HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:04 AM

Glad that earlier today and Wikipedia was a false alarm, but for the future, where do we get together if SSP is not around? Asking for a friend/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
...where do we get together if SSP is not around? Asking for a friend/
Well, there is Skyscraper City and Urban Planet. I keep both of those forums updated with Austin info. But Skyscraper Page has been the place to go for Austin urban discussions for at least a decade, although I don't feel confident about it's long term future. I also don't have a feel for the long term health of Urban Planet either, but it's the place to go for a handful of cities. Skyscraper City's future seems to be the most secure as it is a very busy world wide site. The moderation has gotten better thankfully because it used to be like City Data and Reddit.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 1:13 AM

UT just moved all classes online.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:59 AM

Hey guys! I'm actually in Austin until Friday morning and I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations to do/see until Thursday night. I will definitely go around, take pictures of everything and take it all in.

Also, it's seriously super crazy after a year+ of lurking on the Austin side of skyscraperpage that I'm actually here and seeing all of the construction. My first full day is tomorrow as I arrived at 12:30am. I'm pretty excited to experience it all!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Hey guys! I'm actually in Austin until Friday morning and I was wondering if you guys have any recommendations to do/see until Thursday night. I will definitely go around, take pictures of everything and take it all in.

Also, it's seriously super crazy after a year+ of lurking on the Austin side of skyscraperpage that I'm actually here and seeing all of the construction. My first full day is tomorrow as I arrived at 12:30am. I'm pretty excited to experience it all!
We bike ride downtown all the time. I highly recommend renting a bike and cruising around from Rainey to Lamar. Hit the Capitol too.

Definitely get some bbq. Try Terry Blacks, great view from that side of the river as well. Ask for "burnt ends". Don't want bbq, try El Alma (mexican) next door to Terry B's. Al pastor taco and the crema de elota.

Check out live music at Continental Club...just go anytime. Whoever is playing will be great.

Welcome....have a blast.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 5:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:

Welcome to the ATX! Check out SoCo (South Congress). As Urbancore suggested, the Continental Club is there. Zilker Park is a great place for pictures, hike and bike trail. Check out 6th, pretty much from Lamar east past I35 into east Austin. Rainey Street, the Drag (Guadalupe through UT). Don't be afraid to explore, there are all sorts of cool hidden gems scattered throughout the city.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 5:29 PM

Quote:

Welcome and enjoy your visit. Wear comfortable shoes. Can't wait to see some photos from your perspective.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 10:54 PM
Meh

Bike riding is the best way to see downtown. It's much easier to jump from neighborhood to neighborhood, and then lock up and walk a bit if you want. And if it's views you want, check out the hike and bike trail along Auditorium Shores, Butler Park, the long Center and the boardwalk.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Bike riding is the best way to see downtown. It's much easier to jump from neighborhood to neighborhood, and then lock up and walk a bit if you want. And if it's views you want, check out the hike and bike trail along Auditorium Shores, Butler Park, the long Center and the boardwalk.
To everyone here, your city is absolutely beautiful and I love everything about it. It has basically everything I want in a city. A beautiful trail in your downtown right next to a river, live music + drinks downtown EVEN on a Wednesday night, a TON of food trucks everywhere in the city and a GROWING DOWNTOWN with plenty of construction.

@KevinFromTexas, I took a scooter today and did everything you mentioned + Zilker park. I went to Terry Blacks too and asked for the burnt ends as @urbancore mentioned. REALLY GOOD LIKE WOW. It's pretty up there with Franklin's which I tried yesterday morning.

Honestly, this is the best city I've experienced with an electric scooter so far. I wish I had more time to even take pictures of all of your construction. I'm REALLY sold on moving here and I'm really excited!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 9:38 AM
Meh

Exclamation

So...the first two cases have been confirmed in the Austin area this morning. Also, AISD has canceled classes for the day.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...public-health/

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...-class-friday/

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 10:20 AM

time to panic

Quote:
So...the first two cases have been confirmed in the Austin area this morning. Also, AISD has canceled classes for the day.

time to panic

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 12:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:

The man was transferred from a medical unit from an outlying area, because he needed intensive care treatment, so it is unlikely he could have spread it to anyone.
The woman was visiting from Houston and knew someone from the cluster there, so hopefully she’ll be quarantined until she returns home and anyone she knew in Austin is in 14 day isolation. She had just gotten here.
And apparently the testing kits are finally coming out for real so we can find out how the whole country is doing. It’s better to know than not to know because at least you know what you need to do to fight it.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 10:33 PM

Went to HEB, Randals, Walgreens, a Shell Station and a Texaco Station, no f'in milk and no f'in toilet paper and no f'in white bread. Plenty of chocolate hummas and kidney beans though. Walgreens is limiting one (1) roll of toilet paper per customer. That should hold us until.....what time is it??? Never seen anything like it. The stadiums, arenas, ballparks are empty to avoid close contact with people. The stores are elbow to elbow full of panicky people. But that's ok??? Oh the irony... HEB is changing their hours effective immediately, 8am to 8pm starting tonight. Expect long lines at 8am tomorrow and a stampede to the tiolet paper section. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 12:37 AM

If you want a loaf of white bread then go to Rudy's BBQ and buy some meat.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
If you want a loaf of white bread then go to Rudy's BBQ and buy some meat.
Hahaha, there's always a catch. Final score, 1 roll of tp and a loaf of rye bread, and a vision of a chicken running around frantically screaming "The sky is falling ya'll", in my head.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 12:54 AM

The city just banned gatherings of anything larger than 250 through at least May 1. That’s pretty much the final nail in our convention business through the rest of the spring.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
The city just banned gatherings of anything larger than 250 through at least May 1. That’s pretty much the final nail in our convention business through the rest of the spring.
Layoffs will begin soon.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 3:21 AM

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 4:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Don’t worry, Genral. Perhaps worse is actually better. We can have the guys in the haz-mat suits magically appear, like they did in China, and deliver us bags full of FREE groceries AND toilet paper.
I hear they’re doing just fine over there now.
Maybe Drummer will show up and tell us how it will get much better, in a few weeks.
Don’t worry; be happy!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2020, 8:53 AM

we need to calm down

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin