HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:43 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 5:18 PM

ahahaha that video made my week!!!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 7:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

kudos to brian scot

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Light & dark

Winnipegger's photo blog explores two sides of our beloved, reviled city

By: Alison Mayes
Posted: 26/08/2010 1:00 AM

BAR ENTRANCE, EXCHANGE DISTRICT, 2008

ANOTHER WOLSELEY WINTER, 2008

WINNIPEG WINTER STORM, 2008

ALBERT STREET, 2008

The lines and textures of Winnipeg's grand old buildings -- banks, churches, apartment blocks, halls of learning -- can be gorgeously photogenic.
But decaying warehouses, abandoned theatres and streets devoid of pedestrian life are constant reminders that this city's boom years are long past.
Bryan Scott's most popular photograph on the Internet, and most purchased as a print, is not an architecture shot. It's an image of ghostly beauty, titled Winnipeg Winter Storm, that he took in Assiniboine Park during a blizzard. The temperature was -39 C. "It was one of those days that makes people really hate Winnipeg," he says.
Scott has licensed his Winnipeg photos for use in annual reports and other publications. The largest user of his images to date is Manitoba Film & Music, which publishes an annual guide to entice out-of-town producers to film in Manitoba locations.
Here's a sample of the kind of heartfelt comment that gets posted on Scott's blog: "I have a very strange relationship with Winnipeg... Over the last few weeks of following your blog, I have actually been moved to tears by some of your photos. The beauty you show me in a place that's shown me so much ugliness can be overwhelming. I just wanted to thank you."

We've got magnificent examples of neon and painted signs from decades gone by, but that's partly because economic stagnation prevented many commercial buildings from being torn down or spruced up.
Winnipeg: we treasure it and despise it. We escape it and then, in some hard-to-articulate way, we miss its ugly/beautiful, gritty/graceful character.

"That's something that all Winnipeggers can relate to," says photographer Bryan Scott. "Everybody's got those mixed emotions. The love and hate are kind of wrapped up in each other."
Scott, 36, is attracting a following with his blog Winnipeg: Love & Hate (www.winnipeglovehate.com), on which he invites the world to explore "the most beautiful, most repulsive city in the world" through his photography.
Launched two-and -a-half years ago by the part-time, architecture-loving lensman, the blog has grown to some 1,300 images.
"I hope that the photos presented here depict a Winnipeg that often goes unseen and unnoticed; a multi-layered, architecturally rich city that is more than just the snow and mosquitoes for which it is (sadly) most well-known," he writes.
About 200 visitors engage with Scott's images each day. The photos are usually captured downtown, empty of human life and dominated by architecture or signage. People write comments describing them as "magical," "stunning" or "hauntingly beautiful."
The site receives hits from all over the world, but is most visited by current Winnipeggers and homesick ex-Peggers in cities like Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary.
"Some of the posts go viral and spread like wildfire," says the dark-haired, mild-mannered Wolseley resident, who spends an average of two hours a day shooting and editing photos.
"I've gotten a lot of emotional responses. A recent one said (the photos) brought tears to her eyes. I think that kind of thing always comes from the expats -- the people who hated Winnipeg, and now that they've gone, they miss it. I think most of my print sales come from those people as well."
Prints can be ordered, starting at about $28, through Scott's linked arrangement with the website imagekind.com.
Scott shows signs of becoming a Henry Kalen for the Facebook generation. Kalen, the much-respected local architect/photographer who died in 2004, has been a major influence. "Without his work, I don't know if I would have started shooting Winnipeg. I owe a lot to his book (Henry Kalen's Winnipeg) and his online archives at U of M."
Winnipeg: Love and Hate is stylishly designed by Scott, who works full time as a graphic designer for an advertising company. It includes a rotating roster of quotations about Winnipeg, from wildly optimistic endorsements from the "Chicago of the North" boom years to Guy Maddin's quip, "Demolition is one of our few growth industries."
Scott's biography is pure Winnipeg. He grew up Jewish in Tuxedo, his father the owner of the Wescott Fashions garment factory (makers of Great Scott jeans), his mother a homemaker.
There are other artists in the family, but it took Scott a while to find his path. He earned a BA in film studies at the University of Manitoba, then a degree in architecture (environmental design). That's where his passion for photography and the built environment really took hold. He then went to Red River College and earned a diploma in graphic design.
He doesn't vow to stay in the Peg forever (he confesses that Chicago is his favourite city) but he tied the knot this summer with Jennifer Upton, a fashion buyer. They're moving into their first house in the still-affordable Scotia Heights neighbourhood.
"It's hard being a 30-something creative-minded person living in Winnipeg, after seeing so many people leave," he admits. "I would say 80 per cent of my professional friends have left."
Scott, who shoots with a digital Pentax K-7 camera and is self-taught, processes about half his images with a technique called HDR (high dynamic range). "HDR allows you to expand the tonal range... so you've got detail in the dark spots and bright spots in the photo," he says.
As he puts it on his blog, "It brings out details and textures that get completely lost with traditional images."
HDR can lend photographs a painterly, surreal or supernatural quality. In many of Scott's photos, it makes the sky appear dramatic, buildings look majestic and mysterious, and interior lighting seem to glow invitingly.
Some people hate HDR and find it artificial, Scott freely admits, but "I think I do it fairly well. After years of experimenting... I use it to add a special something, without hitting people over the head."
John Paskievich, another local photographer whom Scott greatly admires, finds the HDR gives some of the Winnipeg: Love and Hate photos a mood of foreboding.
"There's kind of a gothic quality," says Paskievich. "They're disturbing, how he manipulates the light. It gives a kind of 'release the hounds' look... I expect hounds to be running out, either from the University of Manitoba admin building or the North End Salisbury House."
Scott says about his subject choices, "I kind of just chase the light. Lately, I've mostly been going out when there's something spectacular about the sky. I never really know where I'm going."
Scott, who plans to publish a book of his photographs, says he has received the odd complaint that Winnipeg: Love and Hate encourages a negative view. He disagrees.
"I think the overwhelming majority (of the photos) would fall into the 'love' category. A lot of the comments I get are that I've somehow, magically, managed to find the beauty of Winnipeg."

alison.mayes@freepress.mb.ca

Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 26, 2010 E10

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 8:28 PM
Armchair urbanist

I have a feed setup via Google Reader and enjoy his pictures.

He's got a side project:
http://www.allthewaytonowhere.com/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 3:15 AM

Un-real pictures.

I am astonished.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 8:38 PM
I am a typical

MSH Building

It looks like a commieblock being attacked by office towers.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 9:22 PM

is that the boutique/condo project?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 9:39 PM
I am a typical

On Assiniboine Avenue, yes.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 12:25 AM

is it still going forward?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 12:54 AM
I am a typical

As far as I could tell, it is on its way to being a stale proposal. I think we've got about a year left before we'll change its status to that on the diagram system, if there is no new news about it.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 1:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
is it still going forward?

It is still going ahead, from what i have last heard. It is being retooled without the hotel portion. It will remain the same size and height though.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 1:58 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Hopefully it gets redesigned in the process.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 3:29 AM

I was sent this link in an email. It may be of interest to others here: The August 1958 Winnipeg Visitors Guide

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatesquirrels View Post
I was sent this link in an email. It may be of interest to others here: The August 1958 Winnipeg Visitors Guide
Thanks so much for that, it was quite entertaining browsing through the pages.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2010, 8:55 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Yeah, that visitors guide was neat to check out, especially the old ads. Thanks for posting.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 9:55 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Did anyone else see this yesterday? When I was coming home from work, walking near City Place on my way to the BP lounge for some drinks, there seemed to be an invasion force taking over downtown comprised of 14-year-old girls dressed as hookers. WTF!?! I was going to investigate further, but then quickly recalled that there was to be a Beiber concert at MTS Centre.

Many of them were amassing behind a rope line by CTV's studios, presumably for autographs. Then while I was continuing down the sidewalk on Hargrave, coming towards me was a small group of outwardly enthusiastic 30-to-40-something year-old women on route to the MTSC, with their tits hiked-up to their chin, carrying signs decorated with hearts, glitter, etc. Such a double-standard, 'eh? Imagine if there were a pack of middle-aged men acting sexually provocative and whooping it up for Nikki Yanofsky or some other 16-year-old female starlet... no doubt, security or even the police would be urgently summoned to deal with them. However, I highly doubt the CMHR will feature this inequality, ha ha.

But I guess that today's feminism is celebrated and executed by dressing acting as trashy as possible. Macleans Magazine even had a good column on this trend recently.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 10:06 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Did anyone else see this yesterday? When I was coming home from work, walking near City Place on my way to the BP lounge for some drinks, there seemed to be an invasion force taking over downtown comprised of 14-year-old girls dressed as hookers. WTF!?! I was going to investigate further, but then quickly recalled that there was to be a Beiber concert at MTS Centre.

Many of them were amassing behind a rope line by CTV's studios, presumably for autographs. Then while I was continuing down the sidewalk on Hargrave, coming towards me was a small group of outwardly enthusiastic 30-to-40-something year-old women on route to the MTSC, with their tits hiked-up to their chin, carrying signs decorated with hearts, glitter, etc. Such a double-standard, 'eh? Imagine if there were a pack of middle-aged men acting sexually provocative and whooping it up for Nikki Yanofsky or some other 16-year-old female starlet... no doubt, security or even the police would be urgently summoned to deal with them. However, I highly doubt the CMHR will feature this inequality, ha ha.

But I guess that today's feminism is celebrated and executed by acting as trashy as possible. Macleans Magazine even had a good column on this trend recently.
Ha thats so funny and somewhat disgusting you seen that. To further add to that you should attend under age parties it doesn't get any prettier. The only reason I know as I worked as security for a few it made me feel like ripping my eyes out.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 1:56 AM

I saw it on Carlton by the MTSC ramp. Cougars on the prowl. Stomach turning.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 2:48 PM

I remember sitting on my front step watching girls walk by on their way to the bus stop to see Justin Timberlake ... they were literally disrobing as they walked away from their parents' house.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 1:51 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Ahh, to be chased by 13 year old girls again. That was the life.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan