lakefronts appeal for the target audience. Speaking of silly, though, a 40 ft Marilyn Monroe or giant 3-D American Gothic on Michigan Ave.. Woof..but hey, the tourists get a kick out of it!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Who goes to Six Flags for a ferris wheel?
By wheels i meant the silly sculptures. A huge ferris wheel would be a much better improvement.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 4:39 PM

Yea, maybe in 1890...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 4:54 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Olive Park definitely needs some creative rejuvenation but I am skeptical that this concept would do much to pull people in.

Its a shame because I think this would be one spot where some temporary structures/kiosks for tourism and restaurants could be a good idea but no doubt there would be a fight or dismissed out of hand do to the lakefront ordinance.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
By wheels i meant the silly sculptures. A huge ferris wheel would be a much better improvement.
My mistake! I totally agree.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Yea, maybe in 1890...
Uh huh.

As a tourist draw, sitting perched atop a 500-600 ft wheel would be far more compelling. The skyline views would be so sick. If the sculpture wheels were temporary, like the Marilyn and American Gothic installations, I'd say go for it. But not permanent. No way.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 5:02 PM

If I'm going for views, wouldn't a 1353' observation deck in the Sears or 1000' from the Hancock observatory be better suited for that need? I wouldn't mind if they wheels were temporary either, but I think it would be a lot of effort for a temporary "exhibit".

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
If I'm going for views, wouldn't a 1353' observation deck in the Sears or 1000' from the Hancock observatory be better suited for that need?
Not necessarily. Views exist at every elevation. One of the best views of Chicago is from the Adler Planetarium, for example. The views from those new modules at Sears, but contrast, kinda suck.

Most observation towers, IMO, are cheesy. But the ferris wheel is tasteful and has cachet, probably owing to the popular and critical success of the London Eye. It also has perhaps more historic relevance to Chicago than any other city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 7:04 PM

I wouldn't say that new Las Vegas Ferris wheel looks very tasteful, but I get your point. To me, Ferris wheels had their time as novelty ride. As a tourist in other cities I travel to, I enjoy open parks with interesting items to look at; opposed to an out of pocket expense for a ride in a wheel the city is trying to get out of me. I'm sure anything will draw people in once people get to Navy Pier, though.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 9:20 PM
TL;DR

Why compete for the tallest Ferris wheel? We have the advantage of being the home of the Ferris wheel... maybe we should reproduce the original 1893 wheel in exact detail? I rode the Riesenrad in Vienna. That vintage feel offered something really unique, instead of the London/Vegas/Singapore/Yokohama/NY of the world, which keep pushing for bigger/taller/brighter.

Because of our lakefront, we can easily find a peninsular site that would offer great views regardless of height. Northerly Island, Promontory Point, Montrose Harbor, South Works, etc.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Olive Park definitely needs some creative rejuvenation but I am skeptical that this concept would do much to pull people in.
Maybe when North LSD is rebuilt and they add parkland between Ohio and Oak street beaches they could push Ohio beach northward allowing it to better integrate with Olive Park. It seems a little silly to have it tucked so far back causing a logjam of tourists/beachgoers/trail users.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 1:42 AM

I don't know where to put this, but its pretty darn terrible and is a visual scar on an otherwise beautiful, vibrant community.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CtaStationWatch

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 2:45 AM

Details of the British School’s South Loop Expansion

Chicago Architecture Blog: Details of the British School’s South Loop Expansion

As a Printer's Row resident, I'm officially excited about the chunk of land I was previously really worried about! The Chicago Architecture Blog has a report from this morning's South Loop community meeting where plans for the British School's development on Roosevelt Collection's property were revealed to the public, as well as answers to questions about the parks we were promised, traffic, streets, etc..

If any of you spies have any higher-quality versions of these slides, please provide!

I'm glad to have my question about the lot just south of Polk answered: it's RC's "Phase 4", or two more towers of residential.

The park situation is interesting. Being able to walk out from the little balcony outside of the Showplace Icon (which is a great view, by the way) and be in a public park would be pretty cool. The soccer/mixed-use field will be "programmed by" the school but open to the public. That should be great for the neighborhood; a nice big field to sit or play frisbee or whatever.

The idea for having a private drive between the school and the Metra tracks is also an interesting solution to the problem of traffic impacts from a fleet of moms dropping their kids off each morning.

I don't like how the city's completion of a 9th street underpass is a mystery, and the design of the parks isn't exactly mind-blowing, but in general this is pretty exciting news for me. If selling that land to the school is what gets McCaffery moving on the parks and towers and retail they promised, so be it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 4:47 AM
TL;DR

What a crappy design for such a cool concept.

That tiny-ass stair McCaffery is providing is unacceptable compared to the awesome staircases we've seen at Lakeshore East. It should be larger and more prominent. It's a huge downgrade from the stair that will be torn down.

New York has an excellent role model in Battery Park City. They could even get really cool and semi-bury the school, so that the rooftop itself would gradually terrace down to the level of 9th Street. Light wells could be used to still get light to classrooms.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 5:02 AM

Yeah, the stairs are pretty weak. I think most will opt for the elevator rather than climbing two stories worth of stairs.

The current stairway up to the plaza level from the north is actually pretty nice, and it will most likely be completely demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development